TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-28-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
bcfedee

Record 1 minute over endtime automatically?

Often I have Tivo record a show from the GUIDE. I click the show and tap record. Nice and simple, until I watch what was recorded. The show ended like 30 seconds after the official end time.

Is there a way to get Tivo to automatically record (pad) 1 minute of extra record time at the end of shows? Basically, everything I record I want padded with 1 minute before & after the official start time.
bcfedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

No. I've just gotten into the habit of going into the options and padding everything by 1 minute. I wish there were a default recording options section where you could setup the defaults for settings like these so you didn't have to enter them every time.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:45 AM   #3
bcfedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
No. I've just gotten into the habit of going into the options and padding everything by 1 minute. I wish there were a default recording options section where you could setup the defaults for settings like these so you didn't have to enter them every time.
Yeah. It is so annoying to always have to go into options. I always thought it was cool how you could just click Record and you're done. Not an option unfortunately when you need padding.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Quote:
+! `

I have VZ FIOS in north NJ and always need a 1 min. padding since all of FIOS broadcast (no matter what channel) ends 30 seconds later.

I would LOVE for an across the board +30 sec., +1min. , etc, etc. default selection in Recording Options Menu.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
bcfedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanTiVo View Post
+! `

I have VZ FIOS in north NJ and always need a 1 min. padding since all of FIOS broadcast (no matter what channel) ends 30 seconds later.

I would LOVE for an across the board +30 sec., +1min. , etc, etc. default selection in Recording Options Menu.
someone sent me a page where you can request this. Maybe if enough people send the request Tivo will update the software to support it: http://advisors.tivo.com/wix9/p2272893819.aspx

Seems like a setting could exist that would record 1 minute over all recordings end-time.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
midas
I heard that

The Directv DVRs automatically start early and end late as long as it doesn't cause a conflict. I believe it's 30 seconds early and 1 minute late. People have been requesting this from Tivo since the series 1.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
jollygrunt777

The time warner dvr has gotten a lot better at recording shows with odd start/end times. I still wish these dang broadcasters would stop doing the start early/end late thing.
jollygrunt777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #8
Bigg

Quote:
Same. I wish it was smarter about killing off padding as tuner conflicts started occurring as well. I can almost always accommodate everything if I remove padding on the rare occasion their appears to be a conflict.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:59 AM   #9
bcfedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Same. I wish it was smarter about killing off padding as tuner conflicts started occurring as well. I can almost always accommodate everything if I remove padding on the rare occasion their appears to be a conflict.
Tuner conflicts should be less of an issue now because some new Roamios have 6 tuners. Seems there should at least be a setting for automatic padding on Roamios.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #10
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfedee View Post
Tuner conflicts should be less of an issue now because some new Roamios have 6 tuners. Seems there should at least be a setting for automatic padding on Roamios.
True. But on my Premiere, we occasionally do have tuner conflicts.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:20 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
Though ironically, they finally made abutting recordings use the same tuner, which currently has a well known glitch.

Ironically since I agree that the more tuners lessens the need for sharing a tuner.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:41 AM   #12
bcfedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Though ironically, they finally made abutting recordings use the same tuner, which currently has a well known glitch.

Ironically since I agree that the more tuners lessens the need for sharing a tuner.
Yikes! Maybe I shouldn't get the Roamio. This sounds like a bad idea. My current Tivo uses a different tuner (far as I know).

Seems like auto-padding would eliminate this problem though. Since a show is being recorded over by a minute or so, another tuner would have to be used to start another recording on-time.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #13
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas View Post
The Directv DVRs automatically start early and end late as long as it doesn't cause a conflict. I believe it's 30 seconds early and 1 minute late. People have been requesting this from Tivo since the series 1.
This is called soft-padding. It's one of the few things I like better on my DirecTV DVR than my TiVos.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #14
mattack

Quote:
Yikes! Maybe I shouldn't get the Roamio. This sounds like a bad idea. My current Tivo uses a different tuner (far as I know).

Seems like auto-padding would eliminate this problem though. Since a show is being recorded over by a minute or so, another tuner would have to be used to start another recording on-time.
No, it's not a bad idea, IF it works properly. I tend to record a lot of network shows back to back, and for me, this _essentially_ doubles the number of tuners I have.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:59 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

Plus if they can get it to work right then they could automatically pad all shows and worry less about that padding causing a conflict.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanTiVo View Post
+! `

No issues here on FiOS. It's rare that the shows end late and I need padding. Now at my parents on Comcast, all their stuff seems to end late for some reason. Even when watching FiOS content remotely on my cellphone from Slingbox while at their house. I am still ahead of the shows they are watching on Comcast. For some reason their cable system has a long delay from the live broadcast.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #17
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
No issues here on FiOS. It's rare that the shows end late and I need padding. Now at my parents on Comcast, all their stuff seems to end late for some reason. Even when watching FiOS content remotely on my cellphone from Slingbox while at their house. I am still ahead of the shows they are watching on Comcast. For some reason their cable system has a long delay from the live broadcast.
I've seen cable systems that have huge delays from OTA. I'm talking 15-30 seconds (not sure exactly how much, but it was a LOT).
Old 04-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

Looks like they finally added an option for default recording settings...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=516208
Old 04-06-2014, 07:14 AM   #19
chrispitude

Quote:
Looks like they finally added an option for default recording settings...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=516208
Not a good idea to auto-pad EVERYTHING, at least until back-to-back recordings on the same tuner is implemented properly...
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #20
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
Not a good idea to auto-pad EVERYTHING, at least until back-to-back recordings on the same tuner is implemented properly...
However that's exactly what the OP asked for, and Tivo has delivered
With a Roamio Pro and 6 tuners I have no problem setting it up to give everything a 1 min auto-pad
Old 04-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #21
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
However that's exactly what the OP asked for, and Tivo has delivered
With a Roamio Pro and 6 tuners I have no problem setting it up to give everything a 1 min auto-pad
Me too. I've am pretty much doing that with everything since receiving my Roamio Pro. I don't anticipate having any conflicts, but it's only 2 of us who watch on it.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #22
tomhorsley

Anyone know if this setting also auto-pads suggestions? Nothing is more irritating than occasionally finding an interesting suggestion recorded then discovering that the last 30 seconds are missing :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #23
bcfedee

It sounds like the spring update delivered what people have been asking for.

Can anyone confirm that auto-padding is now an option? Does it work for all recordings, or only season passes? Sometimes I just click "Record" when I'm in the Guide and would appreciate an auto-pad for these instances. I'm looking thru shows in the Guide and clicking Record, Record, Record as I find shows. It's a pain having to go into options everytime to pad the beginning and end of each selection.

Sounds like the spring update also fixed the back-to-back tuner problem that people were complaining about. Anyone else get this impression as well?
Old 04-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #24
mattack

Read the other thread. Your defaults DO apply to one off recordings.

AFAIK, it does not apply to suggestions.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #25
enzo thecat

I have no such option. My menu looks like this..

Settings>
Recording>
Overlap Protection, Extend Live Recordings, Tivo Suggestions

"Extend Live Recording" is just a Yes/No option to remind me to add extra time.

Last edited by enzo thecat : 04-10-2014 at 05:07 PM.
enzo thecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #26
Dan203
Super Moderator

You have to wait until you're upgraded to the newest software.

If you enter your TiVo service number on this page....

http://www.tivo.com/priority_20_4_1

You should get it in a couple of days.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #27
bmgoodman

Any updates on the latest situation with padding? If all 6 of my tuners are finally now working (thanks for the FCC lighting a fire under Comcast), should I just pad everything by 1 minute? Are there still glitches?
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:44 AM   #28
Dan203
Super Moderator

They turned off the overlap thing so that conflicting recordings use two different tuners. They were having too many problems with it.