TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
NJRonbo

Help: Tivo Premier gets completely sluggish before having to reboot it

Gave my 2-year old Tivo Premier to my Mother.

She uses it for hours, every day, recording her favorite news and cooking shows.

Lately, over the past few months, there have been times when navigation has become more than just sluggish -- it comes to a complete crawl. Enter a remote command and the screen just hangs for seconds before executing it.

Each time I have had to unplug the Tivo and reboot it, where the navigation speed returns to normal.

....but what is causing this sluggishness?

The hard drive is not full. Recording capacity is under 20% despite the fact she records everything under the sun.

I can tell you that, as an old retired lady, she sits in front of that Tivo unit for 7-8 hours a day. That Tivo gets a lot of use.

Appreciate any suggestions as to what the problem can be and if others are experiencing it too.
NJRonbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

I'm wondering if her drive is having some issues. You can test outside of the box, try a kickstart, or put in a new drive. It could also be her internet having a hiccup, is she on ethernet or using some wireless dongle?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
NJRonbo

Thanks for the reply.

Have no idea about how to do Kickstart commands or what they mean.

Don't think it's an Internet issue as it's all in the navigation, just going from screen to screen where it just c-r-a-w-l-s. She is using a wireless dongle, but in an area that has a very strong signal.

Hard Drive? Could be. The unit has been put through some heavy paces.

Thanks again
NJRonbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

slow/problematic internet connectivity on a tivo slows down everything in the OS, especially screen changes and scrolling. I'm now guessing wireless interference as issue #1 to investigate, try changing the wireless channel or running a wire temporarily to see if it impacts.

Kickstarts- just search the site.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Have no idea about how to do Kickstart commands or what they mean.

Don't think it's an Internet issue as it's all in the navigation, just going from screen to screen where it just c-r-a-w-l-s. She is using a wireless dongle, but in an area that has a very strong signal.

Hard Drive? Could be. The unit has been put through some heavy paces.

Thanks again
Probably better to boot a PC with a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD and the drive hooked up to it (unless it's a GigaByte brand motherboard, then special precautions are needed), then select the diagnostic software for that brand of hard drive and run the manufacturer's long test than to mess around with KickStart codes.

Note that I did not say boot into Windows with the drive hooked up.

And it was only beginning with that model (the Premiere) that you needed an internet connection just so the TiVo would function.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote