TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Have you attempted to use out of home streaming and succeeded?
Yes, it works fantastic, this poster is full of crap. 27 67.50%
Yes, I tried but it wouldn't work, Tivo marketing is full of crap. 6 15.00%
No, I haven't tried. I'm sure someday Apple could do it if Tivo can't. 4 10.00%
No, I don't care about this. 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 04-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #121
jimmypowder

At the end of a recent trip , I tried Tivo ooh streaming and it went into setup mode .

This has happened before and once you see it your dead in the water for the rest of the trip until you setup again at home .

This app and ooh streaming are complete garbage !!!!
jimmypowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #122
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'll get to try out OOH streaming in about a week. I'm attending NAB in Vegas for 4 days. I'll report back my honest opinion when I return. I have experience with both in home Stream and SlingBox OOH so I have a good idea of how I expect it to work. We'll see if it lives up to my expectations.
So how's it working out for you ? Show a screen picture if you get it to work .
Old 04-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #123
Dan203
Super Moderator

I was off by a week. NAB is next week. Leaving on Sat
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #124
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post
At the end of a recent trip , I tried Tivo ooh streaming and it went into setup mode .

This has happened before and once you see it your dead in the water for the rest of the trip until you setup again at home .

This app and ooh streaming are complete garbage !!!!
i have had this happen before, I am always able to repeat setup away from home with no problem. I suspect that the stream caches the MAC address of the device somewhere.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:14 AM   #125
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
i have had this happen before, I am always able to repeat setup away from home with no problem. I suspect that the stream caches the MAC address of the device somewhere.
Not me .im using a TiVo Roamio .

I thought all TiVo streaming had to be setup at home . Are you using a Roamio or a separate TiVo Stream box ?
Old 04-05-2014, 08:46 AM   #126
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Not me .im using a TiVo Roamio .

I thought all TiVo streaming had to be setup at home . Are you using a Roamio or a separate TiVo Stream box ?
Stand alone, but as far as I can tell only the initial setup must be at home. My guess is this requirement has something to do with configuring the proxy server that Tivo uses. I have had on more than one occasion, the app fail to connect and tell me that I need to run setup, I simply ran setup, the stream was found and configured with no issues even though I wash't home.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #127
jimmypowder

Quote:
Stand alone, but as far as I can tell only the initial setup must be at home. My guess is this requirement has something to do with configuring the proxy server that Tivo uses. I have had on more than one occasion, the app fail to connect and tell me that I need to run setup, I simply ran setup, the stream was found and configured with no issues even though I wash't home.
I tried to do setup away from the house and it would not work .

I'll try again when I'm away from the house and this bug shows up again, which I'm sure it will .
Old 04-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #128
johnh123

That happened to me but I just did setup again and it worked fine

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
johnh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #129
Dan203
Super Moderator

Ok I've watched a couple of things so far on my trip and even with the slow hotel WiFi (1-1.5Mbps) it's been fine. The only complaint I have is the audio starts to sound a bit weird with lower bars. When you get to the 2-3 bar level the video looks SD, but is watchable, but the audio sounds a bit like everyone is talking through a tin can. At 4 bars or higher it sounds OK. I think they'd be better served bumping the audio a bit and sacrificing a bit of video. We've found in our product that people are much more sensitive to audio glitches then video glitches. (to a limit) Maybe they could even use VFR video to save bits and dedicate more to audio. (VFR = Variable Frame Rate)

But all in all it's been so far so good.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #130
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Ok I've watched a couple of things so far on my trip and even with the slow hotel WiFi (1-1.5Mbps) it's been fine. The only complaint I have is the audio starts to sound a bit weird with lower bars. When you get to the 2-3 bar level the video looks SD, but is watchable, but the audio sounds a bit like everyone is talking through a tin can. At 4 bars or higher it sounds OK. I think they'd be better served bumping the audio a bit and sacrificing a bit of video. We've found in our product that people are much more sensitive to audio glitches then video glitches. (to a limit) Maybe they could even use VFR video to save bits and dedicate more to audio. (VFR = Variable Frame Rate)

But all in all it's been so far so good.

post a picture .lets see the video quality.You said you have experience with Slingbox,how does the audio and video quality compare ?

Last edited by jimmypowder : 04-07-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #131
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
post a picture .lets see the video quality.You said you have experience with Slingbox,how does the audio and video quality compare ?
Why should anyone feed you on this? we already know as far as you're concerned the Stream is utter and total crap and your slingbox kicks its butt and you won't stop until you have everyone agreeing with you about the Stream.

I've spent all afternoon watching the race in Texas on a wifi signal that barely supports streaming AUDIO and while the quality of the video is mediocre at best, I can still watch the race live.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #132
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Why should anyone feed you on this? we already know as far as you're concerned the Stream is utter and total crap and your slingbox kicks its butt and you won't stop until you have everyone agreeing with you about the Stream.

I've spent all afternoon watching the race in Texas on a wifi signal that barely supports streaming AUDIO and while the quality of the video is mediocre at best, I can still watch the race live.

Let's see factual evidence .Lets see a pic .That's what I did(posted a pic) earlier and the video was garbage!

Did you seen my pics? Guess not
Old 04-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #133
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Let's see factual evidence .Lets see a pic .That's what I did(posted a pic) earlier and the video was garbage!

Did you seen my pics? Guess not
I don't give a care about "your pics" nor do I care to bother to post what I've admitted was a mediocre but acceptable experience, I'm not saying it was Blu-ray quality, I'm saying I was able to stream in a bandwidth challenged environment that has trouble with audio only.

You need to change your tune, the constant refrain of "show me pics" was old months ago, no Stream image will ever be good enough for you, so why should we bother?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #134
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Not sure what this will prove since its not video, but I am on hotel wifi, and it looks great.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #135
jimmypowder

Quote:
Not sure what this will prove since its not video, but I am on hotel wifi, and it looks great.
Better video quality then I have ever seen on a 20 /5 wifi out of home wifi site . And this is hotel wifi ? Hmmmm amazing !!!

Oh I see the bar . This is a program you have recorded at home and are watching ,correct?

I'm talking about streaming a show you haven't recorded completely yet . Almost real time streaming .

Am I right about this ?
Old 04-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #136
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Better video quality then I have ever seen on a 20 /5 wifi out of home wifi site . And this is hotel wifi ? Hmmmm amazing !!!

Oh I see the bar . This is a program you have recorded at home and are watching ,correct?

I'm talking about streaming a show you haven't recorded completely yet . Almost real time streaming .

Am I right about this ?
Live looks the same, HLS streaming breaks the video up into small chunks, a partial recording vs a full recording won't make a difference.

Last edited by ellinj : 04-07-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #137
jimmypowder

Quote:
Live looks the same, HLS streaming breaks the video up into small chunks, a partial recording vs a full recording won't make a difference.
I get nowhere near this quality on stronger private networks . Are you using a TiVo Stream or a Roamio with the built in stream ?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #138
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
I get nowhere near this quality on stronger private networks . Are you using a TiVo Stream or a Roamio with the built in stream ?
stand alone stream
Old 04-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #139
jimmypowder

[quote="ellinj;10067809"] stand alone stream[/QUOTE

Ok I'm using a Roamio hardwired .

I'm beginning to think the stand alone streamer is better .

I get nowhere near this quality except when I'm in
home streaming .
Old 04-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #140
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Quote:
stand alone stream
Ok I'm using a Roamio hardwired .

I'm beginning to think the stand alone streamer is better .

I get nowhere near this quality except when I'm in
home streaming .
They're exactly the same hardware platform and quality, I Stream from my Premiere via my Roamio, and previously used a stand-alone, no difference I ever saw.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:44 AM   #141
jimmypowder

[quote="dianebrat;10067866"] They're exactly the same hardware platform and quality, I Stream from my Premiere via my Roamio, and previously used a stand-alone, no difference I ever saw.[/QUOTE

Well my experience is the Tivo Stream is garbage .

I wish I had bought a Roamio Basic
Old 04-08-2014, 07:09 AM   #142
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
They're exactly the same hardware platform and quality, I Stream from my Premiere via my Roamio, and previously used a stand-alone, no difference I ever saw.
Well my experience is the Tivo Stream is garbage .

I wish I had bought a Roamio Basic
So do we.. so do we..
Old 04-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #143
jimmypowder

Quote:

This must be the best hotel wifi on the planet. I have never seen such a good picture except with in house wifi streaming.

OOH with 20/5 private wifi and the picture quality isnt even close to this,in my experience.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #144
Austin Bike

OK, I see a trend here. Seems to be working for almost everyone and with decent quality. There are a couple people having problems.

Normally, in troubleshooting, when it works exactly as expected for most of the people, you narrow this down to an external variable that exists among those users.

So, can we take this conversation from "Tivo isn't doing this right" to "what is is about my environment that is causing this."

We have enough data to show that it can work right and we have dozens of variables outside of their control (your network, the hotel network, your ISP, the hotel's ISP and, quite frankly every stop in between on the intenet.

I grow tired of people who can't get technology to work (for whatever reason) blaming the wrong thing. Let's all take a little ownership and recognize that if it isn't working right that you may be contributing to the issue in one way or another.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #145
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
OK, I see a trend here. Seems to be working for almost everyone and with decent quality. There are a couple people having problems.

Normally, in troubleshooting, when it works exactly as expected for most of the people, you narrow this down to an external variable that exists among those users.

So, can we take this conversation from "Tivo isn't doing this right" to "what is is about my environment that is causing this."

We have enough data to show that it can work right and we have dozens of variables outside of their control (your network, the hotel network, your ISP, the hotel's ISP and, quite frankly every stop in between on the intenet.

I grow tired of people who can't get technology to work (for whatever reason) blaming the wrong thing. Let's all take a little ownership and recognize that if it isn't working right that you may be contributing to the issue in one way or another.
Every out of the home steaming device I have from Slingbox,Audiotap ,Vulkano,VNC works just fine except the TIvo ooh.

Ive done plenty of troubleshooting and I know it's not my network

I have 110/22 mbps speeds at my house as well .The private ooh network I use has 20/5 . I still cannot get even close to the video quality
of this guy's hotel wifi.

Hardwired Roamio so its not a wifi issue.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #146
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Every out of the home steaming device I have from Slingbox,Audiotap ,Vulkano,VNC works just fine except the TIvo ooh.

Ive done plenty of troubleshooting and I know it's not my network

I have 110/22 mbps speeds at my house as well .The private ooh network I use has 20/5 . I still cannot get even close to the video quality
of this guy's hotel wifi.

Hardwired Roamio so its not a wifi issue.
Is it possible your Roamio is just broken? Or your ISP is throttling certain types of connections? The hotel wifi I was using last night wasn't particularly great, but I suppose I can do a speed test tonight.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #147
moyekj

It's pretty likely the issue is out of jimmypowder's control, such as an issue with going through TiVo proxy server and the internet path being taken to do that. Remember, jimmypowder says the quality is fine for in home streaming, so that pretty much rules out a local network problem or an issue with the Stream hardware. Having said that, the OOH screen capture jimmypowder posted looked pretty decent to me - I've seen much worse using the Stream OOH.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #148
moyekj

NOTE: While streaming, a 2 finger left-to-right swipe will bring up additional statistics about the stream (at bottom of screen) which would be useful information (resolution & bitrate) to see as part of any screen capture.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #149
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
It's pretty likely the issue is out of jimmypowder's control, such as an issue with going through TiVo proxy server and the internet path being taken to do that. Remember, jimmypowder says the quality is fine for in home streaming, so that pretty much rules out a local network problem or an issue with the Stream hardware. Having said that, the OOH screen capture jimmypowder posted looked pretty decent to me - I've seen much worse using the Stream OOH.

That was one of the better screen captures . I have seen a lot worse too.

Frankly , I don't even bother anymore with Tivo ooh streaming and just use my Slingbox .

Last time I tried to yes it , setup mode came up again . This happens frequently , about 3 out of 5-6 times I've tried to
stream .

I have zero issues with my Slingbox or the Vulkano I have .

Hopefully , Tive ooh streaming will get better . In house streaming looks great but I don't really use it with hdtv's
around .
Old 04-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #150
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Not sure what all the numbers mean , but here you go.