TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
mbonaparte

Totally lost with MoCa/Mini setup

I just purchased a Mini and am trying to setup MoCa with my TWC tuning adapter. I have seen multiple sketches but I am still confused. I have a plain Roamio, no built in MoCa. Any help is greatly appreciated. I understand the Mini end of the setup, but not the MoCa/Tuning Adapter/Roamio links. From what Iíve read I seem to have the worst possible equipment for the Mini to work well.

Thank you for any and all help.
mbonaparte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

With a base Roamio, you'll need a moca adapter connected to the modem/router to create a moca network.

If your Roamio is currently wireless, it'll need to be changed to a wired correction -- either ethernet or a second moca adapter.

If you decide to use a second moca adapter for the Tivo, get a splitter (at least 1 GHz) to deal with the tuning adapter behind the Tivo.

- One leg goes to the tuning adapter. Connect the USB to the Tivo. (Don't use the TA's RF-out.)
- Second leg connects to the moca adapter. Connect the RF-out to the Tivo's cable-in. Connect included ethernet cable from moca adapter to Tivo.

The Mini will be plug-and-play. Creating the moca network and getting the Roamio wired if it's not already is the part that requires some work.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 03-22-2014 at 04:23 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
tarheelblue32

Okay so, let's try to keep it simple. You will probably need to buy 2 moca adapters (one to use at your router and one to use at the Roamio). You can buy a 2-pack of moca adapters directly from TiVo:

https://tivo.com/shop/detail/moca-2

You will also want to throw in at least one moca point-of-entry (POE) filter into your order:

https://tivo.com/shop/detail/moca-poe

And you'll want to buy a high-frequency splitter to split the line between the Roamio and the Tuning Adapter like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You install the POE filter where the main cable line comes into your house before any splits. You hook one moca adapter up to your router as shown in the diagram above. You hook up the other one to your Roamio as described above. If you have any questions about this, don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 03-22-2014 at 04:56 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote