TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #31
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Now that the specifics of your cable network have been fully and thoroughly disclosed, as well as most of mine, I can agree with non BS-calling part of the initial post that started this conversation.

Would I ever recommend a <1Ghz rated splitter to anybody, without knowing details they might not even know? Still, no. I'd err on the side of caution. If somebody asked if <1Ghz might work (in a pinch, temporarily, etc), without knowing cable network specifics, I'd say it depends on many factors, and it's just easier (although often at higher cost) to get 1Ghz ones, if they don't know their cable network specifics.

It would be logical to figure that the larger the MoCA network, the larger the house, the longer the coax runs (as well as age/quality/ratings of the coax), an increased number of splitters, and many other factors, could logically make your 860Mhz splitters an issue. The 1Ghz ones *should* marginally produce a better level of signal, SNR, and isolation, if used on a <1Ghz cable network. Your own statements would back this up, theoretically speaking.

Yes, my cable network may be one of very few like it, if there even are any identical to it (Fully-used 1Ghz, w/analog, w/SDV, with DOCSIS 2 & 3 supported). It is an oddball one, very temperamental, and very sensitive to the point of what is "in-spec" can fail to work, due to loose manufacturing tolerances.

Your cable network is over-due for an upgrade, to even use the 860Mhz rating of your splitters. It's where my network was at ~12 years ago (minus analog, which I think you said you no longer have) and mine was using 1Ghz splitters at that time (I swear on that). At the time, finding 1Ghz splitters in retail stores was absurdly cost-prohibitive (when you even could find them), but that was ~12 years ago.

So, yes, my cable network is an oddball. Yes, MoCA is designed to power-through anything except a PoE filter. Yes, it can power-through <1Ghz splitters (to a point). I still think you have a situation where you lucked-out that it all works satisfactorily for you. In the end, you were right, in your original post, since you stated <1Ghz splitters work for you. Like I said initially, I just felt your post could give a false sense of security to some, and leave some wondering why their MoCA network didn't work, or was underperforming/unstable/unreliable. Actually, the more likely scenario could end up being that their MoCA network might work fine, but their Cable TV and/or cable modem reliability could, technically, go south (because of the sheer strength of MoCA signals, pushing past places where the Cable Network signals may not have the strength to do so. MoCA can get past port-to-port isolation, in 1Ghz splitters, which generally have a very high isolation rating (unlike older splitters, which tended to have much less isolation regardless of upper frequency rating).

I'll even take back what I said about your splitters being unacceptable, and what I said about them being out-of-spec (in situations like yours, now that I know your situation).

I think this is pretty much wrapped-up.
The original post, which wasn't yours, said that you must have 1ghz splitters for MoCA to work. I called BS on that, because it is factually wrong.

Today, it's a good idea to use all 2ghz splitters and 3ghz cabling, but if someone has some 860mhz splitters laying around, no harm in using them unless there are problems.

Yeah, I wish we would get the 860mhz rebuild, although they could do the same thing with MPEG-4. The best would be MPEG-4 AND 860mhz. Luckily, Comcast doesn't use SDV.

Yeah, MoCA is far more resilient than the cable signals, so anything that works with the cable signals should work fine with MoCA, unless there specifically is a filter in the middle somewhere.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:50 PM   #32
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
The original post, which wasn't yours, said that you must have 1ghz splitters for MoCA to work. I called BS on that, because it is factually wrong.

Today, it's a good idea to use all 2ghz splitters and 3ghz cabling, but if someone has some 860mhz splitters laying around, no harm in using them unless there are problems.

Yeah, I wish we would get the 860mhz rebuild, although they could do the same thing with MPEG-4. The best would be MPEG-4 AND 860mhz. Luckily, Comcast doesn't use SDV.

Yeah, MoCA is far more resilient than the cable signals, so anything that works with the cable signals should work fine with MoCA, unless there specifically is a filter in the middle somewhere.
I agree.

What I meant when I said "initial post that started this conversation", was the first/initial post of yours I quoted, which started our conversation, not a reference to Original Post or, post #1.

Thanks for being a part in turning things around in our conversation. I have more respect for you after this conversation.

Bonus: We added some details that may actually help other people, when the dust was settling.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #33
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I agree.

What I meant when I said "initial post that started this conversation", was the first/initial post of yours I quoted, which started our conversation, not a reference to Original Post or, post #1.

Thanks for being a part in turning things around in our conversation. I have more respect for you after this conversation.

Bonus: We added some details that may actually help other people, when the dust was settling.
I'm not sure which post that was, but at this point, it doesn't really matter. That conversation got too long to keep track of...

Thanks.

Yeah, there's some useful intformation somewhere in there, if anyone can wade through all the posts.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote