TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #31
Jayjoans

We chuckled at the editing and commentary during the reward challenge. As they show Morgan running (we all know what that means) after the balance beam, Jeff's commentary is something like "now everybody get to the chest!".

Jayjoans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #32
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I kind of agree. I like watching Tony play, and I thought he was playing a smart game until he played his idol for no reason. Still, he is a bit devious and I think he has a plan. But I don't necessarily want him to win.
It wasn't Tony that played his idol for no reason, it was LJ. Tony's move was actually pretty smart. He heard the other alliance all say they were shifting their vote to the "other one" and he assumed that was LJ. He knew they were no longer voting for him, but he used the Idol to protect his alliance by playing it for who he thought the "other one" was.

It was LJ who made the boneheaded move of then revealing his idol and playing it for Tony, when it should have been clear that the other alliance wasn't voting for Tony.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #33
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Tony thinks before he speaks. He has lied to everyone and they all know it. I give Tony zero chance of winning.
He's the alpha male of the now dominant post merge alliance. Guys in that position typically make it into the final three. There's still time for him to make mistakes but it wouldn't be difficult for him to get there. There's frequently talk about a coup and taking out the player in that position but in past seasons that's been more talk than something that actually occurred.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #34
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
He's the alpha male of the now dominant post merge alliance. Guys in that position typically make it into the final three. There's still time for him to make mistakes but it wouldn't be difficult for him to get there. There's frequently talk about a coup and taking out the player in that position but in past seasons that's been more talk than something that actually occurred.
I will bet you a fake $1,000,000 he doesn't make the final 3

heck, I'll give you odds!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #35
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
There's been plenty of players who have "lied" and have won. I don't rule out Tony's chances at all. It's, as always, dependent upon who he's in the final three with. If he's with Spencer, I don't think he wins. With Kass or someone else? Why not?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #36
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
It wasn't Tony that played his idol for no reason, it was LJ. Tony's move was actually pretty smart. He heard the other alliance all say they were shifting their vote to the "other one" and he assumed that was LJ. He knew they were no longer voting for him, but he used the Idol to protect his alliance by playing it for who he thought the "other one" was.

It was LJ who made the boneheaded move of then revealing his idol and playing it for Tony, when it should have been clear that the other alliance wasn't voting for Tony.
Totally agree.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #37
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I will bet you a fake $1,000,000 he doesn't make the final 3

heck, I'll give you odds!
Based on the amount of camera time he's getting, I think it's at least 50/50 he makes it.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:21 PM   #38
Honora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
There's been plenty of players who have "lied" and have won. I don't rule out Tony's chances at all. It's, as always, dependent upon who he's in the final three with. If he's with Spencer, I don't think he wins. With Kass or someone else? Why not?
But is it going to be a Final 3? To keep the jury with an odd number, it will have to be a Final 2 this year.

They started putting people on the jury when they had 11 players. Maybe it's not what they intended after losing two players in one day, but that's what they got.

Fans have been complaining about the stupidity of the Final 3 for years. Maybe this year we get our wish.
Honora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #39
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honora View Post
But is it going to be a Final 3? To keep the jury with an odd number, it will have to be a Final 2 this year.

They started putting people on the jury when they had 11 players. Maybe it's not what they intended after losing two players in one day, but that's what they got.

Fans have been complaining about the stupidity of the Final 3 for years. Maybe this year we get our wish.
It's been a long time since they had just two finalists. And the last few seasons they've had an even number of jury members. They've never had a close vote spread among the three finalists. Even with three finalists, they've never had a winner that didn't get a majority of the jury votes, even though it would be possible to win without a majority (4-3-2 or 4-2-2 for example).

I'm not sure it's accurate to say "Fans have been complaining about the stupidity of the Final 3 for years." While I'm sure it's true that some have, I don't think that necessarily means it's the majority opinion.

Code:
Season				Total	No. on	No. in	Final
No.	Season Name		Players	Jury	Final	Vote	Winner
1	Borneo			16	7	2	4-3	Richard Hatch
2	Australia		16	7	2	4-3	Tina Wesson
3	Africa			16	7	2	5-2	Ethan Zohn
4	Marquesas		16	7	2	4-3	Vecepia Towery
5	Thailand		16	7	2	4-3	Brian Heidik
6	Amazon			16	7	2	6-1	Jenna Morasca
7	Pearl Islands		16	7	2	6-1	Sandra Diaz-Twine
8	All-Stars		18	7	2	4-3	Amber Brkich
9	Vanuatu			18	7	2	5-2	Chris Daugherty
10	Palau			20	7	2	6-1	Tom Westman
11	Guatemala		18	7	2	6-1	Danni Boatwright
12	Panama			16	7	2	5-2	Aras Baskauskas
13	Cook Islands		20	9	3	5-4-0	Yul Kwon
14	Fiji			19	9	3	9-0-0	Earl Cole
15	China			16	7	3	4-2-1	Todd Herzog
16	Micronesia		20	8	2	5-3	Parvati Shallow
17	Gabon			18	7	3	4-3-0	Bob Crowley
18	Tocantins		16	7	2	7-0	J.T. Thomas
19	Samoa			20	9	3	7-2-0	Natalie White
20	Heroes v. Villains	20	9	3	6-3-0	Sandra Diaz-Twine
21	Nicaragua		20	9	3	5-4-0	Fabio Birza
22	Redemption Island	18	9	3	8-1-0	Rob Mariano
23	South Pacific		18	9	3	6-3-0	Sophie Clarke
24	One World		18	9	3	7-2-0	Kim Spradlin
25	Philippines		18	8	3	6-1-1	Denise Stapley
26	Caramoan		20	8	3	8-0-0	John Cochran
27	Blood v. Water		20	8	3	7-1-0	Tyson Apostol
28	Cagayan			18	?	?	?	?

Last edited by DevdogAZ : 04-10-2014 at 02:59 PM.
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:58 AM   #40
hairyblue
A good Man

I thought the mad dash to find the Idol by everyone was exciting. I'm happy that Spencer found it.

I too thought he found the special idol. And I also thought the special idol let you play it after the votes were read. If that was so, then he could have gotten out Tony with it last night.

It looks like Tony is now freaked that he saw his name written down. It may be his down fall.

Own 2 Tivo Premieres. OTA
Fired DTV for expensive rates on Sept. 2012
hairyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #41
nyc13

That list sure shows how useless the third finalist is. That person has gotten one vote in each of two seasons and no votes all other seasons.
nyc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #42
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc13 View Post
That list sure shows how useless the third finalist is. That person has gotten one vote in each of two seasons and no votes all other seasons.
It makes the last episode more exciting because the votes are split between 2 more worthy candidates. In a final 2 scenario, they'd take the less deserving person and that person would get few votes and the winner is more obvious.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #43
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
The list makes me realize just how little I care about who really wins (except in a couple of cases) and how much I just enjoy the game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #44
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyblue View Post
It looks like Tony is now freaked that he saw his name written down. It may be his down fall.
I remember how Russell always freaked out if he even got 1 vote and totally blew his strategy going after that person. I can see Tony doing that.
stellie93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #45
Dnamertz

What are the rules about stealing clues or idols that other people have found? Apparently, Woo did not violate a rule by taking the clue that was in Spencers pants. So what if Woo had found the HII? Can another player just walk up and take it from him? Or if it's hidden in his stuff, can someone take it? Does possession of the HII only matter at the time of tribal counsel, and before that it's fair game?
Dnamertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #46
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I believe that you cannot steal an idol.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #47
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
... When Spencer found the HII and was able to put it down his pants without Kass noticing, why did he then walk away? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
... I know it's editing, but it seemed like once Spencer found that idol, the search was off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterMurph View Post
I was really hoping that Woo would find the idol; it would have been a better story line.

I assumed that Spencer did keep hunting for the idol, but that that got edited out. But then later, when everybody was sitting around camp doing nothing (i.e., "Morganing"), I thought, shouldn't somebody be looking for the idol?
There were some editing jumps during Spencer's idol walkabout.
1. When they returned from the Outback during a sudden downpour and Spencer slipped away from everybody and read the clue, he was just wearing his green shorts.
2. Woo was shown turning his head as his voiceover said that he noticed Spencer slipping away and starts to follow him, but the rain has now ceased.
3. Suddenly Spencer is wearing the khaki pants which he removes to place the clue in the fold (??) while his socks are stuffed in his shoes. Why not put the clue in the pants pocket, or into the shoes?
4. Then when Woo picks up the pants and discovers the clue, Spencer is wearing his shoes in order to give chase to the Stealthy Ninja! BTW, loved Woo's description of his own moves while following Spencer and then eluding him once he had the clue ... Stealthy Ninja and then running away like Sonic the Hedgehog ... LOL!

Quote:
... I like how when they are writing their votes, the only time the camera over the contestant's head is used is when Morgan was standing there. The Producers made sure we got to say goodbye to her cleavage!
Yeah, I noticed that as well. Everybody else had the straight-on camera, but Morgan had the down-blouse overhead cam. Thank you, Mark Burnett!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #48
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I believe that you cannot steal an idol.
I thought that has been done before. Like right out of the guys bag while he was off doing something else.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #49
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I've seen people dig in people's bags when they weren't around and find a HII, but I don't believe I've ever seen one stolen. I am almost certain that it is against the rules to steal an idol.

Now as for the clues, I think if you hide a clue in a folded pair of pants like Spencer did, that's fair game.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:11 PM   #50
Donbadabon
Geocacher

From wikipedia:

Quote:
The idol, once found by a player, cannot be stolen from them, but other castaways can look through their possessions to see if they have it. Sometimes a castaway who has an idol re-hides the idol in a location known only to them, to avoid the risk that others will find out they have it. The idol can be willingly transferred to another player at any point in the game, including at Tribal Council; in such cases, the castaway receiving the idol can play it to protect themselves

Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #51
LordKronos

I know the idol cannot be stolen, but I've always wondered what happens when the person rehides the idol. If someone stumbles across it, do the get to keep it?
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #52
stellie93

I would assume that if you can't steal it out of their stuff you can't steal it hidden somewhere else. But what if you're just digging around looking for an idol and you think you found it for the first time? If you then don't tell anyone and rehide it and play it later--would they tell you no? Or would the camera men or whoever following you around tell you it was off limits when you found it?
stellie93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #53
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I know you cannot steal an idol from someone's person or from their personal belongings, but I always assumed (not at all that I know this for a fact, though) that if someone found the idol and buried it somewhere to hide it from the others, that they run the risk of someone else finding it there. I always thought that a buried idol was also fair game.

Not sure what would happen in that case, but I have my doubts about any "but so-and-so found it first and hid it there, so you can't have it" type of rule. :shrug:
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #54
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I was under the same impression as Capt. Picard... if it's in your personal belongings then it can't be taken, BUT there's no rule against people searching your belongings and seeing that you have it.

On the other hand if you hide it or bury it somewhere else besides your personal stuff and someone else finds it, then they now own it. Kind of a "finders keepers" type of thing
Old 04-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #55
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Since it seems many people didn't read the EW Q&A with Probst that was posted earlier in the thread, here's what he said about stealing idols and going through people's stuff:

Quote:
EW: We know a player cannot steal someone elseís idol, but judging from what Woo did here, it seems swiping a clue is fair game, correct? And is there anything you love more than a mad hidden immunity idol scramble?

PROBST: Yes, you are correct. You may go through peopleís personal items if they are silly enough to leave them unattended. Itís not that we encourage it so much as there just isnít any way to stop it. As we always remind them, itís their game. Their rules. I think Woo was just playing around trying to annoy Spencer and had no idea there was a clue tucked inside those pants. As for the idol hunt, that is probably the craziest idol hunt weíve ever had. Every single person looking for the idol and shouting out information to each other and keeping tabs on each other. It was clearly a crazy situation. But whatís most impressive about that idol hunt is the camera coverage. Go back and watch it again. Our producers and camera crews were all over it, covering everybody from every angle and yet you never see another camera. Thatís just great on the fly producing.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #56
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Hmmm... OK... So it is okay to rummage through people's belongings... And they can take a clue, but they can't take an idol...

WTF? Where are these so called "rules" documented?

I thought there were only two rules in Survivor:

1 - You can't conspire to share the grand prize money
2 - You cannot do anyone physical harm

I thought that was it... But apparently there are more details, and they get pretty specific...
  • Game Consoles: PS3, XBox 360, Wii
MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #57
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post
Hmmm... OK... So it is okay to rummage through people's belongings... And they can take a clue, but they can't take an idol...

WTF? Where are these so called "rules" documented?

I thought there were only two rules in Survivor:

1 - You can't conspire to share the grand prize money
2 - You cannot do anyone physical harm

I thought that was it... But apparently there are more details, and they get pretty specific...
You can see the note that comes with the idol when Spencer found it. It's a full page of all the rules. You can read some of them on TV but the camera wasn't exactly pointed at it.

I'm sure those 2 rules are the basic overview of the rules and I'd guess they give contestants a full rulebook that they need to sign before they can be on the show. For instance, the contestants know about the tie-vote rock-picking rule.