TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #1
enzo thecat

Im a first time Tivo Owner. My Tivo is recording shows I didnt tell it to record.

Hi. This is my 3rd day with Tivo. The Roamio box started recording movies last night. They didnt appear in "My shows", but about 4 movies had the red recording label next to them on the guide. If I wanted to watch them from he beginning, I could. I came from Comcast DVRs so this is all new to me. Is the Tivo recording shows it thinks I might be interested in? If so, where is it storing them and how do I delete them? I dont want it recording anything I dont tell tell it to record because I have enough to manage without having to delete shows and movies all the time.

If there are already threads on this matter, can someone post a link, please? Not really sure what to search for.

Thanks in advance for your help.
enzo thecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Here you go.
Tivo Suggestions

They are stored at the bottom of your Now playing list in a Tivo Suggestions folder.

Quote:
When the DVR has empty space, it will automatically record some TiVo Suggestions. This is an excellent way for you to discover new shows that may be of interest to you. You can find recorded TiVo Suggestions at the bottom of the TiVo Recordings list below the recordings you requested. Suggestions will have a TiVo icon next to them and will be stored in a TiVo Suggestions folder if Groups are enabled.

TiVo Suggestions never replace shows you request or prevent them from being recorded. TiVo Suggestions are always the first programs deleted to make room for recordings you request.
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/205
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
kbmb

Your Tivo is likely recording suggestions. You can read about them here:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/205

Couple of quick points:

- If you have folders turned on, they should all be within a Suggestions folder. They will also show up in a shows folder

- Suggestions do not impact storage space. They don't make the storage meter go down and they will never stop your Tivo from recording actual shows that you schedule

- You can turn them off if you want.

-Kevin
kbmb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
rad1701

TIVO's default is to record things it thinks you might enjoy based on your recording habits, etc. You can just delete them and there is a setting to turn this off in the settings menu somewhere - just can't recall exactly where it is but it's there.
rad1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
jrtroo
User

In my opinion, the ability of the Tivo to record suggestions is one of its best features. Since it does not impact season passes, I would give it a try for a while and see how it captures items you may be interested in.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
enzo thecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
In my opinion, the ability of the Tivo to record suggestions is one of its best features. Since it does not impact season passes, I would give it a try for a while and see how it captures items you may be interested in.
Thank you so much, guys!!! I LOVE the Tivo system so far.

My only complaint is that I can't find answers to questions such as these. There should be a user tutorial or help menu that explains these features. Its a little overwhelming right now, but over time and with help from friendly people here, I'm sure I'll get it all figured out.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
kbmb

I suggest you download the Roamio Viewers Guide PDF:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2734

-Kevin
kbmb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #8
enzo thecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
I suggest you download the Roamio Viewers Guide PDF:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2734

-Kevin
THERE YOU GO......THATS WHAT I NEEDED!!! THANKS!!!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

The best advice I can give to a first time TiVo owner is,
1) actually read your owners manual.
2) Play around with TiVo, learn what it does and does not do.
Goto the different sections on your TiVo, look up what they do, use your manual and the TiVo website, even this forum to learn all the cool stuff your TiVo will do, also it's limitations.
TiVo's are the best DVR's out there IMO but like any other system you need to learn the software in order to make good use of it.
Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Last edited by Joe01880 : 04-10-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
tarheelblue32

Make sure you use the 30 second skip code. It took me a couple of months before I found out about it.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #11
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
The best advice I can give to a first time TiVo owner is, 1) actually read your owners manual. 2) Play around with TiVo, learn what it does and does not do.
I think it's helpful to re-read the manual after you've used a device for a few weeks or so. I always learn or re-learn a few things that way.

I've had my TiVo for about nine months and was looking at the manual this morning (someone posted the link). Just skimming the pages. Found a shortcut that'll be useful -- press the Tivo button twice to go right to My Shows. And I'm anxious to try the shortcut to jump right to the To Do list.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #12
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
I think it's helpful to re-read the manual after you've used a device for a few weeks or so. I always learn or re-learn a few things that way.

I've had my TiVo for about nine months and was looking at the manual this morning (someone posted the link). Just skimming the pages. Found a shortcut that'll be useful -- press the Tivo button twice to go right to My Shows. And I'm anxious to try the shortcut to jump right to the To Do list.
Yeah there are lots of great shortcuts.

Tivo then:

1 - Season Pass
2 - To Do List
3 - Wishlist
4 - search
5 - Browse
6 - History
0 - TiVo Cartoon (the one that plays when you first boot).

Another cool one is that you can manage channels you receive directly in the mini guide or grid guide (I prefer the TiVo guide). I find this really useful since I delete every non-HD channel since I don't care for them. Whenever there is a channel lineup or new channel change I can quickly delete the channel from my guide.

to do this: Press Select while in Live TV to bring up the mini guide (or guide if you use the grid guide). Then select the channel name (push left). Press select again and you'll get a menu with three options: Watch Channel, Delete Channel from your Line Up, and something else I can't recall of the top of my head.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #13
BuffaloDenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
The best advice I can give to a first time TiVo owner is,
1) actually read your owners manual.
2) Play around with TiVo, learn what it does and does not do.
Goto the different sections on your TiVo, look up what they do, use your manual and the TiVo website, even this forum to learn all the cool stuff your TiVo will do, also it's limitations.
TiVo's are the best DVR's out there IMO but like any other system you need to learn the software in order to make good use of it.
Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Mine didn't come with a manual - where do you get one?
BuffaloDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #14
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloDenny View Post
Mine didn't come with a manual - where do you get one?
The link in post #7 of this thread. For whatever reason, Tivo decided the cost savings of not including a printed manual were enough to justify leaving those new users that have never used a Tivo to fend for themselves in figuring out how it works.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Make sure you use the 30 second skip code. It took me a couple of months before I found out about it.
Or try the default 30 second scan. I used the 30 second skip for a decade. When the 30 second scan came out I thought I would not like it. But I found that I loved it and had no desire to go back to using the 30 second skip.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #16
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Or try the default 30 second scan. I used the 30 second skip for a decade. When the 30 second scan came out I thought I would not like it. But I found that I loved it and had no desire to go back to using the 30 second skip.
Really? After I inputted the code for the 30-second skip, I realized just how much I hated the default 30-second scan. I guess reasonable people can disagree.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #17
enzo thecat

Thank you so much everyone. I went home at lunch and started reading the manual. Didnt have much time until I had to come back to the office. But already, I found a fix to a nuisance...the folders (or whatever they call them). I dont like my programs compartmentalized in folders. I like to see them all individually. Apparently hitting the red "C" button gets rid of the folders.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #18
ncfoster

Quote:
I think it is going to depend on your viewing habits, and what you want to get out of your Tivo. Which model(s) you have, will also play a role.

I came from a Premiere with only 2 tuners, and I HATED Suggestions, because I would find that the tuner that I "wasn't using" was constantly changed to channels I didn't want it on, making it nearly impossible to use tuner swapping without thinking ahead and recording everything.

Even on my Roamio Pro, the 6 tuners haven't made me turn on Suggestions, because I am a seriously heavy user of tuner-swapping. I may be the exception, but I do a lot of live sports viewing, on top of the recordings that I do. There are many times that I am swapping between two or three live games, two or three other things are recording, and I have a kid channel queued up, in case I need to cede the TV to them for a few minutes to preserve sanity in the house.

Also, add into the mix that we have a Mini, which could grab a tuner at any time.

So, which is more useful to you? Having something pre-recorded that you might want to watch later? Or having instant access to your live tuners? To me, I am far more likely to use the live tuners. In this age of streaming, it is so uncommon that I miss something that I wish I had recorded that isn't easily available elsewhere for free, and I record enough as it is that I never want for anything to watch.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #19
skid71

Quote:
Really? After I inputted the code for the 30-second skip, I realized just how much I hated the default 30-second scan. I guess reasonable people can disagree.
That is ludicrous and unreasonable! I disagree!
I keeeed....I keeeed.

I thought I would like the skip better, but found that we actually see some stuff on scan, rewind and watch it. Who knew?
skid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #20
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid71 View Post
I thought I would like the skip better, but found that we actually see some stuff on scan
I guess it depends on how you intend to use the 30-second button. I only use the 30-second scan/skip button on commercials, which I would rather not see at all, so the skip works better for me than the scan. When I want to scan through a program, I just use the FF button.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid71 View Post
That is ludicrous and unreasonable! I disagree!
I keeeed....I keeeed.

I thought I would like the skip better, but found that we actually see some stuff on scan, rewind and watch it. Who knew?
That is the same reason I like the scan better.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #22
caughey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
to do this: Press Select while in Live TV to bring up the mini guide (or guide if you use the grid guide). Then select the channel name (push left). Press select again and you'll get a menu with three options: Watch Channel, Delete Channel from your Line Up, and something else I can't recall of the top of my head.
Hey, that's awesome! I prefer the Live Guide to the grid guide, but have been switching to the grid guide when it's time to clean house. I've only "used" the mini-guide before when I push the wrong button (or catch a falling remote) so I didn't know you could delete channels from there too. I'll be deleting even more channels now.
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #23
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo thecat View Post
Thank you so much, guys!!! I LOVE the Tivo system so far. My only complaint is that I can't find answers to questions such as these. There should be a user tutorial or help menu that explains these features. Its a little overwhelming right now, but over time and with help from friendly people here, I'm sure I'll get it all figured out.
It's been a few years since my last new tivo, so I'm not sure if this is still done, but my recollection is that over the first week or so you'll start to see a few short tutorial videos covering different aspects of the system pop up in your Now Playing list. I think the first one doesn't appear for the first few days.

Also, regarding Suggestions, you can train tivo so it records better suggestions by giving shows thumbs ups or thumbs downs (up to three).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #24
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
Yeah there are lots of great shortcuts.

Tivo then:

0 - TiVo Cartoon (the one that plays when you first boot).
Man, I wish I never showed my kids this one.

LOL
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #25
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo thecat View Post
Thank you so much, guys!!! I LOVE the Tivo system so far.

My only complaint is that I can't find answers to questions such as these. There should be a user tutorial or help menu that explains these features. Its a little overwhelming right now, but over time and with help from friendly people here, I'm sure I'll get it all figured out.
If you read the !@$# manual, it's covered in there!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #26
vurbano

Quote:
I guess it depends on how you intend to use the 30-second button. I only use the 30-second scan/skip button on commercials, which I would rather not see at all, so the skip works better for me than the scan. When I want to scan through a program, I just use the FF button.
ditto
Old 04-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #27
bbrown9

Quote:
I think it's the worst feature. I'm really glad I can turn it off. I don't like having it record things that I didn't tell it to record. I have plenty of content without having stuff I'll never watch stored on my disk. Yeah, I know it will get deleted first if space becomes an issue, but why put it there in the first place?
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #28
jrtroo
User

Because it may be something you or other folks in teh household will enjoy. Otherwise, IMO, its wasted space on the drive that could have something for you. Instead of surfing live tv, surf suggestions that were recorded based upon your feedback.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #29
Sportsnut

I'm a first time owner for a couple weeks now and noticed the suggestions after a couple of days. I recorded the news the first night I had it set up. The next few days it recorded every local news show that was on those days. It recorded other shows based on other shows I recorded. However, it didn't decrease the available space on the hard drive. I guess it does that because it will delete the suggestions as soon as space is needed but it is actually recording the suggestions on the hard drive and temporarily taking up more space isn't it?

By the way, as the OP stated the Roamio didn't come with an owner's manual, not even a cd version. I know the trend is to not include hard copy owner's manuals anymore with most electronics but with something like a Tivo it should be included. It only came with a basic setup guide. I had to search the website the first night to figure out how to get to the "Menu" since I've never seen a remote control without a Menu button before. I got the answer very quickly thanks to an instant chat session with Tivo but an owner's manual would have answered that. Other than that I'm very happy so far with my new Roamio.
Sportsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #30
jrtroo
User

Suggestions take no space as they are meant to not impact your assigned TO DO items. You can easily move something of interested into the My Shows list if you want to view it later.