TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-23-2014, 04:34 AM   #1
telemark

International Tivo Partner Apps

I figure this might spark wild speculation and false hope but anyway. I saw a couple Android apps for Tivo's international partners, and I'm not 100% sure what I'm really looking at in their UI and screenshots.

So I wanted some faithful Tivo users to chime in and translate, whether this of note, or nothing special.

comhem [Sweden]:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...android.comhem

Virgin [UK]:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dia.tvanywhere

What I think I'm looking at, is the Tivo app rewritten with integrated streaming from the cloud. But I could be wrong so please feel free to correct me.

iOS users can play along here:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tivo...687744157?mt=8

Com Hem TiVo ToGo pƄ iPad
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Old 03-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

I'm not so sure that's its cloud based as much as it is the US version of Tivo streaming that only the Apple IOS devices currently have in the United States.

Rather confirms that the hold up for Android streaming in the United States isn't the technical obstacles but rather the legal issues including the cable companies and content providers that are throwing every roadblock in Tivo's way to prevent such from occurring in the United States.

Both the Swedish and Virgin Tivo Android apps allow streaming of content from the owner's Tivo box, Why hasn't anyone given this more attention?!?!?!?!

This is the list of Android devices supported by the Virgin Tivo app: http://store.virginmedia.com/content...id_devices.pdf

This is the part I fear as while I held off on rooting my new tablet I got last Christmas, all my phones are rooted.

For security reasons and to protect the rights of our content partners Virgin TV Anywhere is not supported on rooted devices, where unauthorised modifications have been made to the operating system.

<<edit>>
I figured I would try it and at the most get my Android streaming.... LOL!

I tried installing them, the Swedish app told me none of my devices were supported so I had no option to install, the Virgin Tivo app installed but when I run it wants me to log in using my Virgin Media email and password which I have none so no fun there either, bummer.....
TiVo Premiere

Last edited by eboydog : 03-23-2014 at 07:07 PM.
eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
telemark

None of my devices are supported either, which is why I posted.

comhem though, I think they're just wanting Android Tablet's instead of phones.

Bummer on Virgin, some versions of some apps will accept MAK instead of a username/password but I guess not this version.

But yah, I do think the Virgin supported list is a warning of what we have to expect.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
bradleys
It'll be fine....

You can't use the TiVo app on rooted IOS devices either. (Without the special tools to fool the app into thinking it isn't rooted)

ComHem wrote their own set of TiVo apps including a browser based version of TiVo desktop...

We have known about that for a while.

The virgin app is interesting, looks like it has been around for about a month - and according to Virgin, still not stable. Tells me two things, android streaming for TiVo is immanent, and that it will only be supported for devices using 4.4 and later.

Quote:
Android 4.4 (KitKat) is now supported. Please note that you may have problems streaming live channels in home mode on some devices. We are working to resolve this. Some devices can only be used to manage your TiVo box but not to watch live TV. Please see the device list for further information **

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 03-23-2014 at 08:47 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

My Samsung tab 3 is listed as working but not supported and it's just 4.2, I suspect the cutoff for official supported will be jelly bean at 4.1 since that's 60% of out devices out there not including newer.

Hard to say until Tivo tells the cable companies to bug off but really Tivo is at the mercy of them, they (the cable companies) are holding all the cards, literally as in cable cards. If the cable companies decide to put Tivo out of business all they have to do is have their lobbyist change the Fcc law pertaining to cable cards, with no cable cards, Tivo would be bankrupt in a year so Tivo has no say in the matter just like the copy once flag business which hurts TTG hard which all cable company bs.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:28 AM   #6
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Rather confirms that the hold up for Android streaming in the United States isn't the technical obstacles but rather the legal issues including the cable companies and content providers that are throwing every roadblock in Tivo's way to prevent such from occurring in the United States.
Whereas it confirms for me that TiVo's overseas partners receive priority development. Europe is where TiVo's growth is these days and Virgin represents about 50% of total TiVo subs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
I'm not so sure that's its cloud based as much as it is the US version of Tivo streaming that only the Apple IOS devices currently have in the United States.
Remember, the overseas boxes are not Roamio with transcoding built in nor do they sell Stream. This is indeed is cloud-based streaming direct from the cable provider. Well, with maybe a few more partners thrown in to glue it all together.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Remember, the overseas boxes are not Roamio with transcoding built in nor do they sell Stream. This is indeed is cloud-based streaming direct from the cable provider. Well, with maybe a few more partners thrown in to glue it all together.
This was exactly the point I was going to make. All I see are references to streaming Live TV for the Virgin App. Before you get too worked up about this, realize that all this is doing is streaming an IP-based feed of all the channels to the Android device. I can do this with my TWC app, and many other Cable Providers offer the same thing. This is NOT what Tivo streaming does. The Tivo setup has to be able to trans-code video, whether recorded or Live, on-the-fly and deliver it securely to keep CableLabs happy. It has to handle trick-play functions, etc. All the Virgin App is doing accessing a URL and displaying the video on screen.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

I think Apple is likely applying pressure on TiVo not the cable companies. Why would cable companies not care if TiVo streams to iCrap and insist not working on American Android devices. Proof that the world wide popularity / preference to Android over iCrap streaming is supported. It is only in North America that iCrap exceeds sales of Android.
----
TiVo Premiere [746320]+WD1TB w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere [746500]+WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #9
telemark

On Virgin, the reviews (complaints) imply it's streaming of Live TV and not from the box nor episodes.

On ComHem, I can tell there's both LiveTV and episodes (because there's skip fwd and skip back, and the scrub bar is full).

I assume neither needs to transcode because it should already be in mpeg4 if a modern deployment.
edit: Well it might still need to be transcoded for bitrate limits, but hard to say not knowing the source material
edit2: You can tell the avg bitrate of their channels from the hours their Tivo holds vs their HD size.

What I wasn't sure about was there any option to get a ComHem episode from their Tivo recordings instead of their servers. I couldn't find any place that demo-ed or mention it. (except the 2 year old press release) Ideally you would never have to get something from your box if it's on the servers but it looked like some shows were not streamable only recordable. I would have expected they would have shown this off in the "Mitt Tivo" (My Tivo) section but I didn't see it, so assume it's not possible.

In the US, Tivo has to get CableLabs approval, don't we know that for sure? Netflix and TWC gets their streaming rights from the media companies when they do a content deal. Tivo is treated like the blacksheep by the media companies, as Tivo does not give any additional revenue to them (actually reduces revenue since consumers are less likely to pay again to view).

Last edited by telemark : 03-24-2014 at 05:47 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote