TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #31
crisfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Well, it's actually harder than rocket science, given the fact that Hitler used rockets on England during WW II and we sent a man to the moon in 1969. We didn't get TiVo and ReplayTV until 1999. You do the math! (I read that here in the forums not too long ago, so it must be true.)
Let me rephrase:
Come on Tivo get this resolved its not like putting a man on Mars.
crisfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #32
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Now this is odd
Same time frame when mine rebooted?
I've deleted the 2 parts now, but I'd estimate it was around 11:30 PM EDT, Sunday 3/16/14.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:05 PM   #33
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
I've deleted the 2 parts now, but I'd estimate it was around 11:30 PM EDT, Sunday 3/16/14.
We'll what time was the mentalist on? EDT would have been 10 to 11 PM so no, was an hour earlier here for me and the 2 parts I had to delete was to the show resurrection during the 8 to 9 PM CDT
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:47 PM   #34
Rhewbear

within the first two weeks of January, the video from My Roamio Plus would freeze for between 5 to 15 seconds, the remote would not work (but amber LED would flash as if receiving input) and the DVR would finally reboot.

The DVR had not experienced a freeze/reboot for about 2 months, until this past weekend when on Saturday 03-15-2014 they began again (multiple times a day).

I'd assumed TiVo had addressed the problem with an update, but it appears a more recent update had "Un-fixed" it.

~RhewBear
Rhewbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:09 AM   #35
bmgoodman

Quote:
We'll what time was the mentalist on? EDT would have been 10 to 11 PM so no, was an hour earlier here for me and the 2 parts I had to delete was to the show resurrection during the 8 to 9 PM CDT
Mentalist was 10-11 PM EDT, padded for 1 hour. The second part of the padded recording was, IIRC, 24 minutes, meaning it started at 11:36 PM EDT. What I don't know is how long it took the Roamio Pro to reboot and start recording again, so I estimated 6 minutes and said the reboot was around 11:30 PM EDT.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #36
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
Mentalist was 10-11 PM EDT, padded for 1 hour. The second part of the padded recording was, IIRC, 24 minutes, meaning it started at 11:36 PM EDT. What I don't know is how long it took the Roamio Pro to reboot and start recording again, so I estimated 6 minutes and said the reboot was around 11:30 PM EDT.
Yea, there's an hour difference between us and taking that into account our reboots were approx. 2 hours appart
Old 03-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #37
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Random Reboots, TiVoMargret's response, & added things you can try

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
We found an interaction between the box and the service that was causing some random reboots. We made a change to the service last night that should resolve the problem. Please make a connection to the TiVo Service.

If you experience more than one reboot after making the connection to the TiVo Service, please email me your TSN with the subject "Random Reboots". (margret@tivo.com)

I am very sorry for the trouble!
--Margret
Link to TiVoMargret's post: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...9#post10039469

I didn't even have to email her, as a scheduled service connection, and my own routine "when I don't know what else to do" procedure, has stopped any of my three base Roamios from rebooting. I ran all the KS54 SMART tests first, as well as running all available SMART tests using a PC and the drive manufacturer's tools.

My added routine is described in this post, and has been updated, as of now: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...4#post10038994
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #38
crisfer

My roamio rebooted at the end of a recording on friday 3/28 at 7:58 pm while I was starting to watch xfinity on demand.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #39
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisfer View Post
My roamio rebooted at the end of a recording on friday 3/28 at 7:58 pm while I was starting to watch xfinity on demand.
I'd have to say it's isolated or another issue.

Been two weeks I think as of today since my last reboot.

Connect to the service and make sure you have the update
Old 04-02-2014, 12:11 AM   #40
mmf01

Might want to add "while paused" to this list. Paused a show and noticed a few minutes later while in the other room the TiVo boot music was playing. Haven't noticed this in several weeks.
mmf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:37 AM   #41
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Add me down for one. It was in standby.

I would usually not post about it. But, the last time nobody mentioned anything a few people were getting ready to replace their hard drives.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:30 AM   #42
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Add me down for one. It was in standby.

I would usually not post about it. But, the last time nobody mentioned anything a few people were getting ready to replace their hard drives.
Tivo just replaced my Roamio Pro for random reboots, claiming the hard drive was going bad. So far, no random reboots since February.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #43
crisfer

I have had three reboots in the last two weeks. I have updated numerous times after the last reboot when the TiVo came back on channel 705 cbs hd had that banner error v something problem with signal changed channel then changed back and it was fine and banner was gone. was offered a replacement by TiVo but the terms seemed a little ridiculous so I didn't especially since the TiVo was fine until it did an update in Feb. then the rebots started.

This is extremely fustratingI don't know what to do at this point...
Old 04-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #44
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I've had four distinct reboots, while doing very different things.

1. Doing nothing.
2. Watching Live TV.
3. Watching a recording.
4. Watching Netflix.

I'd say I've had at least seven reboots since the update, and that's just one Roamio. They are all supposedly on "log-monitoring", and I've been diligent in using the 777-clear for AV matters, and 911-clear for reboots and show-stoppers. I just hope somebody is actually doing something with it all. It's a lot of entertainment-interruptus...

I'd love to be rolled-back, as long as that doesn't cause more problems. I didn't ever have any Netflix reboots on the prior software, which I was doing Netflix marathons on for hours-on-end. That's why I haven't posted anything in the Netflix issue threads in so long.

My official opinion on this update is:

I understand it may be better for those who had missed recordings, due to the overlap glitch/issue, and made use of long paddings. I never do that, so I don't get to see any relief. I get the feeling that if these same folks start getting reboots, they'll find themselves just as unhappy.

I'm seeing quite a few mentions of reboots since the update, across many threads, and new forum members creating new threads, rather than finding their way to the update thread.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #45
schmegs

Well, my TiVo is basically worthless right now. I can't record an hour program without it splitting it into 2 or more parts and losing several minutes from the crash. It happens _all the time_ now. I'm glad I didn't get rid of my old one and go with a mini, because I've had to revert back to using that for anything that I can't catch on Hulu, etc.

I don't think I was ever "upgraded" to 20.4.1. As of now, at least, I'm still on 20.3.8, but maybe I got upgraded and then downgraded without noticing.

I'm really not happy about this...
schmegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #46
kirk1701

Now I had something odd happen tonight can anyone explain this or confirm they've seen it too?

Sat down to watch a program and TV says "No signal" I look at the Tivo and there was no light, as if it were turned off. Everything else had power so I figured, unplug the Tivo and plug it back in and it rebooted, got booted back up and rather then seeing the main screen I get a black and white text screen saying (don't remember exact wording) Push live TV for main menu, Enter to format?

Of course I hit live TV button and all was fine.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #47
mmf01

+1 on the random reboots. On 20.4.1. Opened iOS app. BOOM! Reboot...Happened about 5 minutes ago...haven't had one in months since the last update.. previously ran SMART tests and KS codes, no errors. I'm convinced this is software rather than hardware issue.
mmf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:01 PM   #48
L David Matheny

Quote:
Now I had something odd happen tonight can anyone explain this or confirm they've seen it too?

Sat down to watch a program and TV says "No signal" I look at the Tivo and there was no light, as if it were turned off. Everything else had power so I figured, unplug the Tivo and plug it back in and it rebooted, got booted back up and rather then seeing the main screen I get a black and white text screen saying (don't remember exact wording) Push live TV for main menu, Enter to format?

Of course I hit live TV button and all was fine.
Could your Roamio have gotten into standby mode somehow?
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #49
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Could your Roamio have gotten into standby mode somehow?
I was thinking that but I've never did it before. I just went and looked at the manual and it was definitely in standby.

Anyway to do that from the remote or from the outside of the unit?

I'm not the only one in the house but my mom can barely change channels no less flip through the menu
Old 04-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #50
HarperVision

But the standby mode never says anything about "format". That sounds like some sort of maintenance mode.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #51
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
But the standby mode never says anything about "format". That sounds like some sort of maintenance mode.
"Format" sounds like a hard drive problem to me. Sounds like the TiVo was unable to mount/read the HDD.
DeltaOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #52
jwbelcher

Quote:
It does. They still have the series 3 & 4 language about pressing the format button (ie tv resolution) on the front of the unit to leave standby mode.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)

Last edited by jwbelcher : 04-13-2014 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Corrected Models
jwbelcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #53
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
It does. They still have the series 3 & 4 language about pressing the format button (ie tv resolution) on the front of the unit to leave standby mode.
Tell yu what, I get a chance I'll put it in standby and see what it says when it comes out.

Let you all know
Old 04-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #54
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Tell yu what, I get a chance I'll put it in standby and see what it says when it comes out.

Let you all know
This was so easy. I don't get all the hard drive talk. I just put one into standby, and the momentary gray screen, with lighter-gray text, simply lists "format" as one of the buttons to press to resume from standby.

"format" is now labeled "zoom" on the remote, while the button still does the same thing.

Over the years, that button has been "aspect", "format", and "zoom", not necessarily in that order.

So, no need to start inciting panic, over a word Tivo overlooked.

Think about how long it took anybody here to notice this, before saying TiVo should have noticed (and changed) it, please.

EDIT/ADD: Since I have base Roamios, with no front-panel buttons, I can't say what any buttons on the front of the other Roamios are labeled. I'm pretty sure that both the TiVo HD, and the Premiere, had that a front-panel button labeled "format" on the TiVo itself, I checked the button on the Premiere remotes I still have and they also say "zoom", and "zoom" will resume from standby.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 04-13-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #55
HarperVision

Quote:
Oh cool. I've put my minis in standby many times and don't remember it saying "format". Glad to know!

P.S. - I'm in the middle of repairing a crashed PC, so I think my mind is in that mode and terminology of the word "format" right now!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #56
jwbelcher

Quote:
Oh cool. I've put my minis in standby many times and don't remember it saying "format". Glad to know!

P.S. - I'm in the middle of repairing a crashed PC, so I think my mind is in that mode and terminology of the word "format" right now!
I hear that. Format was a poor naming choice. Maybe I'm a dope, but when I first bought my TivoHD, I thought why in the world would they put a format button on the front...

I'll admit, it was a while before I pushed it to find out what it did.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #57
jwbelcher

Quote:
This was so easy. I don't get all the hard drive talk. I just put one into standby, and the momentary gray screen, with lighter-gray text, simply lists "format" as one of the buttons to press to resume from standby.

"format" is now labeled "zoom" on the remote, while the button still does the same thing.
I discovered, by accident, if you pull the power in standby mode, it will boot back into standby mode. Mine got put in standby, since the screen went black, I thought it died. Oops. It's a bit "lights out" when it goes black. It was my mistake, since I rarely use standby, I didn't expect the way it blacks out when the HDMI loses power (w/ video artifacts on the screen). a count down message would've been nice.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #58
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I discovered, by accident, if you pull the power in standby mode, it will boot back into standby mode. Mine got put in standby, since the screen went black, I thought it died. Oops. It's a bit "lights out" when it goes black. It was my mistake, since I rarely use standby, I didn't expect the way it blacks out when the HDMI loses power (w/ video artifacts on the screen). a count down message would've been nice.
As a regular user of standby mode, and also a frequent flier on random reboots, I've spotted the lights come on with one I'm not directly using, hear the fan speed-up, yada yada yada, then lights-out again.

I've been cast as some sort of OCD weirdo for using standby whenever possible, so I guess people noticing this must be few in number.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #59
kirk1701

Quote:

Over the years, that button has been "aspect", "format", and "zoom", not necessarily in that order.

So, no need to start inciting panic, over a word Tivo overlooked.

Think about how long it took anybody here to notice this, before saying TiVo should have noticed (and changed) it, please.

EDIT/ADD: Since I have base Roamios, with no front-panel buttons, I can't say what any buttons on the front of the other Roamios are labeled. I'm pretty sure that both the TiVo HD, and the Premiere, had that a front-panel button labeled "format" on the TiVo itself, I checked the button on the Premiere remotes I still have and they also say "zoom", and "zoom" will resume from standby.
nooneuknow's right
I put mine into standby tonight and hit the TiVo button to take it out of standby and seen the same screen again.

Pressing TiVo button again resumed and took out of standby.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #60
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
nooneuknow's right
Considering the number of places, and instances in which, people think I'm wrong, I'm tempted to quote you on that!