TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
Dougmeister

Better to sell Series 3 with a "stock" HD or an upgraded 1TB HD?

I fixed a friend's Series 3 by putting my original Premiere 320GB drive in (reformatted, of course, with a clean Premiere (Edit: SERIES 3!) image on it, via WinMFS).

Now that I know it was the hard drive, what is the best way to sell it? With the 320 GB or *buy* a 1 TB and sell it for a little bit more?

Last edited by Dougmeister : 03-23-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Dougmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:11 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougmeister View Post
I fixed a friend's Series 3 by putting my original Premiere 320GB drive in (reformatted, of course, with a clean Premiere image on it, via WinMFS).

Now that I know it was the hard drive, what is the best way to sell it? With the 320 GB or *buy* a 1 TB and sell a little more?
Is it lifetimed?

If not, it's basically a parts machine--$50 if you're lucky, pretty much regardless of hard drive size.

If it is, they'll be buying it for the lifetime sub, and if they want a bigger hard drive would probably rather go $100 on a 2TB than around $70 for a 1TB.

I'm pretty sure you did not fix anything by putting a clean Premiere image into a Series3, however, regardless of the size of the drive on which you put it, but if you really got an S3 to work with S4 software, I'm sure that would be of great interest to several people around here.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
Dougmeister

Oops. You caught me. I meant "clean Series 3" image. D'oh.

It has a lifetime subscription.

So we'll make more in the end by buying a 2TB drive than by selling it "as is" with a 320GB hard drive (that is 2 years old, but hasn't been used; sat on my office shelf; upgraded it the day I bought it).
Old 03-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Oops. You caught me. I meant "clean Series 3" image. D'oh.

It has a lifetime subscription.

So we'll make more in the end by buying a 2TB drive than by selling it "as is" with a 320GB hard drive (that is 2 years old, but hasn't been used; sat on my office shelf; upgraded it the day I bought it).
What I meant was a prospective buyer would more likely want to get it cheap and put in a 2TB themselves, although you could offer it with the 320 and an option for you to put a 2TB in for them for extra money.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
Dougmeister

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
andriusb

Spend the $50 on a 1TB drive, and charge $100 more if you can, especially if it has lifetime sub. If no lifetime sub, bag it.
andriusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
Dougmeister

Where can I get a 1TB drive for $50?
Old 04-24-2014, 04:21 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Where can I get a 1TB drive for $50?
I'd actually feel better about trusting the 320 from the Premiere than a 1TB you'd get for $50, because at that price it's probably a refurb with who knows what history, and a 90 day warranty you'd probably never be able to get honored.

You might catch a good new one for $60 on sale from newegg or Amazon (just make sure you're buying from them and not from a 3rd party through them).

Old 04-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #9
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'd actually feel better about trusting the 320 from the Premiere than a 1TB you'd get for $50, because at that price it's probably a refurb with who knows what history, and a 90 day warranty you'd probably never be able to get honored.
+1. Installing a new, larger drive may generate more interest in the sale, but it probably won't net you much in the way of profit. The lifetime sub is the main attraction and getting more capacity is just icing on the cake. Prospective Tivo buyers with any savvy will know they can upgrade the drive themselves.

However, if you decide to upgrade the drive, make sure you specify that the drive is new with the full manufacturer's warranty. Tivo drives and any OEM drives used in consumer epuipment such as DVRs tend to have a drastically shorter warranty than retail drives purchased separately.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote