TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
ShoutingMan

TiVo not recording a Season Pass (The Good Wife)!?!?

My TiVo Roamio is not recording a show. The guide gives a status of "Not Available" and "No longer in Guide". The TiVo records a show immediately before it on the same channel. (This is very annoying, having paid for a six tuner TiVo to avoid recording conflicts and failures.$

Additional details:
Verizon Fios in Ashburn VA
Season Pass for "The Good Wife" on CBS has not recorded the past two weeks.
A season pass for "Amazing Race" on CBS, with 90 min padding, records normally.
Examine the recording history gives errors of "Not Available" and "No longer in Guide".

I submitted a service request to TiVo, since this is a fundamental failure of TiVo-ing.
Does anyone have any idea of what causes this problem, and any tips/tricks to solve it?
ShoutingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
cherry ghost

It's a known problem caused by the padding of the previous show.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=512819
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:07 AM   #3
ncfoster

Just make sure that you avoid their Facebook page at all costs. Those bozos just posted major spoilers on it. smh
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:52 AM   #4
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
Season Pass for "The Good Wife" on CBS has not recorded the past two weeks. A season pass for "Amazing Race" on CBS, with 90 min padding, records normally.
Don't pad The Amazing Race. But do pad The Good Wife with an extra hour or more.

When CBS runs late because of a sports show (like they did last night) you'll get part of The Amazing Race in the first recording, the balance in the second recording (along with The Good Wife).
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
JohnS-MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
Don't pad The Amazing Race. But do pad The Good Wife with an extra hour or more.

When CBS runs late because of a sports show (like they did last night) you'll get part of The Amazing Race in the first recording, the balance in the second recording (along with The Good Wife).
So the "generalized" solution is just pad the last program in a series of back-to-backs on the same channel?

I've been scheduling one long recording block after noting the start time of 60 Minutes, which is kind of a PITA and I have to be there.
JohnS-MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #6
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post
So the "generalized" solution is just pad the last program in a series of back-to-backs on the same channel?

I've been scheduling one long recording block after noting the start time of 60 Minutes, which is kind of a PITA and I have to be there.
Padding the second show is almost a set it and forget it solution -- until the day comes that the second show is a repeat or doesn't air. Then you'll want to pad the first show again.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #7
Schmye Bubbula

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post
But if The Mentalist isn't on that night and The Good Wife is, then you've missed the end of The Good Wife, no?
Schmye Bubbula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #8
waynomo
My One Time

Don't forget as a backup you can always schedule manual recordings. They should work with no problems.

(Granted you shouldn't have to do that, but that should work as a failsafe.)
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #9
andyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmye Bubbula View Post
But if The Mentalist isn't on that night and The Good Wife is, then you've missed the end of The Good Wife, no?
This is true. But generally if The Good Wife is on then The Mentalist is also. Checking the Futon Critic both shows seem to be running the same for the rest of this season so you should be OK just padding The Mentalist.

Of course if a global catastrophe occurs .........
Old 03-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
JohnS-MI

Quote:
Padding the second show is almost a set it and forget it solution -- until the day comes that the second show is a repeat or doesn't air. Then you'll want to pad the first show again.
I can look at the guide a few days ahead and set them up as one time recordings. There is a potential problem if using season pass. But it beats being there, timing things, and setting a manual recording Sunday night.
JohnS-MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
ShoutingMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
It's a known problem caused by the padding of the previous show.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=512819
Thanks. I thought I'd seen this before, but couldn't remember the right search term.

Quote:

I suggested that to my wife and she said:

Quote:
Yep.

Tivo's CSR suggested I delete and redo The Good Wife season pass. I'll try that. Maybe I'll get lucky. This wasn't affecting me until recently.

Fortunately, we can buy the episodes from Amazon for $2.99. But I shouldn't have to. This seems like a pretty basic feature, and key motivation for getting a 6-tuner Tivo is to not have conflicts between shows with padding on the same channel. (sigh)
Old 03-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #12
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Yeah, that actually happened with The Amazing Race premiere. The Good Wife wasn't new that night and CBS ran over by about 15 minutes.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #13
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
Fortunately, we can buy the episodes from Amazon for $2.99.
IMO you should watch last week's episode ASAP. There are spoilers about it everywhere, including in the promos for this week's episode.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:40 PM   #14
ShoutingMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
IMO you should watch last week's episode ASAP. There are spoilers about it everywhere, including in the promos for this week's episode.
Yes, I bought and watched it the next day.