TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #31
pbubel

Do you have the Bluetooth Dongle connected? The slide uses Bluetooth, not RF.
pbubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #32
alyssa

yes, the BT dongle is connected. should i disconnect it?

ets disconnected the dongle for no joy

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #33
pbubel

The slide remote isn't RF so the pairing process has no impact on it. I use the BT dongle to connect my slide remote to the Roamio without issue. If memory serves there is a pairing button on the BT dongle, give that a try. I'd also try replacing the batteries in the slide remote.

Just to make sure the slide remote is healthy, does it work on your old Tivo still?
Old 03-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #34
alyssa

i pressed the button on the dongle, is there something else to do to force the dongle/remote pairing?

the slide does seem to be working normally with my premiere. i can search using the keyboard and access most if not all of the features. i didn't test them all so there may be a wonky button or two that i haven't found.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #35
pbubel

I'm wondering if your not getting good BT signal from the remote to the dongle when its connected too your romaio. I actually ended up using a short bluetooth cable to move the dongle to the front of the Tivo to clear that up. That wasn't specific to the Romaio but the rack I had it in. Haven't had any issues besides that.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #36
alyssa

i pulled the romieo out from the entertainment center but didn't turn it around. the remote is abt 10-13 foot away from the tivo. How much did that bt cable cost you?

I can move the slide to my premiere and move that remote to the "to sell" unit.
so all is not lost, i'm just trying to sort it so i can either get it out of the house or use it.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #37
jrtroo
User

The remote came with a 6-8" cable to help get a better signal. Some did not know it was behind the plastic shield in the box.

If you have continued problems you could have had an interior plug come loose. Mine happened all the time after a drop onto hardwood until I hot glue-gunned it to the board.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #38
alyssa

is it just a usb to usb?

i haven't dropped the romieo...i'd hate to mess with the innards until after the one year mark, all tho i'd sure like to know if the usb port is bad. I can't think of another way to test it tho.
maybe it's time to baffle tivo tech support ... lol

Old 11-24-2014, 09:22 PM   #39
pkyzivat

I put the BT dongle in my new Roamio, and my slide remote "works". But it is erratic to the point of unusability. I used to see the same behavior from time to time with my TiVo HD, but most of the time all was fine there. On the Roamio it more often fails than works.

What happens is: some button presses seem to be ignored, maybe forever, maybe not. While waiting I may retry. Then eventually I *may* see a burst of actions. Sometimes it just seems like the keypresses I entered, but delayed. Other times there are many more actions than button presses.

I *suspect* that something is going wrong in the processing of the signals received over bluetooth. Perhaps they are being queued for processing, but serviced in a low priority queue that isn't serviced if there are other background tasks. (But that doesn't explain the cases where I get more actions than button presses.) But it does possibly explain why the bad behavior is intermittent.

I guess it is also possible that it is the remote sending things intermittently. It isn't a physically stuck key. But maybe there could be something similar to what I just described, but on the sending side in the remote.

With the TiVo HD the problem happened infrequently enough that I could still use the slide as my primary remote. With the Roamio it seems to be so bad that I may have to retire it. :-(

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

One other thing: for the slide, is there an alternative to the "back" key on the Roamio remote? At first I couldn't imagine where it would be needed. But after using the Roamio for a day I've encountered a few cases where it seemed to be needed, and the only alternative I could find was the TiVo button. (I don't recall exactly what those cases were.)
pkyzivat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:12 PM   #40
jwbelcher

Yes; its interference. Try a long usb extension cable.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:58 PM   #41
buckyswider

this is gonna sound crazy, but i swear it's true. on my old comcast remote i once had this problem. lasted a couple weeks. turned out the batteries were in backward. once i replaced them properly, everything worked just fine.

it doesn't make sense, but it's a true story. call ripley.
buckyswider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #42
FitzAusTex

I'm having problems with my Roamio not consistently recognizing the Slide Pro RF dongle after a reboot for the past few months. The Pro is definitely paired with the dongle, but the Roamio often won't recognize it. The dongle blinks green with each Pro button press, and the remote finder function works fine. Multiple reboots will sometimes do the trick, but since 20.4.5, I've not gotten it to work once (about 15 reboots tried). I've tried all the unpairing/repairing steps, so I know how to do it. For those wondering why I even use the dongle, I have a severely subpar internal RF receiver in the Roamio. Oh, and tivo sent me a replacement dongle, so I doubt it is the dongle, and I've tried both usb ports.

Very frustrating.
FitzAusTex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #43
pkyzivat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Yes; its interference. Try a long usb extension cable.
To clarify, are you suggesting that I connect the dongle to the Roamio via an extension cable? (To get it away from the Roamio itself?)

(Update: THANK YOU!!! I tried this and it seems to have fully solved my problem!)

Last edited by pkyzivat : 11-26-2014 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Supply updated status
pkyzivat is offline   Reply With Quote