TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Tivo audio in Dolby digital?

Is there any method to capture Dolby digital in transfers from the TiVo instead of two channel PCM? I assume if such would be possible it would be a advanced video processing in capturing the optical sdif and remuxing it with the video?

Am I just crazy to think such would be possible?
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
moyekj

?? TTG transfers to your computer do normally give you the AC3 (dolby) audio track, which is normally 6 channel for HD recordings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
?? TTG transfers to your computer do normally give you the AC3 (dolby) audio track, which is normally 6 channel for HD recordings.
OK, I should have described better, I'm interested in taking the decrypted mpeg video stream and re encoding in a h. 264 HD video preserving more than the dual stereo channels. Does that make better sense?

I didn't know the encrypted .Tivo had the dts stream in it, so in a sense then if a Tivo file has the dolby stream in it (I just assumed it didnt) then could this be possible? Forgive my ignorance of such, I know just enough about the higher end video fundamentals to be dangerous and I'm learning as I go along.
TiVo Premiere

Old 04-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #4
moyekj

If you download .TiVo file (in PS format, not "fast transfers" which is TS format) then you can use "tivodecode" to decrypt and the result will me mpeg2 program stream container with mpeg2 video and multi-channel AC3 (dolby) audio. Then there are lots of different programs to re-encode that to H.264 video + AC3 audio from that point. However, you need to describe what your end game is for playing the re-encoded video files. Most tablets/phones can't handle H.264 video + AC3 audio, so if that's your target then you don't want to do that.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
pmiranda

Actually I thought most phones and tablets preferred h.264 and ac3 since mpeg2 costs more to license (for video anyway). Recompressing the audio to mp3 would be more compatible but I thought ac3 was pretty commonly supported and usually a little better quality, especially if you want to preserve the multichannel mix.
In any case, once you get the video decoded there are lots of programs to recompress. I find handbrake pretty easy to use.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:48 AM   #6
jcthorne

Quote:
If you download .TiVo file (in PS format, not "fast transfers" which is TS format) then you can use "tivodecode" to decrypt and the result will me mpeg2 program stream container with mpeg2 video and multi-channel AC3 (dolby) audio. Then there are lots of different programs to re-encode that to H.264 video + AC3 audio from that point. However, you need to describe what your end game is for playing the re-encoded video files. Most tablets/phones can't handle H.264 video + AC3 audio, so if that's your target then you don't want to do that.
Very true, but I just last night found out my new HTC One (M8) can handle an mp4 file with full 1080p24 video in h.264 codec and AC3 audio. And file sizes greater than 4GB. This means this is the first Android device I have owned that can now use the exact same files I use for the TiVo and my WDTV box. Pretty cool that the hardware decode is all there now and they finally support larger files. Connecting to a flat panel via HDMI got DD pass thru as well. Try THAT on a iphone.......

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
Actually I thought most phones and tablets preferred h.264 and ac3 since mpeg2 costs more to license (for video anyway).
They prefer h.264 and AAC.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #8
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Thank you for pointing this out, I wasn't aware that the 6 channel was preserved when it was downloaded even with kmttg which I went back to some of my downloads and found that they had the 6 channel tracks instead of tow which I wasn't paying attention to. Now if I can move to my next project of sorts.
TiVo Premiere