TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
michael1248

External Hard Drive

I am considering adding an external storage/hard drive. Just wondering what the latest is as far as potential Premiere issues. I seem to recall that many folks were less than enthused when they first added theirs.

Also, since the Premiere is now considered "Old" what should I expect to pay for a hard drive unit and where would you recommend I shop for one?
michael1248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
atmuscarella

The only current external drive that works is the Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander 1TB.

You can buy it from TiVo (link above) but I would buy it where ever you can find it the cheapest.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
Teeps

If your premier is out of warranty.
You might consider an internal drive upgrade.
Which will be more reliable than an external storage solution.
No enclosure interface to fail (not that they do)
4 less connections
no chance for accidental damage to enclosure or connections getting knocked loose.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
If your premier is out of warranty.
You might consider an internal drive upgrade.
Which will be more reliable than an external storage solution.
No enclosure interface to fail (not that they do)
4 less connections
no chance for accidental damage to enclosure or connections getting knocked loose.
It's 4 fewer connections but the enclosure interface, including eSATA cable (and power supply) are infamous for failing, at least intermittently, from what I've read in previous threads going back to the debut of the WD drives (and even some of the non WD that were capable of being used on the first S3).

But yeah, much better off spending about $100 or less on a 2TB WD AV drive and getting even more space than an external would add.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
d_bondi

I have 2 Premieres.

#1 has had a WD 1TB DVR Expander (older version) on it for about 3 years. 98% of the time it works fine, BUT sometimes when the TiVo reboots (power outage, manual, etc...) the TiVo doesn't see the DVR Expander freaks out. So far, another reboot has always fixed the issue. The danger is, if it ever does fail, you loose everything, since TiVo is clever and stores part of every recording on the stock internal HDD.

#2 (same model), I just upgraded (last weekend) to 2TB WD20EURX ($99.99 at Amazon) and it was not difficult (Thanks to everyone here at TiVo Community Forum!!!).

I agree, especially if you are out of warranty, do the upgrade, not the external, you get a more reliable solution, and DOUBLE the storage for about the same money (the WD 1TB DVR Expander is about $88 on Amazon).

"Nothing is idiot proof to a sufficiently motivated idiot"
d_bondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:29 AM   #6
JWhites

I've always been a fan of external hard drives because it's just so much easier and no hassle. The latest versions of the WD expanders are quieter then the internal drive itself. Most of the time the problem ends up being a faulty eSATA cable and really unless you're moving the TiVo and the expander around a lot or plugging and unplugging the eSATA cable a lot it's kinda hard for it to get damaged.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
contsole

I have twice been forced to unpair and repair the external drive causing almost a total loss of everything recorded. One time the drive was flaky and needed replaced, the other time there was nothing wrong with it. I was hoping for some secrete way to reconnect without a format but never did find a way. Next time, it's an internal upgrade for me.
contsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
I've always been a fan of external hard drives because it's just so much easier and no hassle. The latest versions of the WD expanders are quieter then the internal drive itself. Most of the time the problem ends up being a faulty eSATA cable and really unless you're moving the TiVo and the expander around a lot or plugging and unplugging the eSATA cable a lot it's kinda hard for it to get damaged.
Historically the problems have not been cable issues. There are many examples of people here who (including myself) had the external hard drives fail and lost everything. I'm glad you're one of the people that is happy with their external drive. I will never use an external again with a TiVo.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
jrtroo
User

I just did a premiere internal upgrade. I forgot how easy it was using the tools available. great to have more capacity, at a lower price, with a backup drive on the shelf.