TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #61
Gary-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_Lord View Post
Anybody every get a true fix to this?

I am still experiencing this issue, I set the remote to RF mode and then maybe 15 minutes or so later the remote goes back to IR mode. A little frustrating as the IR control can be flaky sometimes because of where the TiVo sits.

-TL
Get the new slide remote or stick to IR. My original remote was (is) having this problem. Got the new slide and haven't had a problem since.
1 Tivo Mini
65" Samsung LED
75" Samsung
61 Terabytes Storage.
Popcorn Hour C-300
Gary-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #62
Time_Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary-B View Post
Get the new slide remote or stick to IR. My original remote was (is) having this problem. Got the new slide and haven't had a problem since.
I know this thread is getting dated, but...

Not sure why I need to purchase a slide remote to resolve what is most likely a software issue.

Of course TiVo's customer service doesn't have the word "bug" in their vocabulary and so far has sent me a new remote controller and has also RMA'd the Roamio plus.
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #63
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Are people having this problem with the slide remote or just the stock remote?

I never had an issue with a Premiere sitting in the same spot, using an "old" slide, although both of my "old" slides are now broken. Still, I'd probably pay $50 to resolve the problem.

OT, but it's also lame that the stock remote does not light up - definite downgrade from the Premieres that came with the Glo remote.
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #64
jmpage2

Quote:
I know this thread is getting dated, but...

Not sure why I need to purchase a slide remote to resolve what is most likely a software issue.

Of course TiVo's customer service doesn't have the word "bug" in their vocabulary and so far has sent me a new remote controller and has also RMA'd the Roamio plus.
Have you considered the possibility that something in your home is creating radio interference with the remote/roamio?
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #65
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Tivo certainly seems to be at least intimating it's an interference problem. I never had any issues with the old slide pro, although I know other people have.

So we're supposed to believe they designed a remote without considering the presence of WiFi? If that's what they did, that doesn't make it any better - it's not 1996.
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #66
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_j_derr View Post
Tivo certainly seems to be at least intimating it's an interference problem. I never had any issues with the old slide pro, although I know other people have.

So we're supposed to believe they designed a remote without considering the presence of WiFi? If that's what they did, that doesn't make it any better - it's not 1996.
Lots of other RF possibilities to consider, have you tried unplugging these briefly to maybe find the culprit?
  • Wireless phone
  • Wireless speakers (bluetooth or otherwise)
  • Cellular phone
  • Airplay
  • Alarm system (e.g., wireless window sensors)

ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:36 AM   #67
Time_Lord

Although the possibility exists that its an interference issue, I suspect its a software bug, most likely with the remote receiver on the Roamio.

I can confirm that the remote control DOES NOT transmit IR normally when it is in RF mode (exception when sending commands to the TV for volume/mute), you can confirm this yourself by taking a digital camera (cell phone works fine EXCEPT Apple products) and point the remote at the remote, you'll see the IR LEDs light up for the volume controls but not for other buttons when in RF mode. What I'll have to do is next time the problem shows up is see if the remote falls back to IR mode (I believe it does).

Part of the reason I say I don't believe its interference is because of how consistently the TiVo recovers from the RF failure, either point the remote directly at the TiVo and press any button, or press a button several times (4 or 5 times) on the remote and the Roamio will begin to respond again. If it was RF interference I'd expect the failure to last longer and not respond to the same recovery method consistently.

-TL
Old 02-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #68
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Although the possibility exists that its an interference issue, I suspect its a software bug, most likely with the remote receiver on the Roamio.
Part of the reason I say I don't believe its interference is because of how consistently the TiVo recovers from the RF failure, either point the remote directly at the TiVo and press any button, or press a button several times (4 or 5 times) on the remote and the Roamio will begin to respond again. If it was RF interference I'd expect the failure to last longer and not respond to the same recovery method consistently.
It can't be a pure software bug. There are thousands of Roamios out there now, all with the exact same software as you, and those folks are not seeing the problem.

What it can be, is interference that TiVo might be able to work around by making the software more robust to errors caused by interference.

The root cause has to be either interference, or hardware. I.e., there has to be something in your particular setup that is sparking the problem.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #69
Time_Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
It can't be a pure software bug. There are thousands of Roamios out there now, all with the exact same software as you, and those folks are not seeing the problem.

What it can be, is interference that TiVo might be able to work around by making the software more robust to errors caused by interference.

The root cause has to be either interference, or hardware. I.e., there has to be something in your particular setup that is sparking the problem.
Actually I'm more inclined to say software bug, I've now recreated the problem on 3 different units in my home, all in different areas. One of the units took some doing to recreate the problem since the TiVo is almost always in direct view of the remote control, I had to hide the remotes LEDs from the Roamio before the problem would show, and at that it shows up inconsistently.

To me it sounds like the remote and the TiVo loose sync and an IR command will trigger a resync automatically or after enough button presses in RF mode they will resync.

The nice things about bugs is you need to figure out what triggers them and not everybody is going to trigger the same bug.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #70
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
The nice things about bugs is you need to figure out what triggers them and not everybody is going to trigger the same bug.
I agree, and I claim that you've pretty conclusively proved that you have interference somewhere in or around your house triggering your bug.

I see no way that software can trigger your bug, and not trigger the bug on thousands of other Roamios with identical software. A TiVo is not like a desktop PC, where every PC is running at least a slightly different set of software. All TiVos that match your model are running a bit-for-bit identical set of software - there are no differences in the software. And 99% of users out there are not reporting the problem.

Your experimentation has shown the possibility of hardware differences causing your problems is very unlikely. That only leaves something in your environment affecting the TiVo. It's unlikely, though I suppose remotely possible, that it could be electrical power or too strong of a cable signal. The most likely cause is interference somewhere in the RF spectrum, and nothing you've shown argues against that.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #71
Time_Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I agree, and I claim that you've pretty conclusively proved that you have interference somewhere in or around your house triggering your bug.
If its some sort of (RF) interference in my home causing it then why allowing the TiVo a single IR command cause the RF communications to resume again? If it was some sort of RF interference then I wouldn't expect a single IR command to reliably cause the RF remote to resume *EVERY* time.

Also reading through other threads there appears to be mention from TiVo that they were aware of this problem, although there was mention that a fix was pushed out, do you think its possible that this fix was incomplete?

I have also found other users that have the same issue and have found that the same recovery method works for them.

Yes this is the definition of a bug.

-TL
Old 02-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #72
Neil Weinstock

Interestingly, my remote has the opposite problem: it insists on using RF, and won't stay in IR mode for more than a minute or two, if I'm lucky. The reason I want IR mode is so I can program the A-D buttons onto another learning remote.

I have an old Tivo remote that I was able to use to program all the rest of the buttons, but it doesn't have the A-D buttons.

Argh.
Neil Weinstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #73
jmbissell

Quote:
If its some sort of (RF) interference in my home causing it then why allowing the TiVo a single IR command cause the RF communications to resume again? If it was some sort of RF interference then I wouldn't expect a single IR command to reliably cause the RF remote to resume *EVERY* time.

Also reading through other threads there appears to be mention from TiVo that they were aware of this problem, although there was mention that a fix was pushed out, do you think its possible that this fix was incomplete?

I have also found other users that have the same issue and have found that the same recovery method works for them.

Yes this is the definition of a bug.

-TL
I have been having the same problem w/ my Roamio. TiVo sent me a new remote and I thought it was working OK but it quickly reverted to the same behavior. RF works for a few button presses but then shifts into IR mode. Sometimes I can get it back nto RF by turning the remote a certain way. I connect the Roamio on Ethernet and have Panasonic Dect 6.0+ cordless phones in use.

I don't what RF frequency TiVo is using but I can't believe they designed a remote to conflict w/ Wi-Fi or cordless phones. I hope it's a s/w problem that will get fixed at some point.
jmbissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #74
chrison600

I'll jump in here with a thought. My original Roamio remote exhibited the erratic RF/IR behavior (pressing buttons, yellow, yellow, red, yellow, yellow, yellow, red, red, red, orange (both), yellow, red, etc).

I contacted TiVo support and they sent another remote. Set it up, same behavior. Not related to distance, and no walls.

The only wireless device that's close to the TiVo is a wireless sub. Is this the possible culprit?

Chris
chrison600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #75
chrison600

I have confirmed that the sub is using the 2.4GHz band. Will this conflict with the Roamio radio?
chrison600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #76
Time_Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrison600 View Post
I have confirmed that the sub is using the 2.4GHz band. Will this conflict with the Roamio radio?
Dunno, I'm guessing the wireless remote is also in the 2.4GHz band so there is a chance that it will.

TiVo has since RMA'd my original Roamio and the problem still exists, no surprise, but now I have 2 spare remotes, the one they sent when I first called about the problem in hopes that it fixed the problem, and then the remote with the replacement TiVo, I kept that remote too since the return instructions said to only ship the DVR not the accessories.

I figure remotes tend to fail as they get older so now I have some spares. Not sure what i'm going to do with a spare power cord. :-)
Old 02-17-2014, 02:53 AM   #77
BigJimOutlaw

Yes the remote's working frequency range is around 2.4 GHz. Unplugging things one at a time that work at that frequency is an easy experiment.

Cordless phones, wifi router, wireless USB, bluetooth, baby monitor, garage opener, wireless cameras, Zigbee stuff, game console remotes, microwaves. Everybody uses 2.4 GHz. It is a really noisy space.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #78
Floridaman

I have the Roamio Pro DVR and the remote is horrible. It doesn't always respond unless you aim the remote directly to the DVR. The RF mode is activated and I am on my second remote now. Tivo sent a replacement and it exhibits the same behavior. The RF mode does work sometimes but not consistently. I have reset the DVR as well. I called Tivo last night and we reset the remote which didn't change the behavior. They are suggesting that the Pro unit might be defective and wanted to send me a replacement. I find it hard to believe the box would be defective as everything else works fine except for bugs in the software. I worked out a deal with Tivo to send me a slide remote in hopes this will work better than the factory remote. I also have a remote from my previous Premiere DVR and it works fine with the Roamio but doesn't have the RF function. I wanted to get some opinions from other users as to whether you think the remote is the problem or if I have a bad box.
Floridaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #79
Time_Lord

I too have the same RF issue, TiVo ended up replacing the Roamio and the problem has not been eliminated.

I actually have 2 Roamio's here and have reproduced the problem on both units.

Reading through some older posts it looks like there was some acknowledgement from TiVo that "some" users were experiencing issues and that a software update solved the issue. I contend that the fix drastically curtailed the problem but did not eliminate them.

On a side note the replacement unit doesn't seem to suffer as badly with the RF remote problem as the original unit did.

-TL

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #80
Floridaman

Quote:
I too have the same RF issue, TiVo ended up replacing the Roamio and the problem has not been eliminated.

I actually have 2 Roamio's here and have reproduced the problem on both units.

Reading through some older posts it looks like there was some acknowledgement from TiVo that "some" users were experiencing issues and that a software update solved the issue. I contend that the fix drastically curtailed the problem but did not eliminate them.

On a side note the replacement unit doesn't seem to suffer as badly with the RF remote problem as the original unit did.

-TL

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Just got off the phone with Tivo and they insist the box is bad. My fear is that I get a replacement and will have the same problem. Can you elaborate on your exact issues with the old one verses the new unit? How much of an improvement is the new unit over the old one? I have to believe that there is still a software glitch that affects some users. There has also been mention of a bad RF module in the box itself.

Thanks
Floridaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #81
Time_Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaman View Post
Just got off the phone with Tivo and they insist the box is bad. My fear is that I get a replacement and will have the same problem. Can you elaborate on your exact issues with the old one verses the new unit? How much of an improvement is the new unit over the old one? I have to believe that there is still a software glitch that affects some users. There has also been mention of a bad RF module in the box itself.

Thanks
The "new" unit does not appear to loose the RF signal as often, but when it does a single IR command to the Roamio restores the RF signal.

The good news is you'll now have a spare remote as TiVo only wants the old DVR returned back the return instructions say not to return any of the accessories, cables, or paperwork.

-TL
Old 03-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #82
gatorbait

I have had this problem off and on since August. After the remote screwed up last night and I could not get it to stop fast forwarding through the final 1 minute of the Arizona vs Wisconsin overtime I finally bought the slide remote today. I hope that provides a fix. Seems to be about the only idea that has produced some results. Crazy I have to spend $60 to get my Roamio to work.
gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #83
Mark Rubin

I have a similar story

my problem started when Tivo replaced my 1 month old Roamio Pro with a new one because of an unrelated problem: the new box resolved that problem but now I have the remote switching back and forth RF to IR issue: on all 3 remotes: it happens within 5 feet range from the Tivo: the room has plenty of potential interference sources including a WAP

but the original box was flawless with regard to RF remote control: so I traded one issue for another
Mark Rubin is offline   Reply With Quote