TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Have you attempted to use out of home streaming and succeeded?
Yes, it works fantastic, this poster is full of crap. 27 67.50%
Yes, I tried but it wouldn't work, Tivo marketing is full of crap. 6 15.00%
No, I haven't tried. I'm sure someday Apple could do it if Tivo can't. 4 10.00%
No, I don't care about this. 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 04-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #151
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

and the hotel wifi not horrendous, certainly better than many I have encountered,

ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #152
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

and my home internet

Old 04-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #153
Austin Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post
Every out of the home steaming device I have from Slingbox,Audiotap ,Vulkano,VNC works just fine except the TIvo ooh.

Ive done plenty of troubleshooting and I know it's not my network

I have 110/22 mbps speeds at my house as well .The private ooh network I use has 20/5 . I still cannot get even close to the video quality
of this guy's hotel wifi.

Hardwired Roamio so its not a wifi issue.
I also stated that it could be your ISP or every stop along the way on the internet. I have seen cases where multiple applications all work fine and one does not because of the ports/settings that it relies on where the others do not. Don't rule out your network unless you are sure that all of those devices are using the same transport parameters, the same security settings and the same ports.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #154
Dan203
Super Moderator

I've been watching quite a few things and for me it's aboutt he same as my old Slingbox. Now to be fair my Slingbox was an older one that was SD only, maybe they've gitten better with the newer HD ones. But for me the picture is fine for my tiny little iPad screen given that my upload speed at home is only 3-4Mbps. Also I ran a speed test and even though the hotel login page says it's capped at 1Mbps it's actually getting about 30Mbps. So I think the only reason I'm not getting full HD is because of my upload limitations on my home network side. But even though I'm only getting 5 out of 7 bars in the TiVo app it looks fine to me. It's obviously not full resolution HD, but it's more then watchable.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #155
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I've been watching quite a few things and for me it's aboutt he same as my old Slingbox. Now to be fair my Slingbox was an older one that was SD only, maybe they've gitten better with the newer HD ones. But for me the picture is fine for my tiny little iPad screen given that my upload speed at home is only 3-4Mbps. Also I ran a speed test and even though the hotel login page says it's capped at 1Mbps it's actually getting about 30Mbps. So I think the only reason I'm not getting full HD is because of my upload limitations on my home network side. But even though I'm only getting 5 out of 7 bars in the TiVo app it looks fine to me. It's obviously not full resolution HD, but it's more then watchable.
Yeah the Tivo is Sd quality or worse . The new
Sling boxes have HD quality . I had an older Slingbox and all it did was buffer , poor pic,
My 350 is amazing .
jimmypowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #156
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
I also stated that it could be your ISP or every stop along the way on the internet. I have seen cases where multiple applications all work fine and one does not because of the ports/settings that it relies on where the others do not. Don't rule out your network unless you are sure that all of those devices are using the same transport parameters, the same security settings and the same ports.
Agreed, a while back I spent months troubleshooting a customer who claimed the website we were developing was slow, they insisted it was our fault, even though the customer was the only one screaming about it.

We ended up sending a network engineer out there, turns out it was a their ISP fiddling with the TCP window sizes and retries as a way to limit the bandwidth the customer was using. Once the issue was escalated to the ISP and customer actually started getting what they were paying for the problem went away.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #157
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post
Yeah the Tivo is Sd quality or worse . The new
Sling boxes have HD quality . I had an older Slingbox and all it did was buffer , poor pic,
My 350 is amazing .
I downloaded one show, at Best, to compare. It was clearer, but not by a lot especially when sitting the iPad on my knees and watching from 1-2' away. The Stream was plenty watchable to me.

I never really had a problem with the SlingBox quality either. My biggest complaint about it was the control lag and the fact that they charged $30 for the app and you needed a different version, at $30/ea for every type of device.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #158
moyekj

Yes the lag with Slingbox is VERY annoying, especially when trying skip commercials.
If you use a PC/laptop the Sling web client is free (and you can even using a hack to use web browser on Linux box as a client). The iOS/Android Sling clients are now $15.

One can workaround the Sling lag problem by recording Sling output and then playing that back after waiting a while, but it's inconvenient to have to use web client to start playback of a show you want to watch, then switch over to kmttg and start a recording of the Sling output, then wait a while before you can start watching. The Stream is a lot more convenient OOH even though the picture quality can be pretty bad at times.

With Sling web client recently I keep getting audio/video sync issues after a while for which I have to use trick play every few minutes to correct which is very annoying. The Stream has also been annoying lately freezing in last 2 minutes of show and not playing beyond that so that I end up missing the end of the show and having to use Sling to finish watching.

So to me I'm not really that happy with either Stream or Sling solutions, but it's good to have option to switch between them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #159
jimmypowder

Quote:
I downloaded one show, at Best, to compare. It was clearer, but not by a lot especially when sitting the iPad on my knees and watching from 1-2' away. The Stream was plenty watchable to me.

I never really had a problem with the SlingBox quality either. My biggest complaint about it was the control lag and the fact that they charged $30 for the app and you needed a different version, at $30/ea for every type of device.
This would be my only complaint with my Slingbox 350 .The controls are slow,
delayed.

I really cant figure out why my Tivo ooh streaming looks so bad when my current speedtest in my house in 170/23 mbps.

The Slingbox is definitely streaming in HD.Tivo looks like SD at best.
jimmypowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #160
Gromit

I've had my Stream for a couple of weeks now. In home streaming is great. So far, out of home streaming sucks.

Maybe it's the hotel wifi, but it freezes and when it's not freezing, it looks pretty bad.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:16 AM   #161
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
Maybe it's the hotel wifi, but it freezes and when it's not freezing, it looks pretty bad.
Use downloads instead of streaming. (Start a download, wait 20 minutes or so, then start watching).

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #162
Gromit

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Use downloads instead of streaming. (Start a download, wait 20 minutes or so, then start watching).
Yeah, I discovered that the other night.

I'm pretty sure the hotel wifi is inconsistent. This morning streaming was very watchable.

Last edited by Gromit : 05-03-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #163
Dan203
Super Moderator

I just discovered that my cable company only sets the CCI byte on Sho and HBO, and on HBO they only set it on the West Coast feed. The East coast one is free. Also most/all of the secondary channels for both HBO and Sho are unprotected. So I can record from them and download/stream anything to my iPad or PC.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #164
wco81

So are there any workarounds for streaming protected content out of the home?

I guess I could just use HBO Go but if you travel overseas, then it won't, without workarounds there too.

Can you stream over the Internet to Desktop Tivo clients? Or using pyTivo or kttmg?

Only other thing I can think of would be placeshifting hardware like Sling.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #165
wco81

Quote:
I just discovered that my cable company only sets the CCI byte on Sho and HBO, and on HBO they only set it on the West Coast feed. The East coast one is free. Also most/all of the secondary channels for both HBO and Sho are unprotected. So I can record from them and download/stream anything to my iPad or PC.
Your cable system has multiple HBO channels in HD?

Not all system does ...
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote