TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #31
waynomo
My One Time

You also affect what suggestions are recorded with the thumbs up and thumbs down buttons.

waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #32
midas
I heard that

Suggestions have always been my main attraction to Tivo. A few weeks to training a new unit and I pretty much never have to watch anything live except for news.

midas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #33
swerver

TiVo is recording on all six tuners at all times, regardless of suggestions. So if you are turning off suggestions to "keep your drive clear" then don't bother.

swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #34
c133roamioerrors

When I got my xl4, there were some surprising and unattractive defaults. I learned how to turn them off. First thing I did when I set up my roamio pro was turn off the defaults. My wife will record anything that moves and then delete later if she isn't interested. There are a lot of recorded shows to go through and having a bunch of recorded suggestions mucks things up. The default should be record what you want. If you want suggestions, you should have to set the option. On the xl4, I had to delete about 50 shows that were recorded as suggestions. It's not a space issue. My shows should be my shows not my shows and suggested recordings.

My wife has an issue with the Netflix interface. You can't clean up the previously watched. Some shows have multiple seasons and you want to keep them to resume at next episode. Who wants to have to wade through a bunch of crap to get where you want to be. Nevermind.....the Roamio pro is perfect the way it is.

c133roamioerrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:36 AM   #35
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Really? After I inputted the code for the 30-second skip, I realized just how much I hated the default 30-second scan. I guess reasonable people can disagree.
After reading this thread the other day I input the 30-second skip on my Roamio Pro. I tried it for a few hours but I just couldn't stand it anymore. I went back to the 30 second scan. And I had really enjoyed the 30 second skip for around ten years. But now I can't seem to stand using it.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:23 AM   #36
hasbeen

Where is the 30 second skip code? I am a new user. All I can find in settings is either the 30 sec scan or advance to next tick mark. I come from DVRs that did 30 second skip and I would like to continue to use that. Thanks.

hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #37
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Where is the 30 second skip code? I am a new user. All I can find in settings is either the 30 sec scan or advance to next tick mark. I come from DVRs that did 30 second skip and I would like to continue to use that. Thanks.
While playing back a recorded show enter: Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select

tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #38
Mikeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
The link in post #7 of this thread. For whatever reason, Tivo decided the cost savings of not including a printed manual were enough to justify leaving those new users that have never used a Tivo to fend for themselves in figuring out how it works.
Thank you for your welcome, on-point sarcasm. What I further find "odd" is that the e-manual is almost hidden--as far as I recall, its website location (or even availability) is not even mentioned in the Roamio "quick-start guide" and I really had to search for it online, not finding it through the TiVo website. Would seem to make sense to me: if you're not going to include a manual with your product, telling the consumer how to use the product that the consumer has just shelled out a lot of money for, at least include a separate, apparent, brightly-colored information sheet telling the consumer where to find the manual online. Or hey, even include a reference at the end of the TiVo startup cartoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid71 View Post
I thought I would like the skip better, but found that we actually see some stuff on scan, rewind and watch it. Who knew?
Coming to a new Roamio, I'm also actually preferring, I think, the 30-second scan over the skip, as I sometimes see something during a commercial break that I even want to watch (a promo for a new show, etc.).

Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:04 PM   #39
passname22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
press the Tivo button twice to go right to My Shows.
nice, this is going to be so useful to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Tivo decided the cost savings of not including a printed manual were enough to justify leaving those new users that have never used a Tivo to fend for themselves in figuring out how it works.
I don't care about the manual but give us a tour on-screen. I can figure out how to use it but the short cuts isn't something I'll know about. on screen they advertise one-pass(swear to god one pass ad is ON EVERY PAGE ON MY TIVO), THUMPS to RECORD, lame tv shows when u hit pause, but god damn they never tell us anything useful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Or try the default 30 second scan. I used the 30 second skip for a decade. When the 30 second scan came out I thought I would not like it. But I found that I loved it and had no desire to go back to using the 30 second skip.
my tivo is already default to scan. checked the setting and I don't see 30 skip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
While playing back a recorded show enter: Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select
god damn it, why are these settings hidden? I gotta go and check this when I get home. Although I don't use 30second skip/scan. I just press fast forward 3 times till my show comes back on and press 10sec rewind if I go too far. I love the 10sec rewind especially watching golf.

passname22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #40
Mikeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by passname22 View Post
god damn it, why are these settings hidden? I gotta go and check this when I get home. Although I don't use 30second skip/scan. I just press fast forward 3 times till my show comes back on and press 10sec rewind if I go too far. I love the 10sec rewind especially watching golf.
The 30-second skip has never been publicized by TiVo, seemingly out of deference to the broadcasters (and possibly for fear of a lawsuit over the feature, as the broadcasters did earlier with a TiVo competitor which openly marketed the feature). It's always been a tip/hack easy to find on forums, articles about TiVo, or otherwise. As versus the now built-in 30-second scan.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #41
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
I don't care about the manual but give us a tour on-screen. I can figure out how to use it but the short cuts isn't something I'll know about. on screen they advertise one-pass(swear to god one pass ad is ON EVERY PAGE ON MY TIVO), THUMPS to RECORD, lame tv shows when u hit pause, but god damn they never tell us anything useful.
Didn't you get the "getting to know your new Tivo" emails after you registered it? I've always gotten a series of them after registering a new box over the course of a week.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #42
passname22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Didn't you get the "getting to know your new Tivo" emails after you registered it? I've always gotten a series of them after registering a new box over the course of a week.
I delete anything that looks like spam.

I don't know why tivo suggestion is default in settings, just like motion smooth on TV.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #43
Mikeguy

I think TiVo Suggestions is the default because it doesn't do any harm--any space Suggestions use will be overwritten if space is needed by your own selections. And many people probably find the Suggestions of value. But if not, simply turn the feature off.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:23 PM   #44
passname22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeguy View Post
I think TiVo Suggestions is the default because it doesn't do any harm--any space Suggestions use will be overwritten if space is needed by your own selections. And many people probably find the Suggestions of value. But if not, simply turn the feature off.
waste energy, waste tuner. yeah I turned it off, I just don't understand why it's default. like TV motion smoothness, most ppl hate it but it's set to default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
press the Tivo button twice to go right to My Shows.
I didn't find this useful, it's not double click that goes straight to shows. It's click and click.

I like the scan 30sec incase they have funny commerical playing, the mountain dew is hilarious.

Tivo is so easy to use that you don't need a guide, only thing I had to figure out myself was zoom shortcut which btw tells you on screen AFter you press it. lol why would you tell me how to use it after I just used it?

Old 03-01-2015, 10:39 PM   #45
Mikeguy

Quote:
waste energy, waste tuner. yeah I turned it off, I just don't understand why it's default. like TV motion smoothness, most ppl hate it but it's set to default.
I'm not sure most people hate it--in fact, I think it's likely the opposite. Suggestions just found scads of interesting movies for me this weekend, that I wouldn't have know about.

But again, easily turned off, as you did.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:37 PM   #46
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
waste energy, waste tuner.
The TiVo is always recording, no matter what. Whenever it isn't recording a program, it's recording the live buffer. There's negligible difference between those in the amount of energy that is consumed.

As far as the "waste tuner" thing, the tuner is released if it is needed for something else. There's no waste of a tuner if it is recording a suggestion.

There's really very little if any reason to turn off suggestions.

LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:19 AM   #47
Mikeguy

Good points, LodeStar--thanks for the engineering points!

Old 03-02-2015, 12:34 PM   #48
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeguy View Post
[...] What I further find "odd" is that the e-manual is almost hidden--as far as I recall, its website location (or even availability) is not even mentioned in the Roamio "quick-start guide" and I really had to search for it online, not finding it through the TiVo website. Would seem to make sense to me: if you're not going to include a manual with your product, telling the consumer how to use the product that the consumer has just shelled out a lot of money for, at least include a separate, apparent, brightly-colored information sheet telling the consumer where to find the manual online. Or hey, even include a reference at the end of the TiVo startup cartoon.
At the end of the startup guide, there's a "Want to learn more?" along with a link to a "howto" page on TiVo's website. That page has several youtube videos that help explain the user interface, and also has links to PDFs for the detailed "viewer's guide" manuals.

Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #49
Mikeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeters View Post
At the end of the startup guide, there's a "Want to learn more?" along with a link to a "howto" page on TiVo's website. That page has several youtube videos that help explain the user interface, and also has links to PDFs for the detailed "viewer's guide" manuals.
I finally did catch the link to the online manual at the TiVo website, at the Welcome Center - Roamio/Get set up and connected page (http://www.tivo.com/my-account/welco...mio/get-set-up)-- although it confusingly is mis-labeled as a "'Viewer's Guide' poster." I also did find a link elsewhere at the TiVo site under articles, and you are correct (thanks!), the guide (correctly) is listed half-way down on the Roamio "How-to" page under one's TiVo account, after more than a screen's worth of verbiage and posted videos for OnePass. http://www.tivo.com/my-account/how-to

It just seems to me, though, that if TiVo isn't going to include a paper copy of the manual or otherwise be considerate enough to make it available upon request, it should make reference to the manual and where it can be obtained the first thing and absolutely apparent, and not secondary (at best). Despite what TiVo might like to think (along with Microsoft with Windows 8), not everything in the use of the box is apparent--including as I was exploring a few options yesterday, running back and forth from the manual on a computer in an office on the second floor of my home to the Roamio in the living room on the first floor. In my humble opinion, an exquisite and not necessarily absolutely apparent device as a TiVo requires an easily-usable manual, at the very least as a reference. (And hey, TiVo, how about making the manual a bit more comprehensive--especially with it being available only online, changes should be easier for you. )