TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
gamo62

TiVo Stream STILL Incompatible with H.264 Content

TiVo Stream still will not work on systems with H.264. One would have hoped that they would get this issue resolved, but apparently not. And no mention of that limitation on their web site.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

yep.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
maury

Not sure how you're doing it, but when I save TiVo files as h.264, they still have the tivo wrapper (.tivo extensions). So, using Stream doesn't play those?

In another thread, I'm asking some questions about using TiVo Desktop with Drobo NAS. I'm wondering if I save my files to the NAS, will my TiVo be able to find them and play them, just like on my PC?
maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by maury View Post
Not sure how you're doing it, but when I save TiVo files as h.264, they still have the tivo wrapper (.tivo extensions). So, using Stream doesn't play those?

In another thread, I'm asking some questions about using TiVo Desktop with Drobo NAS. I'm wondering if I save my files to the NAS, will my TiVo be able to find them and play them, just like on my PC?
MPEG4 is already being used by the Cable operators - so recordings on the TiVo are h.264 encoded. FiOS has used it for a while and my own cableco just started this month with the addition of Starz HD.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #5
gamo62

You can neither view nor download H.264 content. Anything MPEG2 works great. I have no idea when (or if) they plan on fixing this. It's really annoying being able to only use it with local networks.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:48 PM   #6
moyekj

gamo62, I would suggest you look for an alternative solution (such as Slingbox) if it's something you really want, rather than waiting on TiVo for a solution which may not come any time soon, if ever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:31 AM   #7
gamo62

I'm not in a hurry. It may not come until new Stream hardware is released. I'm not sure a software update would work. Or else , why not already?
Old 04-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
Or else , why not already?
Android support probably is much higher priority than this and hasn't happened yet either, so I don't think Stream updates get much attention at all at TiVo.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

I still can't believe that the TiVo stream was launched 19 months ago. Back in September 2012. And there still isn't any Android support. At the time I was hoping there would have been android support before the end of the NFL season. But that was just a pipe dream. I'm glad i picked up the SlingBox 350 when it was launched in October 2012 instead of waiting for Android Stream support. it just seems crazy how long it has taken.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
gamo62

Is there any reason WHY Stream doesn't yet work on H.264 content? WTH are they waiting for?
Old 06-21-2014, 01:55 AM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

I've heard through the grapevine that an update to the Stream is coming along with the Summer update. No word on whether it'll add H.264, but it's probably your next hope.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Is that update along the lines of adding Android support and also enabling pigs to fly? I'll believe it when I see it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:20 AM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have heard nothing about Android. Just that there is a Stream beta going on that coincides with the Summer update. Didn't even really get details as to what's being tested, could be a big disappointment but I always try to keep hope alive.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:41 AM   #14
BigJimOutlaw

Android support is [finally] coming. Only thing I heard about h.264 is that it was planned. File it under the "someday" category and hope it's sooner than later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg android.jpg (14.6 KB, 68 views)
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:38 AM   #15
Austin Bike

Quote:
Is there any reason WHY Stream doesn't yet work on H.264 content? WTH are they waiting for?
Just to come full circle, did TiVo claim support somewhere like they did with android?
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #16
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Android support is [finally] coming. Only thing I heard about h.264 is that it was planned. File it under the "someday" category and hope it's sooner than later.
Thanks for that nugget of hope after the intense downer that Aereo lost its supreme court case.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:53 AM   #17
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
They don't tell you that it's not capable of streaming H.264 content when you order it from their web site. And they know it too.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #18
mr_smits

Quote:
They don't tell you that it's not capable of streaming H.264 content when you order it from their web site. And they know it too.
Is this why content I rip from DVDs and push to tivo using pytivo are not playable on iPad streaming? There's no way a copyright flag is being picked up, so it must be tivo or the tivo stream is incapable of playing mp4 content.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #19
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
Is this why content I rip from DVDs and push to tivo using pytivo are not playable on iPad streaming? There's no way a copyright flag is being picked up, so it must be tivo or the tivo stream is incapable of playing mp4 content.
Pushed recordings are always marked copy protected.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #20
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Pushed recordings are always marked copy protected.
Why is that? I don't need my media device to parent me. I need it to display content I want to watch and go to the effort to push to it.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #21
lpwcomp

Quote:
Why is that? I don't need my media device to parent me. I need it to display content I want to watch and go to the effort to push to it.
Because push uses the HME protocol. Probably designed to protect content downloaded from services such as Netflix.

If you don't want them so marked, then pull them to the TiVo.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #22
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Why is that? I don't need my media device to parent me.
Actually, since ripping DVDs is illegal, you probably do.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #23
lpwcomp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
It has nothing whatever to do with the legality of ripping a DVD or the copyright status of the material. It's HME (used by push) vs. HMO (used by pull). IF you push a recording of your kid's birthday party, it's going to be marked copy protected. If you pull a rip of the BR release of "Rio 2", it won't be.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #24
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post

Goodbye, troll
Old 07-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #25
mr_smits

Quote:
It has nothing whatever to do with the legality of ripping a DVD or the copyright status of the material. It's HME (used by push) vs. HMO (used by pull). IF you push a recording of your kid's birthday party, it's going to be marked copy protected. If you pull a rip of the BR release of "Rio 2", it won't be.

When you say "pull", do you mean using the Tivo software to publish it to a Tivo box? Or is pulling content a different program altogether?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #26
lpwcomp

Quote:
When you say "pull", do you mean using the Tivo software to publish it to a Tivo box? Or is pulling content a different program altogether?
I mean selecting the recording via the share in "My Shows" and initiating the transfer that way.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #27
mr_smits

Quote:
I mean selecting the recording via the share in "My Shows" and initiating the transfer that way.

I don't understand the scenario you are explaining to me for "pulling" content to Tivo. Tivo doesn't automatically see all the shared content on my network for me to pull it to the Tivo box and then watch on my tv.

How can I pull content? Using the Tivo desktop software with published folders?
Old 07-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #28
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Goodbye, troll
Lol, they are technically right but I would guess such was offered out of humor and not trolling.

As described, pushing causes it to copy protected which is due to the manner how pytivo pushes it and lack of other published api's to accomplish a "push", it's not TiVo policing you!

Setup a share in pytivo that's holds the rip, go to the TiVo and select that share and recording and 'pull" it. No problem that way.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #29
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Setup a share in pytivo that's holds the rip, go to the TiVo and select that share and recording and 'pull" it. No problem that way.
Quote:
I don't understand the scenario you are explaining to me for "pulling" content to Tivo. Tivo doesn't automatically see all the shared content on my network for me to pull it to the Tivo box and then watch on my tv.

How can I pull content? Using the Tivo desktop software with published folders?
There has to be at least one share defined for you to push. It should show up at the bottom of "My Shows". Post your pyTivo.conf file (after editing it to remove security data like IDs and passwords). Post it between "CODE" tags to preserve the formatting.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #30
mr_smits

Quote:
There has to be at least one share defined for you to push. It should show up at the bottom of "My Shows". Post your pyTivo.conf file (after editing it to remove security data like IDs and passwords). Post it between "CODE" tags to preserve the formatting.

Ah yes. This sounds familiar. It may be because I always watch tv on my Tivo Mini, and I cannot pull shows from it (to the Roamio). From the Mini I can see the folder but not inside it.