TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #61
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Okay, put me in the stupid column, but I am not tech inclined. I can do it if I can follow steps -

Walk me thru how to change my TiVo from the 780 to the 1080?

Also what is the bit with the up and down thumbs?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #62
davemcs

Has there been any word from the Tivo folks regarding when the next fix will be rolled out? Since they are pushing out Premieres to replace all the "broken" HD's, i have to figure this bug will be showing up on all of thise units shortly as well!
davemcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #63
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemcs View Post
Has there been any word from the Tivo folks regarding when the next fix will be rolled out? Since they are pushing out Premieres to replace all the "broken" HD's, i have to figure this bug will be showing up on all of thise units shortly as well!
Knock on wood, mine hasn't done it in a long time. Maybe they fixed it... Not that it was THAT big of a deal to cycle a couple of times to make it work right. Certainly a lot better than having to constantly dig through the menu for video settings. Especially since my school's women's team is really good, so I keep having to bounce from ESPN back to the CBS networks and back again...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #64
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemcs View Post
Margret told me this fix would be in the next release. This will likely be the spring release sometime in April/May.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #65
forum1
TiVo user since 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Not that it was THAT big of a deal to cycle a couple of times to make it work right.
I'm sure the same could be said for many things, but it sure is annoying, especially for the basic functions of an appliance type device that should just work.

To make matters worse, this morning I had to cold boot (remove and reapply power) one of my Premiere units because when it got into the black menu state none of the typical buttons (TiVo, Live TV, or Guide) caused the GUI to come back. The TiVo was acknowledging the button presses with the LED flash on the front panel and the error tone, the error tone being a problem. This was the first time, due to the blank GUI screen, that the unit was effectively unresponsive to a point where I had to reboot it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
Margret told me this fix would be in the next release. This will likely be the spring release sometime in April/May.
It seems like a long time to wait when this bug was introduced at least four months ago, if not longer. Aside from doing better initial quality assurance testing before release, I donít see why they canít issue a quick targeted fix for things like this. Are they changing the code so much that itís not easy to identify and back out the culprit?
forum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #66
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum1 View Post
To make matters worse, this morning I had to cold boot (remove and reapply power) one of my Premiere units because when it got into the black menu state none of the typical buttons (TiVo, Live TV, or Guide) caused the GUI to come back. The TiVo was acknowledging the button presses with the LED flash on the front panel and the error tone, the error tone being a problem. This was the first time, due to the blank GUI screen, that the unit was effectively unresponsive to a point where I had to reboot it.

It seems like a long time to wait when this bug was introduced at least four months ago, if not longer. Aside from doing better initial quality assurance testing before release, I donít see why they canít issue a quick targeted fix for things like this. Are they changing the code so much that itís not easy to identify and back out the culprit?
Did you try LiveTV followed by up arrow ? This places the tivo to display a video stream then changes the resolution ( which is the problem ).

Actually I found this problem in the first week during priority upgrade, but I could not get them to respond to the problem. It makes me wonder why they bother with phased roll outs.

They have been concentrating on Roamio. I have been living with 1080i only until they get around to fixing the problem.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #67
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
They have been concentrating on Roamio. I have been living with 1080i only until they get around to fixing the problem.
I went all-in on Roamios, and can say that I have to pick a fixed resolution, but can choose 1080p only, as opposed to 1080i being the ceiling on a Premiere.

I emailed TiVoMargret about some AV issues, and she asked if I had more than one output resolution selected. Given that there are threads on the matter for both platforms, it's obviously not some Premiere-only issue, and the rest of what she said would point to the coming release having a fix.

Admittedly, I went with Roamios in an attempt to feel like any problems I had would be addressed, or at least acknowledged. I felt like Roamio owners were the only priority. Now that I am one, I definitely feel less neglected. I don't feel that is right. But, if you want to feel like a valued customer, I can say that "going Roamio" worked for me.

I have Roamio problems, but they are quickly addressed, or at least acknowledged, and I'm hoping the "Spring Update" fixes the persisting ones, without adding too many new issues/bugs.

Since it's likely that Roamio will be the last hardware platform TiVo produces, and their MSO partners won't put up with persistent issues, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for TiVo to get around to older platforms' issues.

I'd go as far as to wonder if the only reason TiVo doesn't completely neglect Premiere owners, is that they have a few MSO partners that still use the Premiere platform.

I can say with 100% honesty, that the move to Roamio was worth it for the performance increase alone. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

The Premiere is like a hardware version of Windows Vista. It's still supported, and still gets updates, but there will never be an update that turns it into Windows 7... (I'd have said Windows ME (instead of Vista), if it still was supported).

If it wasn't for TiVoMargret, I'd have bailed on TiVo, and just went with whatever other option sucks the least. If we were to lose her, I'd be back to looking at other options...
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #68
Bigg

Quote:
I'm sure the same could be said for many things, but it sure is annoying, especially for the basic functions of an appliance type device that should just work.

Agreed. But cycling a couple of times is much better than having to change the output settings every time you want to go from CBS to ESPN (or any other 1080/720 switch).

Mine did that once, and I started playing a show from the iPad app, and then went to TiVo Central and it behaved.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:18 AM   #69
forum1
TiVo user since 2000

Quote:
Did you try LiveTV followed by up arrow ? This places the tivo to display a video stream then changes the resolution ( which is the problem ).
Unfortunately, since pressing Live TV was eliciting an error tone, I don't think the TiVo was getting to the point where the Up arrow would change the display resolution. Also, just as a point of clarification, once in full screen video you have to press the Up arrow twice, once to display the resolution banner and a second time to change it. Regardless, I know that if the GUI was on any of the menus it should have been on none of the buttons I pressed, including the arrow keys, should have elicited the error tone. The error tone was a new behavior, as previously when I got the blank screen I was still able to hear the confirmation tone as I blindly navigated through the GUI.

Quote:
Agreed. But cycling a couple of times is much better than having to change the output settings every time you want to go from CBS to ESPN (or any other 1080/720 switch).

Mine did that once, and I started playing a show from the iPad app, and then went to TiVo Central and it behaved.
Yeah. Until the most recent occurrence that workaround was my Band-Aid as well. I just didn’t want to downplay the severity of the issue. It’s good to find workarounds, but they shouldn’t be a pass for not fixing the underlying issue.

Thanks for the TiVo app suggestion. Since there is virtually no need for it in my household I don’t have the app setup. I may finally do so just to have another possible way of controlling the box in case it goes out to lunch again.

Last edited by forum1 : 03-30-2014 at 06:07 AM.
forum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #70
Bigg

Quote:
Yeah. Until the most recent occurrence that workaround was my Band-Aid as well. I just didnít want to downplay the severity of the issue. Itís good to find workarounds, but they shouldnít be a pass for not fixing the underlying issue.

Thanks for the TiVo app suggestion. Since there is virtually no need for it in my household I donít have the app setup. I may finally do so just to have another possible way of controlling the box in case it goes out to lunch again.
True. It definitely needs to be fixed.

I had the TiVo iPad app and didn't use it for a long time. Recently, I've started using it more and more, and it's GREAT. It's so easy to schedule stuff, far easier even than using a Mini (my Premiere XL4 is pretty slow). I've been using it for managing tuner conflicts a LOT during March Madness. The iPhone app is cool too, but the iPad app is just that much better, and they make pretty use of the additional screen space, and it looks great on the Retina display.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #71
jaydro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydro View Post
Just wanted to add--everyone is talking about the problem with the menu, but I believe this is affecting other outputs as well. I had previously reported that while I have all outputs selected (I prefer to let my AV receiver do all the conversions rather than my TiVo box) I was seeing Hulu being output upconverted to 1080i. I've since noticed that SD channels are sometimes being upconverted to 720p, despite my wish to have everything output native.
I am no longer seeing the black menu bug, but I'm still getting unwanted upconversion with the 20.4.1 update. It looks like their fix for all this was just some kind of kludge to me. I notice now that when I cycle through output settings with the up arrow that 1080i now comes before 720p....
jaydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #72
Debbie25

I have a Premiere and have my menu set back to the original look (not HD) and when my screen is black after watching a recording it is not all black.... Only the background is black instead of blue.

I'll have to see what my Res. is set to later tonight.

I have also been having other issues at well with Pixelization, but that is in another post.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #73
alanpgh

Set video on Tivo for 1080i & 1080p only,
That will likely solve the black screen problem. It did for me.

Good Luck!

Alan
alanpgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #74
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanpgh View Post

Good Luck!

Alan
Did you by chance mean 1080i (fixed) & 1080p/24 (passthrough) only, as the two?

While the 1080p (/60) is only available on Roamios, TiVoMarget has advised picking one "fixed" output, while the 1080p/24 (passthrough) is only used for OTT apps like Netflix (just to name one), and can be used "in addition to" the non-passthrough fixed modes, so long as everything involved (TiVo, cables, switches, AV Receivers, TV, etc) support it.

I know this is a Premiere thread, but the visitors and participants come from both platforms, or just might not notice the subforum location.

Just trying to avoid confusing the Roamio owners that might not know about, or remember, that the Premiere has 1080p/24, while the Roamio has 1080p/60 (fixed) and 1080p/24 (passthrough). Please don't take offense.

Edit/Add: I used to have Premieres, and now have three base Roamios. I wanted to use the new 1080p/60 (fixed) & 1080p/24 (passthrough), but found that I had to forget using 1080p/60 (fixed) and move my fixed to 1080i, and kept the /24 passthrough on for Netflix.

Still a few issues, but a heck of a lot better than when my fixed was 1080p/60, or when I had more than one fixed output set.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 04-09-2014 at 01:31 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #75
alanpgh

Yes, go with whatever Margret suggested.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Alan
alanpgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #76
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanpgh View Post

Good Luck!

Alan
720p channels will be output at 1080i, effectively making them 720i or half HD resolution... So you're taking a big quality hit just to work around the bug...
Old 04-13-2014, 01:39 AM   #77
Debbie25

I checked my Res. when I got home and it was already set on 1080i only.
I tried other settings like 720p only or all checked and still have the issues.
Software Ver. is 20.3.8
Old 04-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #78
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie25 View Post
I have a Premiere and have my menu set back to the original look (not HD) and when my screen is black after watching a recording it is not all black.... Only the background is black instead of blue.

I'll have to see what my Res. is set to later tonight.

I have also been having other issues at well with Pixelization, but that is in another post.
The older non-HD menus use a video file to display their background. Your had disk is likely dying and you have lost your some files from your system and other are corrupt causing pixelation.

I suggest running kickstart 54 then 57.

see...

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php
Old 04-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #79
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
720p channels will be output at 1080i, effectively making them 720i or half HD resolution... So you're taking a big quality hit just to work around the bug...
No, you're not losing anything. There is no pic difference on my 46" Panny 1080p plasma using either native or fixed 1080, and running fixed avoids all the sync delays too.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #80
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
No, you're not losing anything. There is no pic difference on my 46" Panny 1080p plasma using either native or fixed 1080, and running fixed avoids all the sync delays too.
There absolutely is. You're losing half of the data if you go 1080i>720p>1080p or 720p>1080i>1080p. You can process it a lot to make it look *close* to what it should look like, but it's still a lossy process. That's why I feed native from my XL4 to my DVDO EDGE, which does the 720p>1080p or 1080i>1080p conversion before sending a 1080p signal to my TV.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #81
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

I said visible difference, not what you might think matters.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #82
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I said visible difference, not what you might think matters.
Yeah. When you can already see a bunch of artifcating from MPEG-2 compression, and the effects of being a lower resolution (720p60) or interlaced (1080i60) source, you don't want to degrade the picture quality any more.

Last edited by Bigg : 04-17-2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Clearer wording