TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #541
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaul5364 View Post
Could someone send me a link to the image for a 746320? I don't have enough post to PM.
Thank you!
PM sent.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #542
st40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd4878 View Post
Greg (ggieseke),
I recently had a TCD748000 die and I don't have a backup image.
Can you send me the link by PM to download your virgin backup?
I'd send you a PM but the forum won't let me because my account is too new.

Thanks!
-Jerry
Hey Greg (ggieseke),

I also just had my TCD748000 hard drive fail. Would you please also send me the link via PM for the backup? Like Jerry, my account is too new to send you a PM directly.

Thanks very much! Steve
st40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:41 AM   #543
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by st40 View Post
Hey Greg (ggieseke),

I also just had my TCD748000 hard drive fail. Would you please also send me the link via PM for the backup? Like Jerry, my account is too new to send you a PM directly.

Thanks very much! Steve
Done.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #544
st40

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Done.
Hey Greg,

Thanks very much! I'll give it a try this weekend, and hopefully we'll be back up and running soon.

Steve
st40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:53 AM   #545
kgr

Hey Greg
Any chance you could PM me the link to the download too. My TCD748000 also has a dead drive.

TIA
kgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:08 AM   #546
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgr View Post
Hey Greg
Any chance you could PM me the link to the download too. My TCD748000 also has a dead drive.

TIA
PM sent.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:50 AM   #547
DensityK

Could someone send me a link to the disk image of the TCD748000? The hard drive on mine just died, and there is no way to salvage the hard drive via the copy methods. I would be so appreciative if I could get a copy of the image so that my lifetime subscription on this tivo isn't wasted.
DensityK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:31 AM   #548
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DensityK View Post
Could someone send me a link to the disk image of the TCD748000? The hard drive on mine just died, and there is no way to salvage the hard drive via the copy methods. I would be so appreciative if I could get a copy of the image so that my lifetime subscription on this tivo isn't wasted.
PM sent.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #549
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Is it just me, or should some TiVo owners be buying new drives in preparation for what seems to be a trend of drive failures on one or two models I keep seeing failure reports on, with image requests?

Is everybody truly confirming the drive is at fault?

EDIT/ADD: This post has nothing to do with the drives listed in my signature.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:13 PM   #550
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Has there been any progress for support of the newer Roamio drive backup yet?
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #551
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Is it just me, or should some TiVo owners be buying new drives in preparation for what seems to be a trend of drive failures on one or two models I keep seeing failure reports on, with image requests?

Is everybody truly confirming the drive is at fault?

It does seem a little early for later model S4 drives to be failing and I wonder if a lot of it isn't the TiVo software on them getting scrambled, which we all know is by no means impossible.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #552
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
It does seem a little early for later model S4 drives to be failing and I wonder if a lot of it isn't the TiVo software on them getting scrambled, which we all know is by no means impossible.
That does happen, which is why I am suspicious about the reports.

The TiVo Service induced "Random Reboots" had people shopping for drives, just assuming their drive was failing, without stating they had made any efforts to test their drives.

OTOH, the "update borked my drive" issues of earlier times often was the result of the alternate partition becoming the active partition, and revealing there were bad sectors there, once pulled for testing with the mfg diags.

I guess it's getting to the point where some would rather buy a replacement drive, than invest the time and effort into testing the one they have, for whatever reasons. If that's what they want, we can't force them to do otherwise...

The Roamio doesn't use the same alternating partition scheme, AFAICT. But, those aren't the ones I'm seeing so many requests for here. It's the 748's that seem to be "dropping like flies"...
Old 04-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #553
ggieseke

I'm showing 57 downloads on the 748 image since I posted it a year ago. The 746 image is at 108 for comparison. Requests do seem to have spiked a bit lately but I don't know if it's hardware related. Most of them are just people stuck in boot loop hell.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:38 AM   #554
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Has there been any progress for support of the newer Roamio drive backup yet?
I'm working on a drive to drive copy/expansion program, but a backup to image program for Roamios isn't on my radar at all. DvrBARS can't handle anything over 2TB even with additional code to read the new headers.

You can back up your SPs and channel selections with kmttg, and disaster recovery on a Roamio is as easy as plugging in a new blank drive.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:00 PM   #555
jmbach

Quote:
I'm showing 57 downloads on the 748 image since I posted it a year ago. The 746 image is at 108 for comparison. Requests do seem to have spiked a bit lately but I don't know if it's hardware related. Most of them are just people stuck in boot loop hell.
And if everyone who got an image from you donated a dollar you would have enough money to pay another year of storage.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #556
lpwcomp

One factor that should be considered - multiple tuner, HD capable TiVos are far more stressful on hard drives than previous models.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #557
DensityK

Thank you so very much for the 748000 image Greg. I bought a EURX hard drive off of Amazon and used DvrBARS to restore that image.

The problems initially began when the Tivo would just freeze while watching recorded programs, it would eventually 'unstick' and continue. Then one day we lost power and when the tivo started to boot back up it just froze at the "Welcome, Starting Up" screen. When I pulled the hard drive and attached it to my computer it came up with a bad SMART monitoring message and my attempt at backing up the drive resulted in over 500 write errors due to the disk failure.

I am disappointed, but not surprised that Tivo does not offer a disk image. Hard drive failures are a reasonablely common occurrence. Any company that sells a ~$300.00 device plus a ~$499.99 lifetime activation should support that product to the best of their ability for what could be considered a 'lifetime'. Thankfully this community provides support that prevented me from having another very expensive paperweight.
DensityK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #558
ggieseke

Quote:
Thank you so very much for the 748000 image Greg. I bought a EURX hard drive off of Amazon and used DvrBARS to restore that image.

The problems initially began when the Tivo would just freeze while watching recorded programs, it would eventually 'unstick' and continue. Then one day we lost power and when the tivo started to boot back up it just froze at the "Welcome, Starting Up" screen. When I pulled the hard drive and attached it to my computer it came up with a bad SMART monitoring message and my attempt at backing up the drive resulted in over 500 write errors due to the disk failure.

I am disappointed, but not surprised that Tivo does not offer a disk image. Hard drive failures are a reasonablely common occurrence. Any company that sells a ~$300.00 device plus a ~$499.99 lifetime activation should support that product to the best of their ability for what could be considered a 'lifetime'. Thankfully this community provides support that prevented me from having another very expensive paperweight.
They have never provided images, but the new Roamios will rebuild from scratch given a 3TB or less blank drive. That's pretty cool, and the fact that they turn a mostly blind eye to 3rd-party software is great.

I'm glad it worked out.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #559
lpwcomp

Quote:
At least they are not currently actively pursuing people who provide such images and making them remove them.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #560
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
At least they are not currently actively pursuing people who provide such images and making them remove them.
That's true. The FTP site that used to host a cache of them was always being shut-down, as well as the moderators here frowning-upon members publicly helping other members by posting links outside of PMs.

I always figured the forum sponsors were behind most of it. But, TiVo could have been a force behind the FTP site shutdowns. I still have a drive somewhere, containing everything that was on that site.

Full-disclosure: The FTP site had the "Instant Cake" iso on it. So, it still might have not been TiVo.

I'm also very happy that TiVo hasn't been going after image-sharing, and 3rd-party utility distros. I keep hearing WK, and others, have some sort of agreement with TiVo. The original home of Instant Cake advertised they did. We have no proof of it, that I'm aware of...
Old 04-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #561
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
I'm working on a drive to drive copy/expansion program, but a backup to image program for Roamios isn't on my radar at all. DvrBARS can't handle anything over 2TB even with additional code to read the new headers.

You can back up your SPs and channel selections with kmttg, and disaster recovery on a Roamio is as easy as plugging in a new blank drive.
Replacing the drive yes however the problem though is the protected content, as for example the HBO etc which that isn't a big deal as typically they re-run the same movies over and over but if you purchase a HD movie off Amazon which is tied to the box, if you lose the drive, you lose the purchase (Gravity HD I paid $20 bucks for!). I doubt Amazon will refund my money or offer an additional download ability in say, two years from now should my Roamio drive go bad which it will eventually since no hard drive last forever.

I would PAY to have a utility that would back up my Roamio drive as I suspect others might too if reasonable priced. I can understand the issue would be to properly enforce the copyright protection as I can see it possible for some one to distribute a image that contains a series of desirable HD movies.....
TiVo Premiere

Old 04-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #562
ggieseke

Quote:
Replacing the drive yes however the problem though is the protected content, as for example the HBO etc which that isn't a big deal as typically they re-run the same movies over and over but if you purchase a HD movie off Amazon which is tied to the box, if you lose the drive, you lose the purchase (Gravity HD I paid $20 bucks for!). I doubt Amazon will refund my money or offer an additional download ability in say, two years from now should my Roamio drive go bad which it will eventually since no hard drive last forever.

I would PAY to have a utility that would back up my Roamio drive as I suspect others might too if reasonable priced. I can understand the issue would be to properly enforce the copyright protection as I can see it possible for some one to distribute a image that contains a series of desirable HD movies.....
Content protection isn't really an issue since all the recordings are encrypted and will only play on that TiVo. I just don't know how many people would dedicate 3 or 4 TB and pull the drive just to back up their content.

I'll keep it in mind.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #563
HerronScott

Quote:
Amazon digital purchases aren't tied to the TiVo you "purchased" it on. I can go to my Video Library on Amazon and download purchases to any of our 3 TiVo's (I think someone has mentioned that you can have it on up to 2 at the same time although I noticed that a number of mine indicate 4 download licenses available now).

Where did you get the idea that it was limited to that one device?

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #564
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Amazon digital purchases aren't tied to the TiVo you "purchased" it on. I can go to my Video Library on Amazon and download purchases to any of our 3 TiVo's (I think someone has mentioned that you can have it on up to 2 at the same time although I noticed that a number of mine indicate 4 download licenses available now).

Where did you get the idea that it was limited to that one device?

Scott
You are limited to x number of downloads per what ever is set for a particular content, for example purchased Gravity HD and Amazon allowed 2 downloads. I downloaded once to my Tivo and the other to my PC (which wasn't HD but still counts) and now I have no further option to download Gravity anywere else.

Should my Tivo hard drive go bad, I will no longer have it as one of the downloads was used when it was transferred to one of my TiVo's.

I have all my Tivo registered at Amazon and can have purchases transfered to any of them however they don't allow you to transfer to all of them or allow that content to be transfered to another Tivo on your account once it's downloaded from Amazon. Now I guess as in my example of Gravity, I could have used my 2 downloads to 2 of my TiVo's which would have allowed a better chance of surviving a individual hard drive failure.

In retrospect, I should have just purchased the Blu-ray disk and ripped in order to archive the content, I understand the copyright issues esp with rental content but there needs to be a better provision for maintaining content when you purchase the full digital version.
TiVo Premiere

Old 04-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #565
HerronScott

Quote:
You are limited to x number of downloads per what ever is set for a particular content, for example purchased Gravity HD and Amazon allowed 2 downloads. I downloaded once to my Tivo and the other to my PC (which wasn't HD but still counts) and now I have no further option to download Gravity anywere else.
I don't have a lot of Amazon digital content as I've used it only occasionally to pick up missed TV episodes. Odd that the older Big Bang Theory episode that I did recently still shows all download licenses as available but I did check one that was a few years old and it does only show 1 download available. I was basing my statement on the latest example I had where all the licenses were showing available after we had watched and deleted the episode and the following from Amazon's website.

Amazon Instant Video stores your purchased videos in Your Video Library for re-download so your videos don't have to take up space on your TiVo DVR

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #566
imrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Speaking of that. Can you PM some info on them? I'm too new of a member to PM anyone.
imrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #567
infin

I have a series 2 with 2 upgraded 250gb drives in it, the drives are dying so i went to go back it up. It made me select "full" option since it detected both drives. The image it backed up is only 240gb, did it only backup one drive? or is this normal? i didnt see a way to select both drives to backup at once, i just selected the main one.
infin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #568
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Content protection isn't really an issue since all the recordings are encrypted and will only play on that TiVo. I just don't know how many people would dedicate 3 or 4 TB and pull the drive just to back up their content.

I'll keep it in mind.
Yes, I see your point however with the much larger drives, you have so much more at stack and with more and more cable companies setting the copy once flag, backing up with Kmttg/desktop isn't as good as it once was. My cable provider just inflicted the copy limits on me this last January and I wasn't aware of the woes of such until just recently.

If my 3tb drive in my Roamio dies with no backup, I will be a basket case.
TiVo Premiere

Old 04-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #569
infin

Quote:
Originally Posted by infin View Post
I have a series 2 with 2 upgraded 250gb drives in it, the drives are dying so i went to go back it up. It made me select "full" option since it detected both drives. The image it backed up is only 240gb, did it only backup one drive? or is this normal? i didnt see a way to select both drives to backup at once, i just selected the main one.
Well i plugged the drive in the Tivo and it said it was missing a previously attached external drive. Let it load and 90% of the recordings are gone. Is there anyway to get them off the other drive?
infin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #570
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by infin View Post
Well i plugged the drive in the Tivo and it said it was missing a previously attached external drive. Let it load and 90% of the recordings are gone. Is there anyway to get them off the other drive?
No, they are stored using both drives at the same time, parts on 1 drive and other parts on the other.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote