TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #151
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post

Because it was an operational issue. If it were a malfunction, I believe the language would be different. TiVoMargret has always called bugs bugs. This fix was reassigning the correct release to the affected boxes. I could see it being a result of suspending the priority roll-out; perhaps they inadvertently moved people out of the queue that had already received it. Either way, it was resolved quickly once it got to TiVoMargret. I'm very glad she doesn't sit on these issues and she follows through (refer to #1-3 above). This is good stuff folks.
The point is that whether human error or code/bug/node/whatever tech related, the explanation was insufficiently clear to those whose boxes hadn't (yet) rolled back to know with any real degree of certainty whether they were in the clear.

No mention of "we have fixed this operational issue to ensure that there will be no further roll backs" or "we did a batch correction to all boxes to ensure that there will be no further roll backs."

I unplugged my Ethernet cable for a couple days and I'm glad I did. Why take the risk? As posted above, some users, once rolled forward, are now fairly farked.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #152
actionj

I agree. It sounded like " a small group of people" got rolled back and I hadn't yet. It sounded like anyone that was going to be rolled back was already rolled back. So I thought I was in the clear when I should have also unplugged my Ethernet cable. But alas, I was rolled back and it screwed up all sorts of things and put all of my deleted shows as undeleted.
actionj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #153
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Besides the first link not even working, the second link goes to an off-topic (non-TiVo-related) thread, in which TiVoJerry seems to be addicted to playing the game, of which the thread is part of (the thread is the game).
Apparently search links expire. Here's a direct link to a post.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...09#post9985409
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #154
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

OK, a couple of my references are exaggerations of the magnitude of a couple things.

I don't see anybody complaining I was exaggerating the positive flip-side points I made with every "before" reference. It reeks of bias, IMO.

I was pointing out positive improvements with TiVo, and within TiVo. So sue me, or get your torches and pitchforks ready. Don't forget the noose.

Please, just "Ignore List" me, if even my positive posts saying TiVo has turned things around, and/or improved, bother you so badly. I suggest the same if anything else I say, or do, bothers you so badly.

It's easy, click on my name, select to view my profile, select to add me to your ignore list.

One-click shortcut to add me to your ignore list & not see what I post: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...gnore&u=258633
Old 04-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #155
lessd

Quote:
OK, a couple of my references are exaggerations of the magnitude of a couple things.

I don't see anybody complaining I was exaggerating the positive flip-side points I made with every "before" reference. It reeks of bias, IMO.

I was pointing out positive improvements with TiVo, and within TiVo. So sue me, or get your torches and pitchforks ready. Don't forget the noose.

Please, just "Ignore List" me, if even my positive posts saying TiVo has turned things around, and/or improved, bother you so badly. I suggest the same if anything else I say, or do, bothers you so badly.

It's easy, click on my name, select to view my profile, select to add me to your ignore list.

One-click shortcut to add me to your ignore list & not see what I post: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...gnore&u=258633
People on this Forum don't hurt other feelings by placing them on the ignore list

Old 04-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #156
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
People on this Forum don't hurt other feelings by placing them on the ignore list
Or they use the excuse that their "reader" somehow nullifies the ignore list function.

Ever notice how often one member keeps pointing out that I'm "on their IL"? That's seem a bit convoluted, amongst other things.

I'll say I'd start using that function if it worked both ways, like say facebook, where one party invokes, and neither can see a trace of the other, even in quotes. If it worked that way here, I'd use it, and be a much happier person.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:52 PM   #157
aaronwt
HD Addict

I got rolled back to 20.3.8 again tonight. Did this happen to anyone else for a second time? I sent a tweet to Margret. I also sent another email with my TSN again.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #158
andyf

Checked my two units, so far so good. Of course my Roamio isn't scheduled to connect until early tomorrow morning. My XL4 called in at 5:10pm this afternoon and it's OK too.

One good thing about getting rolled back previously was I got to update my channels spreadsheet.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #159
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I got rolled back to 20.3.8 again tonight. Did this happen to anyone else for a second time? I sent a tweet to Margret. I also sent another email with my TSN again.
Rolled back a second time? That's crazy.

Has Tivo allowed an employee previously banished to the Premiere line to begin spreading mayhem to the Roamio?
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #160
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

I just got rolled back to 20.3.8. This wasn't the second time, but I was very surprised. I thought they had stopped it.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #161
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I just got rolled back to 20.3.8. This wasn't the second time, but I was very surprised. I thought they had stopped it.
Email Margret with your TSN info. I emailed her mine again last night, and she responded that she would look into it since it was my second rollback. But I won't be able to check my Roamio Pro until i get home from work this evening to see it they updated it again to the new software.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #162
kbmb

Guess the "operational issue" is still.....well.....an issue.

Makes you wonder what's going on at Tivo.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #163
aaronwt
HD Addict

I'm just glad i noticed the pending restart yesterday and was able to apply it. Because if it would have happened at 2Am, things would have been screwed up for me today since I had to go through the guided setup again to get my channels tuning in again. Although right now alot of things are also repeats which also helps since i have fewer recordings scheduled. So while it is kind of a pain to deal with, it could have certainly been worse.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #164
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Email Margret with your TSN info. I emailed her mine again last night, and she responded that she would look into it since it was my second rollback. But I won't be able to check my Roamio Pro until i get home from work this evening to see it they updated it again to the new software.
Thanks, I did do that. She got back to me really quickly and said I was one of 13 rather unlucky boxes that rolled back Triskaidekaphobia anyone?
Old 04-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #165
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

Did anyone watch the re-update (from 20.3.8 to 20.4.1 for the second or third time) notice how long it took? Mine has been on "preparing the update" for 2 1/2 hours, and I'm starting to get worried.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #166
andyf

2 1/2 hours is way too long. Pretty sure you can unplug and re-plug (what else can you do?) and it'll come up fine. Occasionally this happens on an update.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #167
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

Thanks, Andy - I gave up at close to 3 hours and pulled the plug. It stayed on "almost there" for 20 minutes and I pulled the plug again. I'm currently running SMART tests on the drive.

Considering I had trouble with a Mac OSX update yesterday, this isn't turning out to be a stellar week for tech for me *sigh*
Old 04-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #168
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

Well, it officially appears to be dead - stuck on "almost there" for 45 minutes.

Called tech support and they were less than helpful - didn't want to do anything beyond the script, which I get that they need. When I asked about escalating to 2nd tier support, she said "there's nothing more I can do for you. thank you for calling tivo" and hung up.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #169
andyf

I suggest you Email Margret since it appears the downrev/uprev caused your problems. I wouldn't be surprised if she couldn't help you out. Tell her support could do nothing for you.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #170
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
I suggest you Email Margret since it appears the downrev/uprev caused your problems. I wouldn't be surprised if she couldn't help you out. Tell her support could do nothing for you.
If anything, email her and let her know that the tivo support staff continue to be absolutely useless. People would be better off coming here for help!

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #171
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

Thanks - I did the online chat and didn't get a solution, but at least the communication was better this time. They want me to run the overnight disk test and then pay $50 to replace the box.

I truly never understood people's complaints with tivo support until that call - I was horrified! I ran tech support for a small software company (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth), so I know what "problem" callers sound like, and I'm especially sensitive to being that "problem". I never lost my temper, and I certainly never cursed. I will admit to being frustrated, but I don't think I was in any way, shape or form the sort of customer that needs to be hung up on!
Old 04-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #172
jrtroo
User

If your disc is bad, you can just replace it on your own.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #173
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

Tivo got back to me (gotta love twitter!) and they're replacing my box!

In doing the KS54 testing - the first few (quick) SMART tests pass, but trying to run the overnight test fails immediately (can't access /dev/hda (hdb) Whatever the rollback did, it was a doozy.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #174
aaronwt
HD Addict

Luckily my second update back to 20.4.1 didn't have any issues. I rebooted the TiVo when i got home since it had a pending restart.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #175
FACTAgent

I was also rolled back for the second time. Once again, shows were undeleted and channel customizations lost.

Luckily, the update back to 20.4.1 proceeded without incident. I will now make it a daily practice to permanently delete shows I no longer need until this stops.

I think Tivo owes us a better explanation of why this is happening and what they will do to prevent recurrence. Even if it means someone has to lost their job over it...As a process and Quality person, I would prefer a process-based fix, but they need to do whatever it takes to address this.

My wife wants to get rid of Tivo. I am considering filing an Executive complaint if there's a process to do that.

My wife wants to get rid of Tivo.
FACTAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:11 AM   #176
CloudAtlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FACTAgent View Post
I think Tivo owes us a better explanation of why this is happening and what they will do to prevent recurrence. Even if it means someone has to lost their job over it...As a process and Quality person, I would prefer a process-based fix, but they need to do whatever it takes to address this.
Let's put this in proper perspective. This problem affects 13 customers out of the current 4 million. More importantly it doesn't affect me. I understand it's a major annoyance to you but I think we should hold off on anyone losing their livelihood until at least 20 customers are affected.

As a process and quality person you know more than anyone that problems do reoccur even with the best processes in place.
CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:19 AM   #177
moyekj

The first unintentional software rollback affecting 100 people was perhaps understandable/forgivable. For it to happen again despite VP involvement is just complete incompetence no matter how small the number affected. My guess is nobody will be fired over it in this day and age of lack of accountability...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:36 AM   #178
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudAtlas View Post
Let's put this in proper perspective. This problem affects 13 customers out of the current 4 million. More importantly it doesn't affect me. I understand it's a major annoyance to you but I think we should hold off on anyone losing their livelihood until at least 20 customers are affected.
Psst, your true-colors are showing...

I don't see that as putting it in "the proper perspective", more like "your perspective", especially with the lovely "More importantly it doesn't affect me (you)" comment. Then, you assign your arbitrary number of "20 customers" as a threshold... I sincerely now have an improper wish that you had been hit by it, then hit again. I doubt you'd be so complacent, or supportive of TiVo. I keep stating I haven't been hit, but have been supportive of those who have been, or were worried they would be. It would have been easy to claim I had been hit, or hit twice, and align with them. It's against my moral/ethical code-of-conduct to do that, though.

I was just wondering, right before arronwt reported a second rollback, if I had a reason to make sure my Recently Deleted folders on three TiVos should stay empty. I was actually giving TiVo the benefit of the doubt, and not making sure of it, once TiVoMarget made her announcement, and I hadn't seen further reports. Now, I have to feel like if I don't keep clearing them out, and I get hit by this problem, I have to partially blame myself for not doing it, should I be hit, and have to clean up the resulting mess. It's the mentality of the "fanboys", who feel TiVo can do no wrong, and would b-slap me for complaining, that force this convoluted way of thinking, even though it's against the way I'd think regarding any other product I own.

I came very close to responding to those posting they wanted to find a way to block updates, in a not-so-nice way. Now, I'm glad I didn't.

Unfortunately, once TiVo has completed a rollout, they don't make the TiVo service something that is meant to work with TiVos on outdated software (other than designing it to send the current software to those units).

I will not engage in calling for "heads to roll" within TiVo (the true TiVo employees), even if the number of affected reaches the "20" threshold you set, or even another "less than 200", as TiVo claims for the first time it happened.

If anything, I keep feeling like things have gone downhill since TiVo downsized their head-count. I can't help but wonder if they cut too-many, or it's affected the work-ethic of those who remain. That's a valid concern within any company. Things often go downhill in other departments, responsible for completely different things.

Everybody needs to keep in mind that TiVoMargret is a bona-fide, true TiVo employee, while the call-center (and most of the other support-providing people) are not.

I'll happily call for TiVo to pink-slip the whole contract with the outsourced support-provider they have been using. I've publicly called for this many times. These are the support staff that are the meaning of "one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing". Example: During a TiVo service outage, continuing to make people reboot every device, reconfigure their networks, blaming the customer (or customer non-TiVo equipment), while TiVoMargret is publicly stating there is a problem, they are working on it, and repeatedly apologizing.

There used to be a time when there were enough good apples in the call center, that for me to say such a thing, I'd get napalmed. Lately, I don't get a lot of support on that stance, nor do I get vehement objections (or napalmed).

Before anybody makes claims about what the support center people really are, I'll point out that I went on a "truth-finding" mission, and found that it is policy for all support people to state "yes, I'm an actual employee of TiVo", when asked. It is policy for the outsourced support people to make every assurance that you are not speaking to a generic solutions-provider.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 04-25-2014 at 05:42 AM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #179
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
The first unintentional software rollback affecting 100 people was perhaps understandable/forgivable. For it to happen again despite VP involvement is just complete incompetence no matter how small the number affected. My guess is nobody will be fired over it in this day and age of lack of accountability...
There's a perspective I can agree with. I just wish there was a way to find out who the "incompetent" person, or department, is that deserves that designation. Before TiVoMargret came along, I wouldn't hesitate to just call TiVo, as a whole, incompetent, or blame them of incompetence.

I would think I'm not alone in feeling that TiVo's retail customer numbers would be sliding downhill, if we didn't have her. Think about how many bugs/issues she was right on top of, when the Roamio first came out. I had no interest in upgrading, and was considering just letting my older units live out their "lifetimes", and giving TiVo no more business. She turned that around. If she wasn't around, and I had upgraded, I'd likely have used the 30-day money back guarantee.

Now I'm wondering if she has enough power, or resources, to make what needs to change, actually change.

I'll confess, as full-disclosure, that a big part of my upgrade, was the period when I had felt she mostly dropped the ball on the Premiere users, and was devoting all her time and effort to Roamio users. I went where her attention and resources were. The price of admission was switching to Roamios.

I sure hope that the recent state of things is something that will pass. Anybody stating what it is, or isn't, is only speculating.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #180
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Psst, your true-colors are showing...

I don't see that as putting it in "the proper perspective", more like "your perspective", especially with the lovely "More importantly it doesn't affect me (you)" comment. Then, you assign your arbitrary number of "20 customers" as a threshold... I sincerely now have an improper wish that you had been hit by it, then hit again. I doubt you'd be so complacent, or supportive of TiVo. I keep stating I haven't been hit, but have been supportive of those who have been, or were worried they would be. It would have been easy to claim I had been hit, or hit twice, and align with them. It's against my moral/ethical code-of-conduct to do that, though.

I was just wondering, right before arronwt reported a second rollback, if I had a reason to make sure my Recently Deleted folders on three TiVos should stay empty. I was actually giving TiVo the benefit of the doubt, and not making sure of it, once TiVoMarget made her announcement, and I hadn't seen further reports. Now, I have to feel like if I don't keep clearing them out, and I get hit by this problem, I have to partially blame myself for not doing it, should I be hit, and have to clean up the resulting mess. It's the mentality of the "fanboys", who feel TiVo can do no wrong, and would b-slap me for complaining, that force this convoluted way of thinking, even though it's against the way I'd think regarding any other product I own.

I got hit a second time. Sure it could have been a big PITA if I hadn't noticed the pending restart. But luckily I did. Plus there are alot of repeats right now so the effect would have been as bad as say in May, November, or February when everything is new.
Now if my hard drive would have died or something that that would have been bad. But if that was the case it would have happened sooner or later anyway.

And it's not like it deleted any of my shows or Season passes. Only that previously deleted shows came back. i had the sixty or seventy shows deleted again in a few minutes.

I not going to do anything different with my deleted folder. If the shows come back they come back. That only takes a few minutes to delete again. It's selecting my channel list again that takes some time. That took me around 10 to 15 minutes for me to check/uncheck and mark as favorites.