TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question Can pyTivo run on Windows 7

I have pyTiVo running on some XP machines and feeding about 4 TiVos in my network. It works great for my needs. Seeing as XP support is getting totally shut off here in April, I was looking to maybe try and move pyTivo to some PCs running Windows 7. I thought I remember trying this a while back and didn't have total success. I didn't look into it much more since my XP machines were running fine at the time.

Can pyTivo run on a Windows 7 or Windows 8 machine? If so, is it a straight forward installation or is there maybe a special way of installing it?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I have pyTiVo running on some XP machines and feeding about 4 TiVos in my network. It works great for my needs. Seeing as XP support is getting totally shut off here in April, I was looking to maybe try and move pyTivo to some PCs running Windows 7. I thought I remember trying this a while back and didn't have total success. I didn't look into it much more since my XP machines were running fine at the time.

Can pyTivo run on a Windows 7 or Windows 8 machine? If so, is it a straight forward installation or is there maybe a special way of installing it?
Works fine on 7 for me, only thing is you need to make the exception for the firewall ports if you have the network firewall turned on. I don't know about 8 but I would expect it would be OK or otherwise there would have reports of such which I haven't heard personally.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Running fine on Win7 for years now.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Windows 7, 8, 8.1, yes. At the other end, it should run even on Windows 95. I haven't tested that, but there's someone here who runs it on 2000, for whatever reason. Plus OS X, Linux, whatever. There's very little OS-specific code in pyTivo, and nothing specific to individual versions of Windows.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Works fine on 7 for me, only thing is you need to make the exception for the firewall ports if you have the network firewall turned on.

How is this done within Windows 7?
Old 03-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
How is this done within Windows 7?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

/edit: pyTivo uses port 9032 by default.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #7
buscuitboy

OK, I got this working with no problems. I guess I was over analyzing it and its easier than I thought.

In the past, I have always had problems with pyTiVo and transferring .MKV files. I wonder if this was an XP thing and/or due to the processing power of an older PC. Anybody able to encode .MKV files without a problem with pyTivo? If so, what kind of PC is doing the transfers for you?