TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
Dougmeister

Copying shows from old Tivo to new

Is there no way to batch move shows directly from one Tivo to another? (i.e., more than one at a time)

I have a Premiere and am thinking about buying a Roamio. I have Tivo Desktop installed and thought I read somewhere that, once downloaded to the computer, I could "push" them to the new unit. Is that true?

So my options are:

1) Set up new Roamio and queue one show at a time (copied directly from Premiere to Roamio)

2) Copy all Premiere shows to computer, then push to Roamio with:

a) Tivo Desktop, or
b) pytivo

Reference links:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=514434
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=508564
Dougmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
truman861

you can do it as a batch if you are using the Tivo desktop software - to your comp at least.
From there then it has to be a one by one going back to the tivo.
(and hope you dont have Time Warner as they block transfers :-(

Roamio Plus (Master)
3 Tivo Mini's (living room and kids rooms)
3 x Premiers (retired)
Tivo series 3 HD (retired)
Tivo series 2 with PLS (retired)
MoCA
CC: Cisco PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
T.W. Brighthouse Tampabay - Moving to Verizon Fios
truman861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougmeister View Post
Is there no way to batch move shows directly from one Tivo to another? (i.e., more than one at a time)

I have a Premiere and am thinking about buying a Roamio. I have Tivo Desktop installed and thought I read somewhere that, once downloaded to the computer, I could "push" them to the new unit. Is that true?

So my options are:

1) Set up new Roamio and queue one show at a time (copied directly from Premiere to Roamio)

2) Copy all Premiere shows to computer, then push to Roamio with:

a) Tivo Desktop, or
b) pytivo

Reference links:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=514434
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=508564

As far as I know, Desktop doesn't push, batch or otherwise, but it will batch pull.

You have to select each show individually from Desktop's "Pick Recordings to Transfer" page, you can't select the entire folder of a particular shows episodes on the TiVo because Desktop doesn't see those folders, just the shows.

You can toggle between date recorded and titles alphabetically on the "Pick Recordings to Transfer" page, if that helps.

But once you've selected the shows you want to copy, it's one click and they get copied in the order you selected them even it you're talking 20 or 30 shows.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
wpatters1229
web Guy

Just wish there was a trick to be able to select more than one program from the recorded programs for setup to transfer from the older boxes to the Roamio. I am having to select each one and que them up on the Roamio's todo list....one at a time. Takes forever. Anyone know a trick like holding down the shift key or ctrl key on a PC?? I understand that once in the todo listing they will download one at a time...that is fine.

Why not do it like tivo.com does with moving a season pass from one tivo to another. It could just be used to setup the todo list and then all the transferring could be done one at a time like normal. The back and forth to setup the todo list for transfers is really time consuming. Tivo.com under your account can see The shows on each machine so setting up a que would be easy via the web site.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
wpatters1229
web Guy

Additional question: I finally setup all the transfers from my old tivo series 2 to my new roamio and can see them on the roamio todo list. Each has a single check mark next to them. But they are not transfering. If I go to try to play one just to see what it says it says that is will download shortly but it never seems to. Is there some sort of priority for transfers or something that has to be done to get them started? Is there a setting?
Old 04-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
jtdan381

Desktop Plus should allow xfer from TiVo to PC back to another TiVo box.
jtdan381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpatters1229 View Post
Additional question: I finally setup all the transfers from my old tivo series 2 to my new roamio and can see them on the roamio todo list. Each has a single check mark next to them. But they are not transfering. If I go to try to play one just to see what it says it says that is will download shortly but it never seems to. Is there some sort of priority for transfers or something that has to be done to get them started? Is there a setting?
The priority for transfers (copies, actually) is the first one you selected starts transferring and when it finishes the second one you selected starts and so on.

Go into your main Now Playing List to see which ones have actually been copied over.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #8
caughey

What unitron said. If you have a program transfer in progress, the blue circle on the front of your Roamio should be lit, the program should appear near the top of your To Do list with a blue circle next to it, and should appear in your My Shows list with a blue circle beside it. If you have a lot of transfers in your To Do list but none are actively transferring, that may require a little head scratching.
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:05 AM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Might try a reboot on the Roamio. Sometimes, a Tivo thinks it has a transfer in progress when it doesn't. I call it a "ghost transfer".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 AM   #10
CraigThom

TiVo Desktop will push, at least the Plus version. I have it set up to automatically send all videos that land in my iTunes podcast folder to my Premiere (and my series 2 before that). You may need to move your saved shows into another folder, then set TiVo Desktop to automatically transfer that folder.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:46 AM   #11
jrtroo
User

Also, S2 boxes will transfer fine, but slow slow slow, even though they are not HD.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThom View Post
TiVo Desktop will push, at least the Plus version. I have it set up to automatically send all videos that land in my iTunes podcast folder to my Premiere (and my series 2 before that). You may need to move your saved shows into another folder, then set TiVo Desktop to automatically transfer that folder.
But can Desktop Plus "push" .tivo files from the PC to a TiVo?

Old 04-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #13
CraigThom

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
But can Desktop Plus "push" .tivo files from the PC to a TiVo?
I tested it this evening and, no, it will not. So never mind.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThom View Post
I tested it this evening and, no, it will not. So never mind.
I thought not, it just lets you "publish" stuff that ain't .tivo files to the TiVo.

But the TiVo can pull them from the PC running Desktop, and you can select one show after another until you've lined up all the ones you want and it'll keep on copying 'til it finishes the list.