TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #61
bunjicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Assuming your talking to a CSR, I'd recommend waiting to hear from Margret for an update before wasting your time.
Nope. It was upgraded to Level 2 support.
bunjicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #62
kbmb

Can also confirm that the rollback should NOT be happening:
https://twitter.com/tivodesign/statu...25147748884480

Quote:
@netnothing Nothing should be rolling back. I need TSNs of boxes that appear to have been rolled back. margret at tivo dot com
Everyone who was rolled back should email Margret!

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #63
alleybj

How are we supposed to get her the TSN?

Does she have a published email?
alleybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #64
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post
Does she have a published email?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...r.php?u=198507
margret@tivo.com

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #65
anthonymoody

What a clusterF. I disconnected my Ethernet cable just to be sure. I show having contacted the service early this morning with no roll back thank god.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #66
MisterTWo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
KMTTG is great for clearing out the Deleted folder
Thanks for the heads up, I just used KMTTG to delete the 385 shows in my deleted folder before my Roamio rolled back.
MisterTWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #67
JGC650I

Both my Roamios connected to service early this afternoon per their normal schedule before I saw these posts. Both reverted back to 20.3. Was able to clear deleted before the restart, but couldn't stop the channel list reset. What a drag, that's a lot of channel list updating to redo once this is fixed.
JGC650I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #68
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
Can't wait to get home in an hour and see what version my Roamio is running...
I'm home...still running 20.4.1. Next connection to TiVo is scheduled for 9:30 am Saturday morning.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #69
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC650I View Post
Both my Roamios...reverted back to 20.3...
please email your tsn's to "margret at tivo dot com" (see posts 60 & 62)

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #70
JGC650I

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
please email your tsn's to "margret at tivo dot com" (see posts 60 & 62)
Already had before I posted above.
JGC650I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #71
HerronScott

Is it possible that the TiVo's that reverted actually just flipped back to the pre-upgrade partition? Would this explain deleted shows coming back?

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #72
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

who knows, i don't want the rollback, and i'm starting to lose faith in tivo's ability to address the current messes.

i'm pondering whether or not to disable my network connection and deal with the pain involved while they figure out what's going on.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 04-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #73
aaronwt
HD Addict

Crap!! It looks like my Roamio Pro had a pending restart. So I'm guessing it is the rollback.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #74
aaronwt
HD Addict

Yes it was the rollback. I rebooted and now My Shows list is at 99%. I just sent Margret and email.
My Roamio Basic didn't get the rollback. I do wish it would have been the basic instead.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #75
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Is it possible that the TiVo's that reverted actually just flipped back to the pre-upgrade partition? Would this explain deleted shows coming back?

Scott
Applies to Roamios only: There no longer is an alternate partition. It's now a partition where the software downloads to, gets verified, prepared, then written to the flash. There is no going back unless the TiVo downloads the prior version again.

KickStart 52 used to write the current software to the alternate partition, then change the boot sector to make it the active partition. This was officially called an "Emergency Software Reinstall", until the Roamio's design.

KS52 No longer works, due to the flash always being the primary (destination) software location.

On Roamios, and Premieres, I've always experienced the deleted items coming back, when I would choose to clear and delete the guide data and program information, so I could download it fresh and unfragmented, without any corruption. It's a great way to fix when garbage collection fails, and the TiVo can't load what the scheduled service connections provide. It also cleans out the history and "won't record" entries, cleaning up quite a bit of things that can get fragmented, corrupted, etc. The downside is it also forgets what has been recorded in the past, so repeat shows can wind up being recorded again. The deleted items going back where they were is only a downside if you have many, and forget to clear them out. I recommend KMTTG for that.

I don't claim to know everything about what is different with the Roamio. So far, the reports of a download, followed by "pending restart", then the "rollback", supports that somehow that Roamio was able to/directed to download the prior software. Not an entire supporting of what I've said, but a good indication I'm in the ballpark, at least. It sounds like yet another problem on TiVo's side, like sending out New Zealand software to U.S. TiVo HDs. Hopefully, TiVo hasn't just created another situation where the only option is to have them replace the units affected.

On Roamios, if TiVo fixes things on their end, I would think dropping in a blank drive, just might prompt a Roamio to download the correct software. Then again, I don't recall anybody trying a freshly-imaged drive on those TiVo HDs, to see if they would then download the U.S. version... Correct me if I am wrong on that.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #76
aaronwt
HD Addict

Crap!! I have zero shows in the To Do list. I should have over one hundred shows scheduled to record.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #77
JSearfoss

I just had a reboot and roll back. My To Do List was also empty, all channel settings are gone and the hard disk is showing full. Anyone notice that there time in the guide is not correct ? Here it is currently 8:24pm and the guide is showing 12:25am. Nothing that is supposed to be recording is recording.
JSearfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #78
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSearfoss View Post
I just had a reboot and roll back. My To Do List was also empty, all channel settings are gone and the hard disk is showing full. Anyone notice that there time in the guide is not correct ? Here it is currently 8:24pm and the guide is showing 12:25am. Nothing that is supposed to be recording is recording.
What the heck is going on?
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #79
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
What the heck is going on?
i suspect once you delete all the undeleted shows in "my shows" again, then re-run guided setup, and force a couple of connections, it will be back up.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #80
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSearfoss View Post
Yes my time was off too. I had to initiate another connection. Then the clock had the correct time. Also My To Do List is now showing the scheduled shows. But for 20 or 30 minutes it was empty. I had to manually record the shows I normally watch at 8PM on Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
i suspect once you delete all the undeleted shows in "my shows" again, then re-run guided setup, and force a couple of connections, it will be back up.
I had no need to run the guided setup again When the To Do list that was empty. When I checked my Season Passes it showed that it was updating. but it took 20 or 30 minutes for the To Do List to populate. All my settings were still intact from before. It still had my zip code, TV provider etc. But I did have to go into the channel list and setup my received channels and my Favorite channels again. It basically had all of the channels checked after the rollback.

Last edited by aaronwt : 04-11-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #81
Davelnlr_

No downgrade here as of 1pm, next scheduled tomorrow at 3pm. Ill be disconnecting the network prior to the call if this isnt resolved.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #82
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I've had four distinct reboots, while doing very different things.

1. Doing nothing.
2. Watching Live TV.
3. Watching a recording.
4. Watching Netflix.

I'd say I've had at least seven reboots since the update, and that's just one Roamio. They are all supposedly on "log-monitoring", and I've been diligent in using the 777-clear for AV matters, and 911-clear for reboots and show-stoppers. I just hope somebody is actually doing something with it all. It's a lot of entertainment-interruptus...

I'd love to be rolled-back, as long as that doesn't cause more problems. I didn't ever have any Netflix reboots on the prior software, which I was doing Netflix marathons on for hours-on-end. That's why I haven't posted anything in the Netflix issue threads in so long.

My official opinion on this update is:

I understand it may be better for those who had missed recordings, due to the overlap glitch/issue, and made use of long paddings. I never do that, so I don't get to see any relief. I get the feeling that if these same folks start getting reboots, they'll find themselves just as unhappy.

I'm seeing quite a few mentions of reboots since the update, across many threads, and new forum members creating new threads, rather than finding their way to the update thread.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #83
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes my time was off too. I had to initiate another connection. Then the clock had the correct time. Also My To Do List is now showing the scheduled shows. But for 20 or 30 minutes it was empty. I had to manually record the shows I normally watch at 8PM on Friday.

I had no need to run the guided setup again When the To Do list that was empty. When I checked my Season Passes it showed that it was updating. but it took 20 or 30 minutes for the To Do List to populate. All my settings were still intact from before. It still had my zip code, TV provider etc. But I did have to go into the channel list and setup my received channels and my Favorite channels again. It basically had all of the channels checked after the rollback.
It sounds like exactly what I've described about how things go after rebooting with the clear and delete program information (includes guide data) option.

I suspect that the clock being "wrong" or "off" as I've heard it described, could wreak havoc with things so badly that it has to rebuild everything, just like the C&DPI reboot option causes (and should be expected when using it).

The SPs taking up to an hour (for ~150 SPs) is about right, but I've seen the updating, while not fully complete, get far enough that what has been processed will record.

What you really need to watch for are manual recordings, and non-ARWL entries that might have vanished. The C&DPI nukes both of those.

In many ways, using C&DPI is a much cleaner way than repeating guided setup, since it wipes things before repopulating, where the guided setup skips the wipe (clear), unless you change something like your channel lineup (or a major zip code change).

Unless anybody has a reason to keep what's in their deleted folder, I'd suggest clearing it out. KMTTG will save hours of time, as opposed to using the remote control to do it one at a time, especially with multiple TiVos. You still could get an improper rollback, based on what I'm still seeing reports of.

The questions I have are these:

1. Just how far off is the clock, and is it possibly a time-zone amount off?

2. Are the month, day, and year off as well?

While possibly not related, right before the update, all the cablecards, in all the Roamios in the house either couldn't acquire the date/time, and/or when they finally did, it was something like 1/1/96, and all the tables the cards would download would say that time, when they could get it.

It took many reboots, on every one to get the cablecard to acquire the correct date/time, and download the tables correctly. The TiVo clock was correct, though. So, I brushed it off as "not a TiVo problem".

I'd highly recommend against repeating guided setup, or any form of rebooting with added functions, unless it seems completely necessary. It seems like a recipe for irreversible database corruption, and that can brick a TiVo (even the mighty Roamio). Even regular manual reboots, when the databases are in a vulnerable state, can cause corruption.

Tivos are made to resist this kind of problem. But, if TiVo is sending out the wrong software, incorrectly setting the clock, and sending "only god knows what" incorrect/bad data to your TiVo, it probably wasn't designed to deal with that.

The NZ software that killed US TiVo HDs should be something people familiarize themselves with, as something that TiVo does on their end, or a malfunctioning server does on that end, literally can corrupt your TiVo beyond anything that can be resolved by anything other than replacement. I have no idea if the Roamio is less vulnerable, or more vulnerable, to bad software installs, and/or bad data being fed to it. It uses a "cloud" for some things that used to reside on the hard drive, and I don't know all the pros and cons to that.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #84
ncfoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
KMTTG is great for clearing out the Deleted folder
Perfect. Just did that to mitigate any potential damages.

I think that this event may need a name. Trying to think of something catchier and more meaningful than Tivopocalypse.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #85
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post
I think that this event may need a name. Trying to think of something catchier and more meaningful than Tivopocalypse.
St. Roamio's Day Massacre

or

DVRmageddon
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #86
caughey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
DVRmageddon
Too piratey.

How about the Roamio Void?

Margret tweeted a fix is in progress, so hopefully, it's a temporary thing, and you all can get back to the future.
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:57 PM   #87
aaronwt
HD Addict

My Roamio Pro had another Pending restart. I had emailed my TSN to Margret earlier so I guess it will update to the newest version again. It's still on the installation process right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
The questions I have are these:

1. Just how far off is the clock, and is it possibly a time-zone amount off?

2. Are the month, day, and year off as well?

When my Roamio Pro had reverted to the previous software, the clock was showing GMT. So it just had not applied the minus four hours for my time zone(EDT) yet until I forced a connection. It was still on the right date. My guide data was also still intact showing the next 12 or 13 days.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #88
ncfoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
My Roamio Pro had another Pending restart. I had emailed my TSN to Margret earlier so I guess it will update to the newest version again. It's still on the installation process right now.

The clock was showing GMT. So it just had not applied the minus four or minus five hours for my time zone yet.
I could hardly imagine anything more exciting than having the somewhat flaky new software PLUS the side-effects of the rollback. <facepalm>
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #89
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Holy S***
After they unnecessarily rolled mine back to 20., all my deleted programs (OVER 400) were suddenly all undeleted and returned back to active and MIXED IN WITH THE SUGGESTIONS AND NON-SUGGESTION FOLDERS I WAS KEEPING TO WATCH. My whole system was a mess that took me an hour to "fix", no doubt screwing up some of it along the way since my system was then "full" for the first time EVER and was that way for probably a full day without me knowing. I know for a fact it didn't record at least a few things it was supposed to today (Friday) due to this stupidity.

WTF did they do this? My TiVo was working JUST FINE AFTER THE UPDATE.
One of the worst TiVo experiences ever.

HUGE FAIL TIVO, HUGE.

Last edited by crxssi : 04-11-2014 at 11:45 PM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #90
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post
I could hardly imagine anything more exciting than having the somewhat flaky new software PLUS the side-effects of the rollback. <facepalm>
I was having zero problems with it before on my Roamio Pro. Hopefully that is still the case.

I see it even remembered my default recording options that I setup before. So everything seems fine right now.

Last edited by aaronwt : 04-11-2014 at 11:23 PM.