TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-06-2014, 04:30 AM   #1
siratfus

XBOX ONE owners thread...

Any xbox one owners here? I would like to know how it has worked out for you? How is the Tivo integration through the HDMI pass-through?

I just purchased a Roku 3 specifically for Amazon Prime because I hate firing up my PS3. Today, I had an epiphany. Why don't I just sell my ps3 and also return the Roku, put all that money towards the One. Especially after reading this article: http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/05/t...-one/#comments

Anyway, would like to know what Xbox One owners think of the tivo integration. Thanks!
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:48 AM   #2
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
Any xbox one owners here? I would like to know how it has worked out for you? How is the Tivo integration through the HDMI pass-through?

I just purchased a Roku 3 specifically for Amazon Prime because I hate firing up my PS3. Today, I had an epiphany. Why don't I just sell my ps3 and also return the Roku, put all that money towards the One. Especially after reading this article: http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/05/t...-one/#comments

Anyway, would like to know what Xbox One owners think of the tivo integration. Thanks!
Being the XBox One also plays games your idea makes sense. if you don't do the games wait and see what develops for those third party applications.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
danterner
Not it!

There's an XBOX One thread here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=501322 if you haven't seen it. Since there aren't a ton of games yet (they'll come, eventually), and since most everyone in the thread owns a TiVo, much of the talk in the thread to date has involved discussion of the One's TiVo integration.

Note: it's a huge and ongoing thread, and it started well before the One's launch, back when everyone was still speculating on specs and calling it the 720. If you want to skip to where people first started getting the actual One in their hands, that'd be about here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...15#post9905315
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by danterner : 04-06-2014 at 07:24 AM.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

I use a TiVo Mini with my second XBOne. And in that setup the XBOne turns the receiver and TV on. In my Primary setup I use a roamio basic with that XBOne but I don't have it turn on any Devices or control the TiVo because I have multiple TiVos in that room. The XBOne uses remote code zero which controls all TiVo s. In my secondary setup the XBOne pauses, plays, ff, and rewinds. And I guess if I wanted to watch live TV it will got to the channel you want. Like I can say CNN, and it will go to that channel.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
siratfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I use a TiVo Mini with my second XBOne. And in that setup the XBOne turns the receiver and TV on. In my Primary setup I use a roamio basic with that XBOne but I don't have it turn on any Devices or control the TiVo because I have multiple TiVos in that room. The XBOne uses remote code zero which controls all TiVo s. In my secondary setup the XBOne pauses, plays, ff, and rewinds. And I guess if I wanted to watch live TV it will got to the channel you want. Like I can say CNN, and it will go to that channel.
What about going to your tivo home screen, your settings, opera apps, etc. If you can't do that with Xbox commands, you can still do it as long as you use your tivo remote, correct?
Old 04-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #6
siratfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
There's an XBOX One thread here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=501322 if you haven't seen it. Since there aren't a ton of games yet (they'll come, eventually), and since most everyone in the thread owns a TiVo, much of the talk in the thread to date has involved discussion of the One's TiVo integration.

Note: it's a huge and ongoing thread, and it started well before the One's launch, back when everyone was still speculating on specs and calling it the 720. If you want to skip to where people first started getting the actual One in their hands, that'd be about here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...15#post9905315

Okay, thank you.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
What about going to your tivo home screen, your settings, opera apps, etc. If you can't do that with Xbox commands, you can still do it as long as you use your tivo remote, correct?
Yes. That is what I do.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #8
siratfus

Quote:
Yes. That is what I do.
Do you need Xbox subscription to enjoy any of the media aspect? Like the Amazon, netflix apps? Voice control?
Old 04-07-2014, 02:33 AM   #9
siratfus

Hmm, going to have to think about this more. Digging a little further, it seems you need a gold membership to use all the apps? $60 yearly.

Something is fundamentally wrong about this. Granted, I don't know much about xbox, so this may be just the norm. But it feels really strange coming from ps3 where you didn't have to pay for this. I buy a $100 Roku to use the apps. But I can't use the apps if I buy a $500 xbox? I need to further pay $60 a year?
Old 04-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
JSY

Quote:
Hmm, going to have to think about this more. Digging a little further, it seems you need a gold membership to use all the apps? $60 yearly.

Something is fundamentally wrong about this. Granted, I don't know much about xbox, so this may be just the norm. But it feels really strange coming from ps3 where you didn't have to pay for this. I buy a $100 Roku to use the apps. But I can't use the apps if I buy a $500 xbox? I need to further pay $60 a year?
That's kind of been the thorn on the side for many people - why do you have to pay for Xbox Live Gold yearly just to use the apps. It didn't bother me too much since I have Gold because I sometimes play games with my brother online and you need Gold - but I can see why this would bug people.

You can often find deals to lower that $60 cost, but nevertheless there is a cost.

BTW, to answer your orig Q - I set my Xbox One as a standalone unit and I don't use the HDMI in since I have more than one TV provider and there is no passive passthrough HDMI which means the Xbox One will always have to be on even if I use that other TV provider (DirecTV) that comes through on the same HDMI cable.
JSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Yes. It's been this way the entire time. Since back when the apps showed up on the 360. The good thing is you shouldn't need to pay $60 for XBL. I've been on XBL for 8.5 years now. The most I've ever paid for XBL is $35 a year. And that was last November when I paid that much. You just need get them on sale. Which happens farily often.

But even still. If you don't game then it is certainly an extra expense. i got XBL originally for the games in 2005 when the 360 was launched. The apps were added at some point later. But for a person just interetsed in the apps, there are certainly many other devices that do a great job and cost alot less and use alot less power. If I were only going to use the apps, the XBOne would not be what I would use.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #12
siratfus

I knew there was a membership for multiplayer online gaming, I just didn't know it's also required for the apps. The fact that it has a blu-ray player is also ideal because everything is truly in ONE place. $60 is not an issue. It's the principle, It's quite annoying.

I think Microsoft isn't thinking clearly here. Along with gamers, they're also trying to get people who don't game or casually game to buy this console for the entertainment/tv aspect, people like me. They should unlock these features and understand that their gamers will still purchase the memberships, while at the same time, selling more consoles to non-gamers. Aren't they struggling with sales?
Old 04-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
Jonathan_S

I've got an xbox one, but I never got around to playing with the video passthrough or TiVo control capabilities.

I've got the xbox set up as a standalone unit; it and my TiVo are each directly connected to my receiver. (And never taught it my TV box was a TiVo)
Old 04-10-2014, 03:52 AM   #14
siratfus

Aaron, could it be possible to hook up a tivo with a cable card activated but with NO tivo service and get the channel guides through Xbox instead?

That would be a nice compromise for those who don't care about pausing, rewinding, etc. You can truly use a tivo as a replacement for the "standard" boxes from the cable providers.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

I wouldn't think so. But I have never tried.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #16
siratfus

Quote:
I wouldn't think so. But I have never tried.
So the Xbox can't pull channel guide independently? They are dependent on your service provider? I'm just wondering because I read an article about how the Xbox One should add a cable card slot to truly be the "One." But I'm thinking if it can provide channel guides through the gold membership service, then it doesn't really need a cable card slot. All it needs is dvr functionality.

Do you think DVR functionality is a software/firmware issue, or would they need to revamp the hardware?
Old 04-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #17
siratfus

The more I think about it Aaron, I don't see why not. Unfortunately, most of us have subscriptions to Tivo so we can't test this. But the way I see it, the Xbox doesn't care or know whether you have a tivo or a provider box, right? When you set it up, I'm sure you had to let them know your provider, that's all right? Then they pull the OneGuide. What do they care whether or not we paid Tivo to for DVR functionality?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #18
rainwater

Quote:
So the Xbox can't pull channel guide independently? They are dependent on your service provider?
That is the only way the Xbox can get the guide (it downloads it over the internet). I'm guessing they are using Tribune just like TiVo does so the guide should match. But it will only be able to change to a mapped channel. It doesn't have any communication with the TiVo or cablecard.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
So the Xbox can't pull channel guide independently? They are dependent on your service provider? I'm just wondering because I read an article about how the Xbox One should add a cable card slot to truly be the "One." But I'm thinking if it can provide channel guides through the gold membership service, then it doesn't really need a cable card slot. All it needs is dvr functionality.

Do you think DVR functionality is a software/firmware issue, or would they need to revamp the hardware?
The XBOne does have it's own guide. That is not the issue. I can see it now if I want. But I'm not sure how the TiVo behaves now without a subscription. There are other devices that can be used if one just needs one tuner. And I don't think the TiVo will work with a cable card without a subscription. But I don't know for sure.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #20
siratfus

Quote:
The XBOne does have it's own guide. That is not the issue. I can see it now if I want. But I'm not sure how the TiVo behaves now without a subscription. There are other devices that can be used if one just needs one tuner. And I don't think the TiVo will work with a cable card without a subscription. But I don't know for sure.
It works just like a rental box. My friend has no subscription to Tivo, he just uses it to avoid rental fees, only paying rental fee for the cablecard. He gets all his channels tuned. He just has no dvr functionality, and if he hits the Guide button, it won't work, it'll ask you to get service. It works just like an old school 80's box.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #21
rainwater

Quote:
The XBOne does have it's own guide.
Why do you say that? It has the OneGuide which appears to be Tribune guide data matching TiVos guide data.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #22
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:

I have an Xbox One and my TiVo passes through. Don't even know it until I want to play games or watch something on Netflix or Amazon... a quick push of the Xbox One media remote and it's up and running... no input changing... I love it. Oh and the voice controls are great. I can be across the room doing something and say Xbox pause, Xbox ff, etc...

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #23
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Why do you say that? It has the OneGuide which appears to be Tribune guide data matching TiVos guide data.
It has it's own guide meaning that there is a program guide that pops up on the XBOne screen. I have no idea where there info comes from. Plus that info shouldn't be in guide form. It is the device that is taking the info and inserting it into a guide.