TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #151
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Pay TV is somewhat of a luxury. Basic (DSL speed) internet access and a smartphone are becoming necessities now, since the world expects you to have them in some form.
I don't have a smartphone, nor do I plan on getting one for the foreseeable future. Wireless data prices are obscenely high in my opinion, and are therefore a luxury. One man's necessity is another man's luxury.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #152
trip1eX

You pay more in the long run if you make monthly payments so that's why lifetime is a good idea.

Also you break even on paper way before 33 months because of resale value.

And it is going to cost you $$$$ if your Tivo breaks whether you have lifetime or not. You can pay to repair your old Tivo if you have lifetime and thus keep lifetime. IF you have monthly maybe you would just get a new Tivo but it will still cost you quite a bit.

Like anything, some will get lifetime and feel ripped off when their Tivo dies in 2 years. And swear lifetime is a bad idea. I mean people have died with seatbelts on too that wouldn't have died if they had their seatbelts off. Does that mean seatbelts are a bad idea?
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #153
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
You pay more in the long run if you make monthly payments so that's why lifetime is a good idea.

Also you break even on paper way before 33 months because of resale value.

And it is going to cost you $$$$ if your Tivo breaks whether you have lifetime or not. You can pay to repair your old Tivo if you have lifetime and thus keep lifetime. IF you have monthly maybe you would just get a new Tivo but it will still cost you quite a bit.

Like anything, some will get lifetime and feel ripped off when their Tivo dies in 2 years. And swear lifetime is a bad idea. I mean people have died with seatbelts on too that wouldn't have died if they had their seatbelts off. Does that mean seatbelts are a bad idea?
There have been some posts by people that added up the total cost of their TiVo on monthly + TiVo purchase and it was over $1,100, Lifetime would have been a better option in that case, other don't want to bother with E-Bay or other means of re-sale so for them the Lifetime break even cost is longer, In my experience you can get most (or all) of your Lifetime cost back with a 3 to 4 year old HD TiVo listed on E-Bay, at that point Lifetime is a no-brainer as the cost is $399 - the first month service cost as you would have to pay that anyways, and TiVo can't raise the monthly cost to you, and if your state ups the sales tax rate it will be no extra cost to you.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:39 PM   #154
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
I mean people have died with seatbelts on too that wouldn't have died if they had their seatbelts off.
You be hard pressed to prove that point.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #155
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
Oh, well - I suspected my comments would bring up ridicule and tension. I just think this is a really good topic for discussion as it would help people decide - but it always ends up with one side trying to make the other side look stupid in order to justify their own actions.
The bottom line is that monthly is a sucker bet and the folks paying it either refuse to admit the facts or can't afford the upfront cost of lifetime. But it does help Tivo so if you want to justify it that way it's all good for you. That's pretty much it.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #156
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
The bottom line is that monthly is a sucker bet and the folks paying it either refuse to admit the facts or can't afford the upfront cost of lifetime. But it does help Tivo so if you want to justify it that way it's all good for you. That's pretty much it.
Stores that rent furniture, HDTV etc. exist because people use them, check cashing places that charge you for each check you cash exist, why, because people use them. Monthly exist for TiVo, why, because people use that method to pay TiVo for the service, if 99.9% of TiVo owners used Lifetime TiVo would stop monthly. I once took the time to figure out my monthly cost of my TiVos after an upgrade and sale of the old TiVo, it was from almost zero to a max of about $3/month, so even the $6.95 rate is not a good deal over the long run for anybody that can use E-Bay (or other methods) to sell the old TiVo.
I would, however, not use the work sucker to describe TiVo monthly users, as monthly is not any type of TiVo con game.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #157
c133roamioerrors

This thread is currently at 6 pages. The amount of money for the monthly service is very small for most peoples budgets. My Comcast triple play bill is over $200 a month.
I spend about $60 a month when I buy lunch at work. That could be eliminated by brown bagging, which is what I did when my income was lower.
The lifetime vs monthly has turned into a pissing contest about who is smarter.
c133roamioerrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #158
squiddohio

"That could be eliminated by brown bagging. . ."
No. That expense could be reduced by brown bagging, unless you get cold cuts for free and your time has no value.
But I agree that it's time to move on . . .
squiddohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #159
HarperVision

Here's a question, if someone said they'd give you $75 right now, or $100 2 years from now, which would you take?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #160
c133roamioerrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Here's a question, if someone said they'd give you $75 right now, or $100 2 years from now, which would you take?
Make it $750 or $1000, I would say I really don't care.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #161
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by c133roamioerrors View Post
... Or who is dumber, or denser, or less risk adverse.

I can't believe this thread didn't die 150 replies ago.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #162
jrtroo
User

Wait lifetime users. The finances are the finances. If everyone went lifetime then we would all have to pay a higher price as the monthly provides us a subsidy. Go Monthly!
Old 03-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #163
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
I don't have a smartphone, nor do I plan on getting one for the foreseeable future. Wireless data prices are obscenely high in my opinion, and are therefore a luxury. One man's necessity is another man's luxury.
2005 wants you back. Wireless data isn't that bad. The data plans are $30/mo on the older plans, and some newer plans like Mobile Share Value are great, as they bundle everything together.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #164
tarheelblue32

Quote:
2005 wants you back. Wireless data isn't that bad. The data plans are $30/mo on the older plans, and some newer plans like Mobile Share Value are great, as they bundle everything together.
Right now my family pays Verizon a total of $81/month (taxes and fees included) for 3 basic cell phones. If my family upgraded to 3 smartphones w/4GB of shared data, our bill would be over $200/month, which would be about $1,500/year over what we pay now. No thanks.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 03-22-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #165
lessd

Quote:
Right now my family pays Verizon a total of $81/month (taxes and fees included) for 3 basic cell phones. If my family upgraded to 3 smartphones w/4GB of shared data, our bill would be over $200/month, which would be about $1,500/year over what we pay now. No thanks.
I have most of the new toys (Surface 2 pro 80" HDTV with 3D etc) but I still use my flip phone, I have 4 on my plan with a total cost of $90/month from Version, smart phones are too big to fit into my shirt pocket and I don't work where I may have needed one, so my home computers are smart enough for me and my wife.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:10 AM   #166
steve614
what ru lookin at?

How much do I hate the monthly payment option?

I'll tell you.

Back in the day when TiVo released the original S3 w/OLED display, they took away the option to get lifetime service.

I thought 'well, I won't be buying any more Tivos anytime soon', and I really wanted an S3. I thought the OLED display was cool, plus it's not all that ugly either. But because TiVo didn't offer lifetime, they lost an $800 sale.

I think TiVo figured out pretty quickly that was a bad idea, because they brought lifetime back shortly after releasing the Tivo HD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #167
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
This thread is currently at 6 pages. ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
... Or who is dumber, or denser, or less risk adverse.
I can't believe this thread didn't die 150 replies ago.
It doesn't do any good to point this out, as I did **way** back in post #114:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
LOL.... The old "is PLS a good deal" topic. Always a reliable way to launch a huge thread that doesn't settle anything.
Let's face it: Pissing contests are very popular!

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #168
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Yeah and we have 5 people on T-Mobile, all with smartphones, and pay $117 a month all inclusive. With unlimited talk, text, and 1GB of data a month (which we mostly don't use because we're on Wifi).

It's really not as expensive as you think if you're willing to shop around, depending on your coverage where you live.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #169
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Wait lifetime users. The finances are the finances. If everyone went lifetime then we would all have to pay a higher price as the monthly provides us a subsidy. Go Monthly!
+1000. Monthly folks like giving Tivo more money so if that enables them to keep offering lifetime to those willing to think things through I'm all for it.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #170
Bigg

Quote:
For cell phones that can't do 90% of what a smartphone can. There are prepaid options with Unlimited talk/text/data for $45/mo per line, as well as AT&T's new Mobile Share Value which would be $145/mo for three smartphones sharing 10GB of data, although it doesn't include the device subsidies, but you can shop around, buy used phones or unlocked devices and save a lot.

If you're in an area where Verizon's coverage is far better than anyone else's, then you're stuck selling your soul to the devil for good coverage. Although even if that's the case, smartphones on another carrier are way more useful than voice phones with great coverage that can't really DO anything.

Smartphones are standard now. Get with the times.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #171
tarheelblue32

Quote:
If you're in an area where Verizon's coverage is far better than anyone else's, then you're stuck selling your soul to the devil for good coverage.
This is essentially the situation I am in. Nobody else has decent coverage in my area, so what good is a cell phone if you can't make a phone call half the time you want to?

Quote:
Smartphones are standard now. Get with the times.
LOL well, you could say the same thing about lots of different things. Some people don't have broadband internet, not because they don't have options for it, but because they don't feel that they need it. And some people make due with OTA rather than paid TV, because they don't feel they need to pay for the extras they don't really want or need.

For the time being at least, I am more than satisfied using my laptop to do whatever it is I want to do online and just using a cell phone as a phone, and until that changes I see no reason to pay $1,500/year more for something I don't feel that I truly need right now.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #172
moonscape

It's not a financial issue for me, but a fact that when out on private time, I like having the world be a connection-free zone, except for my iPad when needed, but that's on a deliberate, not always-on, basis. I've gotten so rebellious about the phone that most of the time my cell is in my car, charging in the console: my flip phone w/out data plan that is.

I realize I'm in the huge minority, but it boils down to need and preference, that's all.
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #173
brianric

I have a Verizon smart phone with bare bones 250 MB data per month with unlimited text and voice for $55/month. If I need any serious data downloading I use wi-fi.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #174
HarperVision

Did I accidentally go to the cellphonesrus forum on my forumrunner app?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
It doesn't do any good to point this out, as I did **way** back in post #114: Let's face it: Pissing contests are very popular!
.......Unless you have a bad prostate, that is!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #175
mpaquette

I just used PLSR to add lifetime to my new Roamio. I guess that means I'm really dumb or really smart.
mpaquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #176
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonscape View Post
It's not a financial issue for me, but a fact that when out on private time, I like having the world be a connection-free zone, except for my iPad when needed, but that's on a deliberate, not always-on, basis. I've gotten so rebellious about the phone that most of the time my cell is in my car, charging in the console: my flip phone w/out data plan that is.

I realize I'm in the huge minority, but it boils down to need and preference, that's all.
It's an interesting conundrum! Can you imagine not having the internet?
Can you imagine a kid trying to compete without it?
The point is mobile internet is the next level of competitive advantage.
Those that have it are finding local coupons, buying tickets, finding directions, bidding on that auction, ...

I remember a quick impulse trip to LA to get Portillos Hot Dogs. We brought out iPad and we are able to get around in the car without issue.

The point is life is cheaper if you have the ability to search efficiently.

Or you could go to the library and look through newspapers and then get out your fold out map.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #177
mpnret

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaquette View Post
I just used PLSR to add lifetime to my new Roamio. I guess that means I'm really dumb or really smart.
You should have stayed on monthly, paid with a credit card and then made minimum payments on the card. You know, just in case TiVo goes belly up. Then you could dispute the charge for unused days if necessary.

I plan to do the same as you with my Roamio. Just haven't got around to it yet. Just curious did you purchase from TiVo and use the PLSR code or purchase 3rd party?

That sarcasm brings up an interesting thought. What if you buy lifetime and TiVo did go belly up? I wonder if you could dispute any of the charge. Years ago I had Sunrocket IP phone service. It was $200. for 2 years I think. Anyway a little over a year they went belly up and I disputed the over 1 year old charge and received almost 50% back. The difference may be that Sunrocket stated 2 years and TiVo states lifetime and somewhere in t&c's I bet they have a definition of lifetime which I am sure is not to my advantage.

Last edited by mpnret : 03-24-2014 at 10:18 AM.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #178
jrtroo
User

Odds are that if tivo went belly up a repeat of the replyTV scenario would play out. Somebody would purchase it to provide guide data and receive the royalty payments.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #179
c133roamioerrors

Barring an anti trust violation, Comcast should buy Tivo, quit selling them and provide them as an upgraded monthly fee option. They would continue to provide the Tivo service to those with the lifetime option until all the older Tivos crapped out.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #180
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Barring an anti trust violation, Comcast should buy Tivo, quit selling them and provide them as an upgraded monthly fee option. They would continue to provide the Tivo service to those with the lifetime option until all the older Tivos crapped out.
I really hope you are joking.