TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #2491
d_bondi

I for one am glad that you have driven that point home, unitron. As disappointing as it is to know that I likely need to return this to Amazon and get a new one, it would be a thousand times more frustrating to have gotten through the process of the upgrade and then later had the problem after it was in service in the Premiere. Not to mention, by that time, the 30 day return/exchange at Amazon would have expired.

As noted above, I did re-start the Extended Test. It is now 9 hours and 45 minutes in and about 72% complete, and still running with about 3 hours 45 minutes remaining. It did experience some stalling, several times at about the same time point and Current Sector count as when the failure occurred during my first Extended Test, but did continue and since then has been running smoothly so far as I know. During that stalling period, there was notably more noise coming from the HDD, like rubbing or even light grinding sound. That can't be good.

I'll update upon completion of the Extended Test.
Premiere Lifetime (1TB DVR Expander)

"Nothing is idiot proof to a sufficiently motivated idiot"
d_bondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:18 AM   #2492
d_bondi

After 13 hours and 28 minutes, the second Extended Test completed. Failed with "Too many bad sectors detected." message.

Called Amazon, and they are overnighting a replacement so I'll have it tomorrow, and emailed USP return shipping label, all at no additional charge to me. You gotta love Amazon's customer service.

Thanks again to unitron for driving home the Extended Test of any new HDD before installing in a TiVo, and to Cybernut for pointing me to the Win7 version of the Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics.

Crossing my fingers that WD20EURX #2 passes the Extended Test with no incident.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:28 AM   #2493
murryamorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I wouldn't put the drive in the trash until I'd tested it on another computer or three, but your results so far are not encouraging and illustrate why I say always run the manufacturer's long test on any new (or new to you) drive before putting it into service.

You may have done everything right and just wound up with a bad one. It doesn't happen really often, but it does happen.
I just got the same drive last week from Amazon and I agree. The EURX is working well and I just put it in my OLED a few hours ago. Sometimes they ship drives with problems.
murryamorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #2494
d_bondi

The 2nd WD20EURX from Amazon passed both Quick and Extended Tests. Yippie! On to the next step.....

Cracking open one of my babys... to pull out its stock 320GB HDD.

I'll review the beginning of this thread (jfms) before starting, but is there anything glaring that I need to know? From my first pass throuth it seemed like a relatively simple process, mostly completely automated (as long as the jfms tool can see my drives through the USB/SATA adapters).

Old 03-29-2014, 07:44 AM   #2495
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_bondi View Post
The 2nd WD20EURX from Amazon passed both Quick and Extended Tests. Yippie! On to the next step.....

Cracking open one of my babys... to pull out its stock 320GB HDD.

I'll review the beginning of this thread (jfms) before starting, but is there anything glaring that I need to know? From my first pass throuth it seemed like a relatively simple process, mostly completely automated (as long as the jfms tool can see my drives through the USB/SATA adapters).
You might want to familiarize yourself with the DvrBARS thread as well and make a backup image as long as you've got the drive hooked to a PC.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #2496
d_bondi

Good idea unitron. I'll do that, and I think DvrBARS works with Win7 and the USB/SATA Adapter right? (no DOS boot disk stuff).

The jfms went smoothly, just under 6 hours using the old Dell and 2 USB/SATA adapters. I have not put the new WD20EURX in the TiVo yet.

I don't have a PC with SATA, so I can't run wdidle3 to check/disable Intellipark. Is that a big deal with the new WD20EURX? If so, I can see if I can get access to a friend's PC for a bit.

Last question (for this post anyway). What about the Acoustic Management stuff? Is that something I should do on the new WD20EURX? If so, which is the best utility to use and what settings?

Old 03-29-2014, 06:13 PM   #2497
ggieseke

I wouldn't worry too much about wdidle on a new EURX. I have about half a dozen recent EURS and EURX drives, and none of them needed it.

Pretty much the same goes for acoustic management, though your mileage may vary. I'm running my 4TB XL and a factory 3TB Roamio Pro with the covers off and I can't hear anything from about 9 feet away.

DvrBARS will read any drive that Windows can see (USB, SATA, eSATA etc). The only requirement is XP (SP2) or later and the drivers to support your chosen method of connection. If you have something weird like my ASUS USB3/SATA combo card it may take additional drivers, but in general it's just Plug & Play.

Snapping at least a truncated backup after your initial setup as unitron suggested is a good idea. You never know when a drive might die, and when it does that 2GB backup may come in handy.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #2498
d_bondi

When running DvrBARS on my laptop (Win7/64 Enterprise) I got CreatFile (Error 0x00000005 (5). Not sure why, but couldn't get DvrBARS to run.

So I ran it on my wife's laptop(Win7/64 Home) and it had a hiccup the first time, but restarted and it ran fine. Took a little over 2.5 hours to do a Truncated Backup of the new 2TB WD20EURX and created a file about 250GB. Why is this file so big if it doesn't have any of my shows on it? Did it count the zeros it writes where the shows are? Now I just need to zip it and store it somewhere. Was hoping for a much smaller file.

The new WD20EURX is installed back in the TiVo Premiere and working (haven't recorded anything yet, got "The Walking Dead" S4 Finale tonight to test it though) and shows 318 Hours HD Recording and only 7% full...

Old 03-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #2499
ggieseke

Quote:
When running DvrBARS on my laptop (Win7/64 Enterprise) I got CreatFile (Error 0x00000005 (5). Not sure why, but couldn't get DvrBARS to run.

So I ran it on my wife's laptop(Win7/64 Home) and it had a hiccup the first time, but restarted and it ran fine. Took a little over 2.5 hours to do a Truncated Backup of the new 2TB WD20EURX and created a file about 250GB. Why is this file so big if it doesn't have any of my shows on it? Did it count the zeros it writes where the shows are? Now I just need to zip it and store it somewhere. Was hoping for a much smaller file.

The new WD20EURX is installed back in the TiVo Premiere and working (haven't recorded anything yet, got "The Walking Dead" S4 Finale tonight to test it though) and shows 318 Hours HD Recording and only 7% full...
That error is "access denied". Must be a permissions issue.

The oversize file on a truncated backup is something I'm still working on. TiVo has changed something in the latest OS that seems to invalidate the code that I use to to exclude recordings. It's a moving target and right now it's moving faster than I can keep up. Sorry about that, but when it comes to giving away free software or the job that pays my mortgage work comes first.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #2500
d_bondi

Hey, No Worries, I was just curious. The good thing is that I have a backup if I ever need it. With 12 TB of external back up capacity, I'm sure I can find a place to stash it away.

As for the permissions, my laptop is a work PC so, while I think I have administrator access, who really knows. My wife's is personal and I KNOW I have administrator rights.

Thanks!!

Old 04-26-2014, 12:49 AM   #2501
riise317

i just finished the process of using jmfs to upgrade my 320gb hd in my premiere 4. everything went very smoothly, took about 2.5 hours total to copy, expand and supersize. i put the hd back in the tivo and everything booted normally and showed the extra capacity as expected. i was browsing around a little and watching live tv then out of nowhere...GSOD.

also, before running the copy i used the WD quick and extended tests which passed with no errors.

should i just let the drive stay on and see what happens? maybe repeat the copy process?

UPDATE: after 4 hours of GSOD it is now just boot looping to the welcome start up screen. I'm thinking I should pull the hd out and re-run the WD diagnostic tests again?

any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Last edited by riise317 : 04-26-2014 at 06:25 AM.
riise317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:49 AM   #2502
jmbach

I would run the WD diagnostics again. It wouldn't be the first time that a drive failed after installation.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:56 AM   #2503
riise317

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
I would run the WD diagnostics again. It wouldn't be the first time that a drive failed after installation.
thanks...running it now.

if it passes, do I just try another copy or is some type of format recommended? maybe boot into Linux gparted and erase the partition?
Old 04-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #2504
jmbach

Just redo the copy. It will overwrite anything currently on the drive.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #2505
riise317

Quote:
Just redo the copy. It will overwrite anything currently on the drive.
well that was quick, the test stopped about 20 mins in with the message "too many errors found". back to amazon it goes.

since it passed the first time and failed after, do you think it's worth it to do the tests next time? I kind of feel like it was a waste of 5 hours.

is the WD20EURX still my best option or have people had better success with other drives?
Old 04-26-2014, 09:28 PM   #2506
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by riise317 View Post
well that was quick, the test stopped about 20 mins in with the message "too many errors found". back to amazon it goes.

since it passed the first time and failed after, do you think it's worth it to do the tests next time? I kind of feel like it was a waste of 5 hours.

is the WD20EURX still my best option or have people had better success with other drives?
The predecessor, the WD20EURS (3Gb/s, instead of 6, but still plenty fast for a TiVo) is probably the most successfully used 2TB upgrade drive so far, and up until you and the other guy, the X has seemed to be an acceptable replacement.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:21 PM   #2507
d_bondi

riise317, I'm the other guy.....

I had a WD20EURX that tested OK (both QUICK and EXTENDED), installed in the same Premiere unit you have and it worked OK for a day, then got stuck in a loop of trying to connect to TiVo service and update hung... It would communicate with other TiVos, the iPad App, KMTTG, but would never record a complete show, it always truncated them. (Technically, this was the 2nd WD20EURX, because the 1st one Amazon sent passed the QUICK test but failed the EXTENDED test.)

I pulled the drive, and per unitron's coaching, re-ran the WD Diagnostics, and it failed both QUICK and EXTENDED tests. It was still in the 30 days for Amazon so I sent it back and they overnighted me a new one. That one tested good (both) and is currently in the Premiere. 2 Days and still OK. It has connected to TiVo Service and updated successfully several times.

Cross your fingers for me.

I also purchased a WD30EURX for my Roamio (yep Amazon). It tested good (both) and I will install it later this week. Just wanted to get the Roamio set up and functioning with the stock 500GB Seagate drive, give it a few days to make sure it is A-Okay, records with all 4 tuners, etc..... before "cracking it open".

Good Luck !!!

Old 04-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #2508
riise317

Quote:

I had a WD20EURX that tested OK (both QUICK and EXTENDED), installed in the same Premiere unit you have and it worked OK for a day, then got stuck in a loop of trying to connect to TiVo service and update hung... It would communicate with other TiVos, the iPad App, KMTTG, but would never record a complete show, it always truncated them. (Technically, this was the 2nd WD20EURX, because the 1st one Amazon sent passed the QUICK test but failed the EXTENDED test.)

I pulled the drive, and per unitron's coaching, re-ran the WD Diagnostics, and it failed both QUICK and EXTENDED tests. It was still in the 30 days for Amazon so I sent it back and they overnighted me a new one. That one tested good (both) and is currently in the Premiere. 2 Days and still OK. It has connected to TiVo Service and updated successfully several times.

I also purchased a WD30EURX for my Roamio (yep Amazon). It tested good (both) and I will install it later this week. Just wanted to get the Roamio set up and functioning with the stock 500GB Seagate drive, give it a few days to make sure it is A-Okay, records with all 4 tuners, etc..... before "cracking it open".

Good Luck !!!
good luck!!!

i returned the WD20EURX to amazon and ordered a WD20EZRX. it just passed the quick test and i'm now running the extended. i also ran wdidle3.exe and disabled the timer. i'm hoping this drive works out because i could really use the space!

side note: the reason i tried the EZRX is because Amazon kept listing the EURX as "OEM/Bulk". i'm sure the drives are new but i just wanted to make sure.

i'll report back...thank for everyone's help
Old 04-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #2509
neo_ny

Quote:

Good Luck !!!
I am receiving the same error you did when using the ultimate boot cd, were you able to fix it or did you do the diagnostics on windows? I got the 3TB for my roamio as well and need to run the tests. Also, how long did it take for the extended test to run on the 3TB? TIA
neo_ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:39 PM   #2510
riise317

Quote:

Good Luck !!!
ok, so everything is up and running (thank god). i got my new WD20EZRX and ran both quick and extended test twice this time and both times it passed. i did have to run WDIDLE3.EXE to disable intellipark, i set it to 300.

copied, extended and supersized...took about 2.5 hours. popped the unit back in and everything booted right up with the added space as expected. did a couple of connections to the tivo service and recorded on both tuners for about 2 hours straight, everything seems fine.

now i can go enjoy my tivo instead of staring at the inside of it
Old 05-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #2511
neo_ny

Can someone please confirm that the JMFS works with roamio? As I mentioned before UBCD wasn't able to recognize the WD drive to run diagnostics but I was able to run it from windows and the drive checked out ok. When I am trying to run JMFS, it doesn't recognize either my new drive or the stock drive I took off from Tivo.. running out of ideas of what to try .. any help will be appreciated .. thanks!
Old 05-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #2512
jmbach

JMFS rev 104 will not work with the Series 5 TiVos
Old 05-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #2513
neo_ny

Quote:
JMFS rev 104 will not work with the Series 5 TiVos
Thanks for letting me know! Would you be able to recommend to me the best way I can transfer shows/setting from the stock hard drive to the new drive? TIA
Old 05-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #2514
jmbach

If all you want to do is copy the drive, you can use any variant of dd. You can use DvrBARS to make a backup and restore it to another drive. You have to use the full backup option. Nothing at this time will expand the drive to use any extra space.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #2515
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_ny View Post
Thanks for letting me know! Would you be able to recommend to me the best way I can transfer shows/setting from the stock hard drive to the new drive? TIA
There is no method to do this for a Roamio. It's being worked on but no estimate on when it will be available.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #2516
ggieseke

Quote:
If all you want to do is copy the drive, you can use any variant of dd. You can use DvrBARS to make a backup and restore it to another drive. You have to use the full backup option. Nothing at this time will expand the drive to use any extra space.
DvrBARS is limited to 2TB drives, even in the Full backup mode.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #2517
neo_ny

Thanks for your input guys, appreciate it!
Old 05-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #2518
jetcobra

Premiere Expansion

I recently bought a new basic Premiere from TIVO for a very good deal and was able to transfer one of my TIVOHD lifetime services to it for free.

I hooked it up, connected to FIOS and paired my MCARD and tried it out for a week. Today, I wanted to add a larger HDD, so I used a WD 3TB drive - it was the only one I have so I used it instead of a 2TB.

I used JMFS version 104 and did the Copy, Expand and Supersize.

When I got everything back up and running I checked the System Info. and it showed 430 HD hours - I was surprised - I thought that 317 HD hours was the limit, but I am happy to have the larger space. I will run it for a while now to make sure everything works okay, but I have already contacted TIVO and recorded programs.

So, I guess you can use 3TB HDD's!

"Life is tough; it gets tougher if you're STUPID" John Wayne
jetcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #2519
jmbach

You can use up to a 4TB drive and get 640 HD hours but depending on the initial image, it might take a little partition rearranging first.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:38 AM   #2520
Cybernut

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcobra View Post
When I got everything back up and running I checked the System Info. and it showed 430 HD hours...

So, I guess you can use 3TB HDD's!
You are not making full use of your 3TB currently - the full 3TB should yield 479 HD hours like here:

Steps to upgrade to full 3TB drive were developed by jmbach and can be found here -> http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=512153

And as jmbach mentioned above, you can even upgrade to 4TB with a bit of work.
Cybernut is offline   Reply With Quote