TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #181
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
This is essentially the situation I am in. Nobody else has decent coverage in my area, so what good is a cell phone if you can't make a phone call half the time you want to?

LOL well, you could say the same thing about lots of different things. Some people don't have broadband internet, not because they don't have options for it, but because they don't feel that they need it. And some people make due with OTA rather than paid TV, because they don't feel they need to pay for the extras they don't really want or need.

For the time being at least, I am more than satisfied using my laptop to do whatever it is I want to do online and just using a cell phone as a phone, and until that changes I see no reason to pay $1,500/year more for something I don't feel that I truly need right now.
If coverage is important to you, then you have a few options. You could just sell your soul to the devil for the coverage, you could get an MVNO that uses Verizon's network, or you could move your main phones to something else, and have a Verizon-based Tracfone as a backup... I'd definitely just sell my soul to the devil if I lived in an area where they have much better coverage than AT&T. Luckily, AT&T has the best coverage in my area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
It's an interesting conundrum! Can you imagine not having the internet?
Can you imagine a kid trying to compete without it?
The point is mobile internet is the next level of competitive advantage.
Those that have it are finding local coupons, buying tickets, finding directions, bidding on that auction, ...

I remember a quick impulse trip to LA to get Portillos Hot Dogs. We brought out iPad and we are able to get around in the car without issue.

The point is life is cheaper if you have the ability to search efficiently.

Or you could go to the library and look through newspapers and then get out your fold out map.
Exactly. Having a smartphone makes traveling SO much better too. I've found many places to eat or go, or looked up opening time information or directions, etc, using a smartphone. Even a well planned trip can fall apart for all sorts of reasons, and having a smartphone to get it quickly back on track pays the price of the data many, many times over. I've been lucky to have access to AT&T and Verizon phones on the last two trips I've been on, both LTE on the last one. Usually, both worked fine.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #182
mpnret

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Odds are that if tivo went belly up a repeat of the replyTV scenario would play out. Somebody would purchase it to provide guide data and receive the royalty payments.
Yup, my RTV5040 still works, guide data and all. Not much use for it anymore. Guess I should see what it will fetch on ebay.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #183
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by c133roamioerrors View Post
Barring an anti trust violation, Comcast should buy Tivo, quit selling them and provide them as an upgraded monthly fee option. They would continue to provide the Tivo service to those with the lifetime option until all the older Tivos crapped out.
That could be a long time, considering Replay TV is still providing guide data for those on lifetime plans.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #184
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
Yup, my RTV5040 still works, guide data and all. Not much use for it anymore. Guess I should see what it will fetch on ebay.
I had one of those, plus a 4000 series. I felt at the time Relay TV came out it was a better DVR than Tivo with the commercial advance and file sharing. Shame they got sued out of business.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #185
moonscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
I remember a quick impulse trip to LA to get Portillos Hot Dogs. We brought out iPad and we are able to get around in the car without issue.

The point is life is cheaper if you have the ability to search efficiently.
Oh, I agree. Between my GPS and iPad (which I typically have with me for calendar and as-needed on a bare-bones data plan), it provides all that and more. Heck, Garmin alone will find Portillo HDs ...

To the person who referenced hijacking the thread away from Tivo, um lifetime, I figured my participation in that was doing the dead-horse thread a favor ... but okay, I'll quit about my lack of need for a smart phone!
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:16 PM   #186
chicagobrownblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonscape View Post
I can afford a new computer, but those warranties have been worth gold. I'm either hard on my notebooks or a lemon magnet.

Other than notebooks, I agree!
Can I lend you my 10 year old Compaq notebook? Still working after all these years with the original hard drive but memory bumped up to 2 GB.

And, a recent post elsewhere indicates that Word 2010 is the target of an unpatched vulnerability in Windows. I guess my Word/Outlook 2003 on my XP notebook won't get a hacker his Office merit bag.
chicagobrownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #187
johnh123

Quote:
Oh, I agree. Between my GPS and iPad (which I typically have with me for calendar and as-needed on a bare-bones data plan), it provides all that and more. Heck, Garmin alone will find Portillo HDs ...

To the person who referenced hijacking the thread away from Tivo, um lifetime, I figured my participation in that was doing the dead-horse thread a favor ... but okay, I'll quit about my lack of need for a smart phone!
I didn't realize you guys have portillos out there. I guess I could live in California after all.
johnh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #188
Bigg

Quote:

With a data plan on an iPad, you've got the same functionality... you just need, um, really big pockets to carry it. A rather bizarre "solution" for sure...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #189
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
The bottom line is that monthly is a sucker bet and the folks paying it either refuse to admit the facts or can't afford the upfront cost of lifetime. But it does help Tivo so if you want to justify it that way it's all good for you. That's pretty much it.

Wow, you just can't discuss anything without resorting to nastiness. Sucker bet? Why would anyone listen to a thing you have to say when you are such a jerk about it? I imagine that you spend lots of time watching your Tivo Roamio....alone.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #190
moonscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
With a data plan on an iPad, you've got the same functionality... you just need, um, really big pockets to carry it. A rather bizarre "solution" for sure...
The benefit of carrying a purse
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:15 AM   #191
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
Wow, you just can't discuss anything without resorting to nastiness. Sucker bet? Why would anyone listen to a thing you have to say when you are such a jerk about it? I imagine that you spend lots of time watching your Tivo Roamio....alone.
No, not really. But thanks for the compliments!
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #192
CloudAtlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
Wow, you just can't discuss anything without resorting to nastiness. Sucker bet? Why would anyone listen to a thing you have to say when you are such a jerk about it? I imagine that you spend lots of time watching your Tivo Roamio....<b>alone</b>.
So True. With all the time some of these posters spend on these boards arguing I'm not so sure they watch much TiVo. Just enough time to complain about it.

That being said the lifetime issue is a lease vs own scenario. But unlike cars TiVo doesn't release a new model each year nor can you take a tax deduction on the lease.
CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #193
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Pot, meet kettle.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #194
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudAtlas View Post
But unlike cars TiVo doesn't release a new model each year nor can you take a tax deduction on the lease.
You can't take a tax deduction on a car lease either.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #195
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
You can't take a tax deduction on a car lease either.
In a business you can.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #196
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
In a business you can.
Only to the extent it is actually used for business purposes. And FYI, you could deduct a TiVo too if it were used for business purposes.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote