TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Do you use Keep Until I Delete?
No, I do not use KUID. 49 20.33%
Yes, but only on one off recordings that I do not want to lose. 101 41.91%
Yes, I use KUID for one off recordings AND in my Season Passes and/or Wishlists. 91 37.76%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #1
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Do you use the ''Keep Until I Delete'' option?

Poll coming... stemmed from the update thread.

Some comments in the update thread got me to wondering how widespread the use of KUID is.

I think KUID use is in the minority, but I'm willing to concede if I am wrong, hence the poll.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
MikeMar
Go Pats

Well I don't have a tivo, but can I vote?

Why WOULDN'T you use KUID on a bunch of stuff? Why would you want a new show getting bumped if you let it build up.

MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I've never filled my hard drive. So effectively, everything is KUID.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
Why WOULDN'T you use KUID on a bunch of stuff? Why would you want a new show getting bumped if you let it build up.
I'm not sure what you mean. Isn't it old shows that would get bumped?
Old 04-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #4
morac
Cat God

The poll question is kind of vague. I never use KUID when setting up recordings, season passes or wish lists, but I do manually change recording to KUID from time to time after they've been recorded. Usually to remind me I want to save them to my PC.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I've never filled my hard drive. So effectively, everything is KUID.
Yeah, this is why I think the use of KUID will be in the minority among users here.

Since upgrading the hard drive for more space is so easy, I suspect more people are doing that so they can avoid using KUID.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
atmuscarella

I used to use it allot for the TV shows/series I was saving to watch latter (like in the summer). Now I just auto off load them to my computers instead as I decided not to upgrade the drive in my Roamio. Now I only use it for a few pod cast I want to keep around for awhile. The reality is I have way to many shows saved across all my TiVos & computer and will never end up watching many (most?) of them - I think at this point with what is on my computers and 4 TiVos it is at least 8 TBs of unwatched shows.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 04-05-2014 at 07:47 AM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #7
Sixto

TC CLUB MEMBER
I use it rarely by manually adding it to a recording that I might want to keep forever.

If I had a season pass that I wasn't expecting to watch soon then I might manually just make that season pass KUID, but I would never use it as a default for all season passes, for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Sixto : 04-05-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
waynomo
My One Time

I use this on shows I want to make sure I watch when setting up the season pass. It's much less of an issue now with the Roamio Pro.

Last edited by waynomo : 04-05-2014 at 08:18 AM.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #9
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

I have used it, but only very rarely so I voted no. If there's something I really want to keep I prefer to pull it off the TiVo to my media server where I can serve it up later over pyTivo.
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #10
midas
I heard that

The issue in the other thread was the complaint that the new default recording options didn't include KUID. For that option to make any sense it would require someone to setup more than 50% of their season passes or manual recordings as KUID.

The issue is not if you use it, the issue is if you use it the majority of the time.
midas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #11
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Well the poll is whether or not you use it, I just read the release notes thread talking about KUID. So if the author of the poll wanted to qualify the poll isn't obvious immediately.
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #12
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

it depends on the recording - if i'm recording a movie from hbo or sho, i always use kuid, because i might watch it again. same with any weekly serial show, i want it to stay until it's watched. if it's a daily news or a game show, no way.

bottom line, if tivo didn't behave wierdly (with a filling hard disk when using kuid on a majority of sp's), i'd probably use kuid a lot more.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
moyekj

The post in the update thread implied KUID is the default setting used by everyone - i.e. All or most season passes. An option not given in this poll. Though I don't need a poll to know that plain just cannot be the case.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have in the past on one off recordings, but not in a long time. With 3TB I've never even got close to 100%, so there is no chance of losing anything.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #15
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Yeah, this is why I think the use of KUID will be in the minority among users here.

Since upgrading the hard drive for more space is so easy, I suspect more people are doing that so they can avoid using KUID.
I take it you don't have teenagers in the house.... my 2 week old Roamio Pro is at 92% and my 2TB S3 was always maxed out..... hence all "my" recordings (SP & WL) were set to KUID, a must for the King of the house (ok, the serf, but i like to humor myself)
Old 04-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #16
59er
TiVotee

I use KUID for one of two purposes: to insure something won't get bumped someday if I fill the drive, or to make a show I have watched but am saving for my husband to watch later.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #17
djev

I use KUID for almost everything. Exceptions would be GMA, old repeats of Criminal Minds and NCIS. I always have the last two because I fall asleep and STAY asleep better to something I already know inside and out but they creep up into the 100's before you know it!
djev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #18
ADG
Allan

Whenever the option is offered I select Keep Until I Delete. As is the case with most others, I don't have a space issue.

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #19
midas
I heard that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
Whenever the option is offered I select Keep Until I Delete. As is the case with most others, I don't have a space issue.
See, this is what I don't understand. If you don't have any space issues, why set that? The only reason to set it is if you're short on space and are worried about it getting deleted to make room for new recordings.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #20
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Utilize KUID to manage My Shows list

I take a different approach to this topic by setting the SP of all of my favorite shows to KUID then each Sunday I adjust the keep-until date of the current episode I'm watching to Thursday next week so the green dot changes to no dot and prevents it from turning yellow until next Monday.

This way, by starting at the bottom of the My Shows list sorted chronologically with Groups off, I can see at a glance which episodes I've already begun watching (no dot), those that are ready to watch (green dot), and those that are low-priority KUSN shows (yellow dot). By the time I get around to watching newly recorded low-priority shows that appear at the top of the list with no dot, they have already changed to a yellow dot.

This method has worked for me since my first Series2 TiVo in 2004. Yes, TiVo is a religious experience for me.
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #21
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas View Post
See, this is what I don't understand. If you don't have any space issues, why set that? The only reason to set it is if you're short on space and are worried about it getting deleted to make room for new recordings.
Because there's no downside to doing so.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #22
midas
I heard that

Quote:
Because there's no downside to doing so.
Sure there is. You have to take extra steps to enable it every time.

And more importantly, there's no upside.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #23
ADG
Allan

Okay, tell you what. You do as you wish and I'll do as I wish. Work for you?

Old 04-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #24
midas
I heard that

Quote:
Okay, tell you what. You do as you wish and I'll do as I wish. Work for you?
That's fine, but not really the point of this discourse. I'm just trying to understand why someone would do that. Your answer basically says, "Because I want to." That's OK, I guess. But I'm looking for a logical reason. MHunter1 provided one that works for him. It's way more work than I want to put into managing my stuff, but at least it's logical.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #25
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas View Post
Sure there is. You have to take extra steps to enable it every time.

And more importantly, there's no upside.
I tend to hoard some shows for bulk watching. So I might have 20 episodes of something I want to watch. If I don't use KUID, I might lose some of the early episodes.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
I tend to hoard some shows for bulk watching. So I might have 20 episodes of something I want to watch. If I don't use KUID, I might lose some of the early episodes.
I off load those shows to my TiVo Desktop PC. I've been doing that with NCIS this season . I have yet to watch an episode this season. If I continue watching the show I won't end up watching it until sometime this Summer.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #27
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I downloaded a couple of Home Movies of my kids to my TiVo and I set those to KUID just so they wouldn't roll off the bottom and get deleted eventually. I want those to stay on the bottom of my NPL so I can use them to embarrass my kids whenever the opportunity arises. They were SOOOO cute when they were little!

Otherwise, I never use it for my recordings because if something hangs around long enough to get deleted on MY TiVo (upgraded HDD) it means I was never going to watch it anyway and why waste the space?
Old 04-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #28
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I off load those shows to my TiVo Desktop PC. I've been doing that with NCIS this season . I have yet to watch an episode this season. If I continue watching the show I won't end up watching it until sometime this Summer.
I do that too. It depends on the site and when I think I'll get around to watching it. Sometimes it's just easier to mark the show KUID
Old 04-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #29
chrispitude

I use KUID sparingly.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #30
GmanTiVo
give me more options

whatever happened to Freedom of Choice?

I reiterate, TiVo should give it's consumers and DVR owners the "choice" to enable or disable as many functionalities as possible and not impose on us what is logical, right (in their mind) or what marketing says, especially if the various functions are already there and do not interfere with the DVR's basic operations.

Let the end user decide what to do and tailor the TiVo to their likes and dislikes.

I for one really like KUID and really dislike the Discovery Bar, and don't give a rats @ss what others think and certainly don't have to justify my tastes (illogical or unpopular).... it is "MY" Tivo DVR and not yours!