TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
JZ1276

So what's the bottom line on Fios & MPEG-4 channels??

Just recently noticed a bunch of my Fios channels are gone. After wasting hours on the phone with Verizon reps I decided to Google the problem and find the reason for the loss of channels myself. Apparently this is old news. Without going through tons of pages, I'm assuming Tivo never issued an update for this problem. So how did everyone handle it? Suck it up? Upgrade their Tivo?
JZ1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I wouldn't assume that MPEG-4 is the issue. Another possibility is an unpaired CableCard, with channels getting newly flagged with copy prohibition. Which channels are you losing? What's your location?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
JZ1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I wouldn't assume that MPEG-4 is the issue. Another possibility is an unpaired CableCard, with channels getting newly flagged with copy prohibition. Which channels are you losing? What's your location?
MPEG-4 is definitely the issue without question. TivoHD is not compatible with it. MGMHD, Comedy and SonyHD are some channels I have lost just to name a few. I was on the phone with a Verizon rep for 2 hrs the other day trying to resolve this matter. After trying everything under the sun to fix and nothing working, he thought it might be the cablecard and sent me another which I received today. I paired it with the Tivo and have the same problem. This is when I took matters into my own hands and started Googling. I am on Long Island BTW.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
MGMHD, Comedy and SonyHD are some channels I have lost just to name a few.
Assuming you mean Comedy.TV (and not Comedy Central), yeah, those are MPEG-4 channels now on Fios.

I guess I went with "upgrade my TiVos", although it wasn't really for that reason. The MPEG-4 channels do work on Premieres and Roamios.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
HerronScott

You might call TiVo as I believe they were offering some upgrade options for people with S3s and HDs whose cable vendor was moving to MPEG-4.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
JZ1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
You might call TiVo as I believe they were offering some upgrade options for people with S3s and HDs whose cable vendor was moving to MPEG-4.

Scott
I actually just did and they gave me an awesome deal... Roamio with Lifetime for $150.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
hfcsyrup

Quote:
I actually just did and they gave me an awesome deal... Roamio with Lifetime for $150.
Wow, really? I have FIOS and an HD and S3. How did you get that? Just call and complain?
hfcsyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
fagandesign

hfcsyrp, call Tivo support. FYI, my two HD boxes were compromised a few weeks ago by a software update that TiVo pushed to just a few select customers. It blocked out all non-network channels, and disabled our equipment. If you are having problems that sound like this, you should call them and tell them. You might also check your email for a notice about a software update. They are being very accommodating and replacing all the equipment effected by this.
fagandesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
JZ1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfcsyrup View Post
Wow, really? I have FIOS and an HD and S3. How did you get that? Just call and complain?
I called them, but I didnt complain. I explained the situation and asked if he knew of any plans for a software update that will allow compatibility with MPEG-4 compression. That led to holding on for a bunch of times for a total of about a half hour while he spoke to a supervisor. I was polite and very patient. He was telling me he got lucky with a good supervisor and deals like this are very rare blah blah blah. He might have no been ********ting but who knows. The way he set it up was all screwy though. He said there was going to be a temporary charge on my debit card for $379 which there is (has been 'processing' since the day I spoke to him). I also got an email for an RMA for a fee of $165 and dont know what thats all about either. Looked on the Tivo website under my account and there is nothing there about any of this under purchases. Bottom line was that he said he was putting it in as an exchange but I did NOT need to send my old one back and that he was shipping a new Roamio with Lifetime for $150 total.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #10
das335

I contacted TiVo support today and asked about any update program for Series 3 owners that had problems with Verizon FIOS and Mpeg-4 channels.

The tech support rep was very friendly and knew exactly what I was asking about. It sounded like there was an official program and he explained that I had two (2) upgrade option, Premiere or Roamio.

I thought it was going work out until I asked for the price and he told me that was a "Sales" issue and transferred me.

I spoke with a Sales rep and she was very nice but only offered me an exchange to a Premiere for $399. Since I have product lifetime on my TiVo HD, I passed on that option.
das335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #11
JZ1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by das335 View Post
I contacted TiVo support today and asked about any update program for Series 3 owners that had problems with Verizon FIOS and Mpeg-4 channels.

The tech support rep was very friendly and knew exactly what I was asking about. It sounded like there was an official program and he explained that I had two (2) upgrade option, Premiere or Roamio.

I thought it was going work out until I asked for the price and he told me that was a "Sales" issue and transferred me.

I spoke with a Sales rep and she was very nice but only offered me an exchange to a Premiere for $399. Since I have product lifetime on my TiVo HD, I passed on that option.
Yes, the rep I spoke to mentioned that program to me but told me it had expired in 2013 thats why he gave me "such a good deal".
Old 03-23-2014, 01:55 AM   #12
JZ1276

So the Roamio came yesterday. It's all set up and now I am unable to receive all HBOs and all Cinemax channels. I upgraded just because I was unable to receive a couple of these MPEG 4 channels and now I am not receiving more channels with the new model than I did with the older model. Not to mention, I was supposed to be charged $150, but was charged over $300 ! Already called Verizon and everything is OK on their end. In the morning I am going to call Tivo. I'm about to just set the new model back and go with a Fios DVR.

UPDATE: OK the problem with HBO/Cinemax is fixed. I'm posting the fix in case anyone else runs into the issue. After calling TWO Fios agents and getting nowhere, I did some more searching and found the solution on this forum.
You need to use a specific M card with the model number 514517-017-00. I was lucky enough to already have this card. Then you need to call and speak to an agent and ask them to "Manually validate the card because HBO/Cinemax are copy protected and arent available with your Tivo". That should be it.

Now, I just need to call Tivo and ask them why they charged me $320 instead of the $150 deal they promised me.

Last edited by JZ1276 : 03-23-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:39 AM   #13
teasip

How'd the TiVo discussion work out? I'm debating trying the new FiOS DVR when it becomes available in my VHO but it sounds like the unit won't perform a dual tuner, live buffer to where you can switch back/forth between programs like I do with my TiVo HD.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:05 PM   #14
JZ1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasip View Post
How'd the TiVo discussion work out? I'm debating trying the new FiOS DVR when it becomes available in my VHO but it sounds like the unit won't perform a dual tuner, live buffer to where you can switch back/forth between programs like I do with my TiVo HD.

Everything is finally done. They screwed up and issued me a refund. Roamio is nice, was worth the hassles.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #15
teasip

You got to keep the old one I see from a prior discussion with TiVo customer service. If this is correct, is there any service still associated with the HD since the original lifetime was switched over to the Roamio? The reason I'm asking is that I've got an HD with lifetime but have given consideration to moving it to a bedroom for channel guide information on an OTA signal only
Old 03-31-2014, 01:24 PM   #16
JZ1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasip View Post
You got to keep the old one I see from a prior discussion with TiVo customer service. If this is correct, is there any service still associated with the HD since the original lifetime was switched over to the Roamio? The reason I'm asking is that I've got an HD with lifetime but have given consideration to moving it to a bedroom for channel guide information on an OTA signal only
I havent tried yet but I'm wondering that myself. I'll prob check it out over the wknd and get back to you.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:24 PM   #17
teasip

I would appreciate it! Thanks for the additional information.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:14 PM   #18
jwbelcher

Quote:
Everything is finally done. They screwed up and issued me a refund. Roamio is nice, was worth the hassles.
I'd say so for $150
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #19
teasip

I just checked with TiVo chat and was referred to phone customer service. Chat CSR said the program ended last April (as noted above). The new Verizon DVR is available as of today in my zip code and I had wanted to compare prices. Verizon cost for one television would be ~$35/mo. (after returning the cable card). I would be able to keep my TiVo HD for OTA/guide data in the bedroom. Since no TiVo offer was made I don't know if I would be allowed to keep my TiVo HD as was the case above, and if so, what any monthly service cost would be since using the above example I would be transferring the lifetime to a Roamio, IF allowed.

It would seem to be a no-brainer to go the Roamio route if lifetime were transferred and I was allowed to keep the TiVO HD. Breakeven for the base Roamio would be 4-5 months.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #20
mjg87

I called them about this issue, went through about 3 CSRs only to end up with a quoted price of $750 for Roamio Plus and Lifetime. Guess I'm sticking with my HD for awhile longer.
mjg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #21
JZ1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg87 View Post
I called them about this issue, went through about 3 CSRs only to end up with a quoted price of $750 for Roamio Plus and Lifetime. Guess I'm sticking with my HD for awhile longer.
Looks like I got very lucky when I called. My friend also has a TivoHD with Fios and after I told him about the deal they offered me he tried calling but was also quoted around the same as you.
Anyway, I've really been enjoying my $150 Roamio with free lifetime suckers.