TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #31
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've always considered it a necessity. Just like a UPS with cordless phones. I've used them with cordless phones since the early 90's. And I've always had my TiVos connected to a UPS. Heck all of my electronics are connected to a UPS. I've never plugged a TiVo into an outlet without going through a UPS.
What you do can't be bad, except for replacing batteries every 5 or so years and using extra power (even when nothing is plugged into any UPS it draws from 5 to 30 watts).

I only used a UPS on my desktop computer, never on anything other than my computer, and I never had a problem, so not using a UPS is not a death knell for everybody. Not anybody I know uses a UPS on anything but a desktop computer, and they never had any problems. (one person had a direct lighting strike on his home, took out all electrical equipment, from his AC and heating to his all his TVs, dishwasher, etc. OH! and his UPS protected desktop computer that was off at the time. Homeowners insurance is great at times.)

Old 04-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #32
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I only used a UPS on my desktop computer, never on anything other than my computer, and I never had a problem, so not using a UPS is not a death knell for everybody. Not anybody I know uses a UPS on anything but a desktop computer, and they never had any problems.
Isn't a TiVo DVR essentially a computer? It seems to have just about all of the essential components that a desktop computer has (processor, memory, hard drive, operating system, etc), so if you should be using a UPS on a desktop, you should also probably be using one with a TiVo.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #33
eddyj

I absolutely have a UPS on my DVRs (no longer TiVos, but the principle applies). We get a lot of thunderstorms, with associated power fluctuations. Every one would cause a reboot, and that means losing a good chunk of any recordings in progress, aside from the wear and tear on the machine.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #34
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
What you do can't be bad, except for replacing batteries every 5 or so years and using extra power (even when nothing is plugged into any UPS it draws from 5 to 30 watts).

I only used a UPS on my desktop computer, never on anything other than my computer, and I never had a problem, so not using a UPS is not a death knell for everybody. Not anybody I know uses a UPS on anything but a desktop computer, and they never had any problems. (one person had a direct lighting strike on his home, took out all electrical equipment, from his AC and heating to his all his TVs, dishwasher, etc. OH! and his UPS protected desktop computer that was off at the time. Homeowners insurance is great at times.)
I don't use necessarily use them for preventing problems with the Tivos, but mainly to make sure I have uninterrupted recordings. Even when I used VCRs in the 90's I used a UPS with them. So I could continue recording if there was a power outage.

I use them with my other devices so I can continue to use everything normally during an outage. So my Tv, receiver, subwoofer, servers, streaming devices, etc. can all be used during a power outage. I live in a condo so a generator is not an option for me. So the 13 or 14 UPSs(most with extended runtime batteries) are the next best thing.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #35
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Isn't a TiVo DVR essentially a computer? It seems to have just about all of the essential components that a desktop computer has (processor, memory, hard drive, operating system, etc), so if you should be using a UPS on a desktop, you should also probably be using one with a TiVo.
I don't use a UPS on my computer to protect it; I use it so if I am using MS office or doing something and the power goes out I can shut down my computer in an orderly way, or in my case in 16 seconds my generator comes on. Windows is not designed to have the power cut off and files may be corrupted and /or data lost if your computer power goes down when Windows is running, TiVo is designed to be cut off from power and only take out the CH buffer.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #36
chicagobrownblue

Premiere - yes, Roamio probably not needed. The basic Roamio I have plugs into a brick that then plugs into the wall, i.e. an external AC/DC converter. My Premiere got hit by a leak into the coax from a lightening strike but recovered. The power surge after the electricity went out fried my Premiere. I don't miss the Premiere a bit with its cludgy HDUI performance; my Roamio is working very well for me. I do have my Roamio on a surge suppressor and the built-in coax surge suppressor.
RCN Signature HD but no premium channels
Panasonic TC-42PX14 42" 720p plasma HDTV
Sony BDP-S360 Blu-ray Player Refurb $59
chicagobrownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #37
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobrownblue View Post
Premiere - yes, Roamio probably not needed. The basic Roamio I have plugs into a brick that then plugs into the wall, i.e. an external AC/DC converter. My Premiere got hit by a leak into the coax from a lightening strike but recovered. The power surge after the electricity went out fried my Premiere. I don't miss the Premiere a bit with its cludgy HDUI performance; my Roamio is working very well for me. I do have my Roamio on a surge suppressor and the built-in coax surge suppressor.
I'm really not sure what difference having a power brick there does. I can't see it being able to stop a major power surge. But regardless, the Roamio Plus/Pro doesn't have a power brick.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #38
NashvilleKat
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
We get a lot of thunderstorms, with associated power fluctuations. Every one would cause a reboot, and that means losing a good chunk of any recordings in progress, aside from the wear and tear on the machine.
WE also get a lot of power fluctuations and that's why I use them. I don't want my DVRs subjected to the power flickers. However, I'm not concerned about the recordings so much. The heck with them. I want to protect my equipment. As soon as the power goes out, I shut down the UPSs and everything plugged into them. BUT if I'm not home, I'll the the UPS take the flickers to protect the other equipment;
NashvilleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #39
aaronwt
HD Addict

My UPSs won't shut down until the batteries are exhausted. That could be bewteen 2 hours and 18 hours depending on the loads I have on the UPSs. My alarm system and router and main GigE switches are good for up to 18 hours. But everything else will last much less since they draw alot more power. My Tivos are good for 12 hours or so during an outage.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #40
hytekjosh

Just switched my Tivo to the UPS outlet. Didn't care before because I was renting from my cable provider but now I bought my own.
hytekjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #41
Bigg

I just my XL4 and my HTPC on a UPS. It seems to last a bit over an hour (APC 1500VA). I plan to get a Home Theater UPS eventually, and move this one to a future desktop computer. It's mostly for piece of mind for power cycling and brownouts when the power goes out or comes back on. It's possible it could continue recording during an outage, but imagining Comcast staying on while the power is out is a real stretch of my imagination...

I'm renting now, but I'd eventually like to have a UPS for my router and modem/ONT, future desktop PC and TiVo/HTPC at a minimum...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #42
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
I just my XL4 and my HTPC on a UPS. It seems to last a bit over an hour (APC 1500VA). I plan to get a Home Theater UPS eventually, and move this one to a future desktop computer. It's mostly for piece of mind for power cycling and brownouts when the power goes out or comes back on. It's possible it could continue recording during an outage, but imagining Comcast staying on while the power is out is a real stretch of my imagination...

I'm renting now, but I'd eventually like to have a UPS for my router and modem/ONT, future desktop PC and TiVo/HTPC at a minimum...
When I had Comcast, it would always be on during a power outage. While at my brothers place, his Comcast signal goes out during a power outage.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #43
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
When I had Comcast, it would always be on during a power outage. While at my brothers place, his Comcast signal goes out during a power outage.
It depends on what the nodes and amps are powered off of... I don't really care, it's just to protect my equipment.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #44
kdmorse

My Comcast TV and Internet will generally stay up when the power's out. (And with local UPSs, so will my powered amps, tivos, routers, switches, wap, and computers).

But the TV signal staying is just a convenience, if it went out and put a hole in my recordings, so be it. The UPSs are there to protect the Tivos, and everything else.

Although the internet staying hot keeps me going from insane...
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #45
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmorse View Post
My Comcast TV and Internet will generally stay up when the power's out. (And with local UPSs, so will my powered amps, tivos, routers, switches, wap, and computers).

But the TV signal staying is just a convenience, if it went out and put a hole in my recordings, so be it. The UPSs are there to protect the Tivos, and everything else.

Although the internet staying hot keeps me going from insane...
haha. I usually go online if the power goes out too. Except that my laptop battery is completely worthless now. So much for the claimed "1000" cycles. Mine is completely dead at 196 cycles. So I use my iPad tethered to my iPhone, since my router and modem go dead with the power...
Old 04-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #46
squint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
haha. I usually go online if the power goes out too. Except that my laptop battery is completely worthless now. So much for the claimed "1000" cycles. Mine is completely dead at 196 cycles.
1000 cycles is probably under highly optimal conditions (low temperature, low depth of discharge, etc.).

Quote:
Environmental conditions, and not cycling alone, are a key ingredient to longevity, and the worst situation is keeping a fully charged battery at elevated temperatures. This is the case when running a laptop off the power grid. Under these conditions, a battery will typically last for about two years, whether cycled or not. The pack does not die suddenly but will give lower runtimes with aging
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #47
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
1000 cycles is probably under highly optimal conditions (low temperature, low depth of discharge, etc.).
Apple claims specifically that the internal batteries in the Unibody Macbook Pros will retain 80% of their charge capacity at 1000 cycles. Mine is at 1% at 196 cycles. They're probably not going to do anything, because it's considered a "consumable", which would be fine, except for the fact that they specifically marketed 80% charge capacity at 1000 cycles.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #48
Curt

Surge protectors are false security. Unless you're going to go with a full-sine double-conversion UPS or power conditioner, you're wasting your time.
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #49
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

No UPS will protect your equipment from lightning strikes. The only protection is a lightning rod standing taller than anything else and a cable leading straight to the ground.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #50
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt View Post
Surge protectors are false security. Unless you're going to go with a full-sine double-conversion UPS or power conditioner, you're wasting your time.
Back a few years ago, we had a lightning strike close to the house and a surge came in through the lines. All of the electronics we had that were hooked up to your average surge protectors survived and everything that wasn't on a surge protector got fried. I know that is purely anecdotal, but even the cheapest surge protector is still probably better than nothing at all.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #51
Curt

Most surge protectors use MOVs which have limited limited lifetimes and deteriorate during that period. And there's no way to verify their condition. Even UL1449 3rd edition allows considerable voltage through before clamping, and there can be a significant spike beyond that due to latency.

Cheap UPSs have little to no power conditioning and are really there to provide emergency power. And even that is questionable - unregulated square or stepped sine.

There are good surge protectors (that don't use MOVs) and UPSs, but very few are willing to spend the money on them.
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:21 AM   #52
telemark

Nobody mentioned surge supression on the cable line.

I would think that's more important because a blown power supply is easy to replace but the boxes with damaged tuners are not repairable.