TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:39 PM   #271
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
We will begin updating TiVo Roamio, TiVo Premiere, and TiVo Mini boxes with 20.4.1 "Spring Update" later today.

Here are some of the changes:

- YouTube and Opera Store Apps should now work with all video resolutions (not just 720p and greater)
Pandora should have been listed also; now works with all video resolutions (not just 720p and greater)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #272
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Who the hell says "use KUID for all recordings"? I sure didn't. All I (and several others) are saying is let us CHOOSE as a default for crap's sake; that doesn't mean we'll KUID all recordings. How complicated is that?
People (not you of course) will set up the KUID a the standard option and forget to change it for each SP they don't need KUID, ergo the DVR will eventually have a problem by getting full.
With 300 to 450 hours KUID is not needed for most people, except people with OCD.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #273
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
People (not you of course) will set up the KUID a the standard option and forget to change it for each SP they don't need KUID, ergo the DVR will eventually have a problem by getting full.
With 300 to 450 hours KUID is not needed for most people, except people with OCD.
Must refrain from commenting.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:24 AM   #274
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Freedom of Choice, more is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
lessd, a comment like this lands you on my "Ignore" list, glad to not read your posts any longer <poof>

[On the soap box]

Dear TiVo,
It is fine to have a pre-set out of the box plug and play default setting BUT as a long time owner & user of your equipment I am a stounch advocate of allowing owners of a TiVo DVR to make their own choices and have maximum flexibility with regards to settings, viewing & recording options to enhances one's own viewing pleasure and of course never to the detriment of the basic fundamental recording capability of the DVR

Enuff said on this topic..... hopefully someone a TiVo is listening and checking their ego at the door.

[Stepping off]

Gman
Old 04-11-2014, 07:05 AM   #275
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanTiVo View Post
lessd, a comment like this lands you on my "Ignore" list, glad to not read your posts any longer <poof>

[On the soap box]

Dear TiVo,
It is fine to have a pre-set out of the box plug and play default setting BUT as a long time owner & user of your equipment I am a stounch advocate of allowing owners of a TiVo DVR to make their own choices and have maximum flexibility with regards to settings, viewing & recording options to enhances one's own viewing pleasure and of course never to the detriment of the basic fundamental recording capability of the DVR

Enuff said on this topic..... hopefully someone a TiVo is listening and checking their ego at the door.
You're a staunch advocate of that, and I greatly sympathize, but TiVo is not and never has been. Despite their slogan, TiVo has never been about fine-grained options for the user - there's been any number of them proposed over the years and not implemented. TiVo is about ease of use and is about that even more now that the focus is on the cable system TiVos. TiVo undoubtedly has a high-priority goal of minimizing the calls to customer support; that is a very important goal for the cable companies (and really, given the general quality of cable company support folks, minimizing the amount that they have to know is indeed important!!)

The KUID option would be nice, but as seen in the Series 1 days with tiny disks, it caused a lot of problems, and those problems were often non-obvious and very definitely not understandable by some users without a lot of support effort. TiVo knows this, so I suspect there's a high hurdle for the KUID default option. When I picture a typical cable company support person dealing with KUID problems, I shudder!
Old 04-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #276
bbrown9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
The KUID option would be nice, but as seen in the Series 1 days with tiny disks, it caused a lot of problems, and those problems were often non-obvious and very definitely not understandable by some users without a lot of support effort. TiVo knows this, so I suspect there's a high hurdle for the KUID default option. When I picture a typical cable company support person dealing with KUID problems, I shudder!
I don't understand. Are people OK with TiVo deleting shows they've already recorded but haven't watched yet? How is that any different? I'd be more upset about that because the newer stuff can sometimes be found again in the schedule again. Not so much for the older stuff.
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #277
midas
I heard that

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9 View Post
I don't understand. Are people OK with TiVo deleting shows they've already recorded but haven't watched yet? How is that any different? I'd be more upset about that because the newer stuff can sometimes be found again in the schedule again. Not so much for the older stuff.
Well there's two parts to your question.

First, yes, I'm OK with that. If I haven't bothered to mark something KUID and it eventually gets deleted that means it's been on the Tivo for a long time. If I haven't watched in such a long time, it can't be that important.

The second part is actually more important because it has nothing to do with my personal preference. People were calling support, not only because things didn't get recorded, but also because they couldn't even schedule things when their Tivo wasn't actually full.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #278
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
KMTTG is great for clearing out the Deleted folder
Yes, I'd be very mad, if it weren't for KMTTG.

It took about 5 minutes to clear ~300 to 500 deleted items (each) on three Roamios, and 99% of that 5 minutes was just letting KMTTG clear them out.

Ctrl-A to select all, then press permanently delete.

Don't try to do it on more than one TiVo at a time, as it (in my case) didn't work to try and do them all. Still, only ~5 minutes total, to wait for one to finish, move on to the next, wait, then I did the third TiVo, easy-peasy, and done.

Perhaps multiple instances of KMTTG running could do multiple, concurrently, but that might have taken longer.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #279
MisterTWo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy126 View Post
Last night Roamio pro was recording 2 channels and I was watching one of them in delay. The delayed one's picture and audio froze for like 5 seconds and I knew it was going to reboot. I quickly hit the tivo button and it seemed to get it out of that state. New behavior to me since last update.
I had the exact same problem for the first time last night, the screen would freeze until I hit skip back then skip 30 seconds. It happened probably 10 times while watching a recording (but ff'd to live) with shows recording in the background. This is the first time I've had this issue since my Roamio was updated to 20.4.1 last week.
MisterTWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #280
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I've had four distinct reboots, while doing very different things.

1. Doing nothing.
2. Watching Live TV.
3. Watching a recording.
4. Watching Netflix.

I'd say I've had at least seven reboots since the update, and that's just one Roamio. They are all supposedly on "log-monitoring", and I've been diligent in using the 777-clear for AV matters, and 911-clear for reboots and show-stoppers. I just hope somebody is actually doing something with it all. It's a lot of entertainment-interruptus...

I'd love to be rolled-back, as long as that doesn't cause more problems. I didn't ever have any Netflix reboots on the prior software, which I was doing Netflix marathons on for hours-on-end. That's why I haven't posted anything in the Netflix issue threads in so long.

My official opinion on this update is:

I understand it may be better for those who had missed recordings, due to the overlap glitch/issue, and made use of long paddings. I never do that, so I don't get to see any relief. I get the feeling that if these same folks start getting reboots, they'll find themselves just as unhappy.

I'm seeing quite a few mentions of reboots since the update, across many threads, and new forum members creating new threads, rather than finding their way here...
Old 04-12-2014, 04:38 AM   #281
supasta

I have been getting audio drops on both my Roamio Pro and Mini since this update. The audio will just stop, as if it is muted. Live TV or a recording. Rewinding or skipping back a tick will correct the problem, and replaying the same section will have the audio intact.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #282
sbiller

RCN To Deploy Spring Update - a few more details

Hello RCN TiVo Subscribers...

Over the next 4 weeks we will be deploying a TiVo Spring Update to all deployed TiVo's, While most of the enhancements are UNDER the hood, it's does provide a foundation for some exciting items in the next few weeks

D.C. and P.A. will Roll Next week. And in this release you will see :

MultiSession VOD Support : Right now you can only have 1 VOD session per multi room deployment. Now under 2.8 you can have multiple. at least 3 VOD sessions streaming. (as long as you have enough Tuners to spare

Slightly Improved Tune times on the Mini's.

What to Watch now will provide more in-depth show details and information including channel number.

C133 Errors have been modified to be less SCARY. So if there is a TiVo Backoffice issue and it creates a C133 error it won't tell you the world is ending..

VOD and Other APPS will continue to work when C133 is happening.

Some HDMI Enhancements and how Mini's reacted when there were HDMI issues. No more Mini Reboots.

Once we get thru the 2.8 upgrade it will Tee things up nicely some very cool enhancements coming down the pipe.

Also Those of you asking about the status of the 6 Tuner (Roamio) type solution, that project is very much in the works. There will be some substancial updates around that and many other exciting items coming in the next couple months...

-Jason
--
Jason Nealis,
V.P. Engineering and Operations

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r291...ng-Update-20.8
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #283
swerver

YouTube is broken for me, after this update. Netflix and on demand still work. Anyone else have this problem? Tried a reboot. YouTube logo loads but then nothing happens after that. Casting from phone does same thing. Both ways still work on my mini which got the update too.

Last edited by swerver : 04-12-2014 at 01:26 PM.
swerver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #284
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasta View Post
I have been getting audio drops on both my Roamio Pro and Mini since this update. The audio will just stop, as if it is muted. Live TV or a recording. Rewinding or skipping back a tick will correct the problem, and replaying the same section will have the audio intact.
I have that as well. Since it happens no matter what I'm doing, I feel pretty safe in saying it isn't due to my cable signal.

If you want to (attempt to) get to the bottom of it, ask to be placed on log-monitoring for it, then use the 777-clear and 911-clear sequences to enhance what is logged, and place markers in the logs to help TiVo know where to be looking in the logs.

Either TiVoMargret, or TiVo customer support, can place your TSNs into log monitoring. TiVoMarget is more likely not to argue and drill you about it, and the chances of getting a followup/follow-through, are also better.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #285
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I have that as well. Since it happens no matter what I'm doing, I feel pretty safe in saying it isn't due to my cable signal.
Is it present on the SPDIF as well HDMI? I can't say I've noticed anything, but I'm fairly exclusive SPDIF
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #286
aaronwt
HD Addict

I'm using HDMI and not noticed any audio issues in my setup. So at least for now it is fine.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #287
andyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm using HDMI and not noticed any audio issues in my setup. So at least for now it is fine.
+1
Old 04-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #288
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Is it present on the SPDIF as well HDMI? I can't say I've noticed anything, but I'm fairly exclusive SPDIF
I'm exclusively HDMI w/Dolby Digital, stright from the Roamio to the TV (Sony, Samsung, & LG). I've tried PCM, but that doesn't fix it.

If I had any other way to hook it up, I'd do so, but the base Roamio doesn't have all the additional outputs that the Plus/Pro do. I'm not feeling like buying the special breakout cable to try component w/analog.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #289
aaronwt
HD Addict

Hmm. I guess I'll find out tomorrow with my Roamio Basic if I have any issues. I will be taking it over to my GFs house and it will be connected directly to her TV over HDMI. At home my ROamio Pro and Basic go through a video processor before going to my TV.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #290
ahwman

I woke up this morning only to find some very odd things with my TiVo:

• My Roamio Pro reverted from the spring update 20.4.1 back to 20.3.8 - where it stands now
• All of my deleted programs had magically returned
• My channel lineup customizations were set back to default

I have forced several connections, however it does not see the 20.4.1 update. Is there any logical reason why this would have occurred?
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #291
ncfoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwman View Post

• My Roamio Pro reverted from the spring update 20.4.1 back to 20.3.8 - where it stands now

I have forced several connections, however it does not see the 20.4.1 update. Is there any logical reason why this would have occurred?
If you scan the forums, you'll see that many people were hit by this combo. Margaret from Tivo put the number at about 200.

I think it should go back to 20.4.1, but I don't know how the other symptoms will resolve.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:44 PM   #292
jwbelcher

Quote:
I'm exclusively HDMI w/Dolby Digital, stright from the Roamio to the TV (Sony, Samsung, & LG). I've tried PCM, but that doesn't fix it.

If I had any other way to hook it up, I'd do so, but the base Roamio doesn't have all the additional outputs that the Plus/Pro do. I'm not feeling like buying the special breakout cable to try component w/analog.
I know it wont help here, but IIRC you were talking about the HDMI switches recently and having trouble finding a compatible one? I picked up an Inveo HDMI switch with SPDIF audio out (I14-42265) at TigerDirect that seems to be compatible. I originally picked up so I could get SPDIF out from my Roku, but seemed to work Ok with the TiVo (YMMV). My biggest complaint is the bright LEDs on the front. I've also wanted a HDFury but never bit the bullet. They have another product called DR HDMI that could help some of your other HDMI related issues.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #293
stannenb

I hadn't noticed I'd gotten a software updated until, after my second random reboot while I was watching a recording while recording 2 programs. I checked, and it was new software. I've now had 3 reboots in the space of a handful of days, all while watching something and record 2-3 other things. Really annoying, especially since it hacks a small chunk out of the recordings.

I'm assuming there's nothing I can do about his, other than hope Tivo notices, finds the bug, and fixes it, yes?
stannenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #294
ahwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post
If you scan the forums, you'll see that many people were hit by this combo. Margaret from Tivo put the number at about 200.

I think it should go back to 20.4.1, but I don't know how the other symptoms will resolve.
Thanks for the heads up, I though I had a ghost in my TiVo .
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:30 PM   #295
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
I know it wont help here, but IIRC you were talking about the HDMI switches recently and having trouble finding a compatible one? I picked up an Inveo HDMI switch with SPDIF audio out (I14-42265) at TigerDirect that seems to be compatible. I originally picked up so I could get SPDIF out from my Roku, but seemed to work Ok with the TiVo (YMMV). My biggest complaint is the bright LEDs on the front. I've also wanted a HDFury but never bit the bullet. They have another product called DR HDMI that could help some of your other HDMI related issues.
Thanks, I'll check into it. Right now, I just give the TiVos a direct-in, and use switches for everything else. Funny thing is that everything else works with every switch I have ever bought. It tends to make the TiVo look rather guilty of being the problem child, when every TV and every other HDMI-out device in the whole house works fine, in any possible configuration, all the way to 1080p/60...
Old 04-13-2014, 12:18 AM   #296
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwman View Post

Make sure you send Margret an email with your TSN so the TiVo can be updated again to the SPring update. Mine was back to the correct software a few hours after emailing Margret.

This thread should have all the info you need.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=516488

Here is the post that references the tweet from Margret with her email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Can also confirm that the rollback should NOT be happening:
https://twitter.com/tivodesign/statu...25147748884480

Quote:
@netnothing Nothing should be rolling back. I need TSNs of boxes that appear to have been rolled back. margret at tivo dot com
Everyone who was rolled back should email Margret!

-Kevin

Old 04-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #297
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Quote:
Hmm. I guess I'll find out tomorrow with my Roamio Basic if I have any issues. I will be taking it over to my GFs house and it will be connected directly to her TV over HDMI. At home my ROamio Pro and Basic go through a video processor before going to my TV.
We watched four episodes of Grey's Anatomy at my GFs house today from my Roamio Basic. It was sending DD over HDMI to her Vizio LCD set. We didn't run into any audio issues while watching those episodes.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #298
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
We watched four episodes of Grey's Anatomy at my GFs house today from my Roamio Basic. It was sending DD over HDMI to her Vizio LCD set. We didn't run into any audio issues while watching those episodes.
What output(s), as in resolutions were basic set to use/allow, and how old is the TV (rough estimate of manufacture date)?

Any specifics help:

1. TiVo settings
2. HDMI cable revision level/spec, and standard-speed or high-speed rating
3. HDMI TV port, which port number, and the revision/spec of the TV HDMI-in
4. Anything that might explain why it's working

Things that work fine, even on a switch (which I don't use for TiVos):

1. 2 Roku 2 XS
2. 2 WDTV Live Hubs
3. 2 LG DVD Players
4. Sony Blu-Ray player
5. 2 Chromecasts
6. Samsung combo DVD/VCR
7. 2 Lenovo laptops w/HDMI-out

All work up to 1080p/60, most support /24 as well.

If you could willy-nilly hook all these up, even throw MonoPrice and IOGear switches in the mix, and use any HDMI cables, but 3 TiVos won't work with the switches, nor will they work well straight-in, what conclusion would you be headed towards?

One thing I've picked up on, is that regardless of setting a fixed output resolution, once I enter Hulu Plus, or Netflix, the setting is not honored (or has cut-outs in the HDMI flow, where a change would take place if native was set). This causes the switches to cut audio and sound, making a pop with each change and change back, and I have to switch the switch to another input and back again, to get it back. So, I give the TiVos straight connections in.

Direct HDMI in from the TiVo, I don't have to switch the HDMI input, but get the cut-out where the A/V is momentarily gone with a pop, then comes back with a pop.

With Live TV and recording playback, the same thing happens as in the prior paragraph, but there's no reason to suspect the resolution changes, and it's not at the points where commercials start/end, but happens while watching programming or commercials. It doesn't discriminate, or only show up on some channels.

I can watch Hulu Plus and Netflix all day long without any issues, on anything except my Roamios.

True Live TV using the TV's internal tuners does not have these issues, either.

Things weren't perfect before the update, but were better, lesser, and fewer & far between, once I set my fixed out to 1080i, as 1080p was just terrible. Now 1080i acts like when I had it set to 1080p, before the update.

I was loving Netflix on the previous software and running 1080p/24 Dexter marathons at a solid SuperHD stream (I have insanely awesome internet, with 8 downstream and 4 upstream DOCSIS 3 bonded channels, and only use wireless for the chromecasts, and sometimes a laptop). Now any amount of RW/FF action tends to cause a reboot (although I get those doing just about anything one does with a TiVo, now).

Any logical explanation for this? Why is the TiVo not playing well with anything?

It's not the cables. I'm on my fourth brand, and I've only been trying different ones to try and make the TiVo work like anything else I have.

I'm not bashing TiVo, or looking for a fight. I just want to get to the bottom of this, and be clear that things were better for me before the update.

I was not affected by any rollbacks, but cleared my RD folders, just in case I would be one of those to get hit by that.

The hard drives have been tested, both in and out of the TiVos. They are 3TB WD Red NAS, which support the same AV-function as the AV-GP drives (which TiVo doesn't even utilize).

I have also tried hooking up nothing but the TiVos, leaving everything else disconnected from the TVs.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #299
aaronwt
HD Addict

My Roamio Basic is set for one output resolution. 1080P60

The HDMI cable is at least five years old. So whatever was out back then. But it has worked with the advanced audio codecs from a BD player before.

HDMI input on the TV is HDMI 3. But that shouldn't make a difference.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #300
morac
Cat God

I haven't heard any audio issues either on My Roamio Pro with the new software (or the old for that matter). My Roamio is set to 1080p and connected to an Onkyo 7.1 receiver via HDMI. The audio does go out for a sec when jumping between full screen and the HD menus, but it's done that for years and the software tries to compensate by rewinding the video slightly.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote