TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
mnguyen

Trouble with THR22 and ONDEMAND

Hoping to find help here at the Tivo Forums..

Hi all, I am a long time Directv subscriber and Tivo fan. I've had this THR22 about a year now and before that used a RCA-80 Tivo receiver. However, it seems that since upgrading to the THR22 I've NEVER been able to download On-Demand content. I spent about 3 weeks elapsed time (5 calls) last year with Directv trying to get it to work. No luck. I recently spent about 3 calls and 5 hours trying solve the issue again. They had me do all the "standard" stuff with and without the tech.
1) restart the receiver
2) unplug the receiver
3) check all the network connections

In all cases, the receiver reported that the internet connection was good with no issue connecting to the DVR service. However, all the selected movies get stuck in the "Preparing" state and sit there indefinitely.

I am getting very frustrated with this. From everything I can tell THR22 SHOULD be able to download the ON DEMAND material. All my other devices connect just fine. The receiver gets it's IP address via DHCP with the DNS and Gateway information correctly from my repeater.

Here's my setup:

Comcast Router connected to my Linksys E4300 which transmits over Wireless-N to my TP-Link Wireless router (setup as a bridged repeater) which connects via ethernet to the receiver. Connecting to the same TP-Link router are my Blu-Ray player and wireless devices. None of the other devices have issues, just the Tivo unit.

In another room I have a similar setup for my HR22 unit which has no issues with the ON-DEMAND downloading.

After digging around the forums here I came across something that may be causing the issue although I don't understand why it may be the case. Both of my tuners for the receiver are connected by a B-Band converter. I was told specifically that this was required for the receiver to work when it was first installed. I'm beginning to wonder if I actually need the DECA module in place of the B-Band converter.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this problem. If I need to repost it elsewhere please let me know.

I can add more details if needed, I tried to make this short and concise.

Thanks in advance.
Mike
mnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Mike,

This is the right forum.

Unfortunately, there has always been a problem with the THR22 and OnDemand as is well documented on this forum. There is no workaround. Some boxes seem to work fine while others have the issues you're talking about.

One recommendation is to give your box a static IP address, This has worked for many people (including me) who have had issues with the Genie and Whole-Home connections. Choose an IP that is outside of your DHCP range to avoid conflicts that can and do happen after a reboot.

Other than that, I've got nothing. I lived with the THR22 for two and a half years before finally giving up and getting a Genie.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The DECA and B-Band Converter serve different purposes. The BBC is required if you don't have a SWM (single wire multiswitch) setup. The DECA is the gateway between your home network and the DVR. As TonyTheTiger says, the THR22 and OnDemand have never worked right.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
Sheffield Steve

Is it possible to get a long network cable and temporarily see if that will work?

I say that because I never did get it to work over wireless (same issues you have), it seems very sensitive to lost network packets.

I eventually switched to a powerline Ethernet system and mine works fine now. Although the quality of on-demand is not the best. (Picture is sized differently to sat feed, etc)
Sheffield Steve is offline   Reply With Quote