Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Sharknado 2!

Guess who's back for the sequel...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:49 AM   #2
Worf

Can someone explain to me who watched it? I mean, I tried to watch it - I got about 10 minutes in then hat to turn it off. I know people here seemed to enjoy mocking it.

But obviously there are plenty of people who enjoyed it and the million showings of it (thanks Shark Week) and probably bought the DVDs by the truckload...

Or is it something no one wants to admit to liking and watching?
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:34 AM   #3
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Can someone explain to me who watched it?
I'm not sure I watched it all, but I gave it a try.

Explanation:

Frequently in history there have been times in various arts when types (kinda like but not really genres) of works have been sincerely produced by artists, and then subsequently the underling principles of the type have proven so absurd that those sincerely produced works can be enjoyed as deviations or excesses, particularly when they have a self-consistent style that is wonderful to wallow in.

Parallel to that, there have also been inept artists in a variety of valid types who have through good fortune or perseverance or luck been able to get their works into a public awareness.

In the late 1950s/early 1960s a school of criticism developed proposing such works as "camp," so bad that they're really good. That was fine.

The Batman TV series in the late 1960s(?) was an example of an effort to artificially produce camp in a self-aware manner. It was an admitted total failure (in terms of camp intent) by the creative staff, but it was fairly successful commercially because it actually was cute in unintentional ways to a variety of non-camp-oriented viewers. People have been trying to repeat that success ever since. Early on it was discovered that you could do cheap crap and pretend it was "camp" (Batman had actually been a fairly classy production) and a reasonably-sized audience would fool themselves into thinking they were in on some trendy joke.

This went on for a long time, with some minor successes and lots of dreck.

Then the SF (or whatever) Channel thought they could mass produce sub-drek and fool a minuscule but marginally profitable audience into thinking that they were experiencing something fun. The degradation of that process continued to the extreme of Sharknado (maybe beyond camp and into some whole other phenomenon that will be better understood in a few decades) and Sharknado II was inevitable.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
MikeMar
Go Pats

I haven't seen the first one yet, but I LOVE movies that are so bad they are good!

The worst are movies that are bad but try to be good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
Big Deficit
Happy now?

You gotta love a movie where sharks jump the humans almost from the very start.

For a sequel? Zombienados vs Sharknados!!!!
Old 02-02-2014, 04:08 AM   #6
Worf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
I haven't seen the first one yet, but I LOVE movies that are so bad they are good!

The worst are movies that are bad but try to be good.
Sharknado happens to be the latter.

It's just... awful. Which is why I never understood why Sharknado II was announced about a week after Sharknado was broadcast and they said it was well received.

And given how often it was rebroadcast on multiple channels (it seemed everyone had shown it multiple times), I thought it must've been something good.

But 15 minutes in, I turned off the dreck.

I mean, every channel had it on, multiple times, it was the talk of the town everywhere I went... and yet, I couldn't find anyone who liked it. Just lots of talk.

Edit: It feels like one year-long April Fool's joke, to be honest. And really, I do like dreck - it seems a lot of movies people hate, I end up liking. I've generated an interpretation of movie ratings - 2-3 stars is a show I'd really like, 1 is dreck, 4-5 are too heavy for entertainment.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Sharknado happens to be the latter.
No. Sharknado was made specifically as camp. It never had any aspirations that it was a good movie.

The guys of MST3K, Cinematic Titanic, and Rifftrax made a career out of movies that were bad but tried to be good. One excellent example that Rifftrax recently did was "Birdemic: Shock and Terror." There is no indication that the creator of Birdemic, James Nguyen, set out to make a bad film, but that's what it ended up as.

Personally, films like "Sharknado" that deliberately set out to be cheesy, campy, schlock aren't enjoyable. It's the unintentionally bad that are hilarious. But - your mileage may vary. There are apparently a large number of people that reveled in Sharknado's blatant, deliberate over-the-top campiness.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
getreal
postcrastinator

Once was enough. Been there, done that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:41 AM   #9
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
No. Sharknado was made specifically as camp. It never had any aspirations that it was a good movie.

Agreed it is a movie that went well with adult beverages and vocal friends.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:52 AM   #10
Worf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Agreed it is a movie that went well with adult beverages and vocal friends.
Aaaahh.....

I guess step one was to imbibe a rather large quantity of adult beverages beforehand.

Never occurred to me - I'm a teetotaler.

The DVD should've had it on the box as a viewing suggestion.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #11
mr.unnatural

I probably would have loved watching this back in the sixties. For some reason, everything was funnier to me back then. I mean, how else can you explain the popularity of Firesign Theater?
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #12
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I probably would have loved watching this back in the sixties. For some reason, everything was funnier to me back then. I mean, how else can you explain the popularity of Firesign Theater?
...or Monty Python's Flying Circus...or Fawlty Towers...or....or....ANYTHING in the 60s

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #13
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
...or Monty Python's Flying Circus...or Fawlty Towers...or....or....ANYTHING in the 60s
Actually, I still like Monty Python and Fawlty Towers. Monty Python and the Holy Grail is still a classic and one of my all time favorites. Firesign Theater required you to have a certain mindset before you could sit down and listen to it, if you get my drift.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
That's blasphemy!!

Sharknado isn't entertainment, on any level, regardless of the amount of mind altering substances consumed.

Monty Python/Fawlty Towers stand up well if you're sober or under the influence.

There, I said it!

Short-cutting by looking for hot-button org names? Ho-hum....
BlueMerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #15
ElJay

Quote:
Can someone explain to me who watched it? I mean, I tried to watch it - I got about 10 minutes in then hat to turn it off. I know people here seemed to enjoy mocking it.
I half-watched it with a tablet computer in my hand for the water cooler aspect. It was definitely ridiculous and poorly made; I can't say I found it enjoyable. Intentional camp just doesn't work for me, though I do watch it sober so maybe that's the problem.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #16
nyc13

A kid I know wears a t-shirt that says "I Survived Sharknado". That explains the whole thing, really. People watch it as a challenge or dare to make it through the whole thing. Only some of us (including myself, here) succeed in that.
nyc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #17
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I TiVo'd it because of the buzz. But I haven't found it in me to actually watch it.

I suspect some day, when I'm in JUST the right mood, I'll give it a shot.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #18
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I TiVo'd it because of the buzz. But I haven't found it in me to actually watch it.

I suspect some day, when I'm in JUST the right mood, I'll give it a shot.
Yeah, I'm saving it up for when I'm hammered with some friends and put it on in the background while doing something else

Old 02-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
Yeah, I'm saving it up for when I'm hammered with some friends and put it on in the background while doing something else
Booze or heroin?
Old 02-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #20
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Booze or heroin?

Short-cutting by looking for hot-button org names? Ho-hum....
BlueMerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #21
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Booze or heroin?
Man I was I was in High School, both would be so easily available, I wouldn't be able to decide.

Since my heroin stash at home is gone, time to drink my booze!

Old 02-08-2014, 02:45 AM   #22
Worf

Dang, I think I just let it cycle off the hard drive for me.

Oh well.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #23
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
'Sharknado 2: The Second One' is coming with more sharks and no shame July 30th

Old 03-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #24
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

And for those who were curious what a Riffed version of the first one is like, RiffTrax is making it happen live in theaters July 10 (live) and 15 (taped repeat).

http://www.rifftrax.com/live
Old 03-30-2014, 03:02 AM   #25
Worf

I found the burning tumbleweed-nado that was on the news a couple of weeks back far more watchable.

(A Texas crew was doing a controlled burn when a sudden vortex opened up and started carrying tumbleweeds into the burn zone, resulting in a tornado full of burning tumbleweeds)
Old 03-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #26
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Quote:
I found the burning tumbleweed-nado that was on the news a couple of weeks back far more watchable.

(A Texas crew was doing a controlled burn when a sudden vortex opened up and started carrying tumbleweeds into the burn zone, resulting in a tornado full of burning tumbleweeds)
Benjy vortex?
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #27
Azlen

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcUnE0tHcaI

Don't know why they put in the guitar soundtrack though.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #28
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

I still have yet to watch the first one, but I think I want to do a viewing party for the second one (and possibly a rewatch prior).

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #29
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I never saw the first one. Until tonight. I went to see the Rifftrax riffed version of Sharknado 1... oh, holy hell was that bad. And utterly hilarious.

I take back what I said upthread about it not being enjoyable. This is now my second favorite Rifftrax, right after Birdemic: Shock and Horror.

If you haven't seen Sharknado 1, go and see the Rifftrax version of it. It replays in theaters next week, and it's worth every penny.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #30
NJChris
Moogs!

It's more fun when you have at least one other person there with you to laugh at the absurdity. If anyone goes into a movie like this expecting it to be good then I blame the viewer.
NJChris is offline   Reply With Quote