TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
bcfedee

Advice on whether to get Mini so Tivo isn't in cabinet

Hey Guys.

Gonna be picking up a Roamio. I have a cabinet the TV sits on. In the cabinet are all my components. It would save space and cut down on the HDD spinning noises of the Tivo if I had a Mini in the cabinet.

Good idea? I'd keep the Tivo in another room by my router. The goal is just to have a small device in the cabinet (instead of the bigger Tivo) and to have nothing making any noise in the cabinet (Tivo HDD can be heard somewhat). Space is at a premium.

Just wondering what you guys think, if the extra $250 (assuming lifetime subscript) is worth it or not. Or would all you guys save the money and just put up with having the Tivo in the cabinet below the TV? I would only be watching Tivo in the one room. There is no TV in the room with the router.
bcfedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
HenryFarpolo

Seems like a lot of money for little gain. The Roamio isn't noisy to begin with. Try it in the cabinet if you have the space.

You may find an less expensive alternative by putting the Roamio in the other room and experimenting with some kind remote extender.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
worachj

Roamio's have a combo IR & RF remote.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...kw/RF%20remote

RF mode: In radio frequency (RF) mode, the remote does not require a direct line of sight. Rather, the remote can control a DVR anywhere within a radius of approximately 30 feet.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
tarheelblue32

My old Time Warner DVR was very loud, but I have a Roamio Plus in my bedroom and it really doesn't make any noise. If you really do have a severe lack of space, the the mini could definitely save you there, but if you can fit the Roamio into the space I wouldn't bother getting a mini. Seems like an awful lot to pay for not very much gain.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
Finalrinse

I have a Roamio Pro, Premier XL4 and Mini. The Mini works well and everything but it's just not the same as having a full blown Roamio as your main device for primary viewing. I would not give that up and have a Mini as my main device. Once you have both you will understand. Plus, I can't hear my Roamio, its very quiet, much more so than any other TiVo I have owned, and like others have mentioned you get the benefit of RF control for the cabinet placement.

Last edited by Finalrinse : 03-28-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
bcfedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
Roamio's have a combo IR & RF remote.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...kw/RF%20remote

RF mode: In radio frequency (RF) mode, the remote does not require a direct line of sight. Rather, the remote can control a DVR anywhere within a radius of approximately 30 feet.
I should have mentioned in my OP, I use a universal remote that goes by RF. I don't use the Tivo remote because my universal works my whole system. In fact, my one complaint with the Tivo is that it does NOT come with an RF input port for such universal remote control setups.

Having an active hard drive does introduce electromagnetic noise to the RF realm at times. I have a high-end remote so it's rarely an issue, but it's still good to limit the interference as much as possible (ie., not have Tivo in the cabinet).

The room I would keep Tivo in is too far for me to run an HDMI cable to it, unfortuantely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalrinse View Post
I have a Roamio Pro, Premier XL4 and Mini. The Mini works well and everything but it's just not the same as having a full blown Roamio as your main device for primary viewing. I would not give that up and have a Mini as my main device. Once you have both you will understand. Plus, I can't hear my Roamio, its very quiet, much more so than any other TiVo I have owned, and like others have mentioned you get the benefit of RF control for the cabinet placement.
Wow. This is some great feedback guys. I'm thinking twice about getting the mini now. Thanks guys. Appreciate all you comments. Welcome more if you have them
Old 03-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #7
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfedee View Post
I should have mentioned in my OP, I use a universal remote that goes by RF. I don't use the Tivo remote because my universal works my whole system. In fact, my one complaint with the Tivo is that it does NOT come with an RF input port for such universal remote control setups.
The Mini is IR only. If you want to use RF with the Mini, you'd need some kind of RF USB adapter for it.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
bcfedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
The Mini is IR only. If you want to use RF with the Mini, you'd need some kind of RF USB adapter for it.
I use an RF basestation that communicates with my remote. My remote can basically clone all the features of the Mini remote and communicate with the basestation over RF. It allows me to have an RF remote for every single component I use. The system is made easier if the component has a built-in IR input port. See, the universal remote will send an RF signal to the basestation and the base station will send an IR command thru a wire plugged into the port in the back of the component.