TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
jackief

problems with simultaneous output from hdmi and component outputs after upgrade

Title says it all. I have the hdmi output going to my tv, and the mini breakout cables going to slingbox. All worked well until the recent software update. Now I am having problems with both outputs being active together. The tv works and the slingbox doesn't, if I reboot and unplug hdmi I get the slingbox video signal.

I have posted this in the upgrade release notes thread in the roamio forum but haven't heard of others having issues. Any reports of this working, or of problems appreciated.

Thanks
jackief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
moyekj

I also posted in the other thread that I'm seeing same problem with my Mini with 20.4.1. I think there's 2 bugs here:
1. simultaneous output of HDMI + component doesn't work
2. Switching outputs even when only 1 is used at a time requires a reboot

I suspect since component requires additional breakout cables that it is seldom used by anyone and not heavily tested by TiVo.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
jackief

thanks for the confirmation moyekj. Since TiVoMargaret is monitoring the other thread, I'll keep an eye out over there for further updates.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
magnoman99

I'm having the exact same issue with component and HDMI.

I have an older Sony HDTV that was having HDMI issues with the Mini where the Mini would randomly reboot or the screen go dark so I started using component cables for video and feeding my Sony audio receiver with HDMI for the digital audio. This was working great.

This morning I could no longer play back any of my programs on my setup. Upon playing a program the TV screen would go black like there was no input on the component cables and the audio would continue in the background. If I unplugged the HDMI I could play back the video fine but of course there is no audio. If I plug the HDMI back into the Mini while the video is playing the video will freeze and/or become choppy and the audio never comes up.

I tried rebooting the Mini about 4 or 5 times and the behavior is reproducible.

Luckily I've gone back to using just HDMI instead and that has been working great so far.
magnoman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
mcabrew

Same thing here.
Two weeks with romeo plus and 3 minis. Lots of problems (different hangs on minis) so far.
I have one mini set up with both HDMI and component, after update today or last night, component has not been working most of the time. One reboot it started working then dropped, next reboot nothing.
mcabrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

My mini that I have connected to a sling box is still working with component out and HDMI out after the update.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
Pejota

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
My mini that I have connected to a sling box is still working with component out and HDMI out after the update.
Same here.
Pejota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
Mgalin

Hdmi

ON my PRO, the update was making it act finicky with HDMI + Component. (With my Slingbox).. As long as the TV was powered up and rebooted Roamio, don't have the NOT SUPPORTED HDMI issues.. I think the Tivo code needs work... Think it's a not well tested implementation of HDCP..
Mgalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #9
Mgalin

Hdmi

ON my Roamio PRO, the update was making it act finicky with HDMI + Component. (With my Slingbox).. As long as the TV was powered up and rebooted Roamio, don't have the NOT SUPPORTED HDMI issues.. I think the Tivo code needs work... Think it's a not well tested implementation of HDCP..
Mgalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
jackief

Thanks for all the reports I'm glad it is working for some. I'm waiting to see if they push anything else out before trying some more
Old 04-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #11
jaredmwright

Put me as another user with a Roamio Pro and Slingbox with audio only after the latest update. I get audio, but black screen for video. This works flawlessly with my Elite XL4 and Roamio up until this update. I verified by moving my Slingbox over to DirecTV and it works fine. Timing and issue is 100% related to the latest software update.

If anyone has any work arounds, I would love to hear them to try out.

UPDATE: On a strange whim, I rebooted the Slingbox and I was able to get video over component to my Slingbox 350 while HDMI was connected to my receiver in use and while my receiver was on another input. Not sure if the Slingbox was in a bad state from a resolution that caused an issue, but it is working for now. Will update again with any changes.
-TiVo Mini (MoCa) HDMI
-TiVo Mini (MoCa) HDMI
DirecTV HR22 HDMI & Slingbox Solo COMPONENT

Last edited by jaredmwright : 04-06-2014 at 10:51 PM.
jaredmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #12
jackief

interesting Jared. I have not tried rebooting the slingbox, I'll give that a try and report my outcome. Thanks for the idea.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #13
jackief

I think I am back in business!

A reboot of the slingbox didn't fix the problem, but after that I rebooted the mini. Watched the startup sequence on tv and browser via sling simultaneously, and has been working ever since. I want my kids who access the sling to try it before pronouncing it 100% resolved.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

I ran into this issue this morning. It had been fine previously. but the only thing that changed was an update to the XBOne in that room. I output from my Mini, into a 1x2 HDMI splitter. One output goes to my XBOne and the other goes straight to my receiver. While the component outs go to the Slingbox 350.

After my XBOne updated, my Slingbox video went out on my tablet. I have no idea why though. I rebooted the Mini and it came back. My Slingbox has been up for many months. if it's been rebooted recently it would have been from a software update. Otherwise it's always just sat there on. And always worked for me since I got the Singbox 350 at launch in 2012.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #15
leiff

I've had to reboot my mini daily because of this black screen problem from component video out since update.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

I have not run into the issue again. At least not yet. I've been checking the SLingbox remote viewing every day as well as viewing my Mini through an XBOne. Viewing from both outputs(HDMI and component) has been fine since I did that one reboot.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

This just happened to me again today. i have no idea why it's been fine for several days and now there is an issue where it shows "Weak or no Video signal". I guess I'll trying removing the HDMI splitter I hhave installed. I guess that could somehow be affecting the Component output. No idea though. But the issue only arose after an XBOne update earlier this week. But come to think of it I had another update on the XBOne recently. So maybe that was some how the cause again.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #18
leiff

sounds like your problem is different then mine? My problem arises when component out video only shows black screen while audio continues normally. Requires reboot to fix. Happens daily. Will tivo swap out my mini if i ask? seems strange update broke my mini but everyone else works fine. I have to say I love the included ability to use Comcast on demand simultaneously in multiple rooms since update and I no longer get error messages when using on demand ;prior to update on demand was frequently giving error messages.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
sounds like your problem is different then mine? My problem arises when component out video only shows black screen while audio continues normally. Requires reboot to fix. Happens daily. Will tivo swap out my mini if i ask? seems strange update broke my mini but everyone else works fine. I have to say I love the included ability to use Comcast on demand simultaneously in multiple rooms since update and I no longer get error messages when using on demand ;prior to update on demand was frequently giving error messages.
That is what happpens with mine. The component out video goes black while audio is fine. But so far, the two times it has happened, was after my XBOne updated.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #20
markfheil

This is happening with my Mini as well (hooked up to a SlingBox with the Component cables). It looks like Tivo has been forced to implement this as a copy protection scheme. Ti only turns on when you watch a channel that has copy protection turned on (AMC for example, they are the same channels that don't let you copy shows onto your PC with Tivo Desktop). Unfortunately, once you tune into a channel that does that, it doesn't revert to normal for other channels and you have to reboot the Tivo.

I saw the same thing with a Comcast DVR, that was set to not allow any video signal through Composite/component when the HDMI was active.
markfheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfheil View Post
This is happening with my Mini as well (hooked up to a SlingBox with the Component cables). It looks like Tivo has been forced to implement this as a copy protection scheme. Ti only turns on when you watch a channel that has copy protection turned on (AMC for example, they are the same channels that don't let you copy shows onto your PC with Tivo Desktop). Unfortunately, once you tune into a channel that does that, it doesn't revert to normal for other channels and you have to reboot the Tivo.

I saw the same thing with a Comcast DVR, that was set to not allow any video signal through Composite/component when the HDMI was active.
This is not the issue with mine. On FiOS, HBO and Cinemax are copy protected. But I can view the channels from the SLingbox without issue. So far for me, when I've lost video to my slingbox, it has been after my XBOne rebooted from a software update.
And the XBOne is getting it's Tv signal from my TiVo Mini.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #22
leiff

I'm trying to determine a cause for the blank screen on component. To everyone else who is experiencing this- do you also have mini attached to a second TV via HDMI?
Old 04-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #23
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
I'm trying to determine a cause for the blank screen on component. To everyone else who is experiencing this- do you also have mini attached to a second TV via HDMI?
Yes, one way to get it working for sure is disconnect HDMI connection and reboot the Mini. Following reboot you may be able to get both HDMI & component working simultaneously, but take 1 step at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #24
leiff

So far a reboot has worked to restore simultaneous connections for me every time. I havent tried unplugging hdmi yet.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #25
jackief

Just wanted to post that I am still having problems and gave given up trying things until we hear more from TiVo.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #26
bunjicat

I logged into my Slingbox for the first time since the update and had this problem. Slingbox would connect and say week signal or no signal. After reading this thread, I shut off the mini. disconnected the component cables from the mini (green and yellow plugs) restarted mini. Once mini was displayed on Tv (through hdmi) I plugged the tivo component cables back in and the video displayed on the Slingbox. I presume if the mini reboots I will have to go through the process again. Hope this helps someone.
bunjicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #27
bunjicat

Spoke to soon. Apparently it only fixes it for a short period. I can here audio but it says "No Video Signal". Bummer. Anyone?
bunjicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #28
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjicat View Post
Spoke to soon. Apparently it only fixes it for a short period. I can here audio but it says "No Video Signal". Bummer. Anyone?
Since I disconnected HDMI output and just use component to Slingbox (and then pass through from there to TV) I've not had any problems. So it's HDMI related issue not surprisingly.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #29
mcabrew

Two thing I noticed on my setup hopefully this helps others:

1) After reboot, both HDMI and Component work for Tivo menus, until I hit liveTV, then it drops component (both picture and sound).
2) Reboot, watching liveTV on component, plug in HDMI, component drops.

FYI: My set is a TV setup using component (but now composite since TV is used for the sound.) The second is a computer monitor using HDMI to DVI dongle to the monitors DVI input. It may be some changes in the HDMI handshake that my old monitor/mini doesn't handle. It worked fine before the spring update.

Is there a way to revert the update back to previous rev?
Old 04-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #30
mcabrew

Follow up to my post, just thinking, it's my TV, not the Mini, that drops the audio when it doesn't have the matching component video. Audio works when I move it to composite and switch input.