TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 45 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #121
jackief

I have rebooted around 5 times (good thing I like the tivo guy cartoon) and I can't get both outputs to function similaneously. I had unplugged HDMI and rebooted, and then the sling would pick up the component output. I plugged the HDMI back in, and the component stopped sending the signal again. I am getting audio on both tv and via slingbox.

I can take this to the mini forum? But I see Margaret in this thread so don't want to be off her radar. If there is a better place to pursue this, let me know.

I'm going to reread this thread to see if any of the other hdmi related reports could be related. It is definitely a problem on the mini end with the two video outputs so I do expect related to the update.

edit- starting at post 1 from Margaret, I am curious to see more details behind this and wonder if it is related-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargaret
fixed cases where TiVo Mini was rebooting due to HDMI issues

jackief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #122
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
Here is what the new "Default Recording Options" screen looks like:

I hate to slap this gift horse in the mouth, but...

I always set SPs to NEW only, so this is a welcome feature. But most of my Wishlists are to capture unique shows for a specific WL desire; eg, any show about Komodo Dragons, or anything Woody Allen directs, or all shows with HORSE in the title, or whatever. And they are never NEW only. I want them all.

By making this screen affect both SP & WL, it made it less useful for me. I may be the only one, but with 100+ SPs and 70 or so WLs, I'm a heavy user.

I do realize some people use WL for SP, but I never do that.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #123
midas
I heard that

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackief View Post
I have rebooted around 5 times (good thing I like the tivo guy cartoon) and I can't get both outputs to function similaneously. I had unplugged HDMI and rebooted, and then the sling would pick up the component output. I plugged the HDMI back in, and the component stopped sending the signal again. I am getting audio on both tv and via slingbox.
I just tested my Slingbox 500 and it works fine. But I've got mine hooked directly to the Roamio, not the Mini. So it might indeed be a Mini issue.

You might want to try changing your output resolution. I've heard of issues with 1080p output.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #124
sminhd

Loss of Audio when changing channels

Something new for me since the update on my Roamio Plus, connected to a Yamaha RX-A1020 via HDMI, with CC thru Comcast. On what seems to be a random basis, the audio signal drops when changing channels. I'd say out of every 10 channel changes, it happens 1 to 2 times. Whether or not the audio format of the content is stereo or DD, doesn't seem to play a part. When the audio drops, i can channel up and right back down and the sound will usually come back. I can also reproduce this, probably more reliably, by switching between TIVO Central and the program.

Anyone else seeing this?

btw...first time poster but have been following this very helpful board for some time.

Steve

Last edited by sminhd : 04-05-2014 at 12:10 PM.
sminhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #125
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwikSilvr View Post
After the spring update on my Roamio Plus my tv temporarily loses the HDMI signal when doing 30-sec skip, fast forward or instant replay. I get black screen ("no input detected") for a few seconds after the action until video is re-established. Almost like a change in resolution. Same thing when normal FF is first initiated; it does recover and show the FF action after a few seconds.

I did have issues with this sporadically happening when bringing up the menu or guide previously, but the issue with fast forward and rewind is only after 20.4.1 and is consistent (happens on every action).
Someone mentioned that transfers now appear to monopolize the CPU. That and your problem make it sound like TiVo may have somehow caused a bug in their processor-scheduling routines, screwing up the priorities. We can only hope that if such a bug was easily introduced, it can also be easily eliminated.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #126
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sminhd View Post
Something new for me since the update on my Roamio Plus, connected to a Yamaha RX-A1020 via HDMI, with CC thru Comcast. On what seems to be a random basis, the audio signal drops when changing channels. I'd say out of every 10 channel changes, it happens 1 to 2 times. Whether or not the audio format of the content is stereo or DD, doesn't seem to play a part. When the audio drops, i can channel up and right back down and the sound will usually come back. I can also reproduce this, probably more reliably, by switching between TIVO Central and the program.

Anyone else seeing this?

btw...first time poster but have been following this very helpful board for some time.

Steve
I don't think I've ever lost audio on channel changes, but losing audio for a few seconds after going into TiVo Central has been an issue for at least a year.

When you lose it on a channel change, does it come back after a few seconds? What happens if you hit the Replay button?
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #127
sminhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
I don't think I've ever lost audio on channel changes, but losing audio for a few seconds after going into TiVo Central has been an issue for at least a year.

When you lose it on a channel change, does it come back after a few seconds? What happens if you hit the Replay button?
No Replay, Skip, Pause, etc will bring it back. Only flipping channels or switching between TivoCentral and the program. Without doing this, the sound never comes back.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #128
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

My Premiere updated yesterday right when the update was released, just happened to catch it at a time when I was reconnecting cables and had it shut down for a bit but the update worked fine. The catch is that my Roamio hadn't updated yet but I started seeing all kind of weird things with pyTivo such as transfers not displaying in the pyTivo screen and on the Roamio, I would start a transfer and nothing would transfer, going to the do do list the transfers were listed but nothing would transfer to the Roamio between the updated Premiere and the non-updated Roamio, I rebooted the Roamio, it updated and now all appears fine, not sure what was going on but the two models being at different versions created some weirdness.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #129
randian

Even if the vast majority of users only ever use the default recording options, and even if KUSN should be the default, that's no reason to make the Keep Until default not settable. If I want to make the KU default KUID I should be able to.

I agree with the previous poster that there should be separate SP and WL defaults. Also thing that should differ for WL defaults: "HD only" vs "No HD".
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #130
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I suspect part of the problem is that the TiVo software might internally treat SPs and WLs identically, and thus there are limits to how differently they can behave?
Old 04-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #131
JAaronT

If I turn off Overlap protection, will it still record both shows if enough tuners are available? I hate this behavior, I'd prefer the stutter when the first recording ended.
JAaronT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #132
midas
I heard that

I find it kind of odd that there was no message about the new release. I've been a way from Tivo for a while, but I always remember a message. We even had a name for them, Pre Tivo Central Message.

With the new default recording settings I find it odd not to make people aware of it.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #133
Floridaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sminhd View Post

Anyone else seeing this?

Steve
I have the Roamio Pro connected via HDMI to a Yamaha RX-A3030 and had the exact same issue after the update. I would say the audio drops at least 50% of the time during channel changing. The only way to get audio back was to switch the channel back and forth or go into Tivo Central. This is a major issue IMO! I did find a work around. I hooked a digital optical cable from the Tivo to the receiver and now have my HDMI cable connected between the Tivo and TV. I had audio issues prior to the update and on occasion it would drop when changing channels but the update made it ten times as bad! Now I have zero audio dropouts since changing the setup of connections. By the way I have FIOS so it isn't just an issue with Comcast.
Floridaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #134
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas View Post
I find it kind of odd that there was no message about the new release. I've been a way from Tivo for a while, but I always remember a message. We even had a name for them, Pre Tivo Central Message.
One will probably be sent when the rollout is official. For now it seems to just be the people that signed up.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #135
sminhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaman View Post
I have the Roamio Pro connected via HDMI to a Yamaha RX-A3030 and had the exact same issue after the update. I would say the audio drops at least 50% of the time during channel changing. The only way to get audio back was to switch the channel back and forth or go into Tivo Central. This is a major issue IMO! I did find a work around. I hooked a digital optical cable from the Tivo to the receiver and now have my HDMI cable connected between the Tivo and TV. I had audio issues prior to the update and on occasion it would drop when changing channels but the update made it ten times as bad! Now I have zero audio dropouts since changing the setup of connections. By the way I have FIOS so it isn't just an issue with Comcast.
Thanks FLman. Always good to hear when others are experiencing your issues to allow for at least some sleep at night . Hopefully this won't linger on too long, at least at the frequency it's occurring post-update.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #136
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

KUID is for advanced users

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
If I want to make KUID the default, what business is that of TiVo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
adjust your settings for any recording or SP
Spoken like true power users! But TiVo is not marketed toward us advanced users who appreciate its superior capabilities, it's aimed first and foremost at people who want an easy-to-use, hassle-free DVR experience.

Offering a KUID option by default for all SPs and WLs would result in frustrated and confused novice users asking TiVo why their DVR keeps saying certain programs will be deleted early or not recorded at all because they don't understand that having too many programs set to KUID makes the DVR unable to calculate the unknown variable of when the user will manually delete those programs.

A simple solution to make everyone happy would be displaying a pop-up message when KUID is chosen as the default that says "Warning: Selecting KUID by default may result in some programs not recording as planned or being deleted earlier than expected. Continue anyway?"
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #137
bigguy126

I'm having HDMI issues too since the update. Transferred a mp4 via pytivo. Experienced black frames and flickers every minute or so. Watched the same video via roku and it played fine. So it is not the source. Only started sine the update.
bigguy126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #138
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Wanted: Detailed posts on any seemingly HDMI-related issues pre/post update

[SINGING] In the black hole, wish it would roll, Just want the update to apply.... [/SINGING]

I did register all TSNs, as soon as TiVoMargret fixed what was stopping them from being accepted...

I wonder what the odds are that the HDMI issues I've had since the "random reboot" issue came and went, will reverse if I ever get the update...

There have been times when widely reported issues never affected me, until the update to fix everybody else rolled, and then I would acquire the issue.

It would be really helpful, if those posting about any seemingly HDMI-related issues, post-update, could make sure to be very specific, as I keep posting replies to posts that are just too vague, thinking that I'm finally not alone, only to find out it's not the same issue.

What I'm specifically looking for is behavior that would mimic a flaky HDMI cable (or loose connection), that occurs without touching anything (not even the remote), just randomly, while watching something (recorded, or live).

I'm still on the fence on if I'm actually lucky to not have received the update yet, given the reports so far (yes, I've said that before).

I'm open to suggestions on if I should submit TSNs to TiVoMargret again, requesting her to check if I should've got it by now, or if I should contact her and ask to be a hold-out for a later (or the last) batch in the general rollout.

What I'm not asking for (politely), are replies telling me how great your HDMI is working. I'll assume that is the case for those who don't post about it.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 04-05-2014 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Added title
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #139
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
[SINGING] In the black hole, wish it would roll, Just want the update to apply.... [/SINGING]

I did register all TSNs, as soon as TiVoMargret fixed what was stopping them from being accepted...
I bet they stopped the rollout after the S03 on the Minis got reported. I would've.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #140
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
I bet they stopped the rollout after the S03 on the Minis got reported. I would.
Good point. Easy for me to overlook, since no Minis reside here. Most Mini talk is pretty much "background noise" to me.

I'd rather hear that is the case, from our usual source, than speculate, though...
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #141
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

We have temporarily paused the priority list updates while we look into a couple of issues.

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #142
Devx

Thanks TiVoMargret.

Also, I think it would be great if Tivo put those on the priority list before others. I don't have any of my Tivo's on the priority list (have never put my Roamio's on one) but my Plus was updated already to 20.4.1. Not really an issue, but when my boxes are otherwise stable I don't mind if others test the new changes out before me.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #143
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
Thanks TiVoMargret.

Also, I think it would be great if Tivo put those on the priority list before others. I don't have any of my Tivo's on the priority list (have never put my Roamio's on one) but my Plus was updated already to 20.4.1. Not really an issue, but when my boxes are otherwise stable I don't mind if others test the new changes out before me.
This is done on purpose. Not only does the initial test rollout go to priority users but it also goes so some normal customers. I believe they do this to see if there are any reports from these customers who tend to be more casual users.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:47 PM   #144
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas View Post
I find it kind of odd that there was no message about the new release.
+1
Perhaps it is because we are early adopters. But still, it seems odd.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:55 AM   #145
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

My Elite/XL4 which is on 20.4.1, had a random reboot tonight at 10:04pm Arizona Time.

It has not randomly rebooted since the "bad" TiVo data issue several weeks ago.

By the time I got around to looking at the logs they had already been uploaded to TiVo and the logs refreshed.

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:50 AM   #146
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
We have temporarily paused the priority list updates while we look into a couple of issues.

--Margret
One of my updated Roamio units must have re-booted about 10AM on the 5th as at 10pm the up time was about 12 hours and the time was not on the screen.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:05 AM   #147
chrispitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I doubt that nooneuknow and I are the only ones that wish they had fixed the overlap problems instead of sending our TiVos back to the old way of doing things. DirecTV has had this working for years and it shouldn't be that hard.

If this is a workaround until the summer update, so be it. If they're giving up on same-tuner overlap altogether it's time to hire new programmers.
Same here. There are some TV stations whose clocks apparently run behind, and so I need to pad their shows.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:04 AM   #148
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
Same here. There are some TV stations whose clocks apparently run behind
It can only be intentional, unless they are complete idiots. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol
Old 04-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #149
reffr

No HDMI Audio After Update - Series 4

My Tivo Series 4 now has now audio thru HDMI. I have restarted it numerous times.

Please help
reffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #150
humbb

On a positive note, after 2 days following the update, my Android phone now connects to the Roamio using the local network.
Previously it would only connect if I signed in (with the usual limited features).
humbb is offline   Reply With Quote