TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2014, 05:16 AM   #61
BankZ

Is this still actively under development? Would people recommend this over kmttg for the mac? Can you delete shows with this?
BankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:44 AM   #62
chmedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannebil View Post
It doesn't skip the commercials by cutting them out. Instead, it adds chapter marks at the beginning and end of each group of commercials. You have to do an "advance to the next chapter" when commercials start. The way that works is device dependent. On an Apple TV, you hit down-arrow and a scrub bar will appear at the bottom showing the chapter marks. Hit a right-arrow to go the the next chapter or a left-arrow to go to the previous one.

My experience is that comskip works about 95% of the time and, when it works, I almost always find the chapter marks are in the right place.
I'm not having much luck. Been trying to get comskip and the handbrake formats to create chapter marks and most of the time the resulting file is just one chapter. And even if it did work, I'm hoping to stream my shows back to my tv with a chromecast which will likely require dlna streaming and dlna doesn't really support chapters. So, I'm a bit stuck at the moment. I'm curious if there is a way to modify the h.264 formats that come in ctivo to encode with different audio settings. Does anyone have a custom format they might be willing to share? Is there an online repository of custom ctivo formats?
chmedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #63
javabird

Is anyone else having trouble with Audio synch issues? cTivo worked perfectly for me until I upgraded to a new MacBook Pro (OS 10.9.2). Now having synch issues, especially on PBS channel. Have tried using both AppleTV and Handbrake settings.

Last edited by javabird : 03-25-2014 at 07:41 AM. Reason: typo
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:49 AM   #64
tannebil

I'm not aware of any options for actually cutting commercials in OS X but have not looked that closely since cTiVo chapter stops are exactly what I want. My guess is that you'd need to integrate something from Windows into your process using a virtual machine. I've used VideoRedo quite a bit on Windows and it works pretty well. On all the programs that actually cut the commercials, you've got to be willing to accept that on occasion, you are going to lose some of the material as well. No auto detect program is going to be 100%.

Are your programs SD or HD? I've found the commercial marking to work much better with HD shows.
tannebil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:57 AM   #65
tannebil

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird View Post
Is anyone else having trouble with Audio synch issues? cTivo worked perfectly for me until I upgraded to a new MacBook Pro (OS 10.9.2). Now having synch issues, especially on PBS channel. Have tried using both AppleTV and Handbrake settings.
Have you tried downloading the native file and manually ripping it in Handbrake? If the native file doesn't have the problem and the Handbrake rip does, you can get some help over on the Handbrake forums. Make sure you read about the problem submittal process on the HB forums. They can be a little prickly if you don't submit all the required information in the your post.

If it's happening with both Handbrake and the other encoder option, it sounds more like an OS X configuration problem.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #66
javabird

Quote:
Have you tried downloading the native file and manually ripping it in Handbrake? If the native file doesn't have the problem and the Handbrake rip does, you can get some help over on the Handbrake forums. Make sure you read about the problem submittal process on the HB forums. They can be a little prickly if you don't submit all the required information in the your post.

If it's happening with both Handbrake and the other encoder option, it sounds more like an OS X configuration problem.
That's a great idea. I will try that.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #67
chmedly

HD television shows mostly. What I'm working with now is:
A) itivo on a snow leopard computer (osX 10.6.8) since itivo has the decrypt/copy option
B) manually convert with handbrake (still experimenting if this is necessary)
C) serve with plex media server
D) plex android app on my handset for control
E) Chromecast back to my TV setup

This seems like it will work but I'm finding that my 10.6.8 computer doesn't seem to hold up to the on the fly transcoding (Plex transcodes for the sake of Chromecast compatibility). During my tests so far it pauses every once in awhile during the show. I'm experimenting with different handbrake options to find something that works well. I do think I'll eventually want to move to the latest os (10.9) so I wish that ctivo had a decrypt option that would cut commercials like the old itivo does.
chmedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:29 AM   #68
tannebil

A Snow Leopard machine is going to be a tough row to hoe. cTiVo seems to like fast hardware and support teams like more recent software. I updated my 2011 dual core Mini to a 2012 quad core Mini and reliability improved dramatically.

You might be able to tweak cTiVo to leave a comskip "cut" file that you can use to cut the file. Use cTiVo to do the download and build your own process to mark and cut the commercials. Comskip can be extracted easily enough from the cTiVo package if trying to hack it in cTiVo gets too ugly.

It feel like you are trying to do things the hard way. If you are not targeting the Apple ecosystem, maybe you should just drop $400 on a Windows box that will run circles around a Snow Leopard era Mac. There are lots more tools available in Windows to do what you want. cTiVo is a great solution if you want something that "just works" but you have greater ambitions. I had a solid Windows process that I abandoned for cTiVo because I got tired of the support work and wanted to get out of Windows but it was faster and more flexible than cTiVo will ever be.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #69
javabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird View Post
That's a great idea. I will try that.

The audio was out of synch in the decrypted file - checked a few other PBS downloads and it seems it's a problem with that station especially.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #70
rjgibson0066

Any ideas why my Tivo is listed in cTivo but none of my recorded shows are?

rjgibson0066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #71
tannebil

Never heard of that problem before. Have you looked in the log files? Try increasing the logging level and restarting cTiVo.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:10 PM   #72
tannebil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankZ View Post
Is this still actively under development? Would people recommend this over kmttg for the mac? Can you delete shows with this?
AKAIK, the developers are still working on it. It went through a busy six month period getting to a solid release but there hasn't been an update since last July. It's quite stable and reliable (at least for me) so the lack of recent activity has not been an issue. There are things that don't work for people and there's some give and take over in the code repository.

https://code.google.com/p/ctivo/

I used kmttg a bit and it worked OK. Lots of options and fiddly bits for people that enjoy that sort of thing. cTiVo is more a "just works" kind of program. If it does what you want, it's great. If you want to do something a bit different, it's not as flexible. I think most of the kmttg activity is in Windows rather than OS X.

I'm not aware of any way to delete shows off a TiVo with cTiVo or any other PC/Mac program.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #73
jrs1968

Any way to boost volume?

Hi-

Is there any way to boost the volume with cTivo? I was watching a couple of transferred shows on the airplane and I had to have the volume maxed out to even hear anything.
jrs1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #74
tannebil

You can try creating a custom Handbrake encode and tweaking the setting for dynamic range and/or gain.

-D, --drc <float> Apply extra dynamic range compression to the audio,
making soft sounds louder. Range is 1.0 to 4.0
(too loud), with 1.5 - 2.5 being a useful range.
Separated by commas for more than one audio track.
--gain <float> Amplify or attenuate audio before encoding. Does
NOT work with audio passthru (copy). Values are in
dB. Negative values attenuate, positive values
amplify. A 1 dB difference is barely audible.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #75
jrs1968

yeah, but won't that break comskip?
jrs1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #76
tannebil

No. Comskip works fine with Handbrake encodes.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #77
mackworth

@chemedly. My apologies and thanks to tannebil for his help; I haven't been getting notifications of messages here, so just happened to check today. To answer several of your questions:

1) AFAIK, mencoder does not handle 5.1 transfer, but I'm not an expert. If you find out differently on their sites, you can easily add a cTiVo format that will provide whatever command line they need. Let us know and we'll add it to the core formats as well.

2) Handbrake cannot take a SRT file and cut the file for you, as mencoder can. Unlike that video editing, cTiVo itself optionally adds the commercial mark track after conversion for any MP4 file. I agree with tannebil that process is much better than cutting, as any mistakes by comskip are a problem that can't be fixed after cutting.

3) Telling cTiVo that Handbrake can skip commercials only causes the command line options to Handbrake, it won't actually get it to do it.

4) No need to pause the queue, just select the skip option in either Preferences or the menu to get it to apply that option to all future selections.

Finally, "if there is a way to modify the h.264 formats that come in ctivo to encode with different audio settings". Yes, you should be able to use any of the encoders with any command settings you want; however, we cTiVo developers are NOT experts on those settings. We inherited a bunch with iTiVo and have updated them as we've gotten information from the field. So...if you find a setting that does what you want from those communities, you should be able to use it with cTiVo. Would love to have you submit that kind of information back to the site.
mackworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #78
mackworth

@rjgibson Shows not showing up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgibson0066 View Post
Any ideas why my Tivo is listed in cTivo but none of my recorded shows are?
Well, one possibility is that those are all either copy-protected, or TiVo Suggestions. Both of those can be filtered (or not) in the Options menu, but they will still show up in the TiVo's count. (You can also do a Find which will filter, but your screenshot obviously shows that isn't the case here).

If that's not it, that's very odd. The count shows that we've received the show's information, so if it's not showing in the table, that's very strange. Let me know and we'll figure it out.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #79
mackworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankZ View Post

Yes, it is actively under development and support. Like many open-source projects, we had to move from googleCode, as they are going to cut off downloading. It's now at:

https://github.com/dscottbuch/cTiVo

And there's a beta release of the next version there.

Versus kmttg, as one of cTiVo's developers, I might be a tad biased. On the other hand, I use kmttg regularly as well. tannebill is correct; our target was to rewrite and update iTiVo's file transfer ability, making it faster and more comprehensive without losing its ease of use. So we have a lot more Mac-like features (drag/drop, view in Finder, etc) with more simplicity and automation than KMTTG (no need to load details etc), but we don't support any TiVo management or remote control features (such as deleting files), and obviously, we're Mac only.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #80
mackworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmedly View Post
HD television shows mostly. What I'm working with now is:
A) itivo on a snow leopard computer (osX 10.6.8) since itivo has the decrypt/copy option
B) manually convert with handbrake (still experimenting if this is necessary)
C) serve with plex media server
D) plex android app on my handset for control
E) Chromecast back to my TV setup

This seems like it will work but I'm finding that my 10.6.8 computer doesn't seem to hold up to the on the fly transcoding (Plex transcodes for the sake of Chromecast compatibility). During my tests so far it pauses every once in awhile during the show. I'm experimenting with different handbrake options to find something that works well. I do think I'll eventually want to move to the latest os (10.9) so I wish that ctivo had a decrypt option that would cut commercials like the old itivo does.

Well, first, we don't support Snow Leopard at all. That's very surprising, though. I didn't know that path would work with iTiVo. It must run it through an encoder to do that; which one is being called?

So, I pulled up the original iTiVo formats, and you're right. There is one called decrypt/copy that does support comskip. Basically, it's running it through mencoder with the following options, so you could create the same format in cTiVo:

VideoOptions: -ovc copy -of mpeg -mpegopts format=mpeg2:tsaf:muxrate=36000 -noskip -mc 0 -forceidx

AudioOptions: -oac copy
OtherOptions: -hr-edl-seek
iTunes: false
Comskip: Yes

Last edited by mackworth : 04-12-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:56 AM   #81
tannebil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackworth View Post

3) Telling cTiVo that Handbrake can skip commercials only causes the command line options to Handbrake, it won't actually get it to do it.
Hugh, Can you expand on this explanation a bit? Are you drawing a distinction between marking commercials and skipping (cutting?) commercials? I don't check the "can skip commercials" box in my custom Handbrake formats but do select "Mark Commercials" under Options and commercial marking works fine.

Actually there is one oddity lately with commercial marking. The marking looks fine in iTunes but doesn't work consistently on my iPad with the exact same files. Typically, it will work fine for the first couple of marks but then it will start acting like there is a mark every couple of seconds. I have not had a chance to look at it closely to see what's actually in the file container. Just thought I'd mention it in case it's something you've seen.

Thanks, Bill
Old 04-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #82
mackworth

Quote:
Hugh, Can you expand on this explanation a bit? Are you drawing a distinction between marking commercials and skipping (cutting?) commercials? I don't check the "can skip commercials" box in my custom Handbrake formats but do select "Mark Commercials" under Options and commercial marking works fine.

Actually there is one oddity lately with commercial marking. The marking looks fine in iTunes but doesn't work consistently on my iPad with the exact same files. Typically, it will work fine for the first couple of marks but then it will start acting like there is a mark every couple of seconds. I have not had a chance to look at it closely to see what's actually in the file container. Just thought I'd mention it in case it's something you've seen.

Thanks, Bill
Yes, skipping (aka cutting) and marking are very different. In both cases, we run comskip on the decrypted file. In the skipping case, the resulting edit list is then provided to the encoder to completely remove the video segments from the file. Thus the file is smaller, and no action is required to jump over those segments. In the marking case, after the file is converted, cTiVo itself adds the chapter marker information to the file as a separate track (a feature of MP4 files), making it easy to jump over commercial segments, but possible to back up if there's a mistake. This also means that the encoder doesn't have to support the feature, so we can mark any MP4, including Handbrake, even though it doesn't have an edit-list feature.

Let me know what you find on the marking side and/or send me a sample. I haven't seen that issue. If there are no markers, then the iPad viewer acts like that: tapping the fast forward skips forwards a few seconds.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:02 AM   #83
tannebil

Thanks. I'll check the chapter marks in OS X next time and let you know what I find.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #84
dantruong

Here is what I am interested.
Looks great so FAR - certainly the painfully slow performance I encountered with iTivo is GONE.
I agree with the enhancement request - we need more present encoding format/settings for new devices. I.e iPad normal, retina, MBA, etc.
Thanks, Well come visit Best gaming laptop reviews and Best phone In The Worldand Best Pc Laptop and tech new online with us, best product from amazon.

Last edited by dantruong : 05-07-2014 at 09:23 PM.
dantruong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:43 AM   #85
tannebil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantruong View Post
Here is what I am interested.
Looks great so FAR - certainly the painfully slow performance I encountered with iTivo is GONE.
I agree with the enhancement request - we need more present encoding format/settings for new devices. I.e iPad normal, retina, MBA, etc.
Thanks,
You can create an encode format you want in about a minute by copying an existing Handbrake format and changing the Video Options line to be the Handbrake preset desired.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/BuiltInPresets

I personally never found much value in encodes above the AppleTV resolution and that encode will work with pretty much everything. Higher resolutions mean larger files, longer encodes, and more device limitations without much, if any, difference in the picture quality. Unless you are a videophile working with broadcast quality (I have cable) recordings, higher resolutions are not worth the bother.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:30 PM   #86
djl25
C64 hacker

comskip

How can I debug comskip? Since updating to the latest version, it doesn't seem to be working at all. I DO have 'can skip commercials' checked, and have 'skip commercials' selected under options, but my videos save with all commercials still intact.
djl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:34 AM   #87
kcossabo

Hit an issue with older version 2.1

I have been running this version fine, and then a few days ago, it stopped 'seeing' the Roamio. It did see the Premier and the HD.

I can ping the Roamio
I added via it's IP, nothing
I downloaded the 2.3.1 Beta and it asked for a media key for it, then it saw the Roamio as the 'forced' name?

I am working but odd that this happened after last TiVo connection.
kcossabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #88
Unix_Beard

Discovered cTivo a week ago after wondering whatever happened to TivoDecode. I've loved it so far. Such an advancement over the old days.

I've downloaded successfully many shows but have one show that just won't download at all - Game of Thrones. I can download other current HBO shows. Is there a technical reason GoT won't download? It tries and ultimately fails on two different Tivos in the house. Before I waste more time on this, I was just wondering if some shows had some sort of funky flag set to prevent download.

(Toast 10 downloads the show perfectly fine in .Tivo format.)

Edited to add: I changed the format in the Queue area to "Decrypted Tivo Show" and the download actually started. So for some reason, the setting of "H.264 Medium Quality" didn't work. It's yet to be seen whether this file completes as presumably an mpeg2 file...

Last edited by Unix_Beard : 04-28-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Unix_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #89
jonbig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unix_Beard View Post
Discovered cTivo a week ago after wondering whatever happened to TivoDecode. I've loved it so far. Such an advancement over the old days.

I've downloaded successfully many shows but have one show that just won't download at all - Game of Thrones. I can download other current HBO shows. Is there a technical reason GoT won't download? It tries and ultimately fails on two different Tivos in the house. Before I waste more time on this, I was just wondering if some shows had some sort of funky flag set to prevent download.
Yup, most if not all set the do-not-copy bit on HBO and other pay channels, and TiVo stops such shows from being extracted. Be glad you aren't with a cable provider that sets the bit on almost all channels all the time.
jonbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #90
orinaccio

I am observing a synchronization issue with subtitles created by cTivo.

Using 2.3.1 cTivo version, and the AppleTV preset (both mencoder and Handbrake) generates a .srt file that are inconsistently out of synch.

Usually ccextractor generates .srt files that are out of synch by 2 milliseconds, and timeshifting the entire .srt file by whatever length of time it is out of synch for usually fixes the problem throughout the entire video.

However with .SRT files created by cTivo, I will "fix" the synchronization in the beginning of the video but the subtitles towards the end of the video are still out of synch. I hadn't really noticed this before on television shows but it is a big issue with longer programming such as movies, so it is possible the desynch issue gets progressively worse the longer the video is.

To test this, I downloaded the movie using the Tivo preset, and ran my own compiled ccextractor build on it, and was able to generate a normal .srt file with consistent synchronization from beginning to end (I still had to adjust for the usual 2 milliseconds but after doing so the subtitles were fine beginning to end)

Anyone experience this - I cannot explain why this is occurring - I have never come across this problem using my own build of ccextractor in the past.

Normally I would switch to using the Tivo preset, but the other video processing apps that I use do not play well with the output format that Tivo generates so that is not an option for me.
orinaccio is offline   Reply With Quote