TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-26-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
djev

Smile Charter CC Firmware Upgrade!

I don't know if it's because I've been complaining a lot to Charter about this but our CC are upgrading at at my home in Fort Worth! I really hope this is a firmware upgrade being pushed out to all Charter customers. BTW, our cards are all Cisco.

We have 4 CC and so far the first 2 CC have upgraded, the second set hasn't yet. Now, the first two are on two 2-Tuner Premiers, figures, doesn't it? LOL

I'm waiting to see if the others upgrade sometime overnight, we got these years after the first two so if they are sending the upgrades via serial numbers or something that might be why they haven't begun to upgrade yet. We used to have that happen with Charter DVR boxes, they would all upgrade at different times.

Any way you look at it, I needed 2 upgraded cards and I will have them even if I have to re-pair all the boxes!

Last edited by djev : 03-26-2014 at 12:37 AM.
djev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
gmacted

Can you provide us with the firmware revision?
gmacted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
djev

Well, only the 2 old CC upgraded. I pulled them and swapped them, called Charter and got someone that didn't have a clue and insisted on a truck roll. I asked for, and got, a supervisor and she has a Tivo! Finally, someone that understood what we all go through!

Needless to say, an hour or so later, I have 2 Roamio models that can use all 6 tuners.

Now, the nitty gritty....

The 2 cards that upgraded to 1.5.3_F.p.1101 are both branded Scientific Atlanta with a PowerKEY Model PKM800, one of these is dated in 2007, the other in 2011. The 2 that did NOT upgrade are both branded Cisco with PowerKEY Model PKM803 both dated in 2011.

The most fun for me? I asked her if she had programs that didn't record once in a while and she almost shouted "Yes!" She was really appreciative when I explained why this happened and gave her the codes to take her boxes down to 4 or 5 tuners until she could get a firmware upgrade from her cable provider who is NOT Charter! LOL She doesn't live in a Charter area.

It did feel good to enter that 88636 code into the Roamio models and know that I'll have all 6 tuners working.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
gmacted

That's good news. I'll have to call Charter and see if they can upgrade my CableCard.

Please let us know if the other two update.

Last edited by gmacted : 03-26-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
tarheelblue32

It's interesting that the 2 cards that upgraded were in 2-tuner boxes and the 2 cards that didn't were in 6-tuner Roamios. That's either a strange coincidence or else maybe Charter is testing out the firmware upgrade on cards in devices that don't actually need all 6 tuners first before rolling it out to cards in devices that do.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
andyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
It's interesting that the 2 cards that upgraded were in 2-tuner boxes and the 2 cards that didn't were in 6-tuner Roamios. That's either a strange coincidence or else maybe Charter is testing out the firmware upgrade on cards in devices that don't actually need all 6 tuners first before rolling it out to cards in devices that do.
or the two that were updated were PKM800 cards and the two that weren't were PKM803 cards.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #7
djev

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
or the two that were updated were PKM800 cards and the two that weren't were PKM803 cards.
This is what I think happened.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:38 AM   #8
gmacted

I called Charter last night to inquire about the availability of the 1.5.3_F.p.1101 firmware and I got the standard "we can send you a new Cablecard" response. I did speak to a supervisor and he said he was going to contact another department to see what was available and call me back today. I'm not holding my breath on that one, but at least I can hope. I will call them again tonight if I don't get a response.

I am wondering if the update to the firmare has to with the roll-out of the "all digital" network. I also inquired when my area was going all digital and for my area it was still unknown.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #9
djev

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacted View Post
I am wondering if the update to the firmare has to with the roll-out of the "all digital" network. I also inquired when my area was going all digital and for my area it was still unknown.
Fort Worth was the first city to go all digital, that was about a year or so ago. Now, we did get Charter Spectrum and the 60/4 internet upgrade on the 18th. Whether that had something to do with it, I really don't know. I do know the 803 cable cards still do not have the new firmware, only the 800 cards do.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
Speed13b
Speed

After two months of banging my head against the wall with Charter customer support attempting to get a firmware update for my Roamio Plus, I finally had enough and filed an FCC complaint last week. I wasn't sure what would happen, but yesterday I received a phone call from Charter corporate telling me they have the complaint and one of the reps from my local office (Central Massachusetts) would call to address the issue. Later that day, the rep called and let me know they'd be in touch with me the next day to attempt a fix.

Today they called, told me they were ready to update the firmware, and asked that I turn the TV on to let them know if the "cable card firmware updating" banner appeared. It did, the card started updating. The rep told me it should take about 10 minutes and that they would call back to check on status. 10 minutes later, the update completed and I was able to assess the changes. I enabled all 6 tuners and whaddya know...they all worked! The firmware version of the card is PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101, build date June 06 2013.

Charter called back and confirmed all was well, the Massachusetts folks were outstanding throughout...if you can get the local tech reps to help with these it'll make a big difference.

The rep stated firmware upgrades would be rolling out in a few months but they did mine today, first one they had pushed (based on the complaint of course).

Bottom line...6 tuners all work and Charter CAN push this update.
Speed13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:01 AM   #11
djev

Just to update, there isn't one! The 803 series cards still do not have the new firmware. I've noticed that a few other people have remarked about get a partial upgrade as I did, just wondering if they have checked to see what series the cards are and if one series was upgraded instead of the other.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #12
lorenw

April 22, Charter goes all digital on my local system, I'm hopeful it will go smoothly. I do not want it to mess up my Tivo
lorenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #13
djev

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenw View Post
April 22, Charter goes all digital on my local system, I'm hopeful it will go smoothly. I do not want it to mess up my Tivo
We were the first area to go all digital so keep that in mind here...

It took several days before they figured out what they needed to do with the cable cards to get them caught up with the new system. Calling Charter didn't help, no matter how many times I tried and yes, I did go through retentions and threaten to cancel. I finally posted on their Facebook page and they got the attention of someone that knew what to do.

They have had a lot of experience since that time, maybe there won't be any issues.

We went to Charter Spectrum on March 18 and it took a couple of days for the guide and cable card to match up and that was with a guided setup.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:54 PM   #14
pshivers
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djev View Post
Fort Worth was the first city to go all digital, that was about a year or so ago. Now, we did get Charter Spectrum and the 60/4 internet upgrade on the 18th. Whether that had something to do with it, I really don't know. I do know the 803 cable cards still do not have the new firmware, only the 800 cards do.
My firmware upgrade to 153.1101 from the other day by Charter was also to a 800 version of the Cisco Cable card (In my Roamio 4 tuner). The Roamio Pro 6 tuner has a Cisco 803 Card and has not had the firmware updated...

As an extra added bonus my Roamio Pro received the 2.0.41 update last night, the three Mini's and the Roamio 4 Tuner are still on the previous release...

Wonder if it is an implementation "Plan" by Charter (Upgrade Older CC's first) or worse, the 803 cards have a problem with accepting an update?? (Just wondering out loud, have no real idea why one way or another).

I do know my firmware upgrade occured a few days after filing a FCC complaint about the lack of 6 tuner support and the available outdated firmware for Cisco.

Since the "All digital" upgrade last week by Charter (and subsequent "Guided Setup" I've noticed that a number of channels are still mismatched or just not available, but there are also multiple copies of the same show running simultaneously for several premium provides (Showtime, MAX, etc). I guess it will all get sorted out eventually! For the most part everything works fine and I am not missing any programming that I know of...
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Last edited by pshivers : 04-05-2014 at 06:08 PM.
pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
HarperVision

I thought I read a posting somewhere that stated that the 800 series (and older) were given out for retail devices and the 803's were for their cable boxes? I'm not 100% sure of this, but it keeps popping in my head every time I read this thread.

Last edited by HarperVision : 04-06-2014 at 04:37 PM.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #16
gmacted

I called Charter last week and got the e-mail address of a local Charter representative. I requested that they push the latest firmware to my CableCard, but said they needed the approval from the corporate office. They told me that they were denied the request, but said they were able to get me a "test card" with the updated firmware. I should know on Monday what day they are going to come out and install the card in my Tivo.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #17
pshivers
Retired!

I've swapped my CC's so the Roamio Pro (6 Tuner) now has the CableCard with Firmware PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101 and is activated, it took less than 15 minutes to swap and activate the CC's on both my Roamios's!

I have punched in the 6 Tuner code for my Roamio Pro and rebooted the box. Verified that all 6 tuners are receiving and recording, now it's just a matter of waiting for it to fail or not to fail! I've gone as long as 6 days in past before I noticed any 6 tuner failures and as little as 3 hours. But I have a real good feeling that my 6 tuners not authorized problems are now a thing of the past!

I did talk to my Charter Tech Guy today, it seems Charter just received a large order of NEW Cisco CableCards that come with firmware PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101 already installed. He is seeing zero problems on 6 tuner Roamios with these new cards, (Duh, Imagine that?! -lol-)

I'll post again in about a week and report how things are progressing!
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Old 04-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #18
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I thought I read a posting somewhere that stated that the 800 series (and older) were given out for retail devices and the 803's were for their cable boxes? I'm not 100% sure of this, but it keeps popping in my head every time I read this thread.
That was me I think you are thinking of, except it's PKM800/802, although I'm aware of the existence of PKM801/803 cards. IIRC, the odd-numbered cards have a significant difference from the even-numbered ones, when you check the specs over at SA/Cisco. IIRC, the odd-numbered ones would not be suitable for use in TiVos, unless the MSO was running some sort of a dual-capability headend.

Cox used to only issue PKM800 for retail and only use PKM802 inside their own devices.

One trip the to Cox store I was issued two PKM802 cards, while the other four acquired over time were all PKM800 cards. The receipt lists them all as PKM800 and my account data also states they are all PKM800 (I did make sure the serial numbers match the receipt and account data. The cablecard menu screens show the cards do identify as what they are labeled, on the cards themselves, so they aren't just labeled differently.

Over a year since I got the 802s, I still have never found anybody that can (perhaps a matter of "will") tell me the difference, or if it was a mistake.

I do know that Cox (here) has the impression that as long as they can keep their non-cablecard boxes working (by any means other than manufacturing more new non-cablecard ones), that they have no obligation to provide leased equipment with removeable cablecards.

After pursuing both of the matters to hell and back, I have no idea if the PKM802 cards should have been issued to me, or if they wound up in circulation due to Cox pulling leased cablecard boxes out of service.

I have noticed now that I only have three Roamios and three cards, that the one PKM800 seems to rack up a lot more RS and TA errors, both corrected and uncorrected.

If I wind up going back to the store again, I'll be sure to report how that goes. If I ever get a straight answer on the matter I'll be back, as well.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #19
pshivers
Retired!

The two Cablecards I have are a SA PKM800 running 153.1101 firmware that updated last week and a Cisco PKM803 running 152.2401...
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Old 04-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #20
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
The two Cablecards I have are a SA PKM800 running 153.1101 firmware that updated last week and a Cisco PKM803 running 152.2401...
I know, and don't dispute anything about what you have posted, here or elsewhere.

IIRC, the even and odd numbers can coexist, if the headend is configured to work with both. I only find it odd that any MSO would choose to run a dual-support headend, rather than stick with the even, or stick with the odd numbers.

Perhaps a transition is happening. That would explain one model getting updated, while the other hasn't, has a delayed update, or perhaps never will update.

If I had bookmarked the datasheets, and could easily find what I'm trying to recall from memory, I'd just post the links and name the pages.

Since I'm on a Cox network, it's not exactly the ideal way to compare notes, although data found direct from SA/Cisco should apply no matter what MSO issues the cards.

There's a possibility (maybe) that the MSO can flash the cards to work outside the base-specs, or order the cards pre-programmed to work outside the base-specs.

Hopefully, somebody who has more knowledge on the headend, and has the spec sheets bookmarked, can come along and enlighten everybody better than I can. I'll try to find time to re-discover what I'm trying to recall. It's also a possibility that the base specs have since been revised, and what I'm trying to recall no longer applies.

EDIT/ADD: To avoid confusion (for anybody), Scientific Atlanta & Cisco are now the same company, but used to be separate entities.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 04-07-2014 at 08:12 PM. Reason: See EDIT/ADD:
Old 04-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #21
pshivers
Retired!

One explanation for Charter having such a hodgepodge of Active CableCards is they have taken over a number of other cable providers over the years and had to support whatever was out in the field...

Btw, Does anyone know if Charter is still in the running to buy TWC?
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Old 04-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #22
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
That was me I think you are thinking of, except it's PKM800/802, although I'm aware of the existence of PKM801/803 cards. IIRC, the odd-numbered cards have a significant difference from the even-numbered ones, when you check the specs over at SA/Cisco. IIRC, the odd-numbered ones would not be suitable for use in TiVos, unless the MSO was running some sort of a dual-capability headend. Cox used to only issue PKM800 for retail and only use PKM802 inside their own devices.....
Yeah I also saw the spec sheets somewhere I think. I have the 803 card with TWC and it works fine as far as I can tell. It's still only on 153_0601 I believe. Maybe that's why mine isn't upgraded to 1101 yet?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #23
HarperVision

Quote:
One explanation for Charter having such a hodgepodge of Active CableCards is they have taken over a number of other cable providers over the years and had to support whatever was out in the field... Btw, Does anyone know if Charter is still in the running to buy TWC?
Comcast bought TWC a couple months ago.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #24
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Yeah I also saw the spec sheets somewhere I think. I have the 803 card with TWC and it works fine as far as I can tell. It's still only on 153_0601 I believe. Maybe that's why mine isn't upgraded to 1101 yet?
It is entirely possible.

I forgot about the recent mergers/acquisitions that have been going on, which is a very likely reason why some may have one model card for one headend configuration, while others have something else. It may not be dual-config headends in all cases, but could instead be different networks supporting different models, with one side of the street on one, and the other side on the other.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:18 AM   #25
jmbach

Quote:
Comcast bought TWC a couple months ago.
I believe the deal is in the works but it still has to pass DOJ, FCC evaluation and approval.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:52 AM   #26
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
I believe the deal is in the works but it still has to pass DOJ, FCC evaluation and approval.
True, but I think that stops any other deals (Charter?) from happening, at least until a final judgement is made.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #27
jmbach

I don't know. Above my pay grade. ;-)
Old 04-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #28
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Seems to be system wide. Altadena just got 1101.

--Carlos "enabled that last tuner" V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #29
schmegs

I just noticed my Charter CC on my Roamio was upgraded also. I've also noticed that my Roamio has crashed and rebooted 3 times in the last 2 days... Might be unrelated, but has anyone else noticed any problems?
schmegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #30
pshivers
Retired!

Quote:
I've swapped my CC's so the Roamio Pro (6 Tuner) now has the CableCard with Firmware PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101 and is activated, it took less than 15 minutes to swap and activate the CC's on both my Roamios's!

I have punched in the 6 Tuner code for my Roamio Pro and rebooted the box. Verified that all 6 tuners are receiving and recording, now it's just a matter of waiting for it to fail or not to fail! I've gone as long as 6 days in past before I noticed any 6 tuner failures and as little as 3 hours. But I have a real good feeling that my 6 tuners not authorized problems are now a thing of the past!

I did talk to my Charter Tech Guy today, it seems Charter just received a large order of NEW Cisco CableCards that come with firmware PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101 already installed. He is seeing zero problems on 6 tuner Roamios with these new cards, (Duh, Imagine that?! -lol-)

I'll post again in about a week and report how things are progressing!
I've had zero errors on my Roamio Pro since the updated CableCard with PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 was installed. All Six tuners are working without failure, I consider this problem closed for my own household...

Additional Note:
Tivo's "Spring Update" (20.4.1-USA-6-840) was installed on my Roamio Pro about the same time as the Firmware upgrade occurred by Charter. Other than needing to reboot my Roamio Pro so the Tivo Mini's could see it again, it has caused no problems in my service. My Roamio 4-tuner and all 3 Mini's have not received the Spring update from Tivo...
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Last edited by pshivers : 04-14-2014 at 04:24 PM.