TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
mkeehn

New Tivo user with Cable Card Issues

Hi everyone,

After the recent Time Warner price increases I decided to do some research and realized I could be getting a better experience at a lower price by getting a Tivo.

I'm unfortunately at a bit of a stand still at the moment, however, and have a couple questions for everyone. I haven't seen a definitive answer to this anywhere. When I went to the Time Warner office yesterday I was given a Cisco STA1520 and a Motorola cable card. Is there any issue with this combination? The last person I talked to from TWC on the phone last night didn't seem to think they should work together, even though that was what the office gave me and the other two people I talked to last night didn't say anything about it. If I don't have to drive 25 minutes to the office and get new equipment, I'd rather not do it.

At any rate, even with just the cable card plugged in I should be getting something to tune, correct? Acquiring Channels gets stuck at 75% every time and then errors out, so it doesn't look like the cable card is paired correctly. From everything I'm reading, this is most likely on the TWC side. When I go to the conditional access screen I have: Con: Yes, EBCP: Yes, Val: ? 0x0B
In the diagnostic screen it says I have an OOB signal lock. During my initial call with TWC last night they created a service ticket, and I have a bad feeling that no one is going to look at it until Monday. I am going to call again this afternoon to check, though.

One last question. When I had the TWC whole house DVR setup, there was a Scientific Atlanta signal booster installed. Would that be causing any issues, or is it something I need? I wasn't getting the OOB signal lock while it was plugged in, so I have removed it for now.

Thanks for any guidance!
Mike
mkeehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #2
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Are you talking to the Time-Warner cablecard hotline? Those folks know much more then the local franchise will, and some of them are actually quite good.
Number is given on the TiVo page http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2747

Time-Warner is mostly a Cisco cablecard company, but a few TW franchises use the Motorola cablecard. I wouldn't worry about the Cisco tuning adapter; I think it can be used for both types of franchises. I can't believe they would give you a Motorola cablecard in a Cisco cablecard area; I wouldn't think even TW could make that mistake (to get a bad type of card entered in their system would probably require somebody to spend a lot of effort, and TW isn't known for that )

I'd keep on calling the cablecard hotline until you get somebody good.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

To get better help here, post your location (TWC system region). I have always thought systems had to be either all Motorola or all Cisco equipment.

TWC is slowly rolling out a new channel lineup that (if I understand it correctly) needs the TA to tune ALL channels. This is so you can tune one channel number but the TA decides whether to give you the HD or SD version of the channel depending on your equipment -- whereas under the previous system you had different channel numbers for SD and HD versions. Under the previous system you could expect to tune the non-SDV channels with just the CableCARD. Maybe under the new lineup you have to have the TA working to tune anything (?).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
mkeehn

Sorry for the lack of information, knew I would forget something!

I am in NW Ohio (Near Lima), and fall under Time Warner Mid Ohio. I have been talking to the Cable Card hotline, which is where I got that last bit of information that mismatched brands might be an issue. I'm going to call again and see what they say.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I have always thought systems had to be either all Motorola or all Cisco equipment.
I too have always heard that the CableCard and Tuning Adapter needed to be matched up (either both Motorola or both Cisco) but I don't know if this is actually true or not. Still, this could cause you problems. But you definitely need to find out if your area uses Motorola or Cisco CableCards. Hopefully someone at TW or someone on this forum will be able to tell you that. If you are using a Motorola CableCard in a Cisco area (and I think most TWC areas are Cisco) then you will almost certainly be having problems.

Quote:
TWC is slowly rolling out a new channel lineup that (if I understand it correctly) needs the TA to tune ALL channels.
This is not really correct. I have TWC, and if I disconnect the tuning adapter I can still get some channels even after the switch to the new channel lineup. So if you aren't able to get any channels with just the CableCard installed, then something is probably wrong with the CableCard itself.

Hang in there. I know these technical issues are frustrating, but once you get it working correctly the TiVo is totally worth it. When I first got my Roamio last year, I had to go back to the TWC office 3 times before I got a Tuning Adapter that worked correctly, but now it's working perfectly and is so much better than the old TWC DVR and crappy cable boxes I had. And the best part is my cable bill is $50/month lower.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
I have TWC, and if I disconnect the tuning adapter I can still get some channels even after the switch to the new channel lineup. So if you aren't able to get any channels with just the CableCard installed, then something is probably wrong with the CableCard itself.
But I wonder if disconnecting a TA (after it has been running and supplied a channel map) is the same as starting out with just a CC? Maybe in your case it's using the previously loaded map. (?)

and
Old 04-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
tarheelblue32

Quote:
But I wonder if disconnecting a TA (after it has been running and supplied a channel map) is the same as starting out with just a CC? Maybe in your case it's using the previously loaded map. (?)
I first got mine before the lineup change, so I can't say for sure. But I would think that you should be able to get at least a few channels with just the CableCard and having never used the tuning adapter, even if it's only the Emergency Broadcast Channel.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
mkeehn

Thanks again everyone for your help.

I called the cable card hotline again and the technician tried to re-pair the card, and it failed once again. He thought the card was bad. I then asked him about the Motorola/Cisco combination and he said that definitely wouldn't work. I took the drive into the office and they let me pick the cable card out of the bag.

I took a Scientific Atlanta card, got home, and plugged it in. It did a firmware upgrade, and then I called in. I think we're making progress, as he was able to get it to pair. He then needed to put in a ticket with another group and said he would call back. At that point, the CA screen of the card setup said "Not Ready" for a while, but now says Active. I am seeing some channels, but not all of them. I'm going to wait for a bit and see if he calls back.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeehn View Post
I am seeing some channels, but not all of them. I'm going to wait for a bit and see if he calls back.
Do you have the tuning adapter connected yet? You'll have to have that hooked up and working properly to get certain channels. And just like the CableCard, don't be surprised if the Tuning Adapter also has to update the firmware. If that happens, you'll get a series of blinks for a while on the Tuning Adapter's LED light.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 04-12-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #10
mkeehn

After a little while the CA screen switched to Ready, and I started to get most of the channels. I was not getting local channels, however, and I called back in. While on the phone with TW realized that the Tivo didn't have the correct channel lineup.

I ran setup again using the automated method and it gave me the same channels. I ran it one more time and noticed right before it presents the channels you could hit enter to get into Advanced Setup. I did that, and it let me select the lineup from a list of local ones. I selected the correct one.

When that was finished, I had the correct channels, and most everything was coming in, but the locals still weren't working. I was also seeing some artifacts on certain channels. I called in one more time. She had me check a couple of diagnostics for the tuning adapter, and everything looked good. She had me bypass the tuning adapter, and the local channels started to come in. She told me that meant that the tuning adapter was bad, and that I'd have to swap it out.

After hanging up, I couldn't help but try to continue troubleshooting. I unplugged the power from the tuning adapter (which had not been done since I first plugged it in yesterday afternoon), ran the cable through it, and plugged it back in. The locals immediately came up. I then powered the TA on, and after a few minutes of blinking the Tivo detected it. The locals and SDV channels all look to be working now.

The only minor issue I'm seeing came about when I was scheduling season passes. When I selected a show on one of my locals (1008) and went to the scheduling screen, it wanted to schedule the recording for channel 12. If I select "Other showings," 1008 is not an option. I'll do some more searching around on that issue, but it's very minor at this point.

My mini in the bedroom is also working great now. I really appreciate the help and hope the steps I took may be able to help someone else in the future.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #11
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

With the latest massive channel renumberings of Time-Warner, it may be the case that channel 12 is the same signal as channel 1008, You can check that by putting one tuner on channel 12 and a different tuner on channel 1008, and then going to DVR Diagnostics (under Account&System Info) and looking at the frequency that each of those two tuners is set to. If the frequency is the same, then the signal is the same and there's no reason for the TiVo to distinguish between them.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #12
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I'm amazed you got as far as you did without being advised to power-cycle the TA. I guess even the national help desk isn't perfect . The policy I would recommend is that anytime something has been changed that might involve the TA, power-cycle it and while it's rebooting, disconnect the USB cable and restart the TiVo. Reconnect the USB and then it should spend 2 minutes or more acquiring channels (at least it takes that long on my Tivo HD model). Very tedious, yes, but much experience with my setup shows it's necessary on many occasions.

and
Old 04-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #13
mkeehn

dlfl, agreed, and don't know why I didn't think to do it on my own. It is funny though, working in IT, how often I tell people to reboot to fix something, and I often skip that step myself.

CrispyCritter, I went to try what you suggested this afternoon, and all the channels are now appearing correct when I schedule the season passes. It may have still been getting updated information when I was doing it the first time, I guess?

I think I'm all set for now. Thanks again everyone for the help.