TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > eBay Auction Central > Buyer/Seller Area
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
TheWGP
Hmmm...

Looking to buy a Series 3 Power Supply for TCD648250B (the OLED)

Well, I discovered my lifetimed Series 3 has a couple of domed caps on the power supply, so I'm looking to replace it - the power supply, that is.

This is the TCD648250B model, the OLED, and the part number for the power supply is apparently SPWR-00008-000

I am aware that I could replace the caps myself, but I can't solder with reliable enough quality to risk this - thanks, lousy fine motor skills (not).

I could seek a local electronics shop, but quite frankly most of the small electronics repair places in my area that I've found (for other electronics repairs) charge $100 minimum to touch anything, usually with some type of "bench fee" before they will even speculate whether they can do the work.

This leads me to think of hiring someone online to do the repair, but that introduces the possibility of shipping damage, and before I go that route, I thought I would see if anyone might have a spare power supply that they'd be willing to sell.

Drop me a PM - it will email me instantly. You can also reply here and that will email me instantly as well.

Thanks!
TheWGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Well, I discovered my lifetimed Series 3 has a couple of domed caps on the power supply, so I'm looking to replace it - the power supply, that is.

This is the TCD648250B model, the OLED, and the part number for the power supply is apparently SPWR-00008-000

I am aware that I could replace the caps myself, but I can't solder with reliable enough quality to risk this - thanks, lousy fine motor skills (not).

I could seek a local electronics shop, but quite frankly most of the small electronics repair places in my area that I've found (for other electronics repairs) charge $100 minimum to touch anything, usually with some type of "bench fee" before they will even speculate whether they can do the work.

This leads me to think of hiring someone online to do the repair, but that introduces the possibility of shipping damage, and before I go that route, I thought I would see if anyone might have a spare power supply that they'd be willing to sell.

Drop me a PM - it will email me instantly. You can also reply here and that will email me instantly as well.

Thanks!
If your hands are steady enough to take out and put back in the screws holding the top on the TiVo and the power supply in the chassis, I'd think you could replace caps on the power supply board.

It's about as simple and straightforward a soldering job as exists, single layer through hole board.

What part of the country are you in?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #3
TheWGP
Hmmm...

Yeah, I've had really bad experiences trying soldering in the past, even as simple as this. I've PM'd you my location.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
telemark

Shipping can be as low as $12, total for the round trip with insurance.

I would think it's very unlikely to have shipping damage on something as solid as a power supply, when packed properly.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
TheWGP
Hmmm...

Quote:
Shipping can be as low as $12, total for the round trip with insurance.

I would think it's very unlikely to have shipping damage on something as solid as a power supply, when packed properly.
Are you implying you could offer a cap replacement service for an appropriate fee? :P I'm open to the idea of shipping if anyone's got a soldering iron, a steady hand, and some time to make some cash for doing it.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
squint

Where are you located? I'll do capacitor replacements for the truly desperate.

I'm located near Sacramento, probably moving out of state in a few months though.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote