TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Do you use Keep Until I Delete?
No, I do not use KUID. 49 20.33%
Yes, but only on one off recordings that I do not want to lose. 101 41.91%
Yes, I use KUID for one off recordings AND in my Season Passes and/or Wishlists. 91 37.76%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #31
MikeMar
Go Pats

We use KUID for any primetime/new show as we generally let a LOT of them accumulate and watch when the season is over. But stuff like Friends and BBT repeats obviously we don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #32
gweempose

I use KUID for every SP that I set up. It's an old habit that probably stems from my ReplayTV days. When I first switched to TiVo, I just didn't feel comfortable with the idea that something could be automatically deleted without my consent.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #33
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanTiVo View Post

I take it you don't have teenagers in the house.... my 2 week old Roamio Pro is at 92% and my 2TB S3 was always maxed out.....
This is precisely why I dedicated one of my TiVos to my kids.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #34
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Has the behavior changed so it no longer stops recording new shows when it fills up with KUID shows?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #35
aaronwt
HD Addict

If it fills up with KUID shows then it shouldn't be recording anything else. Since it can't delete anything to make room.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #36
waynomo
My One Time

Also prevents you from scheduling new recordings. (Or at least it used to.)
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #37
saronian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas View Post
...I'm just trying to understand why someone would do that. Your answer basically says, "Because I want to."...
For me, I got in the habit of enabling KUID for almost everything when first using my Roamio Basic (500GB), but eventually upgraded to 3TB. Now I'm trying to wean myself from the habit even though there is little possibility of filling the drive.

Even chose the new default to always KUID. I'm sure I'll switch it off once I have some time to reorient to the additional storage.
saronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #38
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Has the behavior changed so it no longer stops recording new shows when it fills up with KUID shows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If it fills up with KUID shows then it shouldn't be recording anything else. Since it can't delete anything to make room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Also prevents you from scheduling new recordings. (Or at least it used to.)
Actually the problems start when you are getting close to a full hard drive and/or when the shows schedule for the next 2 weeks will fill the hard drive up. I remember having issues with shows not recording because of a lack of room when I had deleted enough before it should have recorded a few years back before I upgraded my Premiere to a 2TB drive. Because of those issues I stopped using KUID and just move shows to my computers that I want to keep.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #39
midas
I heard that

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I use KUID for every SP that I set up. It's an old habit that probably stems from my ReplayTV days. When I first switched to TiVo, I just didn't feel comfortable with the idea that something could be automatically deleted without my consent.
But you were comfortable with new things not getting recorded because there was no space?

Yea, I guess I'm never going to understand.
midas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #40
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
... but I do manually change recording to KUID from time to time after they've been recorded. Usually to remind me I want to save them to my PC.
For people with Netgear boxes that have ReadyDLNA they can set those devices to copy anything marked KUID to the NAS. The user still has to check that those recordings got there and then manually delete the KUID shows, but at least it is a way to get the shows archived. The upside is that it can all be done from the TiVo UI.

(ReadyDLNA does HME, but disguises it so it looks like DLNA settings on the NAS)
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #41
dbenrosen

I manually set it after something is recorded that I don't want to lose, such as a movie or special event. I NEVER set my season passes this way, and never even set a recording this way. I only change it after the show has already been recorded.

But from the update thread, I think it should be an option on the default options pages and the initial default should be Save until space needed, which the user can change to KUID.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #42
Headford

Other than sports, KUID everything else

I use KUID on practically everything other than sports programs (after learning who won - hardly ever go back and watch the game I missed live). After watching an episode of a show (or after losing interest in watching), I manually delete at the end of the program (plus it's also easy from program list -- by hitting the clear button on remote -- to go through and delete a bunch of shows at one time).

All Season Passes KUID. Will occasionally not use KUID on a program that I want to just sample.

Use the TiVo Desktop software to offload older programs (most never to be seen again).

Every single one of the several cable system DVRs I have used in the past also contained the ability to flag programs (and the equivalent of season passes) as KUID.

Anyone who reads/posts on this board is probably far more sophisticated than most casual users and can manage the hard disk space capacity issues to their personal preferences.

Choice is a good thing.
Headford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #43
allan
I survived the Mayan

I never used KUID on SPs, but I often made existing recordings KUID, especially when my sig was still accurate. Sometimes I got warning messages that something else would be deleted early because of my KUID shows, so I had to decide which was more important to me.

My current DVR has much more storage than my early Tivos, or even the later ones, so I haven't felt the need to KUID anything yet.

BEEP
allan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #44
dukenilnil

Use KUID frequently (about 50%) but not by default. We go in TV watching ebbs and flows and sometimes run into space issues (and have not upgraded the HD to save costs). The newer episodes are easy to find on channel sites, Hulu, etc., so if those get dropped, we don't mind as much. The older ones are sometimes harder to find legitimately so we preserve those. We never know when a TV watching drought will occur so we preemptively use KUID if things start to fill 1/2 way up.
dukenilnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #45
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
I've never filled my hard drive. So effectively, everything is KUID...
Same here (except not "effectively" but "in reality")...I've NEVER approached filling my hard drive. And I don't have the humungous capacity HDs that others might have either....750 GB on my S3 and 2TB XL4. The only thing I don't use KUID for is sporting events (with the exception of Stanley Cup playoff finals).

XL4

Last edited by Bierboy : 04-08-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #46
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I use it but only because I like to keep a library of old sitcoms constantly recording. I keep 10 episodes of each at all times. I don't watch them often but I just want them to be there if I feel like turning on an old episode of Seinfeld. My "important" shows are all KUID while the "not important" content is shuffled out.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #47
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Same here (except not "effectively" but "in reality")...I've NEVER approached filling my hard drive. And I don't have the humungous capacity HDs that others might have either....750 GB on my S3 and 2TB XL4. The only thing I don't use KUID for is sporting events (with the exception of Stanley Cup playoff finals).
So why does it matter so much to you that KUID even exists, much less must be a default option?
Old 04-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #48
mattack

Not for absolutely everything, but I use it a fair amount. Since I know of the downsides to it (Tivo "pre-claiming" space so you get lots of alerts when you get close to full), I live on the edge and have many recordings NOT KUID.

I just download shows to a computer drive a lot instead of dealing with KUID. (Though I just finished up watching the first season of The Americans on Amazon Prime [via PS3, sigh], and nuked my downloaded versions.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #49
lpwcomp

Like a couple of others here, I use KUID on my stuff. For reasons beyond my control, my 1TB THD is pretty full and moving stuff permanently to another TiVo is not a good option.

As far as the tradeoff between not recording something and losing something you had not yet watched - I have multiple TiVos and it is far easier to monitor the situation and make other recording arrangements than it is to re-acquire something that got deleted, especially if you really want the closed captions to be there.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #50
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
So why does it matter so much to you that KUID even exists, much less must be a default option?
Because I like the pretty green balls and not the ugly yellow ones with !s...

But seriously....my hard drive on the Premiere is getting filled tho still not near capacity. And the list of shows is quite long so I don't want to forget to save any should the time come when it does approach full.

XL4
Old 04-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #51
innocentfreak

Yes but very rarely usually for one off specials. I have FiOS so mostly everything is copy freely so I archive a show if I really want to save it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #52
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas View Post
Sure there is. You have to take extra steps to enable it every time.
Which wouldn't be a problem if TiVo had "set KUID" on its Recording Defaults screen.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #53
TEG

I used KUID for series that I don't watch regularly, like "Elementary" or "Cooks Country", and I power load them on my days off, when the weather's bad. Most of my other shows I watch either the same night they air, or the day after, so it isn't a big deal.

Then again, things like the Seahawks victory parade, are KUID until I can transfer them to my computer, and keep them permanently.
TEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #54
rad1701

I use KUID for everything. I like to be the one to decide to delete something or not. I've had a few shows/movies on my TIVO for years. I see no reason to remove TIVO features. The more control the better - in my opinion.
rad1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #55
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Well, it's clear (so far, according this poll) that the majority DO use KUID...contrary to many of the naysayers floating around these fora...

XL4
Old 04-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #56
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Well, it's clear (so far, according this poll) that the majority DO use KUID...contrary to many of the naysayers floating around these fora...
The majority of people here.

Who are a very small minority of TiVo users, and I suspect not at all representative.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #57
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:

Who are a very small minority of TiVo users, and I suspect not at all representative.
And that's exactly what I said, Rob..."according to this poll"....I agree it's FAR from representative of all TiVo users.

XL4
Old 04-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #58
morac
Cat God

Quote:
And that's exactly what I said, Rob..."according to this poll"....I agree it's FAR from representative of all TiVo users.
Also the poll isn't specific. There's no differentiating between occasional use of KUID and using it all the time. I say I mark less than one 1% of my recordings as KUID, but that's enough to say I use it on the poll.

Also the poll doesn't differentiate between scheduled recordings and programs that have already been recorded.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #59
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:

That's right. We're all smarter and better looking.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #60
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
That's right. We're all smarter and better looking.
Here at Lake TiVoBegone.