TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Do you use Keep Until I Delete?
No, I do not use KUID. 49 20.33%
Yes, but only on one off recordings that I do not want to lose. 101 41.91%
Yes, I use KUID for one off recordings AND in my Season Passes and/or Wishlists. 91 37.76%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:02 AM   #61
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I have to admit, there is a lot more people *here* using KUID than I thought there would be. I should have suspected since most of us here are power users.

At the same time, because we are power users, I figured most people would not need KUID because they upgraded their hard drives, and/or are just OCD (like me) and meticulously manage their recordings manually.

To the question as to whether or not TiVo should make KUID a default option for setting up season passes, etc., I think they should not.
#1 because a new user will not fully understand the consequences of using KUID and #2 because I don't think us power users really need it. So what that we have to take a couple of extra steps to set KUID on a recording/season pass? It's not the end of the world and it ensures that one does not "accidentally" activate it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #62
midas
I heard that

Let me make the point again, whether you use KUID not isn't really the point. I'm actually shocked that some people never use it. But how many people use it on everything, or even most things? Just because you mark something KUID a few times a year doesn't mean you need it as a default option. I understand that some do make extensive use of the option. But I don't think that's reflected in the numbers seen here.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #63
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
At the same time, because we are power users, I figured most people would not need KUID because they upgraded their hard drives, and/or are just OCD (like me) and meticulously manage their recordings manually.
Interesting. So now I've seen both people who use KUID and those who don't labeled OCD.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #64
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

We live in an OCD world.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:25 PM   #65
lpwcomp

Most of this post was originally made in the 20.4.1. I don't really want to cross post but I actually thought I was posting it here. It's feel too late to remove it from the other thread as it has been out there for days and has been quoted. So:

You can't have it both ways.

Just as the participants in this poll are not typical TiVo users, neither are those that install larger hard drives.

If the larger hard drives make it so your drive never fills up, then setting a show to KUID isn't going to cause you to miss recording something, now is it?

Finally, I am really tired of people thinking that the way they use a TiVo and its features is the "right" way to use it. And/Or insist that TiVo limit the capabilities to the lowest common denominator.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #66
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Finally, I am really tired of people thinking that the way they use a TiVo and its features is the "right" way to use it. And/Or insist that TiVo limit the capabilities to the lowest common denominator.
Or feel that you're a complete idiot for using it any other way then they're using it.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #67
Philmatic

I KUID things I want to, wait for it, Keep Until I Delete!

For me, that's pretty much every single season pass I have. However I do have some things that I record that I have automatically delete if space is needed, Friends, political shows and other things that are time sensitive (News, sports etc).

I never, ever want my TiVo to delete a serial TV show. I use KUID for that purpose.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:43 AM   #68
c3
TiVoholic

KUID is primarily my "not watched" indicator. That's how I have used it since Series1.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:58 AM   #69
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Interesting. So now I've seen both people who use KUID and those who don't labeled OCD.
Hmm, doeth one protest too much?

Sorry if I offended you. I admit to being OCD with my recordings, and I know I can't be the only one. Grow some skin.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #70
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Hmm, doeth one protest too much?

Sorry if I offended you. I admit to being OCD with my recordings, and I know I can't be the only one. Grow some skin.
Lol. No, not offended at all.

I was amused by the arguments in general and thought it was funny. You were only talking about yourself, but others were talking about people who use KUID and called them OCD in what was sort of an insult. (And wasn't offended by those either.)

It was one of those can't win situations. Most of the OCD comments were about people who use KUID. You however don't use and claim that you are OCD about your recordings so don't need KUID. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #71
TonyBlunt

I use KUID on all my season passes, since Tivo was deleting recordings after 3 days although I had less than 10% of the disk used. I expect KUID to do just that, keep until I delete. I expect if I fill my disk there will be no further recordings made. This seems the most logical approach, and certainly should be a default option with the new default screen. Leaving the decision of what to delete and when to a poorly programmed machine is not logical....

I suspect the reason some people dislike KUID is because Tivo uses faulty logic in determining when not to record - it appears that Tivo looks at current disk usage PLUS all recordings in the To-Do list, which is another two weeks of recordings. To assume I will not watch and delete any shows for two weeks is rather illogical. Instead, it should look at available space just before initiating a recording. (Or daily scan available space and recordings scheduled for the next 24 hours, cancelling recordings that would exceed available space.)
TonyBlunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:09 AM   #72
JWhites

I use KUID for all my recordings by default and I love it. I just wish that when I hit the "record" button on the remote that it automatically sets my recording as that.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:26 AM   #73
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
It used to be a bigger issue when the hard drives were much smaller and people would start getting warnings about recordings being deleted early etc. I'm still kind of stuck in that mentality even though I have a huge Hard Drive now. I do keep some home videos on KUID but they are pretty small. For the rest of my shows, my feeling is if they hung around long enough to get deleted I probably wasn't all that interested in them anyway.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:27 AM   #74
ustavio

For all the programs I want to "Keep Until I Delete" them, I use KUID. For those that I don't want to keep, I don't use KUID. For those shows I REALLY don't want to keep, I don't even bother recording them. However, I don't delete non-KUID shows until after I've watched them, then I delete them. After I watch the KUID shows, I may or may not delete them until I scroll through the list one day and ask my self "why am I keeping this?"....If I don't have a well reasoned and logical reason for keeping them, I delete them. But, then again, a few days later, I may scroll through my shows and ask myself "where the heck is that show I saved?" Then, I go into the deleted file and recover it. Sometimes I recover it and reinstate it to KUID status (just because I can). Sometimes I recover it just so I know it's there and then delete it again a few days later because I never intended to watch it anyway.
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:42 AM   #75
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
I use KUID for all my recordings by default and I love it. I just wish that when I hit the "record" button on the remote that it automatically sets my recording as that.
What's the benefit? How would it behave differently if you didn't?

Sorry, but this really baffles me...