TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #31
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Looks like a Roamio may be in my future. Does anyone know if there is any difference in TA interaction among the three Roamio models?
Don't know the specific answer to your question, but the Plus and Pro models are identical except for the size of the hard drive, so those 2 would almost certainly interact the exact same way.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 03-21-2014 at 08:56 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:54 PM   #32
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
All in all SDV isn't a bad technology. For most people it works seamlessly.
Not entirely. Looking back on the time when I had a Time Warner DVR and cable boxes, I would from time to time get messages that went something like "channel not available, try again later". At the time I did not understand what caused this, but in retrospect they were almost certainly SDV tuning failures.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #33
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
That is the message I get. Rebooting the TiVo alone does not fix it, while just pulling power from the TA, waiting 30 seconds, then reconnecting power to the TA, and waiting for about 2 minutes, gives the "tuning adapter connected" message, and all channels work, without doing more with the TiVo, no TiVo rebooting required. What shows up on the TV screen when this happens to me is something like "The TiVo could not tune to the channel", with no V.__ error, or any options to re-attempt, and changing to any channel displays the same error, which is exclusive to this TA lock-up state, AFAIK.

What's missing (and makes me wonder if there might be some tiny issue with how the TiVo interacts with the TA) is the "tuning adapter disconnected" message, which you will see if you pull power to a working TA, or disconnect the USB cable, while everything is working.

For those who haven't explored enough to find this out: Rebooting the TiVo does not reboot the TA. The only reason the TA light flashes, while a TiVo is rebooting, is due to loss of USB communication, until the TiVo has booted far enough to restore it. So, if your are about to reboot your TiVo for any reason, it might be a good idea (and perfect time) to pull power to the TA as soon as the reboot starts, and wait at least 10 seconds to plug the power back in.

I pull power at the back of the TA, because the power brick stores enough residual power to make the amount of time it takes to get a full and proper reboot much longer. It's a PITA, but if you want the cleanest and quickest way, at the back of TA is the way to go.
Yep, sounds very very similar. The only diff is that I just had black screens (no on-screen error messages) and all my tuner statuses were "Response Pending". I was very shocked because it also happened on the TivoHD too. I've had the HD since 2008 and never had a TA lock up like this. I'm wondering if the cable companies are doing stuff behind the scenes that cause these types of errors to occur.

I've not read anyone complain about this in the forums until this week. How long as this been going on for you? I'm curious if its somehow recently started across cable providers... I'm still not sure to blame Tivo, since my TivoHD just had the issue and hasn't had a major s/w upgrade in years.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:33 AM   #34
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Yep, sounds very very similar. The only diff is that I just had black screens (no on-screen error messages) and all my tuner statuses were "Response Pending". I was very shocked because it also happened on the TivoHD too. I've had the HD since 2008 and never had a TA lock up like this. I'm wondering if the cable companies are doing stuff behind the scenes that cause these types of errors to occur.

I've not read anyone complain about this in the forums until this week. How long as this been going on for you? I'm curious if its somehow recently started across cable providers... I'm still not sure to blame Tivo, since my TivoHD just had the issue and hasn't had a major s/w upgrade in years.
For the most part, and for quite some time, this forum has been eerily like a ghost town, when it comes to on-topic threads. The off-topic areas are still going strong, but I don't subscribe to those...

I have a few things going on that I keep neglecting to start threads on. To answer your question, this started around the same time as the "random reboots" that brought some life back to the the forum.

What was a bit scary, was how many people went straight to the upgrade threads, asking what replacement drive to buy, convinced theirs had gone bad. I was thinking the same thing when it was one out of three. When it was three out of three randomly rebooting, it was clear the drive was not to blame.

I've had other varieties of TA issues where I lose SDV channels only, and a TA power-cycle is required.

I've also had (continue to have) an issue with all three Roamio base models acting like I have a faulty HDMI cable, or a bad HDMI cable connection, with some phantom force wiggling the cable around for me. It used to be if I backed-up in the recording, or buffer, I'd get the same loss of picture and sound with a loud pop at the loss, and another loud pop upon restored A/V, in the same place, fully repeatable. No A/V receiver is in use, direct to TV. I've done all the proper diags and due-diligence measures. It's isolated to the TiVos, and nothing else. I've tried changing my fixed output to 1080i, instead of 1080p, with no luck. What is odd, is that since TiVo changed whatever the TiVo service was doing to cause the random reboots, now I can go back in the recording or buffer, or live buffer, and the dropout will be gone. So, a completely repeatable behavior in one way, now becomes completely random as soon as TiVoMargret says they have fixed what the TiVo service was doing to incite random reboots, cross-platform. What am I supposed to think, given that the behavior changed in such a formidable way? Since base Roamios don't come with component ports, or even a breakout cable, I can try as a test.

I'd ask for log monitoring, except I'm running on upgraded drives, and don't want to invite TiVo to spot and document it. I'm always waiting for somebody with stock drives to report the same problem, or problems, so I can ask them to volunteer for log monitoring.

Sorry for going OT on so much. I'm reaching the threshold, where you may see me actually start several threads on each individual matter, and I'll have reached the breaking point, where I am no longer a happy camper with my Roamios, and start venting my frustration in every way I can...
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote