TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 138 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #991
andyf

I think GriffithStrife's contact is getting tired of updating CCs. I asked him if he could get the CC in my XL4 updated. He said he's Emailed twice now but still no update.

I get an occasional V53 on the XL4 which has totally disappeared along with V58 errors on my Roamio after the update. The CC update seems to be the holy grail of TiVo tuning problems.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #992
Ibanez

If anyone in the Houston area still has the contact info. for the representative at comcast_cares that was able to get their cable card updated, could you please PM it to me. I keep getting the same representative that says she can only send out a technician. Thanks.
Ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #993
djev

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
If the CableCARD in your Roamio does not support 6 tuners, here is how to reduce the number of tuners Roamio will use:

Go to Settings > Channels > Channel List
and enter one of the following number sequences using the number buttons on the remote. This will tell Roamio the how many tuners it can use.
- 88633 = use 3 tuners
- 88634 = use 4 tuners
- 88635 = use 5 tuners
- 88636 = use 6 tuners

You should hear some "Thumbs Up" dings confirming the number of tuners Roamio will use.
Does this still work? I tried setting it for 5 tuners but I didn't hear any dings.

Charter keeps insisting they cannot push out a FW upgrade.
djev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #994
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by djev View Post
Does this still work? I tried setting it for 5 tuners but I didn't hear any dings.

Charter keeps insisting they cannot push out a FW upgrade.
I just used "88634" and I heard 3 dings. I'm going this because my wife's Hallmark channel recording failed because the channel wasn't "authorized" on Saturday night, which I *suspect* is related to the 5/6 tuner problem. I rebooted and found Hallmark HD did return.

I wonder when Comcast will make some real progress on this?
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #995
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
I just used "88634" and I heard 3 dings. I'm going this because my wife's Hallmark channel recording failed because the channel wasn't "authorized" on Saturday night, which I *suspect* is related to the 5/6 tuner problem. I rebooted and found Hallmark HD did return.

I wonder when Comcast will make some real progress on this?
I had a voicemail today from Comcast Executive Customer Relations Office (area code 410) telling me that Comcast has *no* CableCard upgrades, period. She said my information about case-by-case or any other upgrades is incorrect!

My CableCards (Tivo HD and Roamio Pro) are both PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001, and I have Comcast in Alexandria, VA.

So for now I'd like to find anyone else with Comcast in northern VA or southern Maryland who has a version other than PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001, so that I have some data points for them.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #996
pcallies

I sent email to the comcast customer care support address referenced in this email thread. It took a couple days of email and voicemail tag (just a simple problem of schedules not aligning), but late yesterday I received an email that the executive service rep had sent my request to engineering. I received another email today that engineering had pushed the firmware update to my cablecard.

Upon testing after arriving home from work, some channels (e.g. HBO) weren't working so I called the comcast cable card hotline. They verified the pairing and then sent a refresh signal. All channels are now working.

Hopefully I'll have the same great results others on this thread have experiences. Watching missed recordings on xfinity on-demand with all the commercials and no fast-forward has been brutal.

Thanks to all on this thread for leading the way! And thanks to Comcast Customer Care.

Last edited by pcallies : 03-26-2014 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Added additional thanks to Comcast
pcallies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #997
mchief
Morey

bmgoodman: I am in Alexandria and was updated a few weeks ago to 1.5.3 f.p 1101 after a number of phone calls with John Stumpf (Executive team). As usual the left hard does not know what the right hand is doing. PM me for more info
Old 03-27-2014, 07:06 AM   #998
mike-d

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
I had a voicemail today from Comcast Executive Customer Relations Office (area code 410) telling me that Comcast has *no* CableCard upgrades, period. She said my information about case-by-case or any other upgrades is incorrect!

My CableCards (Tivo HD and Roamio Pro) are both PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001, and I have Comcast in Alexandria, VA.

So for now I'd like to find anyone else with Comcast in northern VA or southern Maryland who has a version other than PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001, so that I have some data points for them.
Your comcast rep is wrong: Here is my prior post: After so many attempts for a cable card firmware update using regular channels, I finally yesterday emailed To : comcastcares_support@comcast.com with details. Today I received a call, 30 minutes later my cable card was updated to firmware 1.5.3 1101. I have reset my tivo to 6 tuners and so far, ok... :-) They say they are pushing out the update in waves in my region, westminster, md, but scheduled mine special today.
mike-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:13 AM   #999
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-d View Post
Your comcast rep is wrong: Here is my prior post: After so many attempts for a cable card firmware update using regular channels, I finally yesterday emailed To : comcastcares_support@comcast.com with details. Today I received a call, 30 minutes later my cable card was updated to firmware 1.5.3 1101. I have reset my tivo to 6 tuners and so far, ok... :-) They say they are pushing out the update in waves in my region, westminster, md, but scheduled mine special today.
I did use comcastcares_support@comcast.com. That's how I got the fast response. From the voicemail, I think the rep misunderstood what I was asking. She might have thought I was asking about an "upgraded CableCard" as in a newer model. She never used the word "firmware". But I still have to call back and try to convince her.

Thanks for posting!
Old 03-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #1000
andyf

Just wanted to post an update. Got the 1.5.3.1101 on Feb 5th thanks to GriffithStrife. Since that time tuning has been perfect on all 6 tuners.

Last week I started getting multiple V58 errors on the premium channels. I was wondering if Comcast was messing around trying to get Xfinity VOD working so I left it alone. Still getting the V58 errors the next day. I rebooted the Roamio and all has been fine since.

So it's possible the card can get into a weird state after a period of time but a reboot does seem to fix it.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #1001
Speed13b
Speed

Charter cablecard upgrade!

Posted in a Charter forum also...

After two months of banging my head against the wall with Charter customer support attempting to get a firmware update for my Roamio Plus, I finally had enough and filed an FCC complaint last week. I wasn't sure what would happen, but yesterday I received a phone call from Charter corporate telling me they have the complaint and one of the reps from my local office (Central Massachusetts) would call to address the issue. Later that day, the rep called and let me know they'd be in touch with me the next day to attempt a fix.

Today they called, told me they were ready to update the firmware, and asked that I turn the TV on to let them know if the "cable card firmware updating" banner appeared. It did, the card started updating. The rep told me it should take about 10 minutes and that they would call back to check on status. 10 minutes later, the update completed and I was able to assess the changes. I enabled all 6 tuners and whaddya know...they all worked! The firmware version of the card is PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101, build date June 06 2013.

Charter called back and confirmed all was well, the Massachusetts folks were outstanding throughout...if you can get the local tech reps to help with these it'll make a big difference.

The rep stated firmware upgrades would be rolling out in a few months but they did mine today, first one they had pushed (based on the complaint of course).

Bottom line...6 tuners all work and Charter CAN push this update.
Speed13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #1002
pshivers
Retired!

That is excellent news to hear! I'm in Southern California where Charter just completed it's All Digital conversion 3 days ago.
I've been running with 5 tuners only on my Roamio Pro because of outdated firmware that no one at Charter seems to know how to up date.

Can you provide as some info on where at what you included in your FCC complaint?
Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

pshivers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:42 AM   #1003
Speed13b
Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
That is excellent news to hear! I'm in Southern California where Charter just completed it's All Digital conversion 3 days ago.
I've been running with 5 tuners only on my Roamio Pro because of outdated firmware that no one at Charter seems to know how to up date.

Can you provide as some info on where at what you included in your FCC complaint?
You can submit the complaint at http://www.fcc.gov/complaints. One of the complaint types is broadcast tv/cable/satellite issues and within that section there's a cable card issue selection.

I just laid out the problem...the Tivo supports 6 tuners, I have a Cisco cable card, yet my cable company has not upgraded the firmware to support 6 tuners. I copied/pasted the min requirements for 6 tuners from Tivo (via their support page) and also put what firmware version I was running.

I got a call from Charter within 1 week of submitting, not knowing what to expect I was surprised at how quickly this happened. The local folks called me quite a few times while working to schedule the fix.

Unrelated question...with your all-digital conversion complete, do you still need a tuning adapter?

Hope this helps!
Old 03-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #1004
pshivers
Retired!

Thanks for the information, that is what I needed to know!

The TA is still required after the All Digital conversion here in SoCal... I have read that Charter is working toward eliminating the TA's, but nothing official from Charter yet.

Update:
FCC Complaint Filed!

Quote:
FCC Submission Confirmation: 2000E
Acknowledgement of Submission from William Shivers on 03/29/2014, reference number 14-C00572504.
Thank you for your information. The FCC will contact you if additional information is required. Please keep this information for future reference.
ATTENTION: When submitting additional information using this FCC Submission Confirmation sheet, please attach only one unsolicited fax advertisement (or multiple advertisements from the same sender) that matches your complaint number and carrier company named in this complaint. DO NOT include multiple unsolicited faxes from different senders with this unique case number. Your complaint is subject to be rejected, if more than one unsolicited fax advertisement from different senders accompanies this FCC Submission Confirmation sheet.
Please use this page as a Fax Cover Sheet when faxing additional details to the FCC at (866) 418-0232.

Charter CableCard Firmware Updated to PKEY_1.5.3_F.p.1101 All 6 tuners are now Active and Working!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Last edited by pshivers : 03-29-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #1005
Speed13b
Speed

Good luck!

After 2 days of use with the new firmware the Roamio seems stable and is receiving on all tuners...I haven't had anything not record, but haven't stressed it yet. When I have time I'll record encrypted channels on all tuners and see what happens, but so far so good with the new firmware.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #1006
pshivers
Retired!

In my experience, failures can take as little as a few hours to as much as week to show up, can make confirmation of a fix a bit frustrating... Sounds like you are in the clear now as the 153.1101 fix seems to be the final answer to this ongoing nagging problem.
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Old 03-31-2014, 02:14 PM   #1007
dramsey

Sigh. I have a new Motorola Cablecard, firmware 6.25, and still can only use two tuners on my new Roamio Plus. Tivo Chat suggested it could be a tuning adapter issue. Anyone seen anything like that?
dramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:40 PM   #1008
dramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramsey View Post
Sigh. I have a new Motorola Cablecard, firmware 6.25, and still can only use two tuners on my new Roamio Plus. Tivo Chat suggested it could be a tuning adapter issue. Anyone seen anything like that?
Never mind. Power-cycling the tuning adapter cured it. All six tuners working now.
dramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:14 PM   #1009
pshivers
Retired!

OK that was weird. Been running with 5 active tuners for several months,noticed I wasn't able to tune NBC tonight and discovered all 6 tuners were active?
Set the codes to 5 tuners again and am receiving as expected again. I did have to unplug the TiVo yesterday am as nothing was showing on the screen but the TiVo was blinking when I used the remote... Weird...
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Old 04-04-2014, 12:09 AM   #1010
pshivers
Retired!

Update on my FCC complaint filed last Saturday:

Sometime since yesterday (04/02/2014) the firmware on one of my Charter Cisco CableCards was upgraded from PKEY1.5.2_F.p.1601 to PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101 Yeah!

Unfortunately Charter upgraded the cablecard that is in my 4 tuner Roamio, and not my 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Doh!

I had to call Charter Tech support after the upgrade as all channels were no longer authorized on the upgraded cable card. Charter Support had no idea who or how the firmware upgrade occurred or who to contact to upgrade the firmware on the cablecard that needs the upgrade.... They claimed there was no record of any activity on my account, yet I got the Firmware upgrade...

At least I know that someone at Charter in Southern California has the PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101 firmware upgrade and is able to push it, just no one in tech support knows who the "Masked Man" is....

Apparently filing an FCC complaint does trigger some sort of action with Charter. It would have been nice if Charter had contacted me when they decided to push the firmware upgrade. I could have verified the correct box was receiving the update and notified them that all channels were no longer authorized, something I would think they would like to know about if they are planning a larger scale roll out of PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101 in the future. I could have also thanked them for their help!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Last edited by pshivers : 04-04-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #1011
DigitalDawn

I would switch cable cards between the two machines.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #1012
pshivers
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
Yes, that is my thought also now that the updated card seems to fully authorized and functioning! I guess I'll need to contact Tech Support again to re-pair the cablecards to their new homes. I'll wait till after the weekend just in case Charter magically updates the other card...
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Last edited by pshivers : 04-04-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #1013
tivohaydon

Anyone having success on Cablevision? A family member has a Roamio and getting frequent V53/58 errors with failed recordings. According to everything I've read here the firmware is up to date with something that supports 5/6 tuners and I signed up the Roamio for early access to the spring update. I was hopeful that the spring update would contain some fixes but nothing seems to have improved.
tivohaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #1014
TivoQueensDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivohaydon View Post
Anyone having success on Cablevision? A family member has a Roamio and getting frequent V53/58 errors with failed recordings. According to everything I've read here the firmware is up to date with something that supports 5/6 tuners and I signed up the Roamio for early access to the spring update. I was hopeful that the spring update would contain some fixes but nothing seems to have improved.
I have Cablevision and had not had any issues using 6 tuners in a while.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Toshiba RS-TX20 (Retired after Tivo abandoned software updates)

Tivo Roamio Pro (lifetime)
Tivo Mini (lifetime)
TivoQueensDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #1015
djev

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post

That is exactly what I did, we have four CC and they upgraded two, neither was in a Roamio....
Old 04-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #1016
pshivers
Retired!

Any tips on swapping the CC's? Swap them first then call Charter??
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)

Old 04-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #1017
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivohaydon View Post
Still working great for me as well, all 6 tuners work fine.

Even though the update was rolled out to everyone, you should still check the software version on the card, as it is possible it failed to updated.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #1018
tivohaydon

Thanks for the Cablevision feedback folks. I didn't see Cablevision commenters here for a while so I assumed things were fixed but wanted to double check.

The CableCard firmware is the correct version so I'm guessing it's either the CableCard itself or the signal. We'll see.
tivohaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #1019
djev

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
Any tips on swapping the CC's? Swap them first then call Charter??
Check this out http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=515928 it goes through exactly what happened with mine and what I did to solve it. Just to note, I haven't had any problems since and the 803 cards have still not updated. I took pictures of all cards so I had all the numbers handy when they asked.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #1020
pshivers
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djev View Post
Check this out http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=515928 it goes through exactly what happened with mine and what I did to solve it. Just to note, I haven't had any problems since and the 803 cards have still not updated. I took pictures of all cards so I had all the numbers handy when they asked.
Thanks! That is exactly what I just did, the pictures came in handy while talking to Charter!

The cards are swapped and activated, it took less than 15 minutes! I have punched in the 6 Tuner code for my Roamio Pro and rebooted the box. Verified that all 6 tuners are receiving and recording, now it's just a matter of waiting for it to fail or not to fail! I've gone as long as 6 days in past before I noticed any 6 tuner failures and as little as 3 hours. But I have a real good feeling my 6 tuners not authorized problems are now a thing of the past!

I did talk to my Charter Tech Guy today, it seems Charter just received a large order of NEW Cisco CableCards that come with firmware PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101 already installed. He is seeing zero problems on 6 tuner Roamios with these new cards, (Duh, Imagine that?! -lol-)

I'll post again in about a week and report how things are progressing!
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Mini (x3)