Thanks for all the posts on the bad PSU caps. I didn't think my problem was a PSU but gladly it was.(I know analog repair)
Over 3 days my output went from stuttering to pixelated garbage, like someone kept on hitting pause very fast. Optimum changed my cable cards and claimed the signal was strong enough, and blamed the TIVO.
2 company tug and war:
Tivo had me check out the SNR and Signal Strength. Strength jumped around from 0-33 to 95. SNR I think was varying from 35-8(memory not great).
They said it was the cable company, and I tried to inquire if it could be the box.... NOoooooooooo we are confident in our TIVO Boxes. (well you should have used some nice Panasonic El caps then)
The Fix and Results:
So I replaced only 6 caps. Looking from the front down.... the 2 2200uF caps on the right; replaced with 25V caps (one calls for 16V). front left, 2 470uF/16V caps with the same. And the 2 2200 6.3V caps under the heat sink with 16V ones.
WoooooWhooooooo, now kicking back with some food and French Soccer.
OK signal strength locked in at 100 and SNR at 35-36
RS both at zero
(before it they were like 20-60K I think)
Maybe it's just satisfaction of a job well done, but it looks better. I do plan to replace all those el-caps. I should never have underestimated a PSU cap upgrade. Always the first thing I do for my audio gear that comes through my door.