TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-21-2014, 01:37 AM   #1
DEC2955

Suggestions for MINI v2

(1) Add addressable "RF" control
[so that the "RF" Like "IR" can be assigned to a remote + device combo]

(2) Add direct connect "IR"
[so that if a person has an IR system the "MINI" could be hidden or even mounted to the back of a TV with a IR receiver mounted else where.]
DEC2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:14 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC2955 View Post
[so that if a person has an IR system the "MINI" could be hidden or even mounted to the back of a TV with a IR receiver mounted else where.]
https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/ir-adapter
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:10 AM   #3
DEC2955

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Thanks for the link.. but that was not what I was looking for.. I was looking for an "like" connection where the lead from my "IR DISTRIBUTION" block could connect and not just a remote IR sensor.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
DAF54

Quote:
I have less than one week's experience with Tivo, but I can confirm this is currently possible. My kitchen TV is wall mounted, no exposed wires, cords, etc. I "nested" the Mini box inside the rails of the wall mount and secured with zip ties. The box is completely out of sight and hidden from view by the TV. There is no "line of sight" between the box and the remote. Standard remote that came with the Mini works perfectly.
DAF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAF54 View Post
I have less than one week's experience with Tivo, but I can confirm this is currently possible. My kitchen TV is wall mounted, no exposed wires, cords, etc. I "nested" the Mini box inside the rails of the wall mount and secured with zip ties. The box is completely out of sight and hidden from view by the TV. There is no "line of sight" between the box and the remote. Standard remote that came with the Mini works perfectly.
Same here, in both the kitchen and bedroom. Mini is hidden and its remote works fine.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
DEC2955

Quote:
How do I turn on the "RF" on the MINI? as I tried turning it on like I did for my other TIVO's and the "TIVO"+"D" did not work.. the system info window still shows the device as set up for 'IR'??

avid
Old 03-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I believe the Mini is IR only.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #8
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
How do I turn on the "RF" on the MINI? as I tried turning it on like I did for my other TIVO's and the "TIVO"+"D" did not work.. the system info window still shows the device as set up for 'IR'??

avid
The Mini's remote is IR. They're getting reflection off the wall behind the TV (or whatever) to reach the sensor.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #9
DigitalDawn

Yes, same here.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #10
Headford

Can operate Mini in RF mode with Slide Pro remote

If you purchase the Slide Pro Remote and specify that you are purchasing it for use with a Mini, the remote comes with a USB dongle cable that plugs into the Mini's back USB port.

With the dongle and Slide Pro Remote, the Mini can operate in both IR and FR modes.

Remember to select that you are buying the Slide Pro Remote for a Mini (otherwise the dongle cable won't be included).
Headford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:25 AM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

My wish list would be...

1) Built in RF and remote finder
2) MoCa bridging with gigabit Ethernet
3) Optical audio output
4) 1080p scaling
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #12
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
My wish list would be...

1) Built in RF and remote finder
2) MoCa bridging with gigabit Ethernet
3) Optical audio output
4) 1080p scaling
I really like these. Wish they'd give us MoCA bridging with today's hardware with a software update... However, what's the odds you think we'll see a v2 in the next 2-3 years? Given its relatively newness and the de-emphasis on new hardware. Myself, I had planned to wait for v2, but after the hardware team reduction, I figured it might be awhile and picked up a few more with the advisory panel promo.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:56 AM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

I remember reading a blog post from some hardware designed right after the Mini came out and he claimed that he designed the entire thing himself, so I'm not sure a reduction in staff on the design team is really an indication that there wont be a v2.

Personally I expect them to come out with a v2 if for no other reason then to reduce costs and make the style, and remote, more inline with the Roamio.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

So has a version 2 Mini been hinted at? I guess the original Mini has been out over a year now. If they come out with a new version I guess I will need to sell my version one Minis. I didn't even realize it had been so long since I purchased my Minis. Time flies.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:48 PM   #15
tarheelblue32

Built-in MoCA 2.0 would be nice to have in both the next generation Mini and the "Series 6" DVR.

While I would like to see many of these suggestions implemented, I really don't expect TiVo to come out with a "series 2" Mini for at least another 2 or 3 years, if ever.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 03-27-2014 at 12:52 AM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

I bet that if we see a v2 Mini it'll be virtually identical to the original just with slightly different styling to match the Roamio and maybe RF for the remote. I'm betting we're 2+ years away from a major hardware revision.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #17
TiVoJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
...I figured it might be awhile and picked up a few more with the advisory panel promo.
How did you "pickup a few" Minis with advisory panel promo? I tried at the time and they would only sell me one at the discounted price.
TiVoJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

I bought two using that promo. They were only $25/ea + lifetime. Although I also bought a Roamio, so maybe that's what made the difference?
Old 03-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #19
TiVoJimmy

Quote:
I bought two using that promo. They were only $25/ea + lifetime. Although I also bought a Roamio, so maybe that's what made the difference?
I tried the same thing. The rep would not sell me a second mini for $25.

The only difference is I bought the Roamio Pro and transferred my $6.95/mo service from an S2.
TiVoJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #20
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJimmy View Post
How did you "pickup a few" Minis with advisory panel promo? I tried at the time and they would only sell me one at the discounted price.
I got 5 at one time, no DVR purchase. I just updated the cart by changing the quantity after adding the first one. Guess online didn't have the restriction.

Last edited by jwbelcher : 03-29-2014 at 12:40 PM.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:54 AM   #21
DEC2955

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Do you know if this "IR" is ''Plasma Safe''??..
In other words would not mistake bright image on a plasma TV as a IR signal?

The reason I ask is.. I found that I had a USB powered IR system that came with a Windows media remote that I purchased for a system for a system project... but the power supply failed which caused a cascade failure for other parts of the system! ..and it works with the MINI but it is not plasma safe and every other commercial or explosion on TV the sensor flashes as if an IR command was received.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:56 AM   #22
DEC2955

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
I got 5 at one time, no DVR purchase. I just updated the cart by changing the quantity after adding the first one. Guess online didn't have the restriction.
Man could I use a second Mini.. but don't really have the $$ to make my wife happy!
Old 03-31-2014, 05:16 PM   #23
CloudAtlas

Quote:
I remember reading a blog post from some hardware designed right after the Mini came out and he claimed that he designed the entire thing himself, so I'm not sure a reduction in staff on the design team is really an indication that there wont be a v2.
Since TiVo uses off the shelf parts (Broadcom SoC, Zenverge transcoder, standard PC memory, HD, motherboard) and works with DVR manufacturer PACE to build them I don't see much need for hardware designers.

It's one thing if you're doing proprietary custom designs but that doesn't seem to be TiVo. TiVo is all about it's software.

Quote:
Personally I expect them to come out with a v2 if for no other reason then to reduce costs and make the style, and remote, more inline with the Roamio.
True. When unboxing a Mini I was surprised to see the same remote as the Premiere and not the Roamio. I really like the new Roamio's remote with its smaller size and rubber coated buttons. Makes the bigger remotes seem awkward and antiquated.
CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:02 PM   #24
DAF54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudAtlas View Post

True. When unboxing a Mini I was surprised to see the same remote as the Premiere and not the Roamio. I really like the new Roamio's remote with its smaller size and rubber coated buttons. Makes the bigger remotes seem awkward and antiquated.
Funny, my Roamio and Minis have the exact same remote.

Edit: I'm a moron. They aren't the same after all. Same shape, same buttons, same layout, but Roamio remote is about an inch smaller in length. Never mind.

Last edited by DAF54 : 03-31-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #25
aaronwt
HD Addict

I think the remote would be the entire reason to do a refresh of the Mini. Then they would include RF and an RF remote to match what the other TiVos they currently sell have.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #26
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Funny, my Roamio and Minis have the exact same remote.

Edit: I'm a moron. They aren't the same after all. Same shape, same buttons, same layout, but Roamio remote is about an inch smaller in length. Never mind.
Is the guide button in the same place?
Old 04-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #27
DAF54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Is the guide button in the same place?
Nope, hadn't caught that either. On Roamio it's at 6:00 position under top "wheel." On Mini, it's at 3:30 position.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #28
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Nope, hadn't caught that either. On Roamio it's at 6:00 position under top "wheel." On Mini, it's at 3:30 position.
The guide button is also larger.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:45 AM   #29
Dan203
Super Moderator

There is also a "Back" button on the Roamio remote that is useful for some of the applications. The Roamio remote also has the remote finder feature where it plays a little tune if you touch the remote icon on the front of the Roamio.

There is a USB dongle that comes with the Slide Pro that allows you to use the Slide Pro or the original Roamio remote with a Mini. It even has a little button on it for the remote finder feature. But currently it is only available with the Slide Pro.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:32 AM   #30
tarheelblue32

Quote:
There is a USB dongle that comes with the Slide Pro that allows you to use the Slide Pro or the original Roamio remote with a Mini. It even has a little button on it for the remote finder feature. But currently it is only available with the Slide Pro.
I wonder why they won't sell the dongle either separately or with the standard Roamio remote for people who want to use it with the Mini.