TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-10-2014, 05:53 AM   #1
markymark_ctown

Arrow The Americans | "Arpanet" | 2014-04-09

I watched this episode streaming over the arpanet...
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
Jonathan_S

It was pretty amusing (deliberately so, I'm sure) watching the professor trying to explain the early Arpanet.

"Like God", "Japanese Post Office",
Old 04-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #3
cheesesteak
Meh.

I wonder how the son breaking into the neighbor's house is going to affect the parents' cover.

Nina may be juggling too many balls, figuratively and literally.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I wonder how the son breaking into the neighbor's house is going to affect the parents' cover.

Nina may be juggling too many balls, figuratively and literally.
The kid needed his Intellivision fix.

My thought was that Nina really failed the polygraph and Stan is playing her. I don't think I missed anything that would conclusively say she passed other than his say so. I remember the examiner in the background giving him an ambiguous nod or something. They probably wouldn't have made such a big deal about the polygraph countermeasures, if this was the case though.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
It was pretty amusing (deliberately so, I'm sure) watching the professor trying to explain the early Arpanet.

"Like God", "Japanese Post Office",
"Like a handshake..."

My friend and I discuss the show every Thursday, and she asked me how to change her password on the login screen, and I said, "Squeeze your anus!" - We both LOLed and everyone else gazed upon us in horror!
Old 04-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
My friend and I discuss the show every Thursday, and she asked me how to change her password on the login screen, and I said, "Squeeze your anus!" - We both LOLed and everyone else gazed upon us in horror!
Difficult to LOL and SYA at the same time...
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
markymark_ctown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupMan View Post
My thought was that Nina really failed the polygraph and Stan is playing her.
i though that too. Clearly, she didn't squeaze her anus tightly enough.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #8
stellie93

I assumed that even if she did fail Stan would trust her over the polygraph. Of course, no one else in the bureau would.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Difficult to LOL and SYA at the same time...
BA HA HA!

Ok, am I missing something, or has Nina been sleeping with the sleazebag from the Rezidentura for some time? Is she just playing the FBI dude?
Old 04-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #10
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

The console panels on the IMP were two INTERCOMS. I don't think the proto-router had volume controls.

I'll allow the Nina tush make up for the technical fantasies.

The previous episodes hinted that Philip and ELizabeth know that Stan is being played. Remember, "he admitted he's having an affair." But that was only between Philip and Elizabeth. The resentura would have to tell them that Stan was counter-intelligence, etc.

The Resident also knows Philip and Elizabeth's IDs and locations.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #11
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Ok, am I missing something, or has Nina been sleeping with the sleazebag from the Rezidentura for some time? Is she just playing the FBI dude?
Nina has been mostly loyal to the Russians for a while now, but I think this was the first episode where she had sex with Oleg.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #12
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I wonder if anything ever came of that arpanet thing they talked about. Or if it was even based on reality?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:23 AM   #13
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
The console panels on the IMP were two INTERCOMS. I don't think the proto-router had volume controls.
I think the prop department must have just thrown that together with whatever they had lying around in the electronics graveyard.

Here's the real one:

Old 04-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #14
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I wonder if anything ever came of that arpanet thing they talked about. Or if it was even based on reality?
The "GOD" thing? Of course, the NSA has it and any details are a matter of national security.
UVerse and OTA

Old 04-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #15
mooseAndSquirrel

One of the reasons I love this show is that I was a systems programmer at GWU in 1980, and working on Arpanet! So I love all of the DC references, and all of the things going on in the 80's. Stan's wife taking EST. Intellivision. Seeing a flyer on the corkboard for rhythmacise.

When I lived in an apartment in Georgetown, my girlfriend and I saw a few dead drops in the alley behind us. And as a student, I was aware of CIA keeping tabs on middle eastern students and looking for potential recruits. So I find the activities portrayed in this show are probably pretty realistic.

I do think they foolishly let things go too long. They bug Casper Weinberger's office, but then don't have that maid accidentally die? And the marriage to Martha strains credulity, as does the parents weird schedule not raising eyebrows.

But I let all that pass because it's good writing, good acting, suspenseful. Nina is to-die-for gorgeous, and I find her the most interesting character in certain ways, Is she just a spy, double spy or some weird reverse double spy. Does she really care for Stan? It certainly seems Stan has fallen for her. And then the Phillip Elizabeth dynamic is interesting, as well as their varying questions about each other and the cause they are fighting.

I missed even awareness of this show's existence, so was able to binge watch season 1 on Amazon prime.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:03 AM   #16
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel View Post
...When I lived in an apartment in Georgetown, my girlfriend and I saw a few dead drops in the alley behind us. And as a student, I was aware of CIA keeping tabs on middle eastern students and looking for potential recruits. So I find the activities portrayed in this show are probably pretty realistic.
You never grabbed a package? You could have been a FBI hero.

Quote:
Nina is to-die-for gorgeous, and I find her the most interesting character in certain ways, Is she just a spy, double spy or some weird reverse double spy. Does she really care for Stan? It certainly seems Stan has fallen for her.
I think the writers/directors are blowing the mystery on that one. We haven't seen any sign that Nina is really not 100% on the KGB side. Being that she reports everything back to the rezindentura.

What doesn't make sense is having Boris be a second contact to Stan. I guess they think he can make more overt demands for intelligence.
UVerse and OTA

Old 04-14-2014, 07:03 AM   #17
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post

What doesn't make sense is having Boris be a second contact to Stan. I guess they think he can make more overt demands for intelligence.
Do you mean Oleg? He is acting on his own.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #18
Bob Coxner

Quote:
One of the reasons I love this show is that I was a systems programmer at GWU in 1980, and working on Arpanet! So I love all of the DC references, and all of the things going on in the 80's. Stan's wife taking EST. Intellivision. Seeing a flyer on the corkboard for rhythmacise.
Some of us here go back even further with distributed computing. I was using PLATO in 1972. It was in some ways as revolutionary as Arpanet. They were using a PDP-10 in the show, I used a PDP-11. I loved PLATO for the multiplayer games. It seemed like total science fiction at the time. You might even say it was the foundation for forums like Tivo Community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLATO_(computer_system)

PLATO (Programmed Logic for Automatic Teaching Operations)[1][2] was the first generalized computer assisted instruction system. Starting in 1960, it ran on the University of Illinois' ILLIAC I computer. By the late 1970s, comprised several thousand graphics terminals distributed worldwide, running on nearly a dozen different networked mainframe computers. Many modern concepts in multi-user computing were developed on PLATO, including forums, message boards, online testing, e-mail, chat rooms, picture languages, instant messaging, remote screen sharing, and multiplayer games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-11
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #19
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

As Sheldon would say.... "Fascinating!"....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #20
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
Some of us here go back even further with distributed computing. I was using PLATO in 1972. It was in some ways as revolutionary as Arpanet. They were using a PDP-10 in the show, I used a PDP-11. I loved PLATO for the multiplayer games. It seemed like total science fiction at the time. You might even say it was the foundation for forums like Tivo Community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLATO_(computer_system)

PLATO (Programmed Logic for Automatic Teaching Operations)[1][2] was the first generalized computer assisted instruction system. Starting in 1960, it ran on the University of Illinois' ILLIAC I computer. By the late 1970s, comprised several thousand graphics terminals distributed worldwide, running on nearly a dozen different networked mainframe computers. Many modern concepts in multi-user computing were developed on PLATO, including forums, message boards, online testing, e-mail, chat rooms, picture languages, instant messaging, remote screen sharing, and multiplayer games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-11
Yeah. I used PLATO for lessons, too. It had a plasma dispaly that I'd love to see these days

I have a GRiD laptop that also has that display and bubble memory.
UVerse and OTA

Old 04-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #21
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

I learned fractions from some odd Pizza game on PLATO.
kaszeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #22
Bob Coxner

It's nice to see I'm not the only old fart here. :-)
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:42 AM   #23
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
It's nice to see I'm not the only old fart here. :-)
See my user name sig...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote