TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2014, 12:54 AM   #1
Punker1234

OOH streaming always stops, Roamio "not setup" for streaming.

Good evening.

I was hoping someone could answer two questions for me in regards to my device. I have WIFI at work, although it's not the best, but every time I try and stream a program at work, the playback will always freeze 3-5 minutes in. I've never had it not freeze. And when I mean freeze, I will let it sit for 15 minutes and it will not resume. Now, I don't know if this is my connection, but if I conduct the download method, it works fine.

Additionally, I also notice that every once in awhile, it will say my device is not setup for streaming. I've probably had to do this setup at least 10 times and only owned the box for about 2 months. What gives?
Punker1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:14 AM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

First step is to reboot your tivo, and all networking devices in the loop (modem, router, switches, etc)

Is your Roamio connected via ethernet or wireless?
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
Punker1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
First step is to reboot your tivo, and all networking devices in the loop (modem, router, switches, etc)

Is your Roamio connected via ethernet or wireless?
I've done this quite a few times. Roamio is hooked up via ethernet via Powerline adapter.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Well, with a standalone Stream, tivo specifically states that it should be connected via ethernet. The Roamio's streaming capability is simply the chip from the stream sitting on the motherboard. I wonder if your powerline connection is fluctuating enough to cause a problem?

to quote tivo:

"Both the TiVo Stream and the DVR you wish to use with it must be connected to either an Ethernet or MoCA network.

NOTE: TiVo Stream does NOT support the following network types: wireless, Ethernet over Power, dial-up (phone), crossover network, or a business network."

Can you test with wired networking to eliminate the possibility?
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
mrizzo80

Do you ever experience the freeze issue while streaming at home?

Also, iOS 7.1 was released this week. It's possible there could have been issues (that the TiVo app is more sensitive to relative to most other apps) in the networking stack in 7.0.x that were resolved in 7.1. I don't know of any specifics but thought I'd throw the possibility out there.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #6
Punker1234

I was not aware of the wired requirement, quite strange. My IOS device isn't my phone, I simply use that because my phone is an Android. I know I am running IOS7, but which version I don't know. It's not new, probably at least 6-9 months old.

No worries, I'm assuming it's because of the powerline. I will test and see how it performs wired. I also haven't tried in in house as I don't need it, but maybe worth it to see if I hit the same snags.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
mpnret

Mine does the same freezing thing. Just not every time. It does it about 1 out of 5 times. And that's on my home network. Romaio pro is wired and Ipad has good wireless strength. I was running 7.0.6 and I just upgraded to 7.1 today. I will have to see if that makes any difference.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
ohboy710

I have nothing but problems with the streaming to the point where I have given up even trying to use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ohboy710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #9
ncfoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboy710 View Post
I have nothing but problems with the streaming to the point where I have given up even trying to use it.
I can hardly wait for Android streaming, so I can lament how bad the streaming is, instead of lamenting the lack of streaming.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
lickwid

I did a quick search and didn't find this mentioned. I don't use the Tivo Stream option since I am now using a Galaxy Note 3 as my primary cell phone, but it appears that Tivo allows you to run setup even when you're away from the home. I've done it with both my iPad Air and my coworker's retina iPad Mini. I could have sworn when the feature for OOH streaming first appeared, you had to first setup within the same network. And if you ever had any errors, you couldn't stream or download anything until you returned home to setup again.

Hopefully Android streaming is turned in June as expected.
lickwid is offline   Reply With Quote