TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #151
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffr View Post
My Tivo Series 4 now has now audio thru HDMI. I have restarted it numerous times. Please help
Try switching the audio format (DD to PCM or vice versa) and see if it reappears.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #152
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbb View Post
On a positive note, after 2 days following the update, my Android phone now connects to the Roamio using the local network. Previously it would only connect if I signed in (with the usual limited features).
I'm having this problem. I have a Roamio Pro and a Premiere, both on the updated software. When I connect to the Roamio Pro on my LAN, it says I'm away from home. It won't connect locally. I can connect locally to my Premiere and set up the stream device that's part of the Roamio Pro (meaning it connects locally), but I can connect directly to the Roamio Pro itself using the iOS app.

Edit:

I restarted the Roamio Pro, but that didn't do anything. I had to sign out of the iOS app and sign back in to get it to work. I had to do that on both my iPad and iPhone.

Last edited by morac : 04-06-2014 at 04:05 PM.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #153
innocentfreak

Anyone else experiencing small glitches during MRV? I am watching a show from the buffer and the video is glitching. I get various pixelation and other video glitches. It only started happening when the transfer started.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #154
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
I've noticed a small set of glitches with this build when transitioning from HD to SD screens. Drilling into the top-level Settings menu screen results in some weird video output ("stacks" of vertical white dots). Not a big deal. Also, perhaps related and more important, the dreaded loud burst-of-static audio also gets triggered here... which definitely needs to be fixed IMO.

The video glitch happens every time; the audio glitch is a bit more random... though I've already heard it twice since upgrading this evening.
Haven't seen either one of these issues. What model TiVo do you have and how is it connected to the TV? I have a base Roamio directly connected to TV via HDMI.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #155
JosephB

I'm getting blank screens when I go from video to a menu, or from one menu to the next.

also, I appeared to have some tuning adapter problems but then the tuning adapter on my TiVo HD started acting up so I guess Charter did something on the same weekend TiVo released a Roamio update. I would have that luck...

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #156
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Anyone else experiencing small glitches during MRV? I am watching a show from the buffer and the video is glitching. I get various pixelation and other video glitches. It only started happening when the transfer started.
Yes, this release gives too much priority to transfers to the unit, to the point that it makes my Roamio Pro very sluggish and at times can cause video playback to miss frames. I've mentioned it in kmttg & pyTivo threads.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #157
xbr23

getting black screens while in the Tivo menu in Settings. hit the back button and it goes back to the previous screen. black screens stay black, only way to exit is via the back button.

Tivo Roamio Pro.

Last edited by xbr23 : 04-06-2014 at 07:02 PM.
xbr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #158
spaldingclan

I'm getting sound problems with the Tivo sounds...sometimes they work and sometimes they don't
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #159
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaldingclan View Post
I'm getting sound problems with the Tivo sounds...sometimes they work and sometimes they don't
Is your sound set to dolby digital? If so, you will not get audio affects while watching content. Only in the menus themselves. TiVo can't insert audio effects into a dolby digital stream.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #160
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAaronT View Post
If I turn off Overlap protection, will it still record both shows if enough tuners are available?
Yes. Overlap protection really has nothing to do with this as it effects all recording, even if the shows are are on different channels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAaronT View Post
I hate this behavior, I'd prefer the stutter when the first recording ended.
If the minor a/v glitch were the only problem, the mod might have been kept in place but the scheduler problems make that unacceptable.

As far as making it a user selectable option, it's entirely possible that it would be easier to actually fix it than do that. I'm starting to think that there might be a lot of "spaghetti code" in TiVo's s/w.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:42 AM   #161
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I'm starting to think that there might be a lot of "spaghetti code" in TiVo's s/w.
Care to share what "spaghetti code" means with the rest of the class? A link to a good page on it would be appreciated, if it's not quick and easy to explain to the non-coders here.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:00 AM   #162
KevinG

Two issues to report, but I think they've been heard already. Just wanted to add my details.

My pro (which was updated) has been rebooted only once (on it's own to do the update). Minis in the house have been updated, and rebooted multiple times now. The minis continue to "lose connection to the Roamio". Sometimes while watching a recorded show from the Roamio, sometimes it can't get anything from the Roamio (so you can't even see your recorded shows). This is a big PITA, since my whole household revolves around one Pro, and a bunch of minis...

Second. Certainly not as big a deal. But the Pro seems to mute audio any time it wants to pop up a banner. For example. Game of Thrones which was recording, and Silicon Valley which was set to record. While watching live, Game of Thrones ended, and the Roamio popped up a banner to show that it was starting to record Silicon Valley. It did this twice (for some reason), and both times the audio was muted while the banner was on the screen. I don't recall ever noticing this in previous releases.

-Kevin
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #163
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Care to share what "spaghetti code" means with the rest of the class? A link to a good page on it would be appreciated, if it's not quick and easy to explain to the non-coders here.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=spaghetti+code
Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #164
JohnS-MI

Quote:
Hard to find a "good" page on it as it is a "bad" thing. It is tangled, poorly structured code that is hard to read, understand, debug. Attempts to update, improve, or fix it can be nightmarish. 'Nuff said?

Early computer languages lacked the features to support well-structured code, and memory was expensive enough that tricks to save a few bytes were highly valued, so most code was spaghetti code. Now it is a very "your baby's ugly" thing to say to a software guy.
JohnS-MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #165
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post
Hard to find a "good" page on it as it is a "bad" thing. It is tangled, poorly structured code that is hard to read, understand, debug. Attempts to update, improve, or fix it can be nightmarish. 'Nuff said?
IMNSHO, it was mostly the result of multiple mods to code that should have, at some point, been totally rewritten - but who had the time for that?

Quote:
Early computer languages lacked the features to support well-structured code, and memory was expensive enough that tricks to save a few bytes were highly valued, so most code was spaghetti code.
I disagree. Even in assembly language, it was possible to write fairly well structured code.

Quote:
Now it is a very "your baby's ugly" thing to say to a software guy.
Even the best programmers can only do so much if the design/development/testing process is flawed.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #166
JohnS-MI

Quote:

Even the best programmers can only do so much if the design/development/testing process is flawed.
Testing? Do you mean inviting customers to sign up to receive new release on a priority basis?

I would agree the programmer can only do so much. "Well-structured" really starts at the requirements capture and system design level.

Sure, good code can go bad from too many patches, but there was also a lot of code that was bad from the first GOTO.
JohnS-MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #167
morac
Cat God

Quote:
I would agree the programmer can only do so much. "Well-structured" really starts at the requirements capture and system design level.

Sure, good code can go bad from too many patches, but there was also a lot of code that was bad from the first GOTO.
It really depends on how well the code was written originally and who worked on it since.

I've seen code that was just bad from the start, but I've also seen code that was pretty good to start with until it was assigned to a poor coder after which it was a mess.

Then there's the case where the code might be great, but isn't documented at all (to save time). It doesn't matter how good a coder you are in that case, if you have deadlines to meet and have to simultaneously figure out what the code is doing and update it, mistakes will be made. Especially if the original coder has long since left the company.

I don't know which of those TiVo falls under.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #168
anthonymoody

My mini lost its connection to the Plus after the update. I had to do the same procedure to get it back as I did the very first time I hooked it up:

1) remove Ethernet switch between Ethernet wall jack and mini, connecting mini directly to wall jack
2) restart mini, connection to Plus now successful
3) re-insert switch into the chain, connection holds

Not sure why but my switch interferes with the initial connection bt the mini and plus, but once connected, not subsequent connections.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #169
spaldingclan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Is your sound set to dolby digital? If so, you will not get audio affects while watching content. Only in the menus themselves. TiVo can't insert audio effects into a dolby digital stream.
that's what I mean...the Tivo sounds cut out in the menu's. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #170
worachj

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaldingclan View Post
Same here, on both my updated Roamio and Premiere.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #171
jackief

I think (fingers crossed) my problem with my mini might be fixed. I was having problems with video out via component breakout cable to my slingbox concurrently with the hdmi output to my tv. Someone in the mini forum suggested rebooting the slingbox. I did that and it didn't work, so then I rebooted mini yet again, and it seems to be working now. I want my kids to try it on their browsers to confirm, they are the ones who actually use it.

Here's my explanation of spaghetti code. Think of "good" code as following a straight line between step 1, step 2, etc. Another function will have its own line for the steps it performs. Now picture a bowl of spaghetti with all the "lines" all mixed up following no order, overlapping, etc. That's what can happen in some programs, in various ways as explained above
jackief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #172
lpwcomp

I really wish people would stop pointing at the DirecTV DVR and saying that it has been doing single tuner for overlapping recordings on the same channel from day one. It's one thing to design a system from the start to do something. It's quite another to add that functionality to an existing system.

Here's what I think might have happened. Some shining example of the "Peter Principle" in action noticed that the DirecTV DVR could do it, decided that a TiVo should to be able to do it, and either wasn't informed of or ignored the flaw in this thinking. Some developer figured out a way to kludge the system to add it and neither he nor the testers (assuming any real testing was done) considered the scheduling end cases. And yes, I'm ignoring the (IMHO minor) a/v glitch problem.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #173
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Well, excuse me, "cat god", for asking for lwpcomp's own explanation/perspective of how he felt the term applied with TiVo, not just a snarky "how hard is it to google?" script. Although, my last thought was that somebody would do exactly what you did.

I was putting my already 140+ open tab browsing session into hibernate, while I "hibernated" for some sleep, and thought it might benefit everybody to know things from his perspective, not just a generic google search, which can often yield results so generic, or so far away from what a person meant when they used an unfamiliar term.

The very reason I have enough tabs open to consume all my available resources (and crash my laptop 3x/day) is due to the number of google search result and wikipedia search result tabs I have open to do my own search-and-learn work, on anything I'm not familiar with on multiple fronts, very little of which is TiVo-related, at this time. I'm spinning a lot of plates learning how to make proper Win7 and Win8 deployment images, and get them where they need to go.

Once again, here I am going off-topic, and creating clutter, explaining myself, while doing my best not to take a slap in the face personally.

I did say "for the rest of the class", to try and keep it short, and now fully expect the usual fallout I tend to get when I switch from "quick and to the point" mode to "explaining myself to those looking down their noses at me" mode...
Old 04-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #174
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I really wish people would stop pointing at the DirecTV DVR and saying that it has been doing single tuner for overlapping recordings on the same channel from day one. It's one thing to design a system from the start to do something. It's quite another to add that functionality to an existing system.

Here's what I think might have happened. Some shining example of the "Peter Principle" in action noticed that the DirecTV DVR could do it, decided that a TiVo should to be able to do it, and either wasn't informed of or ignored the flaw in this thinking. Some developer figured out a way to kludge the system to add it and neither he nor the testers (assuming any real testing was done) considered the scheduling end cases. And yes, I'm ignoring the (IMHO minor) a/v glitch problem.
Thank you for taking the time to explain, which you did in the way I was hoping for/looking for.

I agree with your perspective, and it's also nice to see I'm not alone in feeling the momentary A/V glitch on same-tuner overlaps, is minor (IMHO). That's only one side of a coin, though, as has been repeatedly stated by others.

I've been doing my best to just accept the "other side of that coin" being a big enough issue that it had merit for TiVo to pull the function, yet again, even though I don't pad anything enough to be affected by the "scheduling" issue with padding enough to overlap a whole guide entry, or multiple ones, which (apparently) can result in missed/skipped recordings.

I'm not downplaying that side of it. If I was affected by it, I'm sure I'd feel as strongly about it as those who are. It's yet another "how you use your TiVo", than the easier to discuss "something that equally impacts everybody" issue.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #175
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Update on my pre-update video-output issue, opting-out of Spring Update priority

I have requested my TSNs be removed from the priority queue, and instead be placed at the end of the general public rollout, while requesting log monitoring continue.

I've reduced the impact of a larger (for me) HDMI/video scaling-related issue, by changing my fixed output to 1080i, instead of 1080p.

That's stopped my TVs/TiVos from blanking the picture/audio at random intervals and making a loud double pop, as well as the bursts of audio and video "static" which would sometimes happen instead. What I now see are random occurrences of extremely mild macroblocking of maybe 3-5 "blocks". My best guess is these same occurrences were tripping up the 720p/1080i upscaling to 1080p, when using the TiVo to do it. That's backed up with how any other device placed on the very same cable/input to the TVs can do full 1080p/60 and 1080p/24, without a single hiccup.

Based on the way I use my TiVos, have things set up, and what I do and don't do with them, I feel like I'd rather skip this "Spring Update", and just wait for the "Summer Update". It just seems like any update that has caused video-out issues, especially HDMI-specific, as reported by others, would be no-steps-forward, and three-steps-back, for me. I can live with the current state of things, and the same-tuner overlap handling. I understand there are those that can't, and respect that.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 04-07-2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Added title
Old 04-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #176
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
...Offering a KUID option by default for all SPs and WLs would result in frustrated and confused novice users...
As I posted above, TiVo should AT LEAST offer KUID as ONE recording option, just NOT the default. Let the user choose...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #177
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
As I posted above, TiVo should AT LEAST offer KUID as ONE recording option, just NOT the default. Let the user choose...
Maybe if it only applies to single recordings. Season Pass recordings shouldn't even be allowed to use KUID (unless they add a secret backdoor for power users) because it is just a support nightmare when the TiVo does not record a users programs because they aren't clear how that option works.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #178
leiff

concurrent comcast on-demand viewing from host TiVo box and Minni is a very welcome addition. Also I was getting random SRM -8 error messages frequently before update accessing Comcast on demand. No more now. update probably fixed this or it may have been a ethernet switch i swapped out at the same time i got update.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #179
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I have requested my TSNs be removed from the priority queue, and instead be placed at the end of the general public rollout, while requesting log monitoring continue.

I've reduced the impact of a larger (for me) HDMI/video scaling-related issue, by changing my fixed output to 1080i, instead of 1080p.

That's stopped my TVs/TiVos from blanking the picture/audio at random intervals and making a loud double pop, as well as the bursts of audio and video "static" which would sometimes happen instead. What I now see are random occurrences of extremely mild macroblocking of maybe 3-5 "blocks". My best guess is these same occurrences were tripping up the 720p/1080i upscaling to 1080p, when using the TiVo to do it. That's backed up with how any other device placed on the very same cable/input to the TVs can do full 1080p/60 and 1080p/24, without a single hiccup.

Based on the way I use my TiVos, have things set up, and what I do and don't do with them, I feel like I'd rather skip this "Spring Update", and just wait for the "Summer Update". It just seems like any update that has caused video-out issues, especially HDMI-specific, as reported by others, would be no-steps-forward, and three-steps-back, for me. I can live with the current state of things, and the same-tuner overlap handling. I understand there are those that can't, and respect that.
A lot of good this did me...

All three just got the update, lost the real-time connection, bare-bones functionality, can't reboot since they are recording, can't watch because the screen keeps blacking out (sound too), and the only way I can get anything to show is by switching to another HDMI port and back, only to go black again. The HDUI Thumbs-Down, Thumbs-Up, Play, Play sequence won't even get them back up without jumping between HDMI inputs...

KMTTG just locks-up, but my network is working fine for all non-TiVo devices.

I don't have high hopes for what I'll see when they can reboot and update. Hopefully I'll at least be able to do something after they can install the update. Belly-Up bricked on all three, and can't even verify they actually are recording as the panel lights indicate.

I guess I have live by the comment I made about how TiVo users should know that software updates are "Beta Testing & Field Trials Part 2" and that's what we ought to know by now if we've been TiVo users for a significant amount of time.

Force-feed all three an update at the exact same time, during prime-time, throwing all into C133 lockdown mode... WTH TiVo?
Old 04-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #180
andyf

http://status.tivo.com is showing a partial outage on core services. They're calling a minor outage ... seems pretty major to me.